Old November 26, 2003, 13:51   #31
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 15:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I actually wouldn't mind if the upload feature got cancelled. Only wish if this were the case: Allow us to attach files bigger than 800x600 and bigger then 500 KB. Say files up to 1024x768 and up to 800 KB. Most files that I want to attch seem to just overstep the boundaries, forcing me to cut down on resolution and/or size.

Asmodean
Old November 26, 2003, 14:14   #32
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

resolution of an image is not the same as its dimensions.

And a resolution other than 72 DPI is no good for an image for display on a screen. If you are goin to print the image there is another case...

But for viewing on internet the resolution of an image has no effect at all as the dimensions is what really matters.
Old November 26, 2003, 14:33   #33
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 14:16
No-one has argued yet that their upload was Civ related..........are to presume the acceptance of guilt in all cases? History tells me that isn't so.
Old November 26, 2003, 14:39   #34
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 08:16
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
No-one has argued yet that their upload was Civ related..........are to presume the acceptance of guilt in all cases? History tells me that isn't so.
Eventually, it's up to the opinion of the owners of the site.
Their ruling should be considered final. If people think that they have a stong case, they should contact DanQ or MarkG and discuss it with them so this doesn't happen in the future to them.
Old November 26, 2003, 14:41   #35
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Hehe I didn't mean there was a question as to guilt.....since as you say that is decided by the owners. What I meant is it seems amiss that noone has turned up to *claim* innocence.
Old November 26, 2003, 14:48   #36
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Some have "claimed" innocence in the past. (this isn't the first time they have had mass short term restrictions for this very thing) It usually does come down to opinion... and in the end, the owners opinion matters more. Again, feel free to take things up with them if somebody should feel they have a good case. Or if you are in doubt, just ask them in advance to see what they say.

The owners have set down some rules, and "members" should respect their wishes and attempt to follow them.
Old November 26, 2003, 15:22   #37
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Wow, my first restriction on Poly! I fel so... special.
OK, let me run through a few things.

1. I'm not upset about this at all.
2. It was a little tactless not to inform my it was happening (and why). Doesn't feel very Poly-like...
3. For the record, I had uploaded the various avatars I've used on this site, basically so that I could post more than one per post in a thread on that topic.
4. Yes, it's against the rules.
5. As it happens, I had never used the upload feature before, and thus didn't know this particular rule.

Now, a litlle Q/A --

Q1. Is it better to have people think there's a system bug instead of knowing they'd been punished for just cause?
A. I don't think so. If your child doesn't know they're restricted to stay in their bedroom, they might hang out there on there own. If one of the restricted posters was away from their comp yesterday, they would have no way (beyond this thread) of knowing they had screwed up.

Q2. Should the upload function continue?
A. IMHO, now that I know what it's for -- yes, absolutely.

Q3. Is there any reason, beyond an arbitrary rule, that Polysite-specific stuff with tiny file sizes like my avatars should be cause for a banning?
A. IMHO, no. But that's not my call.

Q4. Why were the miscreants not informed of their sins a priori?
A. I wonder. My guess is that the admins just wanted it done with, quick and clean. and perhaps didn't want to waste time arguing via email and PM.

Anyway, no prob on my end. Thanks to Gramphos and Ming for answering the thread's question.

...Oh, and sorry about that "abuse of upload" thing...
etc...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old November 26, 2003, 15:26   #38
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

One more thing...
Quote:
Well, about PMs, I haven't been able to get them to work for years. People couldn't seem to send me any (inbox full even when the inbox had been purged and emptied). So there's another 'bug'.
Q5. What about the issue of El Awrence's PM box?

A. Just went through this. I had gotten a couple emails from Poly auto-admin with "PosterX tried to send you a PM but your Inbox is full." I don't use the feature much, and just went to the forums to see what was up.

Eventually, I went to my PM Inbox box and deleted all. Two days later, I got another "Inbox is full" notice. Nothing in the box, Outbox empty too. WTF, I thought... but WAIT! There's a nother feature, called message tracking (which produces the "denied receipt" notes etc.). Turns out if you've got tracking on, it fills with duplicates of all your tracked mail and keeps it, even if you've deleted the original.

So ya gotta find the "tracking" box, select all, and delete. THEN your PM box is clean. (The confusion -- for me at least -- is the email from Poly, which specifies the "Inbox" as the problem. If it said "Your PM file is full" or something similar, I might have gotten it right the first time.

So El Awrence -- go empty the "tracked" PMs from your PM file.

(Edited to add actual quote from El Awrence)

Last edited by -Jrabbit; November 26, 2003 at 15:33.
Old November 26, 2003, 15:50   #39
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:16
Well, make love to a duck, I hope this solves it!

Is there any option that will prevent message tracking?

Thanks, JRabbit.
Old November 26, 2003, 16:02   #40
-Jrabbit
Deity

No problem, El.
Us guilty guys need to stick together...

Old November 26, 2003, 16:07   #41
Dr. Nick
Deity

Indeed.

In any case, I also insist and agree with Jrabbit that it was bad form, and if I was upset it was because of that. A quick message 'hey, get rid of that in 48 hours or else' would have solved the problem at my end.
Old November 26, 2003, 16:21   #42
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 09:16
yeah. i had some pictures that i was using for the hot or not thread... i figured it was better to make one post rather than several. :shrug:

but it would have been nice to know it was coming. i honestly had no idea before this. even a reminder in the announcements would have been nice. i would have voluntarily removed it if i had understood that it was for only civ things.
Old November 26, 2003, 16:40   #43
Ming
lifer
Retired

I can understand why some people might be upset with what they consider bad treatment... but change hats for a second and take a look at it from the owners perspective.

First... you broke the rules. Granted, many claim they didn't know the rule, but whose fault is that

Second... consider that in this case... Dan had to spend time going through the uploads to catch the rules infractions... gee sounds like a "fun" time to me...

And then after he wastes his free time tracking down the offenders.... you want him to waste even more time sending PM's to everybody.... when it all could have been avoided in the first place by members taking a few minutes to check the rules and following them...

While you may all consider it "just another rule" or not a "proper or good" rule... it is the rule. I don't think the owners are asking too much for people to follow the rules they have laid out. They put tons of time and effort in this site to give you guys a "FREE" community in which you can particpate in.
They do not do this to make money.... it's their hobby.

And all I'm hearing is about how some rules breakers feel unfairly treated... and how the owners should have wasted even more of their valuable free time to notify you that YOU broke the rules.... maybe you guys should be apologizing to them for breaking the rules and wasting their time then whining about you feel like you were treated bad
Old November 26, 2003, 16:51   #44
Dr. Nick
Deity

Quote:
Second... consider that in this case... Dan had to spend time going through the uploads to catch the rules infractions... gee sounds like a "fun" time to me...
Hey, why doesn't he get rid of rule? That way he doesn't waste time, and we don't get banned, and then we're all happy.

Old November 26, 2003, 16:52   #45
Ming
lifer
Retired

Old November 26, 2003, 17:14   #46
-Jrabbit
Deity

Let me just reiterate --
I'm not upset by any of this.
Actually, I find it kinda funny.

Regret that I ran afoul of the rules?
-Yes.
Sorry that DanQ has to comb through the upload files for violators?
-Well, not really. His rule, his choice.
Regret the time I spent trying to figure out what was happening?
-A little. But I did feel "restricted" so I guess the point was made. I just had no idea that I might have done something wrong... Mostly, I feel stupid for not realizing I was being punished, during the punishment.

Believe me, I know what it takes to run a site this big and this active. I appreciate all the time and effort that goes into it, both from the owners and the all-volunteer staff.

When you think about it, Apolyton's continued existence as a free site is really quite amazing.

Old November 26, 2003, 17:46   #47
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

A short question: Is it allowed to upload for example pictures from Paradox games, since you have a forum for these games? I am a little unsire, since you have a forum for all of them, but don't specify closer. And games covered by the "other games" forum?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old November 26, 2003, 17:59   #48
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 16:16
I can't resist making a comment about contacting Ming. It's not that he responds to PMs faster than emails, don't believe him. He responds to emails fast - but his response to PMs seems to be instant.

I nearly fell off my chair when I requested one thing from Ming... and in two minutes not only I got a reply, but my request was granted...
Old November 26, 2003, 18:07   #49
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
all I'm hearing is about how some rules breakers feel unfairly treated... and how the owners should have wasted even more of their valuable free time to notify you that YOU broke the rules.... maybe you guys should be apologizing to them for breaking the rules and wasting their time then whining about you feel like you were treated bad
While I see your point, I see the point of the posters more. Perhaps one message from Dan or Mark to the Mod on Duty to send PM's to those affected?

Seems like a cordial thing to do to members of the community. Leaving them to wonder weather or not they are experiencing software problems is kinda harsh. If they had done something overt then I can really see your point, but...albiet they should have...most did not know the rule.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old November 26, 2003, 18:11   #50
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
I can't resist making a comment about contacting Ming. It's not that he responds to PMs faster than emails, don't believe him. He responds to emails fast - but his response to PMs seems to be instant.

I nearly fell off my chair when I requested one thing from Ming... and in two minutes not only I got a reply, but my request was granted...
Yes, I have found him excellent in response time. PM's are the way to go!
Old November 26, 2003, 18:18   #51
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Actually this is odd. I should've been banned as well.
Old November 26, 2003, 18:24   #52
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Perhaps he didn´t saw it...
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!
Old November 26, 2003, 18:34   #53
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:16
While it does take more of the mods time...I think they should send a PM.

In fact, it would be easier if there was a "CC:" feature....CC to all people who violated the rule saying "You have a file in question. Check it now!".
Old November 26, 2003, 18:41   #54
Ming
lifer
Retired

I would love a CC feature...

And yeah... I think the sweeps are "random" and they don't look at every file. Who really has the time for that
Old November 26, 2003, 18:59   #55
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Ah. Then I retract my comment. Nothing in my upload folder. Uh uh.
Old November 26, 2003, 19:01   #56
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Ah. Then I retract my comment. Nothing in my upload folder. Uh uh.
Old November 26, 2003, 19:15   #57
PLATO
Emperor

Quote:
Mark! Dan! Ming's Christmas list is here!!
Old November 26, 2003, 19:21   #58
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO

Mark! Dan! Ming's Christmas list is here!!
Old November 26, 2003, 19:29   #59
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:

And yeah... I think the sweeps are "random" and they don't look at every file. Who really has the time for that
Oh so you don't think that Dan went through all 43,000 Apolytoner's uploads

Asmodean
Old November 26, 2003, 19:35   #60
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

A question about uploads...

I'm storing in my upload site a beta version of an utilty for civ2, the source-code of it and a document for betatester. I'm pretty sure these things don't break the rules (they're civ2 stuff, after all). However, the sourcecode is password-protected (for obvius reasons). Should I change the password to be the same that the password of my apoly acount (if that is avaliable for mega-mods)? The problem is that this ZIP file couldn't be examined by mods, so they can't know if I'm saying the thrutgh or a lying. If there is a problem with that, I'll download it.