Old November 26, 2003, 05:06   #31
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 09:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker
He invented explosive artillery shells and predicted it would end war? You've switched from explosive artillery shells to dynamite for some reason... But if he said that about either, it just shows genius is no guarantee of common sense...
He invented dynamite, then collaberated with the arms industries of a couple countries to create explosive shells because he believed the creation of such a destructive weapon would convince countries to never go to war again.

He later realized the err in his ways and dedicated his fortune to try and have people remember his name for something besides death and destruction. It seems he was successful in that end at least.

Quote:
No they aren't, ever go under the knife? How about the dentist?
Aaaaaand they shouldn't be legal for just those situations...
Yes, because you can slip just any colorless, odorless, tasteless, easily concealable and producable sedative anesthetic into someone's drink...

Quote:
But why are the people who don't use it to commit rape being punished because of those who do? If that's the principle being employed, we should be punishing people for having guns, knives, cars, and every other thing in life that can be used to commit a crime.
GHB is used for the purpose of facilitating rape far more than a car or a knife is used for the purpose of harming someone. And good luck taking everyone's guns away.
Old November 26, 2003, 05:09   #32
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:14
Quote:
No they aren't, ever go under the knife? How about the dentist?
Aaaaaand they shouldn't be legal for just those situations...
You are being disingenuous, Berz. A knife is not a drug, neither is a dentist.
Old November 26, 2003, 05:12   #33
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 15:14
EDIT: I found out that at least here in Finland GHB is the number one date-rape or drink spiking drug, next are ketamin and roofies (rohypnol)

- Paul Valery

Last edited by laurentius; November 26, 2003 at 05:21.
Old November 26, 2003, 05:17   #34
Urban Ranger
Deity

Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol) is more potent AFAIK.
Old November 26, 2003, 06:18   #35
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 14:14
Quote:

So is booze, "liquer's quicker". So is a blunt instrument over the head, we don't make booze and blunt instruments illegal, we make rape illegal.
The point is that liquors not quicker. I cap full of GHB is all you need to drink to knock you over. Thats too easy to slip into someones drink. Combine that with the fact that GHB is fairly easy to produce and I can see why it was made illegal. Roofies and K are a bit tougher to come by.

GHB does have valid recreational use, if you consider recreational drug use valid that is.

A good site for in depth unbiased information about GHB is http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ghb/ghb.shtml .
Old November 26, 2003, 06:38   #36
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch

It still makes sense to make illegal any method, substance or device whose clear and primary reason for existence is the commiting of a crime, with exemptions for reasonable use.
You are completly right, however thats not its main purpose for the vast majority of people who have access to GHB.

From Erowid GHB effects:

Quote:
Low Dose:
A low dose of GHB (usually from .5 to 1.5 gms) often causes effects similar to those of 1-3 drinks of alchohol.
Would you rather drink a couple of pints of beer, or a couple of drops for the same effect? Supposedly the hangover is also much decreased when compared to alcohol. Bearing this in mind it is easy to understand why people want to use it.
Old November 26, 2003, 07:49   #37
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:14
Trip -
Quote:
Yes, because you can slip just any colorless, odorless, tasteless, easily concealable and producable sedative anesthetic into someone's drink...
I'm not getting an answer, why should people who don't slip others this drug w/o their knowledge be punished because of those who do? I can walk up to anyone on the street and slip a knife into them too, that doesn't mean people who own knives should be punished.

Quote:
GHB is used for the purpose of facilitating rape far more than a car or a knife is used for the purpose of harming someone.
Would you seriously argue more rapes have been facilitated with this drug than weapons like knives? And so what?

UR -
Quote:
You are being disingenuous, Berz. A knife is not a drug, neither is a dentist.
Re-read the quote, I wasn't comparing GHB to a knife or a dentist, I was pointing out that there are legal drugs that make people unconscience when they are "under the knife" or go to the dentist. I'm sure you've heard of the layman's phrase "going under the knife" for a medical operation.

Snotty -
Quote:
The point is that liquors not quicker.
And you've never heard the phrase "liquer's quicker"? It's a phrase some guys use in their effort to get laid by getting a woman drunk.

Quote:
I cap full of GHB is all you need to drink to knock you over. Thats too easy to slip into someones drink. Combine that with the fact that GHB is fairly easy to produce and I can see why it was made illegal. Roofies and K are a bit tougher to come by.
So people who use this drug should be punished because of those who use it to commit rape?

Quote:
GHB does have valid recreational use, if you consider recreational drug use valid that is.
I certainly do consider it valid because freedom is valid, and people who use it recreationally should not be punished because of people with nefarious motives.
Old November 26, 2003, 07:49   #38
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:14
And it doesn't damage the liver!
Old November 26, 2003, 09:04   #39
Cruddy
Warlord

Having seen a couple of male friends go psychotic on this... I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

I understand that some MDMA users like GHB as a come down easy solution... they must be crazy.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old November 26, 2003, 09:41   #40
rixxe
Prince

GHB has been made illegal because of the public opinion. X date rapes among thousands and they say GHB's dangerous,...
It's just part of this stupid conservative drug policy,...

Anyway, buy GBL (a product to clean carpets). This substance changes to GHB in the body.
Old November 26, 2003, 09:47   #41
Az
Emperor

sshhhhh!

Besides, you don't know the doses and weights of that stuff. it's not pharmaceptical.

Quote:
Having seen a couple of male friends go psychotic on this... I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
What doses, and did the use alcohol with it?
Old November 26, 2003, 11:15   #42
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Re-read the quote, I wasn't comparing GHB to a knife or a dentist, I was pointing out that there are legal drugs that make people unconscience when they are "under the knife" or go to the dentist. I'm sure you've heard of the layman's phrase "going under the knife" for a medical operation.
You are still being disingenuous, Berz. Just because drug A can be used to do one thing, and drug B can also do the same thing, doesn't mean they should be treated the same way.
Old November 26, 2003, 11:34   #43
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 06:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

What else could it be used for?

Believe it or not, one of the original uses for GHB was as a bodybuilding supplement. The only problem is that instead of helping people gain muscle and lose fat it made them high.
Old November 26, 2003, 12:18   #44
Urban Ranger
Deity

That's a mighty good idea. So people will keep doing exercises just to take the supplement.
Old November 26, 2003, 12:29   #45
Az
Emperor

It somewhat enhances the release of the growth hormone, IIRC.
Old November 26, 2003, 12:31   #46
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by rixxe
Anyway, buy GBL (a product to clean carpets). This substance changes to GHB in the body.

No offense, but you'd have to be a real ****ing idiot to ingest carpet cleaner.
Old November 26, 2003, 12:34   #47
Az
Emperor

gooo chemists!

rixxe is right, I think, centrifuge, in the case of this particular carper cleaner. The problem is, god knows what else and in what quantities is thee.
Old November 26, 2003, 12:47   #48
centrifuge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
gooo chemists!

rixxe is right, I think, centrifuge, in the case of this particular carper cleaner. The problem is, god knows what else and in what quantities is thee.
Although I didn't say it, that was my main point. Aside from the fact that I really don't think that GHB is good for anything productive, to go around imbibing in household products is never a good idea. Just make sure that you have the number for poison control handy
Old November 26, 2003, 13:03   #49
Az
Emperor

Old November 26, 2003, 16:16   #50
Snotty
King

Quote:

And you've never heard the phrase "liquer's quicker"? It's a phrase some guys use in their effort to get laid by getting a woman drunk.
I know the saying, and perhaps I should have said 'liquors quicker, GHB's quickest' because it is. No more of that pesky waiting for women to get drunk when you can get the same effect with a capful.

Quote:
So people who use this drug should be punished because of those who use it to commit rape?
No, but if it would be much easier for a potential rapist to buy the stuff if it was legal. GHB is more difficult to get hold because it is illegal. If any ******* could walk into a store and buy this stuff it would lead to more rapes. Im sure you can see the link. It would also lead to more happy GHB users, but thats not worth the increased number of rapes.

Quote:
I certainly do consider it valid because freedom is valid, and people who use it recreationally should not be punished because of people with nefarious motives.
The reverse of your arguement is should women be punished (raped) just because people want to use GHB legally?

I dont mean to get on your case berz, Im all for legalization. Just not this one. Theres too many dicks in the world for this to be easily available.
Old November 26, 2003, 16:21   #51
Az
Emperor

Quote:

No, but if it would be much easier for a potential rapist to buy the stuff if it was legal. GHB is more difficult to get hold because it is illegal. If any ******* could walk into a store and buy this stuff it would lead to more rapes. Im sure you can see the link. It would also lead to more happy GHB users, but thats not worth the increased number of rapes.
You're kidding, right? A person can get any drug with fair ease. Legalizing it will not lead to an increase in the amount of rapes.
Old November 26, 2003, 16:33   #52
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
I'm not getting an answer, why should people who don't slip others this drug w/o their knowledge be punished because of those who do? I can walk up to anyone on the street and slip a knife into them too, that doesn't mean people who own knives should be punished.
If there are other anesthetics that work perfectly fine why legalize one that has such a horrible side effect?

You seem to think that people are responsible enough that if something has one "positive" use then it should be perfectly fine to legalize, despite the other ramifications which may ensue.

Should we allow monopolies in the economy because some monpolies are good? Or should we penalize the possible good monopolies because more end up being bad? Or how about automatic weapons. Or any number of other things which may have a "good" use when used responsibly but also have a dark side that makes it better for society because they're illegal and access is either restricted or prevented.

I'd sleep better at night with GHB illegal and knowing that a few rapes were prevented than if it were legal knowing some guys got a good high instead. You make it sound like some moral crusade or something... oh no, people can't get high, woe!
Old November 26, 2003, 16:34   #53
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Quote:
You're kidding, right? A person can get any drug with fair ease. Legalizing it will not lead to an increase in the amount of rapes.
So you personally can just as easily get GHB now as if it were legal and available to buy at your closest local pharmacy?
Old November 26, 2003, 16:40   #54
Snotty
King

Quote:

Sorry Az, but youre talking out of your arse. I cant lay my hands on crack, heroin or GHB. I cant even get some weed without calling around.

Youre saying any person can get hold of GHB as if it were legal? Im saying there are many dicks in the world who dont have those kind of contacts, but can do something as simple as walk into a shop.
Old November 26, 2003, 16:58   #55
Az
Emperor

If you want to, you'll get them, without doubt. That's what I meant.
Old November 26, 2003, 17:06   #56
Snotty
King

Ok, I'll give you that. The determined rapist will no doubt be able to lay his hands on date rape drugs. The problem is the 'casual' rapist, if there is such a thing. The guys who would think its ok to put a legal drug in a girls to drink to help her 'relax' etc.
Old November 26, 2003, 17:10   #57
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 13:14
Quote:
GHB: why the hell is it banned?
I think it was for abuse of the upload policy on 'Poly

Quote:
The drug could be used as any other anistesia, but unfortuantly the type of places that have this stuff (Vets, Hospitals, Doctors, Dentists, etc) have a high rate of crime associated with them for the expressed purpose of obtaining these drugs. If the only way to keep the drug off the street is to ban it, then ban it. There are other drugs that can be administered to receive the same effect. Unfortunately for the bad guys, they aren't as easy to conceal and administer unnoticed.

HOw is it different than a knife? A knife has multiple uses and besides, any one can make a knife, shiv, or other knife like item that banning them would serve no pupose. Also note that it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon, and most bars won't let you end if you are carrying a knife.
Old November 26, 2003, 17:15   #58
Az
Emperor

Quote:
The drug could be used as any other anistesia, but unfortuantly the type of places that have this stuff (Vets, Hospitals, Doctors, Dentists, etc) have a high rate of crime associated with them for the expressed purpose of obtaining these drugs. If the only way to keep the drug off the street is to ban it, then ban it. There are other drugs that can be administered to receive the same effect. Unfortunately for the bad guys, they aren't as easy to conceal and administer unnoticed.
You're still missing the point. The benefits from it far outweigh the risks, and those risks aren't exactly being prevented by the ban. capiche? therefore there is no reason that people that benefit from it, or hell, just want to get high on it, shouldn't be free to do so.
Old November 26, 2003, 17:18   #59
Jon Shafer

Quote:
You're still missing the point. The benefits from it far outweigh the risks, and those risks aren't exactly being prevented by the ban. capiche? therefore there is no reason that people that benefit from it, or hell, just want to get high on it, shouldn't be free to do so.
You honestly think it would be okay that more women got raped so more guys could get high?
Old November 26, 2003, 17:22   #60
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 13:14
"Gamma-hydroxy butyrate (GHB) is a naturally occurring substance that is nonaddictive and proven safe, yet FDA and media hype have prevented the public from reaping its benefits. GHB has been shown to improve sleep, encourage weight loss and muscle strength, enhance mood, improve sex, and possibly prolong life. "

Which of these benefits cannot be obtained by any number of OTHER non-addictive drugs, life style CHOICES, and diet that cannot also be used as rape aide?

-Don't know the answer?
-Don't know enough about all the other drugs available?

Let the FDA do their job.

Questioning is good, but only if you can understand the answer...