Old November 24, 2003, 02:02   #1
malichai
Settler

Local Time: 13:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Can't get patched SMAC, or AC to run on XP
Alright, I bought the Planetary pack for my friend's birthday, and they can't get the game to run. I thought it was the disc, so I ordered another copy, and it won't run either.

This isn't that processor error, no, the error is weird. SMAC runs fine. But after patching SMAC, or after installing Alien Crossfire and attempting to run it, they get the following error: terranx.icd error.

They installed it on another computer running XP in their home, and the same deal. Any help is appreciated.
Old November 24, 2003, 04:26   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 07:08
Look here

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...ighlight=voxel

I think basically you have to change a line
Old November 24, 2003, 10:55   #3
Verrucosus
Prince

Local Time: 14:08
After switching to Windows XP, I had a similar problem with the Planetary Pack. As far as I remember, changing the voxel-line only solves the CPU-support-problem which is the same for classic SMAC and the Planetary Pack.
For a problem specific to the Planertary Pack, there are two possibilities I can think of:
- The problem may be caused by the axstart-file which allows you to choose between Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire from a screen that appears before the opening movie. If that is the case you should create seperate links directly to the terran.exe and terranx.exe files in the main folder for Alpha Centauri. By doing so you bypass the axstart-file.
- In the Planetary Pack the programme itself is not contained in the terran/terranx.exe files, but in a corresponding icd-file. It is possible - I am unable to check at the moment - that the XP-compatibility-patch released last year updates the exe-files so that they comprise the previous icd-files. Given your error message it may be helpful to try this patch. Although it is primarily intended for SMAC (which is updated from v4.0 to v5.0), it seems to have some effect on Alien Crossfire as well. For example, since I have the update, I no longer need the CD to start the game.
As a note of caution, I have to add that I have not solved the problem perfectly myself. My attempts to start a game of Alien Crossfire fail occasionally, but never twice in succession. I have no idea why this is happening, but unlike yours, my problem is not a huge one.
I do hope that you can get your gift working for your friend.

Regards,
Verrucosus
Old November 24, 2003, 19:39   #4
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 14:08
Good for me that I have 2 computers at home, one running with 98
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom