Old November 25, 2003, 12:14   #1
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 09:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Dell cancels Indian tech support
Ha! Finally, outsourcing bites big business in the ass!!

Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- After an onslaught of complaints, computer maker Dell Inc. has stopped using a technical support center in India to handle calls from its corporate customers.

Some U.S. customers have complained that the Indian technical-support representatives are difficult to communicate with because of thick accents and scripted responses.

Tech support for corporate customers with Optiplex desktop and Latitude notebook computers will instead be handled from call centers in Texas, Idaho and Tennessee, Dell spokesman Jon Weisblatt said Monday.

Calls from some home PC owners will continue to be handled by the technical support center in Bangalore, India, and Weisblatt said Dell has no plans to scale back the operation there.

"Customers weren't satisfied with the level of support they were receiving, so we're moving some calls around to make sure they don't feel that way anymore," Weisblatt said. He would not discuss the nature of the dissatisfaction with the call center in Bangalore.

Dell is one of a number of high-tech companies that have in recent years moved jobs to India and other developing nations for the cheaper labor, which in Dell's case helps keep down the cost of providing round-the-clock support.

Corporate customers account for about 85 percent of Dell's business, with only 15 percent coming from the consumer market. Worldwide, Dell employs about 44,300 people. About 54 percent are abroad.

Among Dell customers dissatisfied with the company's use of overseas labor is Ronald Kronk, a Presbyterian minister in Rochester, Pennsylvania, who has spent the last four months trying to solve a problem that resulted in his being billed for two computers. The problem, he said, is that the Dell call center is in India.

"They're extremely polite, but I call it sponge listening -- they just soak it in and say, 'I can understand why you're angry,' but nothing happens," Kronk said.

He added: "Every time I see a Dell commercial on TV, I just cringe. They make it sound so easy and it's been a nightmare."
Old November 25, 2003, 12:19   #2
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:13
someone created a fraudulent AOL account with my name and address and I was tearing my hair out trying to cancel it while talking to some pud from an indian call center...

good for dell!

but they shouldn't have moved their sh1tr there to begin with...
Old November 25, 2003, 12:33   #3
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:13
Quote:
Tech support for corporate customers with Optiplex desktop and Latitude notebook computers will instead be handled from call centers in Texas, Idaho and Tennessee, Dell spokesman Jon Weisblatt said Monday.
I.e. they've contracted a more highly regarded call center in Mumbai, India to handle those calls.

Old November 25, 2003, 12:38   #4
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
"They're extremely polite, but I call it sponge listening -- they just soak it in and say, 'I can understand why you're angry,' but nothing happens," Kronk said.
Old November 25, 2003, 12:49   #5
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sounds like that last guy is ready to move into upper management.
Old November 25, 2003, 13:03   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:13
Don't companies have their own IT staff?
Old November 25, 2003, 13:05   #7
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 15:13
You destroy Indian Jobs? Arent you aware they have Nukes????

I could not care less about this I admit.
Old November 25, 2003, 13:07   #8
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yes, but there is a big movement in companies to outsource support and programming to India. But if they provide crappy service, do you actually save money. I'd like to see more horror stories like this just so the bean counters think before laying off people ,thinking they will save the company a few bucks in the short run.
Old November 25, 2003, 13:15   #9
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Don't companies have their own IT staff?
Yes, but they make American wages. In many companies, usually an executive twit gets the idea that it is more cost effective to get "experts" from foreign sweatshops, er, consulting firms for software support and development. So the company brings in several slick consulting services salesman to bid for the contract. The salesmen tell the twit everything he wants to hear and then the one who lowballs the best wins the contract. In those cases where offshore firms are used for development, the skeleton IT staff of the company is usually left to clean up the mess left by the "cost-effective" developers and eventually wind up rewriting said mess.
Old November 25, 2003, 13:18   #10
rah
lifer
Just another peon

That has been our experience, but the practice continues. I have yet to figure out why. It must be a Dilbert thing. Here we come Estonia.
Old November 25, 2003, 13:46   #11
Brundlefly
Prince

The funny thing is, these offshore developers get sold as "experts" but I've worked alongside many (when they visit for a few weeks) who were just learning on the job. Just training. I've been in situations where I'm showing THEM how to write a particular application. It's nuts.

Unless a company has a CIO who has the balls to stand up to other executives when they demand their instant gratification, most companies will choose the fastest route to getting a task accomplished (throw $ at an army of offshore consultants) rather than give long-term consideration to staff development and ongoing maintenance and development of what is to be implemented.

At the beginning of this outsourcing craze, many companies didnt have a CIO position filled. Now many do, but even so, I'm sure that executive-level politics get in the way of many sensible decisions...
Old November 25, 2003, 14:29   #12
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

The Indian call center personnel and officers are more easily manipulated and controlled by the Illuminati. Soon we will control alll your IT service. Fnord.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old November 25, 2003, 15:18   #13
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 05:13
Well I am glad to hear this. A hospital that is near where I lived did the same thing years ago, and was outsourcing their IT. When people their realized how crappy the service was they decided that it would be better to have their own IT department on site. And that is how my mom got a job their, when they were putting their IT department back togather again.
Old November 25, 2003, 15:21   #14
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

In a few years these idiot coporations will see how stupid it is to have all their programming done in the thrid world. I cant wait for them to get bit in the *** and then come back to the US and trying to rebuild their own IT departments.
Old November 25, 2003, 15:53   #15
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
Well I am glad to hear this. A hospital that is near where I lived did the same thing years ago, and was outsourcing their IT. When people their realized how crappy the service was they decided that it would be better to have their own IT department on site. And that is how my mom got a job their, when they were putting their IT department back togather again.
Dare you go.
Old November 25, 2003, 15:55   #16
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:13

Qi lai!
Old November 25, 2003, 16:18   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
In a few years these idiot coporations will see how stupid it is to have all their programming done in the thrid world.
Programming? There is nothing wrong with Indian programming, it is the understanding part that is hard. Indian programmmers are just as good (perhaps better!!) than those coming from American schools. Part of it is because there are few respectable jobs for Indians. It used to be they would all try to go into Engineering and Medicine (which is still somewhat the case) because those were the two respected jobs, but now the MOST respected jobs seem to be in computers (and Computer Engineering, of course).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old November 25, 2003, 16:23   #18
Jack_www
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
In a few years these idiot coporations will see how stupid it is to have all their programming done in the thrid world.
Programming? There is nothing wrong with Indian programming, it is the understanding part that is hard. Indian programmmers are just as good (perhaps better!!) than those coming from American schools. Part of it is because there are few respectable jobs for Indians. It used to be they would all try to go into Engineering and Medicine (which is still somewhat the case) because those were the two respected jobs, but now the MOST respected jobs seem to be in computers (and Computer Engineering, of course).
I think it is much better to have done by people that are near by and speak your language. I dont really know about their programming skills, but I hope they suck so jobs come back to the US.
Old November 25, 2003, 16:27   #19
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I think it is much better to have done by people that are near by and speak your language. I dont really know about their programming skills, but I hope they suck so jobs come back to the US.
Why? If they are better than us (and many of them are), then they should have the jobs. It would be better for all of us. The Americans that aren't as good? Well they can deal.

And as for 'near by', a lot of Indians come to the US to work. Some stay, some go back. And as for 'speaking the language', the British left behind some good English schools. They may have an accent, but they are programmers, since when do they need to talk... just send an email .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old November 25, 2003, 16:32   #20
Jack_www
King

Quote:
Quote:
Why? If they are better than us (and many of them are), then they should have the jobs. It would be better for all of us. The Americans that aren't as good? Well they can deal.

And as for 'near by', a lot of Indians come to the US to work. Some stay, some go back. And as for 'speaking the language', the British left behind some good English schools. They may have an accent, but they are programmers, since when do they need to talk... just send an email .
It is hard to communicate with someone just over the phone or email. You get a lot more from talking to person face to face. Also you have difference in time which is big. I am in the US and the person that is doing a program for me is asleep when I am at work. That causes problems.

Also the reason I hope that they suck is that I am going to go into the computer science field. Most of these companies though are not hiring them because they are better then American programmers, they are hiring them because they will work for less money.
Old November 25, 2003, 16:34   #21
Jack_www
King

From all that I have heard, when a company outsoucers IT services they general are not as good and it takes a long time to get things done. It may cut costs in the short term, but long term it might ending up costing them a lot of time.
Old November 25, 2003, 16:39   #22
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
You get a lot more from talking to person face to face.
Yeah, and seeing a lot of them come to the US to work, that isn't a problem.

Quote:
Most of these companies though are not hiring them because they are better then American programmers, they are hiring them because they will work for less money.
Typical American arrogance . They can't be better, right? The fact that American companies hire them to work IN AMERICA and have to pay them as much (and many times more) than American workers doesn't mean anything?

Indians tend to focus on certain vocations and as a result they've become very good at them.
Old November 25, 2003, 16:45   #23
Jack_www
King

I never said that they cant be better. But a major reason why companies here in the US are moving IT jobs to places like India is because of the lower cost.
Old November 25, 2003, 23:21   #24
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Just a small troll:

Nearly EVERY Indian I've ever met is leaps and bounds more intelligent than the average American Even if they are conservative
Go India!
Old November 25, 2003, 23:30   #25
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with Indian programming, it is the understanding part that is hard. Indian programmmers are just as good (perhaps better!!) than those coming from American schools.
Yes and no. Those coming out of IIT are head and shoulders above most Americans, but they represent less than a percent of Indian programmers. India is an extremely corrupt country, and the outsourcing boom there ha resulted in something similar to what the dot.com boom was like here, lots and lots of underqualified people calling themselves programmers. You can get a job as a programmer with only a three month training course in one language.

I have met Indian programmers that just blow me away. On the other hand, I've met more Indian programmers that didn't have a friggan' clue as to what they were doing. More and more, companies are discovering that outsourcing to India costs them more than staying with their own departments, since they have to rebuild what they outsourced.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 25, 2003, 23:32   #26
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Nearly EVERY Indian I've ever met is leaps and bounds more intelligent than the average American.
Indians here are the cream of the crop, and not all Indians are programmers. A lot of them work in Dunkin' Donuts or the Kiwk-E-Mart.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old November 26, 2003, 00:43   #27
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Even if they are conservative
Conservative Americans or Indians?
Old November 26, 2003, 00:49   #28
Nubclear

Indians.
Old November 26, 2003, 04:23   #29
Ned
King

My only experience with Indian tech support was completely positive. The person I was talking to was obviously a lot better educated and intelligent than the average American I talked to - and this is not that surprising is it not?
Old November 26, 2003, 04:43   #30
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:13
Quote:
Originally posted by bfg9000
Yes, but they make American wages. In many companies, usually an executive twit gets the idea that it is more cost effective to get "experts" from foreign sweatshops, er, consulting firms for software support and development.
Sorry, my question wasn't clear. Most companies, even very small ones, have a rudimentary IT support staff to provide technical and user support for employees. So my question is, what corporate users would use Dell's support?

Now, to address your point, sometimes consulting services are valuable, if companies want to do some one-shot projects which are not part of their expertise base.

For example, say Office Depot wants to develop a B2C website to complement their brick-and-mortar shops. It's usually cheaper to get an outsider to do the job.

Quote:
Originally posted by bfg9000
In those cases where offshore firms are used for development, the skeleton IT staff of the company is usually left to clean up the mess left by the "cost-effective" developers and eventually wind up rewriting said mess.
Possibly, but most companies don't have in-house developers, and usually the contract should be binding enough to force the software house to produce something half decent.