Old December 15, 2003, 17:31   #301
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 08:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
ADG the Mysterious against Asmodean the Varangian start their 4th round with little regard for their own saftey. Both combatants are badly injured and barely able to continue.

Asmodean starts the action this round by bringing his sword above his head and bringing it down on ADG's shoulder. Unfortunately, in his weakened state, it does not do enough damage to kill ADG. At this point, Asomdean is so spent that he slides down to his knees and elbow, bloodied sword mixed in the sand.

ADG summons all the strength that is left in his body and brings his sword down hard on the back of Asmodean's neck with all his weight behind the swing as well. ADG's sword cleaves off Asmodean's head, and it rolls to a stop in the sand with one eye still staring out into the crowd and a toothy grin on his face. His body continues to quiver and blood spurts out of his neck, and for a second, it looks like it wants to stand up on its own and carry on the fight. After a few seconds, the blood flows to a trickle, and the headless body slumps into the sand.

ADG stands to the cheers of the crowd, the victor, with his sword gleaming red in the afternoon sun.

ADG has one point remaining and Asmodean is dead.

Last edited by Spaced Cowboy; December 15, 2003 at 18:30.
Old December 15, 2003, 17:49   #302
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 15:21
Woohooo

That was a great fight... and a close one indeed
Old December 15, 2003, 18:24   #303
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Woohooo

That was a great fight... and a close one indeed
Hmmm...ADG did you use A:0 D: 0 P:2 ?

I totally forgot that if Attack=Dodge then Attack wins

Asmodean
Old December 15, 2003, 18:35   #304
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Does this mean that Skanky and ADG fight it out in the final? I'd be happy to be the moderator.
Old December 15, 2003, 18:36   #305
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean

Hmmm...ADG did you use A:0 D: 0 P:2 ?

I totally forgot that if Attack=Dodge then Attack wins

Asmodean
The math should tell you that there was no other way to get two hit/power points.
Old December 15, 2003, 19:06   #306
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 14:21
I actually thought 0 attack didn't work even against 0 defence, but all positive ties go to the attacker.
Old December 15, 2003, 19:10   #307
Asmodean
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
I actually thought 0 attack didn't work even against 0 defence, but all positive ties go to the attacker.
Yeah...the zero thing confused me here. I didn't even consider it as an option. I still should have scored a hit, though. If he used 0,0,2 then my 1,0,1 would have taken 1 hitpoint from ADG. This wasn't reflected in SC's story. I demand a rematch

Asmodean
Old December 15, 2003, 19:19   #308
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 13:21
An attack of 0 = no attack at all, I thought? Anyway, referee's decision is always final, and Man überlebt den Tod nicht as Wittgenstein so wisely said.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old December 15, 2003, 19:30   #309
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean

Yeah...the zero thing confused me here. I didn't even consider it as an option. I still should have scored a hit, though. If he used 0,0,2 then my 1,0,1 would have taken 1 hitpoint from ADG. This wasn't reflected in SC's story. I demand a rematch

Asmodean
I said in my story that you hit him. Also noted in the last sentence that he only had 1 point remaining. Not a valid argument. No rematch granted.
Old December 15, 2003, 19:34   #310
DrSpike
Deity

Rematch! Rematch!
Old December 15, 2003, 19:37   #311
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Call the necromancer! Raise the dead! ADG vs Asmodean the Zombie!

-Jam
Old December 15, 2003, 19:46   #312
DrSpike
Deity

And no 0 attacking scoring damage this time.
Old December 15, 2003, 19:51   #313
Asmodean
Emperor

Perhaps he wished me dead so hard that it really happened

Seriously, though: We really hadn't discussed what would happen in this case. The only precedence was Skanky's ruling that attack=defense meant a hit for attack. Spaced Cowboy used that ruling (allthough I would like to dig a little deeper in to the whole Skanky - Jurisprudence thing) and that makes it OK.

Asmodean
Old December 15, 2003, 19:54   #314
DrSpike
Deity

Actually it was my ruling for positive ties. And I assumed Jamski's earlier comment about 0 attack still held.
Old December 15, 2003, 20:02   #315
Jamski
Deity

And I ruled in one of the first posts that the referee should make clear the rules on ties for that match

-Jam
Old December 15, 2003, 20:03   #316
Asmodean
Emperor

Was it you...OK. I am tired now, and it's way past my bedtime, so I'll take your word for it.

I'll quote this, however:

Quote:
BTW, a player reduced to 1 APP is so badly wounded he can't fight. He can either put his one point in attack OR power OR defend. Whichever he can't bring anyone down. The other player can kill him at his lesiure, unless he's too badly wounded too. Then we'd have to have a replay once they were healed.
It stand to reason that if a player with 1 APP cannot do damage, then a player that allocates 0 to attack cannot do damage either.

But I accept defeat. I just think that we should clarify this a bit.

Asmodean
Old December 15, 2003, 21:13   #317
Jamski
Deity

I think we have it clear now.

-Jam
Old December 16, 2003, 06:36   #318
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I didn't see the first rule, but went with the if attack = defense then attacker wins

Didn't think about before about 2 seconds before I was about to send the 1 attack 1 power order...

...but now we know this doesn't work in the next games played
Old December 16, 2003, 09:24   #319
Jamski
Deity

So... who's fighting right now? I'm up for a rebirth, even if I have to take on 11-AAP fighters.

-Jam
Old December 16, 2003, 09:35   #320
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
Does this mean that Skanky and ADG fight it out in the final? I'd be happy to be the moderator.

I guess so... but this time 0 in attack makes no attack

Sending orders in a few minutes...
Old December 16, 2003, 10:08   #321
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Orders sent to Spaced as well.
Old December 16, 2003, 11:16   #322
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Skanky, please resend, you have 12 points now.

I like the 0 attack rule. It blends in with the 0 defense rule. It is that or anytime we get to 2-2 ties, it will be a draw.

I have an idea for a new format for this game.

1. You get 100 points to start, you gain no points by winning.
2. You must distribute your 100 points to 3 attack/defends per combat round.
EX:
1st A11 D11 P11
2nd A12 D8 P15
3rd A15 D2 P15

3. (Edited) Ties result in 50% power damage rounded down. 0 attack ties are posible.

4. Everyone plays everyone in round robin format in the first round, and the winners go on to the semifinals. The round robin tourney is one combat round only. The semis will be the first player to get his opponent under 50 points. The final tourney is to the death.

5. (opt.) Each player has 20 points to distribute to weapons and armour. This is sent in with the combat orders. These are added to each of the 3 A/Ds and add to power (if hit) and subtract from power (if hit) respectively.

I will not participate in the tourney, but serve as mediator for all combats. That way no one but me will know your fighting style.

Comments.

Spaced.

Last edited by Spaced Cowboy; December 16, 2003 at 12:19.
Old December 16, 2003, 11:56   #323
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

How about if ties goes both ways: The defender only loses 50% (e.g. if attacker uses power 10, the defender loses 5... and if the attacker uses power 5, it goes down to 2)
Old December 16, 2003, 12:03   #324
Jamski
Deity

I like your idea Spaced... but perhaps with a bit less than 100 points to spend. Maybe 30 ? and 5 points for weapons ? Just because I can count to 30 and I can't count to 100.

-Jam
Old December 16, 2003, 12:15   #325
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I picked 100 cuz there would be less of a chance for ties. I like ADG's ties idea.

Edit 3.
Old December 16, 2003, 13:31   #326
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy

I like the 0 attack rule. It blends in with the 0 defense rule. It is that or anytime we get to 2-2 ties, it will be a draw.
I disagree. A positive tie should go to the attacker. We want it this way to encourage offensive play. But the 0 hit and 0 defence tie needn't imply scoring a hit, since when no attack has been made it's irrelevant that there was no defence. It's better the way I suggested.
Old December 16, 2003, 14:17   #327
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:

I disagree. A positive tie should go to the attacker. We want it this way to encourage offensive play. But the 0 hit and 0 defence tie needn't imply scoring a hit, since when no attack has been made it's irrelevant that there was no defence. It's better the way I suggested.
Again, then the only good play at a 2-2 tie would be 1-0-1, which results in a 1-1 tie. 0-2-0 is only a defensive move, and gets you Tasswhere, I mean nowhere.

Also 3-3 does not look good. Choices are:

1-1-1
2-0-1
1-0-2

Any higher on D and you cannot put any points in A or P.

Hence you'd have to be real stupid to not choose 1-0-2 as would your opponent. Results--tie.

However, if 0 attack wins then only 1-1 is a tie.
Many choices for 2-2
0-1-1
1-0-1
0-0-2

for 3-3

1-1-1
0-2-1
2-0-1
0-0-3

Just more choices when you get down to the little bits. with 100 points in the new game, it will not be much of an issue I suspect.
Old December 16, 2003, 14:51   #328
DrSpike
Deity

I concur at 2-2 1-0-1 is the optimal play and leads to a draw under the system I proposed. This is preferable to the outcome that happened IMO.

I like the rest of your suggestions if it can be set up so that the games are the same length and similar in nature to the existing games.
Old December 16, 2003, 15:37   #329
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
I concur at 2-2 1-0-1 is the optimal play and leads to a draw under the system I proposed. This is preferable to the outcome that happened IMO.

I like the rest of your suggestions if it can be set up so that the games are the same length and similar in nature to the existing games.
That was the idea, although the game could be finished early if everyone sends in participation quickly. I will only have the top 4 going to the semis and the top two for champs.

I will schedule 1/2 the round robins for one day, the rest for the next day.

Since the semis are to 50, that shouldn't take more than a few days, and the final can take a few more days if desired...to the death takes a while.

I'll Start a sign-up thread if more people show interest. I'd like to have at least 8.
Old December 16, 2003, 16:06   #330
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I'd be interested, sign me up