Old November 23, 2003, 20:55   #1
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Proposed Report on Civ2 Demo3# Game to Apolyton
How does this look as a game report? Corrections and suggestions desired.

"Civ2 Democracy Game #3

The Apolyton Imperium has successfully defeated the other Civs of the world to spread its color across the map into the least niche. We placed severe restrictions upon ourselves in this challenge: Build no Wonders, conduct no trade by Caravans, no ICS, raging Barbs, civs re-spawning, bloodlust victory. And while we did not forbid ourselves it, we got through without Republic, Democracy, or Communism.

In addition, we desired a land map so that we could not use naval warfare (the super-Ironclad strategy having been so successful in the previous game). Atomant provided a map he promised would be both land-only and challenging, and his map lived up to that promise; it was truly unusual and unique! We were never sure what sort of terrain was just over the horizon, and much of it was really difficult to deal with.

The fist civ we seriously attacked were the Japanese. We discovered then NW of our area, and decided to attack from an unexpected direction. Getting north of them with Legions, Archers, and Horsemen, we came down upon their closest city by surprise and in force, setting the pattern for the rest of our efforts (choose a target, obtain tactical superiority, and strike hard). We carefully took advantage of Mountains and rivers, and Osaka was ours. The Japanese only had a few cities, but they were tricky about it. They even managed to build one in our own territory. It took some effort to eliminate them.

At the earlier times, the Romans were difficult to defeat with their Legions on defensive city-sites. After that, we faced the Americans based on a huge river delta where every square for a 15 x 6 grid was river! Their production and trade was considerable and we had to bribe and beat our way through every city at great cost. Plus, the Americans had destroyed a civ on their own and were well-dispersed across the map. Just finding all their cities was a major effort!

The Greeks had been agressively at our cities from the start, but they were numerous and militaristic. We decided to protect our border against them and delay their destruction until later. Still, we had to face constant sorties into our core territory for a long time until we could build a wall of defensive positions to prevent encroachment. As it turned out, the Greeks (our nearest enemies) were the last to go.

The Russians (respawned from the Apolyton Imperium-defeated Romans) were no problem, but the Zulus (repawned from the Japanese) took some time to defeat after our costly battles with the Romans and Americans. We had barely gotten our Railroad network into construction, so we had laborious land movements of Cannons, Riflemen, and Diplomats through Forests and Hills. There were some real tactical set-battles in that campaign, trying to get one-move units to engage the Zulu cities without exposing ourselves to significant damage from city defenders when we were adjacent to the cities. At the same time, the Germans were sending units into the Zulu Front to harrass and destroy our units from behind.

About the time we destroyed the Zulus, our Railroad network construction began to go into full swing with dozens of Engineers in action at many locations, and we were able to extend RR and Insta-forts right up to enemy city gates!

From the Zululand, we were able to get at the Germans finally, and we went through them with hosts of Diplomats to take down City Walls and Cannons and Cavalry to beat them down when we ran low on Diplomats. It was a bloody campaign, but we eliminated the Germans finally in 1853 and we had an army of 81 Diplomats, 57 Cavalry, and 47 Cannon left to remove the heathen Greeks from our Fundamentalist world! And more of each were being built in our cities all the time.

The Greeks had 22 cities left in their annoying democratic civilization. With no bribing possible, we went at them hammer and tong, straight-on mano y mano. The result was bloody and satisfactory. The Greek civilization went down fighting, but they went down. We had 110+ cities by that time ( not ICS, just mostly capture and logical settlements for specials or transportation reasons), they had 22 cities; the end result was never in doubt.

Given the restrictions, Fundamentalism turned out best for us. We developed a strategy of celebrating “We Love the High Priest Day” in most of our cities and watched the tithes come rolling in. We bribed many cities before the other civs learned to switch to Democracy. When we could no longer bribe, we attacked with Cavalry, Cannons, and Diplomats (every city we attacked had Walls). We beat many of the Walls down, and we sabotaged other city’s Walls with waves of Diplomats. The international Railroad system we constructed with armies of Engineers became essential to our victory.

The “Chosen Ones” of the Apolyton Imperium Fundamentalist civilization rule all the land and all of the people! Peace and conformity have been extended to all everywhere and such shall be all the days to come."
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Last edited by cavebear; November 23, 2003 at 21:35.
Old November 23, 2003, 21:08   #2
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

A couple minor points......
By the time of 1852 we have 108 cities (you said 80+ and the number by that point should have been 110+ cities).......but you also said how we didn't use ICS'ing, perhaps this could be explained (how we didn't ics yet had 110+ cities).

Also, I think we should at least mention the Japanese, they were our first opponent, and the battles with them should not be forgotten.
Old November 23, 2003, 21:40   #3
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

See if you can't collect a statment from the earlier presidents. Without a historian, it would be nice to get their comments.

Once I'm finished wading through the opposition, I'll take a shot of our total casualties. We are over 50 calvary.
Old November 23, 2003, 21:41   #4
cavebear
Emperor

Thanks, I have edited the report above to reflect your suggestions. I had forgotten about the Japanese, and I didn't realize how many cities we had accumulated! Wow!

Any other parts I left out or described wrong? I'll be waiting to send this until the game is actually over, of course.

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old November 24, 2003, 13:13   #5
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 15:08
Looks good
Old December 5, 2003, 16:04   #6
cavebear
Emperor

Now that the game is over, does the report still look good? Or do the numbers of cities and units need to change?
Old December 5, 2003, 19:58   #7
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Not sure about "every city" having walls.....I think this could be "virtually every city" instead, but Ben Kenobi can verify this.

In the first line of the paragraph about the japanese, you have a minor spelling error....."then" should read "them"

I think there should at least be some mention of Xinning, and perhaps refer to our rational for it, (Monarchy we our Government, and massive Waste, Corruption and Unhappiness, as well as unit support...we wanted to switch to another government, but our science was too slow to switch soon to either Fundie or Commie, and the representative governments were not options)

Also, I would like to see a mention of the lateness of us getting Monarchy, and the extended period of Despotism. (perhaps a reference to the huts we popped hoping to get Monarchy?)

All in all the summary looks great, you have done a good job summarizing, my suggestions are minor at best.

/me
Old December 5, 2003, 20:12   #8
cavebear
Emperor

Good points to mention, Sparrowhawk.

Any others before I edit the report?
Old December 6, 2003, 21:35   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:08
Local Date: November 3, 2010
What would you want from former Presidents?

I was the first, IIRC....

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 6, 2003, 21:59   #10
cavebear
Emperor

Anything that might add to our report of the game and perhaps interest new participants.
Old December 16, 2003, 14:13   #11
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Do you still plan on editing this prior to sending it in?
(also, did any of the Presidents/Former Presidents send reports?...it would be great to see the presidents all have some input into this, and seeing as there arn't that many, this should be too difficult....is it?)

Edit: If memory serves the Presidents were: MrWhereItsAt, John123, Shade, Cavebear, Six Thousand Year Old Man, atawa and Ben Kenobi...did I miss anyone?
Old December 17, 2003, 06:31   #12
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

I did not send a report since the most recent events are quite fresh in our mind.

The only real decisions I had to make were how to allocate the money, and logistical issues, where to fight with the diplomats, and where to steamroll over the cities.

I do think I conquered around 60 cities in our turn, throwing all our cash from Mike's chapel into the construction of military troops, diplomats and engineers. I added 50% more engineers, and essentially constructed our modern army of veteran Calvary and diplomats.

As for the other presidents, I think our decision to move our capital stands as a very interesting tactic, in order to discourage bribery of Mike's Chapel, we moved our capital to the city where the wonder resided, even though this city was so close to our front.

Secondly, the Xinning ought to be emphasised, since Shade spent so much time Xinning for science in order to advance our meagre tax rate without trade. The distance precluded any assault through Crooks and Cannons familiar to most of us in a conquest game.
Old December 17, 2003, 19:47   #13
cavebear
Emperor

I will add:

"Notable events of the game:

1. Xinning intensely in Fundamentalism to improve our meager science rate.

2. Converting massive happiness into gold after taking Mike's Chapel as a Fundamentalist government. The immense amounts of gold allowed great city-bribing and unit-rushing.

3. Moving our capital to the captured city holding Mike's Chapel even though that city was on the front line of battle. This protected us from counter-bribery by the Germans who were cash-rich.

4. We conquered the other civs after that by producing 50-90 each Cavalry, Engineers, and Diplomats, with which we constructed rapid RRs, bribed cities, and overran unbribable cities.

We are now planning Civ2 Demo Game #4 and considering changes to our previous style of game management. New participants are welcome!"
Old December 18, 2003, 01:02   #14
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

I have located one or two of the saves I used as Prez. I will look at them and see if I can remember anything from as far back as 4000BC!

Old December 18, 2003, 14:40   #15
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Cavebear,
Are you still going to add the points the above revisions before sending? (such as the extended period of despotism, the massive hut tipping, and the debate over whether to switch to Republic, stop hut tipping, etc in order to discover Monarchy)

In my opinion this was one of the keys to the early game, had we gotten monarchy earlier, the game might have ended much sooner (though we will never know now of course )
Old December 18, 2003, 19:37   #16
cavebear
Emperor

OK, here is a revised game report. Any other changes?

"Civ2 Democracy Game #3

The Apolyton Imperium has successfully defeated the other Civs of the world to spread its color across the map into the least niche. We placed severe restrictions upon ourselves in this challenge: Build no Wonders, conduct no trade by Caravans, no ICS, raging Barbs, civs re-spawning, bloodlust victory. And while we did not forbid ourselves it, we got through without Republic, Democracy, or Communism.

In addition, we desired a land map so that we could not use naval warfare (the super-Ironclad strategy having been so successful in the previous game). Atomant provided a map he promised would be both land-only and challenging, and his map lived up to that promise; it was truly unusual and unique! We were never sure what sort of terrain was just over the horizon, and much of it was really difficult to deal with.
We were stuck in Despotism until 725 BC. Our starting position was nearly “specials-free”, and those available were on fields of tundra and ice (even near the equator – it was a strange map). With paltry resources, we decided to focus of huts for our science advancements. By the time we were trying to get Monarchy, our science rate was 43 turns even at 60% science. This delay made it very difficult to accumulate gold and techs, and we were well behind the other civs. When Republic became available, we had far too many units to accommodate the shield-support demands. Those were troubled times indeed!

The fist civ we seriously attacked were the Japanese. We discovered then NW of our area, and decided to attack from an unexpected direction. Getting north of them with Legions, Archers, and Horsemen, we came down upon their closest city by surprise and in force, setting the pattern for the rest of our efforts (choose a target, obtain tactical superiority, and strike hard). We carefully took advantage of Mountains and rivers, and Osaka was ours. The Japanese only had a few cities, but they were tricky about it. They even managed to build one in our own territory. It took some effort to eliminate them.

At the earlier times, the Romans were difficult to defeat with their Legions on defensive city-sites. After that, we faced the Americans based on a huge river delta where every square for a 15 x 6 grid was river! Their production and trade was considerable and we had to bribe and beat our way through every city at great cost. Plus, the Americans had destroyed a civ on their own and were well-dispersed across the map. Just finding all their cities was a major effort!

The Greeks had been agressively at our cities from the start, but they were numerous and militaristic. We decided to protect our border against them and delay their destruction until later. Still, we had to face constant sorties into our core territory for a long time until we could build a wall of defensive positions to prevent encroachment. As it turned out, the Greeks (our nearest enemies) were the last to go.

The Russians (respawned from the Apolyton Imperium-defeated Romans) were no problem, but the Zulus (repawned from the Japanese) took some time to defeat after our costly battles with the Romans and Americans. We had barely gotten our Railroad network into construction, so we had laborious land movements of Cannons, Riflemen, and Diplomats through Forests and Hills. There were some real tactical set-battles in that campaign, trying to get one-move units to engage the Zulu cities without exposing ourselves to significant damage from city defenders when we were adjacent to the cities. At the same time, the Germans were sending units into the Zulu Front to harrass and destroy our units from behind.

About the time we destroyed the Zulus, our Railroad network construction began to go into full swing with dozens of Engineers in action at many locations, and we were able to extend RR and Insta-forts right up to enemy city gates!

From the Zululand, we were able to get at the Germans finally, and we went through them with hosts of Diplomats to take down City Walls and Cannons and Cavalry to beat them down when we ran low on Diplomats. It was a bloody campaign, but we eliminated the Germans finally in 1853 and we had an army of 81 Diplomats, 57 Cavalry, and 47 Cannon left to remove the heathen Greeks from our Fundamentalist world! And more of each were being built in our cities all the time.

The Greeks had 22 cities left in their annoying democratic civilization. With no bribing possible, we went at them hammer and tong, straight-on mano y mano. The result was bloody and satisfactory. The Greek civilization went down fighting, but they went down. We had 110+ cities by that time ( not ICS, just mostly capture and logical settlements for specials or transportation reasons), they had 22 cities; the end result was never in doubt.

Given the restrictions, Fundamentalism turned out best for us. We developed a strategy of celebrating “We Love the High Priest Day” in most of our cities and watched the tithes come rolling in. We bribed many cities before the other civs learned to switch to Democracy. When we could no longer bribe, we attacked with Cavalry, Cannons, and Diplomats (almost every city we attacked had Walls). We beat many of the Walls down, and we sabotaged other city’s Walls with waves of Diplomats. The international Railroad system we constructed with armies of Engineers became essential to our victory.

The “Chosen Ones” of the Apolyton Imperium Fundamentalist civilization rule all the land and all of the people! Peace and conformity have been extended to all everywhere and such shall be all the days to come.
Notable events of the game:

1. Xinning intensely in Fundamentalism to improve our meager science rate.

2. Converting massive happiness into gold after taking Mike's Chapel as a Fundamentalist government. The immense amounts of gold allowed great city-bribing and unit-rushing.

3. Moving our capital to the captured city holding Mike's Chapel even though that city was on the front line of battle. This protected us from counter-bribery by the Germans who were cash-rich.

4. We conquered the other civs after that by producing 50-90 each Cavalry, Engineers, and Diplomats, with which we constructed rapid RRs, bribed cities, and overran unbribable cities.

We are now planning Civ2 Demo Game #4 and considering changes to our previous style of game management. New participants are welcome!"
Old December 19, 2003, 00:59   #17
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Works for me, if none of the other Presidents send in their reports soon, I say send it in as is.

/me offering his 2 cents worth
Old December 21, 2003, 01:34   #18
cavebear
Emperor

48 hours and no responses?
Old December 21, 2003, 03:05   #19
rjmatsleepers
King

Local Time: 13:08
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
48 hours and no responses?
I wasn't a president, but it looks fine to me - go for it.

RJM at Sleeper's
Old December 22, 2003, 05:48   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Give me a break - my weekends are hard fought.

As ever, unsure how this will do along with what has already been written, so full license for editing/revising/censoring as you see fit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings from the Dawn of Time! To you who is reading this stele, I am MrWhereItsAt, first President of the Glorious Apolyton Imperium. These are my final memoirs, written on my abdication date, 1750BC. The last 250 years of my reign, the end of the First Dominion, my Vice President 123john321 has futhered our great work in preparation for the next President, who shall doubtless push us to greater and grander triumphs.

Already we have done so much. At the time of writing we have founded 6 magnificent cities teeming with industrious Imperium citizens, toiling tirelessly to bring our way of life to the barbarian world. The Mountain land of Pax Apolyton; the great Glorificus and tiny Enron, built upon a river icy on one bank, lush and verdant on the other; Dominion, from whence our Mercenary Archer forces police the stark Eastern Glaciers; and Imperialis - the capital of these vast lands, some quarter of a million square miles.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Eh - I have realised this really does NOT go well with what has been written so far. Never mind. I will not delete it as I spent some time on it.

Take 2.....

------------------------------------------------------------------
MrWhereItsAt; first President of the Imperium

Our grand journey started with two settlers, near mountains and on expansive grasslands. A fair start, but we realised with the map conditions fresh water would be very scarce, and before settling it would be best if we at least knew where some could be found! After finding an Archer to act as a zero-maintenance scout, we soon realised ANY city was better than none, and founded our capital, Imperialis, in 3600BC, near forests for raw production, grasslands and with at least musk oxen nearby. Fortunately we had by now located a freshwater lake -what was to become a godsend on this vast landlocked planet.

The second settler set down near the precious water, and another roving Archer found an advanced tribe - our civilisation was now a triumvirate of cities. The search was on for the oh-so precious special resources, and Iron, gold, Ivory, oil and others were found nearby. The first Barbarian was found in 3150BC - the first of an annoying presence throughout the game.

Fortunately the Barbarian was defeated by our mercenaries, and exploration continued. Our first tech priority was chosen to be Monarchy - typically we often saw the phrase 'no advances leading to Monarchy can be researched at this time'... Horsemen were trained to speed our explorations, and by 2500BC another city had been founded on a river - flanked by glaciers on one side and a very square looking forest area on the other. Atomant had really gone nuts with this map.

By my final turn as President, 2000BC, we had established 5 cities - all but 2 from advanced tribes. Barbarians caused us our first casualties in 2350BC, and civil disorder was rearing its ugly head in some towns - Temples and Military Police would be needed very soon. Our adventurers continued to uncover the secrets of the land, including Seafaring (strange on a land where the Sea is an abstract concept...), and much gold. Marvelling at our bizarre yet exciting surroundings, I handed off to my Vice President, 123john321, for the final 250 years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Will this do? Sorry - am not really on my game this time of year. Any suggestions (specific or even more general - perhaps you can suggest some idea I can write to?) on this are invited.

Old December 22, 2003, 10:46   #21
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Sorry for not noticing the request. I was only M. le President for a brief period of time (a fill in for atomant or shade, I forget who ).

The only major accomplishment in my term was the capture of Washington with Leonardo's Workship inside. This allowed instant unit upgrades, the most important one being Settlers>Engineers.

The tactic employed was a pincer movement devised by our SMC - a contingent of cannons from the north as well as a force of Cannons and Dragoons from the west. The 'instant fortress' (use a preworked Settler to build a fortress in one turn) tactic protected our units which advanced from the west.

As I recall the battle was a dramatic one; Washington was defended by 4 or 5 Musketeers behind walls. The walls could not be destroyed after multiple attempts, and after suffering heavy losses in the assault, we were forced to capture the city with the last available unit, a Settler.

The fall of Washington expedited further conquests - with Engineers, we were then able to build rails much faster, and turn a slow assimilation into a blitzkrieg.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old December 23, 2003, 20:24   #22
cavebear
Emperor

I have sent a modified report to MarkG. I'll reconstruct the settings poll when I see the announcement posted and set it to run for 5 days.