Old December 4, 2003, 18:03   #1
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 09:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Bush mulls major new space effort
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=...4-104042-8972r

Quote:
Bush mulls major new space effort
By Phil Berardelli
United Press International
Published 12/4/2003 2:47 PM
View printer-friendly version

WASHINGTON, Dec. 4 (UPI) -- Since last spring, the Bush administration has been conducting a confidential effort to establish a dramatic new goal for the nation's civil space program, perhaps rivaling President John F. Kennedy's call to place a U.S. astronaut on the moon before the end of the 1960s, sources told United Press International.

Only a few administration insiders have been involved, with Vice President **** Cheney heading the effort, said sources, who requested anonymity.

Though some details have leaked out -- most notably reports Wednesday and Thursday that President George W. Bush will call for returning Americans to the moon -- sources insist no final decisions have been made. Instead, the president is reviewing a list of alternative goals -- some of them more practical than dramatic -- that must conform to a pair of overriding directives: Any option must be achievable within a reasonable period of time, and it must not require any major new federal spending.

Bush's decision and announcement, sources told UPI, could come as early as Dec. 17, when the president is scheduled to speak at Kitty Hawk, N.C., at a ceremony marking the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brothers' first powered flight. The matter also could be deferred until January 2004 and included in his State of the Union address to Congress.

The White House Office of Management and Budget has completed a cost review of the proposed alternatives. Reportedly, the alternatives validate the idea a new U.S. space initiative could be attempted with existing or proposed technology and hardware and could avoid the budget build-ups of previous projects, such as the

space shuttle or the International Space Station -- although such a policy change would require NASA to make tough choices regarding cuts in existing programs.

Sources said the White House space policy review is not connected to the ongoing investigation of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, which was made necessary by the space shuttle disaster. On Feb. 1, shuttle Columbia broke up over several southwestern states during its reentry into the atmosphere, provoking a massive re-examination of the agency's manned space program.

Instead, the effort seems to have grown from a more fundamental motivation to reform and revitalize NASA -- something Cheney has been championing almost from the first day he and Bush took office in January 2001.

Bush ordered the policy review in late May. Since then, it has proceeded slowly and carefully, sources said, perhaps more so than any previous examination of the space program. Its progress was managed at a series of meetings involving only a few participants, headed by Cheney and including NASA administrator Sean O'Keefe.

The recommendations were developed confidentially by O'Keefe and his staff and the cost of each recommendation was analyzed by OMB and evaluated according to Bush's twin directives. Cheney -- who has gathered other input from members of both houses of Congress with an interest in the space program -- will make the final recommendation to the president.

On July 20, 1989, on the 20th anniversary of the first Apollo moon landing by astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, President George H.W. Bush proposed a return to the moon and an attempt to go to Mars. Neither of those proposals so far has borne fruit.

If Bush accepts the new recommendation for a major space objective and makes such a commitment -- and if the effort moves forward -- it would represent the first time in nearly two decades a U.S. president has proposed a new vision for the space program that yielded results. The last time such a proposal succeeded was when President Ronald Reagan announced a plan to built permanent space station in his January 1984 State of the Union speech.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old December 4, 2003, 18:07   #2
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 07:39
Quote:
Any option must be achievable within a reasonable period of time, and it must not require any major new federal spending.
The new space program will consist of astronauts throwing cameras up into the air?

Quote:
Bush's decision and announcement, sources told UPI, could come as early as Dec. 17,
Of course. All the dorks who would scoff at it for any reason will all be watching LOTR.
Old December 4, 2003, 18:13   #3
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
read that this morning. apparently, sources at nasa say that there really isn't a major shift in organization or planning in the works.
Old December 5, 2003, 00:20   #4
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

wow, this died quick.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old December 5, 2003, 00:26   #5
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 07:39
That's my specialty.
Old December 5, 2003, 00:31   #6
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
And just what would be the purpose of spending billions of $$$ to go back to the moon? Criminy, what a retarded idea.
Old December 5, 2003, 00:33   #7
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

We will do it not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

Old December 5, 2003, 00:36   #8
Boris Godunov
Emperor

What the hell does that have to do with spending billions that could otherwise be spent on, oh helping the poor, modernizing American infrastructure and industry, etc. on a TRIP TO THE MOON that will do...well, what, precisely?

We've been there, done that. JFK is dead, Bush can't pretend he's JFK by just shooting people at the Moon.
Old December 5, 2003, 00:45   #9
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

we have to beat those damn commie chinese!
Old December 5, 2003, 00:51   #10
Boris Godunov
Emperor

We did! We beat them there 34 years ago!!!
Old December 5, 2003, 00:52   #11
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
And just what would be the purpose of spending billions of $$$ to go back to the moon? Criminy, what a retarded idea.
As opposed to spending billions of $$$ on conquering Middle Eastern nations?
Old December 5, 2003, 00:54   #12
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

bush is trying to prepare for space invaders...
Old December 5, 2003, 00:54   #13
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Well, apparently "they" haven't learned their lesson. Don't f*ck with the US space program. We own the moon. *****es
Old December 5, 2003, 00:58   #14
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

actually its a battlezone on the moon...
Old December 5, 2003, 01:09   #15
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Wow. It really doesn't seem that long ago...
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old December 5, 2003, 01:38   #16
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

and what have we done with it?

Our situation right now parallels that of China in the 14th,15th century. They had the ships, they had the people, they had the resources, but their bureaucrats forbade them to travel outside of china. And it has taken them this long to climb out of making that mistake.
Old December 5, 2003, 01:58   #17
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 15:39
Will they really land on the moon this time?
Old December 5, 2003, 02:13   #18
Whoha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Morgan
Emperor

Heh, you've never seen the feather and the hammer drop have you BeBro?
Old December 5, 2003, 02:41   #19
The Mad Monk
Emperor

We really need to get off this rock.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 5, 2003, 03:45   #20
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

space is a waste of money.

what kind of conservative is he? He is spending all our money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 5, 2003, 03:59   #21
Ned
King

Local Time: 05:39
Finally!

I NEVER could understand why we stopped exploring the moon or why we never planned to explore Mars. We had the rockets and the infrastruture primed to do both. Then we killed these missions in order to build a space truck that has turned out to be a garbage truck.

I say we pull the plug on the space station and the shuttle and focus on a Moon base and exploration of Mars.

In fact, why don't we sell the space station to the Europeans? They love projects that have no ambition.
Old December 5, 2003, 04:00   #22
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

mars is impossible with current technology.
Old December 5, 2003, 04:11   #23
Ned
King

Local Time: 05:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
mars is impossible with current technology.
So what?

We are among the most resourceful and inventive people in history. We can do the impossible if asked.
Old December 5, 2003, 04:42   #24
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 13:39

Republicans lamblast democrats for frivilous spending yet....
There are sooo many better things Bush could be spending money on But as someone already said...At least it's not going to bombing Middle East countries
Old December 5, 2003, 05:18   #25
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

what is that aqua colored thing in your avatar? I can't tell.
Old December 5, 2003, 06:08   #26
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 22:39
@Ned
Do you really believe that the international space station belongs only to the US?
Old December 5, 2003, 06:28   #27
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
Ugh.

Just promise a 10 billion dollars prize to the first private company who builds a base on the moon and succesfully mans it with 5 people for 6 months.
It will be 10 times less expensive and more worthwhile than having NASA do it.
Old December 5, 2003, 06:41   #28
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
All talk, no walk.
Old December 5, 2003, 06:45   #29
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

ah space....i love space....but until a new revolution in rocketpropulsion we will be mostly stuck on this dirt ball...and for the record all the IMPORTENT parts of the ISS is made by ESA ....but it has to be transferred up there by space shuttle...
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old December 5, 2003, 06:46   #30
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

@ azazel then go and become an earospace engineer and change that
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us