Old November 30, 2003, 14:43   #1
Protra3211
Prince

Local Time: 13:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Peter Triggs UNIT UPDATER2
Peter Triggs
Unit Updater2

Checked the read me file for this mod. It says that its for Super Apolyton Pack v2.0 . But can be changed to work in other mods. Also shows where to place files.

What I would like to know has anyone tried this mod in the vanilla version. Just the patch 1.11. Already know I would have to change file names. Will it work?
Old November 30, 2003, 16:59   #2
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

In fact, I don't think you have to change any of the SLIC code to make the SAP updater work with the vanilla version of CTP. IIRC, Dale didn't add any new units or advances, so the version that Tamerlin put together for SAP should work in the vanilla game. You should just have to add an include in the vanilla script.slc file and likewise for the strings.

See anything wrong with that Tamerlin?
Old November 30, 2003, 17:14   #3
Protra3211
Prince

Peter Triggs

Thank you so much for your answer. Enjoy the mods alot. But form time to time play the vanilla version or add parts from other mods plus tweaking files to my game.

This seems like a great mod rates up there next to Diplomod. Just one more thing are the AI upgrades free like they are in Craddle? Thanks again.
Old November 30, 2003, 17:43   #4
Peter Triggs
King

Yes, they're free in all versions. But now that the AI is completely open, I'm more inclined to do something about this.
Old November 30, 2003, 18:09   #5
Protra3211
Prince

Thanks.

It seems that there are so many improvements. The game has grown to a new level its on par with many new games. Its to bad all the work you have done along with Dale and others will not produce CTP3.

Well the work you have done is on my hard drive . And burned on a CD. Would be smart for many to do the same for the game as well. Dont think there will be a jewel case version like CTP1

Keep up the great work
Old November 30, 2003, 18:41   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 15:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Protra3211
It seems that there are so many improvements. The game has grown to a new level its on par with many new games. Its to bad all the work you have done along with Dale and others will not produce CTP3.
Maybe the CTP2 source code project will create CTP2, but at least it will be the final version of CTP2 we all have been waiting for so long.

-Martin
Old November 30, 2003, 19:04   #7
Protra3211
Prince

Or CTP2.5

Well the updating of units- was something that came up when the game was first being previewed. But there were things that must have been droped due to time and money.

Downloading a mod like unit updater is one thing. Will we be able to downlode your finished code work the same way? Im thinking that your producing a patch for the game. Or is it the whole game with repaired code?
Old November 30, 2003, 19:36   #8
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Protra3211
Im thinking that your producing a patch for the game. Or is it the whole game with repaired code?
A patch contain usually an altered *.exe, maybe also other files. An altered *.exe is compiled from different code, presuming it is not a hacked *.exe. So a patch is not a mod, once we added new features to the ctp2.exe more possibilities for mods are possible.

-Martin
Old December 1, 2003, 09:02   #9
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:26
I dont think the Updater code should be part of the unmodded game though, because of incompatibilities with other areas, like multiplayer or changes to other files. Although i do like the Updater alot, it helps the AI.
Old December 1, 2003, 13:48   #10
Peter Triggs
King

Quote:
because of incompatibilities with other areas, like multiplayer
Is it the Updater code specifically or mods in general that cause problems with multiplayer?
Old December 1, 2003, 13:56   #11
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Well ive never tried the Updater code in MP, so take my paranoid opinion with a pinch of salt. The only mods im comfitable playing with in MP is small changes to txt files, anything slic related seems like playing with fire, especially if it refers to the human player.
Old December 1, 2003, 14:27   #12
Peter Triggs
King

It's just that I've been getting a bit worried about the possibility that changes we make to the source might screw up multiplayer.

I seem to recall that it was reported long ago that you can't play multiplayer with any of the mods. Not so good.
Old December 1, 2003, 15:02   #13
Protra3211
Prince

Thats good that you bought that up. With so many mods like Updater you wouldnt know what happend.

Have not tried multiplay yet. I tend to take about a week to finish a game'. Like chess I like to think each turn out. Would be to slow to play online.

Besides I have so many file changes would not be compatabile with others. Would like to share some of my changes I have made in another thread.

Like Const file --I think the numbers I have put in have produced the best map so far. And diplomacy text change. Well im going to try Updater2 in vanilla version see how goes. I will tell how it worked out
Old December 1, 2003, 15:30   #14
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Triggs
It's just that I've been getting a bit worried about the possibility that changes we make to the source might screw up multiplayer.

I seem to recall that it was reported long ago that you can't play multiplayer with any of the mods. Not so good.
Well those reports were exgaggerated, but it is very difficult because a) you need to have downloaded the exact same files and b) some slic in some of the mods simply doesnt work for all players. The first wont be a problem with a single patch but the second will need to be careful whats in the new code for the AI, or it might turn out that no AI's can be used in MP or something. (not a great loss but still...)
Old December 7, 2003, 06:13   #15
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Triggs
See anything wrong with that Tamerlin?
Sorry to reply so lately Peter but I have experienced big computer problems for one week and I am just starting to catch up with the threads.

About the question asked, it should work, I can't see why it shouldn't actually.