Old November 23, 2003, 21:07   #1
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
"School of the air" shuts down
For the last 40 or so years children on remote properties in the Australian outback did their schooling by short wave radio. That service is being replaced, at least in Queensland, this week by phone based lessons due to the march of technology.

Here are some web site links to some of the actual "radio" schools in different parts of the country if anyone is interested - would make a good school project for those with kids who go to regular school.

http://www.assoa.nt.edu.au/

http://www.mtisasde.qld.edu.au/

http://www.schools.nt.edu.au/olsu/ed...our/days/day6/

One of those remarkable adaptions to the "tyranny of distance" now passes into history.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 23, 2003, 21:09   #2
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:08
Queensland sounds like a nice place to get away from it all. Too bad they're a bunch of racists in Oz.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 23, 2003, 21:09   #3
Alexander's Horse
Deity

I like this story - LOL.

This kid probably lives a 1000 miles from anywhere - with his own fishing hole.

http://www.schools.nt.edu.au/olsu/ed...ays/day6/7.htm

Old November 23, 2003, 21:21   #4
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Queensland sounds like a nice place to get away from it all. Too bad they're a bunch of racists in Oz.
Yeah that's why we were taking so much trouble to provide education by radio to remote aboriginal communities as per the links on the left side, about half of which are schools for aboriginal communities.

http://www.schools.nt.edu.au/olsu/ed...our/days/day6/

Old November 23, 2003, 21:32   #5
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 13:08
that sounds like a good idea actually. Shame it can't be done all over the commonwealth, would prolly be extra usefull in africa.
Old November 23, 2003, 21:34   #6
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 08:08
We have correspondence classes in Canada. My dad marks for them since he lives up north.

How does this instruction differ? Attempts to provide live instruction?
Old November 23, 2003, 23:05   #7
Alexander's Horse
Deity

conference calls via satellite is what they are moving to.

Old November 24, 2003, 05:09   #8
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 06:08
Why are they making a changeover in the middle of the school year?
Old November 24, 2003, 05:52   #9
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
Why are they making a changeover in the middle of the school year?
As Australia is in the southern hemisphere our school year starts in early Febuary [ie, the last month of summer] and runs untill mid December [the start of the next summer]
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old November 24, 2003, 06:00   #10
DaShi
Emperor

Dammit! When I was a kid, I lived in the Bronx and had to walk to school in South LA everyday (even weekends). Uphill, both ways! Kids these days.
Old November 24, 2003, 07:43   #11
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 14:08
You'll be replacing the flying doctors next
Old November 24, 2003, 08:05   #12
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
You'll be replacing the flying doctors next
Maybe they can telephone through medical assistance

Yeah, I would have thought that a move to an internet-based system would be quite useful as well, probably in supplement to the present system...
Old November 24, 2003, 08:19   #13
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

They might just have to reply on skippy.

What is it boy, granpa's got a punctured lung?
Old November 24, 2003, 08:25   #14
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old November 24, 2003, 11:20   #15
molly bloom
King

Quote:
Tarring us all with the same brush? Queensland is pleasant for a visit, but has lots of nasty biting and stinging beasties. Pauline Hanson being a case in point.

Anyway, the politics of the Howard government and One Nation are not the politics or beliefs of the majority of Australians. The White Australia policy is sooo last century.

The school of the air always fascinated me when I was a young boy at school in Great Britain. I could never imagine living so far away from a school as to require distance learning, having always lived in the inner city. And it was always sunny in the films and photographs.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old November 24, 2003, 17:17   #16
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom

The school of the air always fascinated me when I was a young boy at school in Great Britain. I could never imagine living so far away from a school as to require distance learning, having always lived in the inner city. And it was always sunny in the films and photographs.
It still fascinates me - that photo of the kid with the fish from a remote billabong sums it up.

Old November 25, 2003, 00:29   #17
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Quote:

............I could never imagine living so far away from a school as to require distance learning, having always lived in the inner city........
I was educated by the Alice Springs School of the Air and by corresponce school for my first 3.5 years of primary school.

In the mornings we would get on the radio to contact Alice Springs, as did the other children from cattle stations in central Australia. We would have lessons over the radio.

The correspondence school was in Adelaide. They would mail my lessons out to our cattle station. My mother taught me for the first three and a half years from the materials the correspondence school sent to us. (We then moved to the city of Adelaide where I went to a school with other children).
Old November 25, 2003, 05:02   #18
molly bloom
King

It's funny but it's not until you drive from Melbourne to Ceduna (or a similar interstate trip, let's say...) that you realize how vast and how thinly settled Australia is. It's more difficult to comprehend in Victoria, until you get out to the Little Desert or the Wimmera, but travelling through parts of South Australia was an eerie feeling- kilometres of empty highway (except for the occasional rotting kangaroo or squashed snake) and isolated cattle stations.

I've yet to travel anywhere in the Red Centre, but the contrast with my experiences in Great Britain where I never lived anywhere than in big cities is quite marked. I think in some ways distance is also a state of mind- driving from London to Cornwall or Wales seems mentally like a long distance, but it wouldn't be anything in terms of travelling time in Australia. My respect for country people has grown since I've lived in Australia- the phrase 'the tyranny of distance' actually means something now. My smallest class size when I was in infants or junior school was 30 or 32, so being in a class of one seems quite remarkable, still.

Old November 25, 2003, 19:36   #19
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

There was a time, many years ago when I was very young, when I thought Alice Springs was a BIG place. Well, it is big compared to Tennant Creek. (BTW For people overseas, Alice springs had a population of around 20,000 then and Tennant Creek about 2,000).

Later I lived in Adelaide for many years then moved to Sydney. One day at work I commented on how crowded Sydney is and how crowded the trains are. A girl from London said she thought Sydney was not at all crowded and that there was plenty of room on Sydney trains.

Umh, Molly Bloom, I see your point about perceptions of distances. In the city 100 kilometres is a long way. In the outback it is not so far. Our nearest neighbours, a roadhouse (roadside pub), were 40 kilometres away and the nearest town (Tennant Creek) was nearby at 80 kilometres.

EDIT. Molly, are you on the EU forum perchance?
Old November 25, 2003, 20:29   #20
Alexander's Horse
Deity

why don't you 2 go and get a room.

Old November 25, 2003, 22:29   #21
molly bloom
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
why don't you 2 go and get a room.
But that would cast you in the role of Pandarus, and I'm sure you wouldn't want that.

Besides which, if we were to meet half way it would have to be somewhere like Keith, and I've been there. Actually Mt. Gambier would be nicer, especially when the lake changes colour...

In any case, I've just celebrated my nineteenth anniversary, and I know nothing about Peter's inclinations, so any suggestion of extra mural activities would be presumptuous.

And no, Peter I don't post or lurk in the EU forum; why do you ask?

I have however been to Adelaide- I was there during the Biennial in 1998. Very hot and sunny, with a great ary gallery (how odd to see the Eros from Piccadilly) and museum. Had a marvellous meal in the Red Ochre Grill and a very sweet and fattening afternoon tea in one of the large department stores. We stayed between the city centre and Glenelg, just near the tram line. Do you like it, or is it too quiet for you?

Old November 25, 2003, 22:31   #22
chequita guevara
Emperor

I refuse to believe you're only 19, MB. You're too smart for a 19-year old.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 25, 2003, 22:48   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
I've just celebrated my nineteenth anniversary
Anniversary, not birthday.
His profile says he was born in 1969 too.

Last edited by Skanky Burns; November 26, 2003 at 01:50.
Old November 25, 2003, 23:07   #24
molly bloom
King

Quote:
I refuse to believe you're only 19, MB. You're too smart for a 19-year old.
Why, Mr. Guevara, charmed I’m sure (flutters eyelashes, swoons....)!

No, I meant anniversary not in the French sense of anniversaire = birthday, but anniversary, as in I’ve been with the same partner for nineteen years. I could hardly say wedding anniversary as we both know that godless sodomitic liberal humanists like me aren’t allowed to get married. However, for the purposes of residence, the Government and D.I.M.A. (the Immigration dept.) recognize gay relationships provided that you can prove that you have been together in a committed relationship and remain in one in Australia. You need joint accounts, bills, photos, friends’ or relatives’ statutory declarations, and so on. It’s not equality, but it is relatively enlightened, so we’ll settle for that.

‘Twas very pleasant- we went out to Viet Namese restaurant in Richmond and had a delicious meal. And a long lie in on Sunday- I made omelettes aux fines herbes and we had grilled Turkish bread and fresh figs and Greek yoghurt, and some delicious East Timorese free trade coffee. I’d recommend partaking of it, if you can find some...

Old November 25, 2003, 23:19   #25
chequita guevara
Emperor

Oh, well, congrats!
Old November 26, 2003, 01:06   #26
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

"I refuse to believe you're only 19, MB. You're too smart for a 19-year old."

*raises eyebrow(

It's people like you wot cause unrest!
Albert Speer
Old November 26, 2003, 01:20   #27
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Quote:

And no, Peter I don't post or lurk in the EU forum; why do you ask?

IIRC correctly there is someone at the EU forum using the name Molly bloom.

BTW Pay no attention to that suggestion of getting a room. I have no "inclinations".
Old November 26, 2003, 02:10   #28
Alexander's Horse
Deity

sorry, I was on autopost