Old December 4, 2003, 01:59   #1
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 13:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Holy moly what a Merlot!
Wow. I've never before had an alcoholic drink that had me deep down wanting to grab for the next sip. Thing is this is pretty *tty stuff, as well (I imagine) - '99 Columbia Red.

Yes there have been countless wine threads.. but never enough! What are some of the wonderful lower/mid end selections for a starting wino? Are nationalities always relevant? Are you adept at describing your favourite's taste via pompous wine-ology? Who took my car keys that one time, when the guy who was saying all that stuff was nearby?
Old December 4, 2003, 02:17   #2
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 07:37
U Diojnt' liek wine

PI like wiskey

I likel cownd

JOn Miller
Old December 4, 2003, 02:26   #3
Zylka
King

Jon, you seem to be drinking at an alarming rate compared to how you seemed before. Just make sure it's controlled
Old December 4, 2003, 03:04   #4
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I was kicked out tonight

out of th
e ****ing bar

waititng ot get sover bnow

Jon Miller
Old December 4, 2003, 03:07   #5
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I didb't drink befoiyre cther summer

I am better now

J(Oj Millllllllltyyyy
Old December 4, 2003, 08:08   #6
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 08:37
what isi *tty supposed to mean?

only thing i can think of is sh~tty, and that usually means a bad thing?

if it's good, i'll write it down for future purchase and consumption.
Old December 4, 2003, 08:12   #7
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Anyone else think Millers faking it?

Nonetheless, Drogue in 5...4...3...2...
Old December 4, 2003, 11:09   #8
Zylka
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
what isi *tty supposed to mean?

only thing i can think of is sh~tty, and that usually means a bad thing?

if it's good, i'll write it down for future purchase and consumption.
*tty is sh*tty upon my own assumption, although it was wonderful for my own experienced taste.

Jon - YOU got kicked out of a bar??? The hell happened - talk to me on AIM, you never seem to be online
Old December 4, 2003, 11:11   #9
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 09:37
Jesus people, it's not that hard to maintain some semblance of effective typing whilst inebriated. I'm ****ed out of my gourd right now and I'm still spelling words fine (I think).
Old December 4, 2003, 11:31   #10
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 14:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Whaleboy
Anyone else think Millers faking it?

Nonetheless, Drogue in 5...4...3...2...
I think most people who make 'drunken' typos on this board are faking it....I've posted here p1ssed many times and the worst that happens to me is that I forget how to spell long words so I just use two or three small ones instead
Old December 4, 2003, 11:38   #11
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka

*tty is sh*tty upon my own assumption, although it was wonderful for my own experienced taste.

Jon - YOU got kicked out of a bar??? The hell happened - talk to me on AIM, you never seem to be online
yah

nothing happened, just like the last time I was kicked out

(I am always on AIM )

Jon Miller
Old December 4, 2003, 11:39   #12
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever

I think most people who make 'drunken' typos on this board are faking it....I've posted here p1ssed many times and the worst that happens to me is that I forget how to spell long words so I just use two or three small ones instead
it is harder to type wihle drunk

but yuo can still pull it off if you type slowly and use the backspace a lot

I usually don't

Jon Miller
Old December 4, 2003, 12:41   #13
East Street Trader
Prince

My local restaurant has a Rioja which is to die for - at a very reasonable price (well comparatively - the prices charged for wine in UK restaurants being scandalous).

I have set myself the target of drinking the place dry of this stuff!!
Old December 4, 2003, 12:46   #14
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:37
The sweetest wine with the sweetest intoxicating effect I have ever drunk is called Maurodafne, comes from Patra (the best of its kind) and it is so sweet and balanced you won't even realize that we're getting drunk and when you do it's the sweetest drunkness you'll ever experience. And it has no hang over. I don't know who thought up the recipe, it's quite an old one, but whoever did was a genious. Needless to say it is very addictive and not to be used often.
Old December 4, 2003, 12:54   #15
Japher
Emperor

Even when I'm sober I misspell words, so I guess it doesn't really matter if I'm pisssed drunk or not... and I hardly ever make any sense

I don't like wine...

Miller; that avatar IS driving me insane.
Old December 4, 2003, 13:34   #16
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:37
If you go that nutty over a merlot, I can't wait to see you try good cabernets, shirazes and pinot noirs.

On T-day, we had a case of a superb Beaujolais. I'm not usually a Beaujolais fan, but this one was quite good.

As a very rough guide, the best wines for the buck are usually in the $20-40/bottle category. You can find good wines cheaper, but it's more difficult. Anything over $50 may be excellent, but not really worth the cost.

If you have a good wine store nearby (not just a liquour store), the clerks will usually be pretty knowledgeable and can help select good wines based on price.
Old December 4, 2003, 14:06   #17
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 14:37
Re: Holy moly what a Merlot!
Quote:
Wow. I've never before had an alcoholic drink that had me deep down wanting to grab for the next sip. Thing is this is pretty *tty stuff, as well (I imagine) - '99 Columbia Red.

Yes there have been countless wine threads.. but never enough! What are some of the wonderful lower/mid end selections for a starting wino? Are nationalities always relevant? Are you adept at describing your favourite's taste via pompous wine-ology? Who took my car keys that one time, when the guy who was saying all that stuff was nearby?
Merlot is typically a heavier red. If you like that, then you'll probably enjoy Pinot Noir and Pinotage too. Despite what Boris may claim, Merlot's image is far from shabby as is generally considered a cut above Pinot Noir. Cabernet is usually considered to be the king. I'm a fan of all that stuff myself, though I also enkoy a lighter red (such as the magnificent Fleurie- king of the Beaujolais).

Columbian wine hasn't got a great reputation- certainly not as good as the US wines. Of the Latin American nations, Chile is a real star.

I don't drink white except for Gewurztraminer.
Old December 4, 2003, 14:53   #18
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
I used to dislike whites too, but then I had some really good New Zealand Riesling (not too sweet).
Old December 4, 2003, 15:19   #19
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:37
Despite what Laz does claim, I never said merlots were shabby at all. I just tend to enjoy the other wines I mentioned more. This is generally because, from what I've experienced, you can find inexpensive, quality labels of those wines easier than of merlots. Overall, merlots tend to have less bang for the buck.
Old December 4, 2003, 18:19   #20
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever
Actually, I spell better when I'm drunk, because I bother to check and try to look sober.

Grape variety is a personal thing. Whether Cabernet is regarded as better than Merlot is a matter of opinion, suffice to say the very best wines in the world (in terms of desirability and critical acclaim) will usually not declare, and will be a mixture of varieties. The New World vinyards seem to do this less, which is a shame, since blending can lead to a more balanced wine, and stick to mostly single varietal wines.

If you like Columbian Merlot, may I suggest some other South American fare: Chilean Merlot is a favourite of mine, and over here is about the best value wine possible (£3-5 will net a nice, drinkable and fun wine). Also Argentinian reds have been more available here, mostly Malbec, Shiraz and Cabernets, but a few Merlots. However my current favourite 'glugging' wine is a French Country Merlot called Les J'amelle (sp?).

I wouldn't really bother about years, or even if it's a vintage, for South American's, just something not too old, and not too young (ie. '95-'02). At a low price, it's trial and error which are good and which aren't, though supermarkets (over here at least) are pretty reliable and label pretty correctly.

All this reminds me I'm in dire need of a glass or two

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 4, 2003, 18:21   #21
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 15:37
Martini Fondata a torino at present.
I suppose a toast to starchild is in order.
Old December 4, 2003, 18:55   #22
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Re: Holy moly what a Merlot!
Quote:
Are nationalities always relevant?
Yes. Even more so than the grape variety IMHO. Partly becuase different regions use different grapes, and partly because of the way it's made and the climate. For instance, Pinotage is only available in South Africa, which is a little Merlot like, but spicier.

Quote:
Are you adept at describing your favourite's taste via pompous wine-ology?
I can be Though usually I'd rather not. You can explain them in terms of fruits, nuttiness/grassiness (usually more for whites) spices and tannins (for reds), but there is debate about what each actually is, let alone how it relates to the wine. Merlot is a round, full but usually smooth, berry-like flavour. It's a medium tannic wine, so it's not too harsh and astringent like a Cabernet, and not as rustic as a Shiraz/Syrah. It's blended into many French wines, including Claret (St. Emilion and Pomerol side of the river mostly).

I could go a lot more pompous, and talk about how to visually imagine the wine, but it's all just how I think of it. I'm begining to prefer something I can happily glug to something that stimulates the palate in a pompous way I even have a couple of Clarets that you can sit and happily drink without having to think about them

Old December 4, 2003, 19:38   #23
Zylka
King

haha Jon... now I remember, I don't think I ever had you signed on but was using your account at one point. PM me your SN

As for this wine.. it's really quite disheartening to have the same effect upon return to light drinking through several month long absences. Always after two or three glasses of (drink x) - the warm "hey, wouldn't it be nice to ALWAYS be like this? Why don't I start drinking on a more consistent, functional basis???" mode of thought kicks in.

That's alcoholism teetering, I imagine. **** whatever, the taste of this variety is DELIGHTFUL
Old December 4, 2003, 20:06   #24
Drogue
staff

Can you give us details so I too may partake in the delightful flavour

Old December 4, 2003, 21:58   #25
Zylka
King

Well, at smell it's slightly less acrid than the battery acid which shot out on to Grandpa's leg during the '94 in law fiasco at Victoria. Upon taste; a subtle rendering of the many isopropyl swabs applied to kneecaps during one's youth dances flirtatiously with a past wish that the Welches at Paul's house weren't sugar free (for his parents inane lack of parental skills). Then you get happy and sociable until this massive headache comes about but it goes away aa anad eventually ge tt t ing very sl eeeeeeepy..
Old December 4, 2003, 22:50   #26
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I never get headaches

and don't usually get sleepy

if I drink too much the world get's spinning, I can't stand up, and I throw up (sometimes)

I have never blacked out

(yeah, you aren't on my buddy list, but did use my account )

Jon Miller