Old December 1, 2003, 19:51   #1
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'm angry at Political Correctness!
Yes, I am angry about this completely castrating illness of our decadent society. I'm generally a person who thinks twice before saying anything. I do care, whether I could offend other people and choose to let it be, when I think this could be the case. But I am not willing to constrict my behavior and expression to neurotically or psychotically touchy people!
And I hate it, that the whole society preemptively gives them a case. Media, corporations, EVERYBODY preemptively censurate themselves, so they don't risk to be either sued (in the US) or at least be metaphorically stoned (in Europe).
Don't call the thing at its name, you're being offensive!
I give you an example (I have translated the terms from German, so I don't know whether similar expressions are in use in English, but you'll get the idea):
Originally, you'd call a brat that beats you a kid with maladjusted kid.
Austrian pedagogues found out that this negative connotated expressions weighs heavy on those already troubles kids and urged everyone to call them kids with "noticeable behaviour". Of course, people still often had a problem with those kids, so over the years, "noticeable behaviour" got a negative touch and pedagogues urge everyone to call them "behavior creativ" to underline the "positive possibilites" a kid can get from its peculiar behavior (May I say peculiar?

But it's always and everywhere and it's getting more and more stupid. Political correctness simply tends to sweep problems under the carpet, not to solve them. Changing terminology by force (whether legal or "only" socially punished) leads to anger or censuration and simple subordination. Avoid showing any profile, avoid being critical, it makes you vulnerable. That's the message.

You may now ask, why I am angry right now
. I tell you.
I just opened a cynical on-topic Civ thread at CFC about the stupidity to give food bonuses for wines and sugar while not doing so for horses. I argued that it was that the publishers feared the anger of friends of horses and censurated themselves. What's the result: The thread got closed because "it could attract trolls and cause flames."
It's here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=70556

I want an end of this stupid castration and censorship, I want to say what I mean as long as I don't use fecal language or directly insult anyone or spread hate or slander someone.

Thank you for listening.
Old December 1, 2003, 19:56   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Wernazuma

At most, if the thread descended into flame (which wasn't doomed to happen), they could have moved it to the off-topic. Such censorship makes no sense.
Old December 1, 2003, 19:57   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:30
Old December 1, 2003, 20:01   #4
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 22:30
You are using unnecessary strong and offensive language, Wernazuma

Just to take an example, "censorship" sounds too negative and could be replaced by "adjusted free speech" or perhaps even "positively adjusted free speech"
Old December 1, 2003, 20:02   #5
Spec
Emperor

Dont be angry, posts always get closed on Civ fanatics. That place is like a church man. I once got one of my threads closed because I said "It is possible that geaorge bush never won the election and it was rigged". I even got a warning....

One time, I also started a thread named ''What turns you off '' with a poll. It got closed because the choices could offend some people because they might be or have the ''things'' that were mention that could turn off people....

I also had a signature where it said: ''Hey baby, todays word is legs, how about we go home and spread the word". I received a PM from a mod asking me to change it.....

I never went there again.

Spec.
Old December 1, 2003, 20:08   #6
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 08:30
People have the right to express offense at anything that they are sincerely offended by.

That does not mean that freedom of speech needs to be suppressed. We do not have a right to be free from being offended -- but we also have the right to express ourselves when we feel offended.
Old December 1, 2003, 20:13   #7
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 07:30
CFC is a private site, and Apolyton is its friendly rival private site. Not only can CFC choose to do whatever the hell it wants to, it's cheap when it's whined about over here (and I can't imagine this thread lasting remarkably long either.)

But, yes, censorship and PC are awful.
Old December 1, 2003, 20:15   #8
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

I agree with you, too much PC is bad.

But you Austrians are nuts anyway

I was in Vienna for the first time yesterday, and I was impressed by the sight of people waiting on a semaphore with a red light although there were no cars to be seen anywhere near. Huge crowds on both sides of the road. I took a photo
Old December 1, 2003, 20:17   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
CFC is a private site, and Apolyton is its friendly rival private site.
The only difference is that Apolyton is a thousands of times better than CFC
Old December 1, 2003, 20:21   #10
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
I was in Vienna for the first time yesterday, and I was impressed by the sight of people waiting on a semaphore with a red light although there were no cars to be seen anywhere near. Huge crowds on both sides of the road. I took a photo
The Germans do it too. You get used to it very quickly. It is strangely very comfortable not to have to think at all when crossing a street: red bulb= stop, green bulb=walk, and it is inconceivable that it could be any different
Old December 1, 2003, 20:21   #11
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
CFC is a private site, and Apolyton is its friendly rival private site. Not only can CFC choose to do whatever the hell it wants to, it's cheap when it's whined about over here (and I can't imagine this thread lasting remarkably long either.)
Just forget the CFC bit. Sure they can do what they want, where did I contest that. That was just the trigger right now, but I'm angry about this for much longer! If our mods wish, I can remove the CFC episode or link, it's not the most important point.
But PC for itself is certainly worthy to be discussed. (and I didn't call the thread "I don't like CFC", it just helped to explain)
Old December 1, 2003, 20:24   #12
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
I agree with you, too much PC is bad.

But you Austrians are nuts anyway

IIRC, you've been at Graz before, right? I'm sure you haven't experienced that over here, right? It's our balcanic southern sould.
Old December 1, 2003, 20:24   #13
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:30
bah, don't come here whining about other forums . That's not the Poly way
Old December 1, 2003, 20:25   #14
VetLegion
Emperor

Spiffor, yeah I guess you get used to it.

It's just funny picturing Wernezuma here respecting semaphores by day and raging about horse meat in the evening

No offense meant Wernezuma

Btw., it was a great trip and Vienna is a beautiful and very friendly city.

To add to the adventure, on the way back, our bus burned. Completely burned, destroyed by fire. Electrical instalations. Nobody got hurt but still... weird.
Old December 1, 2003, 20:27   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:30
hmm, not sure what a semaphore is, going to look it up
Old December 1, 2003, 20:29   #16
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Btw., it was a great trip and Vienna is a beautiful and very friendly city.
Really? Everytime I went to Vienna and asked for a way, when I actually got an answer I could be sure that it was either by a tourist, a Turkish person or by someone who actually lives in the province but never by a proper Viennese.
Old December 1, 2003, 20:29   #17
VetLegion
Emperor

I visited the technical museum and military museum. I could spend half a year discovering Vienna but it was a one day trip.

Here is a pic of the bus.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0192.png
Views:	151
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	58497  
Old December 1, 2003, 20:30   #18
Nubclear

Think
Rapist
Say
Sexual Deviant
Think
Retard
Say
Mentally Challenged
Think
Founding Fathers
Say
Framers
Think
****ing USA!
Say
America
Think
Men At Work
Say
People At Work
Think
Daddy
Say
Male Parent
Think
Mommy
Say
Mommy
Think
Bullying
Say
Intimidating
Think
Stupid
Say
Ignorant
Think
Elderly People
Say
Older Persons (WTF?)
Think
Grandma
Say
Mother-of-my-mother
Think
Grandpa
Say
MaleParent-of-my-Maleparent
Think
This food tastes nasty!
Say
This food is slightly overcooked
Think
Anti-Soviet Terrorist
Say
Freedom Fighter
Think
Anti-American Terrorist
Say
Terrorist

Old December 1, 2003, 20:30   #19
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Oh, and btw.: my remark about the "balcanic soul" of Graz was of course no offense.
Old December 1, 2003, 20:32   #20
Wernazuma III
Emperor

What bus is this?
Old December 1, 2003, 20:35   #21
VetLegion
Emperor

Wernezuma actually I was surprised how diverse Vienna is. I knew there were many people form ex-Monarchy there, but I did not expect so many turks, asiates and others. It seemed almost like Amsterdam. I didn't expect it due to it's central location (ie not a port city). Just shows how little I know, it is a great city and as such has to be diverse.

Loads of funny situations as I discovered Croatian speaking people everywhere. Or me and my brother chatting on our bad german with the guard of the Heergeschihtemuseum. "How much range does that cannon have? 500 meter? nooo" museum staff was helpful.

Most of the people in the group went to the Kunst museums, but we really hit the prize with Military and Technical. I recommend
Old December 1, 2003, 20:44   #22
VetLegion
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
What bus is this?
It is a Neoplan bus. The driver told me it was only 3 years old. Had all the equipment, seatbelts, AC, good seats .... and it still burned to the ground within 15 minutes.

We just saw the lights flicker, then something smelled like burning and the driver stopped. We exited and when we turned back driver seat was on fire

And within minutes the whole bus. Firefighters arrived within 15 minutes but they could do nothing. At least it is insured so owner will get something back.

P.S. sorry for the threadjack
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0109.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	58501  
Old December 1, 2003, 20:48   #23
Wernazuma III
Emperor

No problem .
Anyways, I go to sleep now, it's 1:50AM now. (Yes, it's time for bed for you too, Vet! )

Thanks guys, I feel better now.
Old December 1, 2003, 21:12   #24
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
People have the right to express offense at anything that they are sincerely offended by.

That does not mean that freedom of speech needs to be suppressed. We do not have a right to be free from being offended -- but we also have the right to express ourselves when we feel offended.
I thought I already explained this . . . . .
Old December 1, 2003, 21:29   #25
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

How to Speak About Women and Be Politically Correct

1. She is not a Babe or a Chick - She is a Breasted American.

2. She is not a Screamer or Moaner - She is Vocally Appreciative.

3. She is not Easy - She is Horizontally Accessible.

4. She does not Tease or Flirt - She engages in Artificial Stimulation.

5. She is not Dumb - She is a Detour Off The Information Superhighway.

6. She has not Been Around - She is a Previously Enjoyed Companion.

7. She does not Get You Excited - She causes Temporary Blood Displacement.

8. She is not Kinky - She is a Creative Caretaker.

9. She does not have a Killer Body - She is Terminally Attactive.

10. She is not an Airhead - She is Reality Impaired.

11. She does not get Drunk or Tipsy - She gets Chemically Inconvenienced.

12. She is not Horny - She is Sexually Focused.

13. She does not have Breast Implants - She is Medically Enhanced.

14. She does not Nag You - She becomes Verbally Repetitive.

15. She is not a Slut - She is Sexually Extroverted.

16. She does not have Major League Hooters - She is Pectorally Superior.

17. She is not a Two Bit Whore - She is a Low Cost Provider.
Old December 1, 2003, 21:38   #26
Spiffor

@ Sloww

Quote:
5. She is not Dumb - She is a Detour Off The Information Superhighway.
This one is a classic !
Old December 1, 2003, 21:47   #27
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Here at the Institute, we don't believe in discrimination - we believe it's our God-given right to offend, insult, and degrade EVERYBODY, regardless of race, sex, sexual preference, or disability. (And I do mean God Given Right.)

Remember, folks, it's your Constitutional Right to use words like "faggot" and "beaver"--that's what the First Amendment is for, isn't it? And what is it with all this "African American" and "Italian American" bullshit, anyway? Isn't just "American" good enough? Anyone would think the good ol' US of A was some kind of great big melting pot.

Just remember, your biggest weapon in the fight against Political Correctness and other Tools of Satan is OVERSTATEMENT. That's right. Take every possible opportunity to ridicule the enemy, and make up bizarre claims about what they want. If a woman wants you to call her Ms Smith instead of Miss Smith, make it clear to the little darlin' that IT'S THE END OF CIVILIZATION AS WE KNOW IT! All feminists, civil rights activists and liberals want to destroy Our Way of Life! Never forget that COURTESY IS FOR COMMIES and EQUALITY IS UNAMERICAN!

Just a few of the courses on offer:

BASIC INSULTS 101

What is with these uppity cripples wanting to be called "disabled" - or worse yet, "disabled people"? They'll be wanting wheelchair ramps yet. And as for "Native Americans" - why, anyone would think they were here first. Remember, it's *your* right to decide what you'll call someone else, and if they get upset about, chant the School Mantra: "You're just being Politically Correct... You're just being Politically Correct..."
(3 credit points - *plenty* of fieldwork)

DETECTING POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

It's a lousy job, but someone's gotta do it... the course starts with the history of PC, tracing it from those nasty liberals using it to describe their opponent's insincere lip-service to equality, right through to the modern usage to indicate ANY OPINION TO THE LEFT OF ATILLA THE HUN!

Point out PC at any opportunity, preferably where you're not wanted (eg over on soc.women - an extension course on Baiting Feminists will fill you in on the finer points of Opening Doors for Ladies, Making Light of Rape, etc).
(3 credit points - all the field work you want)

REPETITIOUS JOKES 101

Perhaps the greatest weapon in the anti-PC repertoire. The course includes plenty of field work, including writing to the newspaper complaining about gender-inclusive language. Remember, "person" has the word "son" in it, so it should be "persibling", right? Haw haw haw! I must be the first person *ever* to think of that crack! Ha ha ha ha!
(3 credit points - a bonus 3 credit points if your name is "Chapman"
so you can claim the PC addicts would insist on calling you "Personperson".)

http://www.thelaughweb.com/modules.p...=article&sid=2
Old December 1, 2003, 22:55   #28
MrFun
Emperor

The first amendment is also for flag-burning.
Old December 1, 2003, 23:27   #29
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 09:30
insert george carlin style rant here.
Old December 2, 2003, 00:27   #30
MrFun
Emperor

So Slowwy -- get rid of your PC attitude -- how dare you express being offended by flag burning!!