Old December 6, 2003, 16:36   #61
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 15:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

---
Which aspects of Bush most appealed to you, when he first got elected?
1) The deeds of his father and the ideology he represented
2) The dullness of Gore
Old December 6, 2003, 16:39   #62
el freako
Prince

Local Time: 13:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
2) The dullness of Gore
You should have remembered the old chinese curse 'may you live in interesting times"
Old December 6, 2003, 17:02   #63
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 09:39
Quote:
Say what you want about Bush and his team, but you must admit that Karl Rove is a political genius.
I agree (and it isn't contingent on the short memory of the average person). But on the other hand, this political stunt cost us some money. Maybe only a couple hundred million, but still...
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 6, 2003, 18:32   #64
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
Good to see Shrub acting responisbly for a change.

Quote:
Say what you want about Bush and his team, but you must admit that Karl Rove is a political genius.
Dude, you can't be serious. This whole issue has got to be one of the biggest political blunders Shrub has done in his presidency. First, he enacts steel tariffs early into his administration, pissing off the principled anti-protectionists in the Republican Party. In addition, it causes a fundamental rift between the US and its European allies when their support is really needed. Now, norrowly averting a trade war, he's repealed these tariffs, seriously pissing off steel workers in the up-for-grab steel industry states. So, he's alienated free traders in the right, steel workers, and the rest of the world. Good job, Rove.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old December 6, 2003, 19:40   #65
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT

About 80 years ago, at 12, my mother entered the work market, and she was likely paid in the same range. The countries doing that now will probably need less time to increase the salaries to decent levels.

It is not reasonnable to forbid that kind of work without offering to the families concerned an equivalent income, because they need it.
My PoV exactly.

They may not be making near what we make, but they're making a lot better than they otherwise would.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.