Old November 27, 2003, 00:25   #1
Boco
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 08:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Aiutilo
That's the Google Italian translation for 'help me'. This is going to look foolish to anyone conversant in Italian, but I'm a sadly monolingual American who could use some help.

I've found an Italian page (http://www.cronologia.it/storia/a1915l.htm) about the Great War in Libya. It states the following:
Quote:
Anche in Cirenaica ci fu un ripiegamento di presidi, ma in misura infinitamente minore di quella adottata per la Tripolitania. Infatti, eccezione fatta per la zona di Agedabia-Zuetina e per Omm-es-Rzem ed El-Mdamar, gli italiani rimasero in tutti gli altri punti della costa e all'interno sgombrando solo quei presidii che distavano dalla costa 50 o 100 chilometri, come quelli di El-Cuba, Slonta, Marana, Bu-Gassal, Tecnis, El-Abiar, Omm-Scicaneh ed Es-Scleidima, più esposti degli altri alle offese dei ribelli e meno degli altri in condizione di esser sostenuti dalle scarse forze del comando di Bengasi.
My edit of the Google translation, which includes some geographical annotations, is this:
Quote:
In Cyrenaica a few garrisons were also withdrawn, but on a much smaller scale than those of Tripolitania. In fact, except for the Agedabia-Zuetina and Omm-es-Rzem (near Darnah) and El-Mdamar (El Hamara between Tobruk & Bardia?) zones, all other coastal garrisons remained in place. However, garrisons of the interior more than 50-100 km from coast spanning the highland region between Bengasi and Derna (El-Cuba, Slonta, Marana, Bu-Gassal, Tecnis, El-Abiar, Omm-Scicaneh and Es-Scleidima), were abandoned because they were too exposed to Sanusi raids and too far from the small supporting mobile forces at Bengasi.
Can I assume from this that the villages of El-Cuba, Slonta, Marana, Bu-Gassal, Tecnis, El-Abiar, Omm-Scicaneh and Es-Scleidima were left ungarrisoned?

I'd also welcome any additional info/links on the campaign in Cyrenaica from 1916-1917.

Grazie
Old November 27, 2003, 07:46   #2
Justinianum
MacScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:18
Re: Aiutilo
Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
That's the Google Italian translation for 'help me'.
Actually the italian translation is "Aiutami" if you are referring to one person and "Aiutatemi" if you're asking to more than one.

Quote:
Can I assume from this that the villages of El-Cuba, Slonta, Marana, Bu-Gassal, Tecnis, El-Abiar, Omm-Scicaneh and Es-Scleidima were left ungarrisoned?
Definitely: the entire translation is correct

Quote:
Grazie
Prego
Old November 27, 2003, 11:12   #3
Boco
King

That helps! Those translation tools help, but they can give pretty funny results. I saw one date as "20 you open 1917". So I checked. Google translates April (Eng) as Aprile (It) but Aprile (It) as "You open them" (Eng).

Know any links that list the various forms of regular verbs in Italian?
Old November 27, 2003, 13:27   #4
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

English-German and German-English can also be extremely funny.
Old November 27, 2003, 23:12   #5
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:18
Taken from my blog:

Time for some Babelfish fun.
English: Out of sight, out of mind.
English-Chinese-English: Stemming from sight, outside brains.
English: Slow and steady wins the race.
English-Korean-English: It is slow and Oh it becomes the human race really and it wins.
English: An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
English-Japanese-English: The day apple left, it maintains the doctor.
English: They who laugh last, laugh best.
English-Spanish-English: They who laugh finally, laughter more better possible.
English: In space, no one can hear you scream.
English-Korean-English: Inside space, anyone there is a possibility you whom it goes round listening to the shout seven thing.
English: To be or not to be, that is the question: whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take up arms against the sea of troubles, and by opposing end them? To die, to sleep. No more. And by a sleep to say we end the heart-ache and the thousand real shocks that flesh is heir to. It is an end piously to be wished. To die, to sleep; to sleep, perhaps to dream.
English-Chinese-English: The survival or destroys, that is this question: Whether it are quite nobly suffer the crude fortune suspension cable and the arrow in this brains, or occupies the arm opposition trouble sea, with finished them by the opposition? Died, sleeps. Does not have. And by the sleep said we ended the heartache and thousand true vibrations, the flesh and blood are the heir are right. This reverently is the terminal is wished. Died, sleeps; Sleeps, perhaps dreams.
English-Japanese-English: For a certain or because it is not, that is question: The topping lift and the arrow of inhuman good fortune it suffers, or or in order to take that is nobler with heart, how trouble, and are arm those for the sea by in the opposite direction finished? In order to die, in order to sleep. Above this. And we finish the impact of thing mental agony and thousand substances where the meat is to the successor with the sleep which is said. That the edge which it should you desire is pious. In order to die, in order to sleep,; In order to sleep, in order perhaps to look at dream.
English-Korean-English: And the flag it respects and in order not to be or intelligence, that is question,: It undergoes the new gun and the anger flesh of the fortune which is outrageous, but in order to adopt it the trouble which is nobler inside mind, and to oppose, ends ocean heading eight them? It died to respect, it slept to respect. Compared to above. And we by the sleep which it talks that will live is in the successor, end griefs and thousand real shocks. The end a desideratum it is pious and. It died to respect, it slept to respect,; It slept and it respected, it dreamed probably to respect.
Old November 28, 2003, 05:30   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
Leo, I take it that you've adopted the 'poly rule that mods cannot spam
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old November 28, 2003, 05:54   #7
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Boco, is that for your WWI war scenario? If so, I want to play it, I want to play it, I want to play it....

I'll repeat it until you release the scenario
Old November 28, 2003, 14:04   #8
Boco
King

@Yaroslav

What would Cyrenaica in 1916 have to do with a Great War Western Desert campaign?

Btw, did you find out whether CivDip is a legal upload in the owner's eyes?

Okay, it's back to EA and shouting at the seven thing when the AI thwarts my ideas.
Old November 28, 2003, 15:56   #9
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

CivDip wasn't the problem - the problem was that the ZIP file were I stood a part of it was password protected. The file will remain, however, I can't honestly say that it is a policy of site, as other password-protected file could be though to be illegal.
Old November 29, 2003, 21:46   #10
Boco
King

Aiutami (ancora ?)
Is this correct Italian? Spelling?
  • Corpo di Spedizione Italiano per la Siria e la Palestina
Old November 30, 2003, 12:27   #11
Justinianum
MacScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Chieftain

Re: Aiutami (ancora ?)
Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
Re: Aiutami (ancora ?)
Is this correct Italian? Spelling?
  • That's correct. It's "help me again", but beware that's referred to the 2nd singolar person. If you wanted to refer to the entire community you should have used the 2nd plural person "Aiutatemi". About spelling, italian pronunciation is quite similar to the german one: remember that in italian the "i" is always pronciated just plain as is (the word "ship" have the "i" pronunciated as in italian)

Quote:
  • Corpo di Spedizione Italiano per la Siria e la Palestina
Italian Expeditionary Corps for Syria and Palestine