Old November 26, 2003, 19:37   #61
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 08:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I would contact DanQ directly by PM and ask him.

Again... I'm not involved in that decision making process. I have no clue how they decide what's legal or not.
Old November 26, 2003, 19:53   #62
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:16
thanks, Ming
Old November 26, 2003, 22:33   #63
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Oops! Didn't read your post before PM'ing you Ming. That was one fast reply (polite too, considering you had to repeat yourself)! PM's gone DanQ's way.

Yaroslav, none of my zips were pw-protected. I did have one 47k file (of 15.4mb) that wasn't civ-related. Are we unusually heavy users?

(at least we can use these smilies)
Old November 26, 2003, 23:02   #64
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 07:16
The picture of Google being down, although as important as it is, was quietly removed from mrmitchell's Upload account today.

The Off-Topic thread referring to that image will now have a broken link forevermore.

However, such a large event must need some rememberance. For safekeeping, it has been saved to 4 locations on my hard drive, two different floppies, and a CD-R disc encased in steel-reinforced concrete and placed in a storage room of the President's nuclear bunker.

Apolyton could keep the image. Think of the attraction! We're possibly one of only 300million pages on the Internet that have screenies of Google being down.
Old November 26, 2003, 23:28   #65
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 09:16
Quote:
Originally posted by yaroslav
A question about uploads...

I'm storing in my upload site a beta version of an utilty for civ2, the source-code of it and a document for betatester. I'm pretty sure these things don't break the rules (they're civ2 stuff, after all). However, the sourcecode is password-protected (for obvius reasons). Should I change the password to be the same that the password of my apoly acount (if that is avaliable for mega-mods)? The problem is that this ZIP file couldn't be examined by mods, so they can't know if I'm saying the thrutgh or a lying. If there is a problem with that, I'll download it.
Hi yaroslav.

I received your PM on this subject -- you'll find my response in your Inbox.

To one and all: Fear... me...

-------------
Dan; Apolyton CS

P.S. If anyone ever decides to quote from my response above, don't forget the smilies.
Old November 26, 2003, 23:59   #66
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:16
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Whats the point of quoting the owners if you can't take them out of context?

I agree with whoever mentioned CC's for PMing others, even if it only gets given to mods. A punishment is largely ineffective if the person in question does not realise they are being punished. With CCing, all you would need to do was write one generic message about violation of uploads, get the banned list and send.
Old November 27, 2003, 00:39   #67
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Skanky, you're both right and wrong about this. I was pretty clueless about the fact that I was banned. Just assumed that my browser's privacy settings prevented some new vital cookie from being read. Took a fair amount of testing (and bothering a mod who was out of the loop) before I caught on. So yeah, a msg would have helped.

That being said, you can bet I'll remember this and think twice about what I upload from now on. I was clearly in the wrong regarding two files (100k). I'll find out later about the remaining 15mb.

The whole episode also got me to subscribe to this forum.
Old November 27, 2003, 00:45   #68
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:16
Local Date: November 3, 2010
The one thing to take away from this is that the owners have chosen to be REALLY strict on the rules for upload, and we all need to be far more careful than certainly I thought we needed to be.

For things like newspaper headings and cartoons for Demo Games, we should really either ensure that the Admin is shown evidence of them being adequately civ-related. If we do this then I am sure we can all avoid such bannings (which admittedly would have been extremely annoying).

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old November 27, 2003, 01:28   #69
badams52
King

Local Time: 05:16
I understand it says in the File Upload FAQ that only game related files are accepted for upload. But it certainly isn't a very obvious point to see when someone decides to upload a file when they begin at the upload page.

Maybe if you add one more point on the upload part of the http://apolyton.net/upload/ page where the file restrictions are saying "Only files related to the games we cover are accepted." To make it more clear to those trying to upload about the rule.

Certainly they should know the rules, but this one main rule that many people break repeatedly should be more obvious like the "no illegal files" rule is.

If this rule was more publicized on the main upload page, I would presume there would be fewer lawbreakers, less unwanted images in the uploads, and fewer bannings for Dan to hand out.

Of course there will be those who don't bother to read the main page, but at least the rule wouldn't be hidden in the FAQ.

And as it stands now, all the other rules and info in the FAQ seem to be on the main upload page.

Just a suggestion.