Closed Thread

Old December 15, 2003, 08:13   #151
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Too much time has passed. Furthermore, many ideas will be inspired by the changes to the series that Civ 3 introduced, so the old list is just that: Old
However, we should at least go through The List and see what proposals could be reused. At least go through the Essential Civ3 List - many good proposals in there that went unheeded.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old December 15, 2003, 16:46   #152
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Beta
Hmmm - this will require some thought. I like the early comments about the combat system from CtP.

But I think the first thing I would ask for is that Asmodean's avatar be one of the leader heads.

Yeah...that'd be nice, eh?

Asmodean
Old December 15, 2003, 16:47   #153
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu

However, we should at least go through The List and see what proposals could be reused. At least go through the Essential Civ3 List - many good proposals in there that went unheeded.
What do you guys think my good night reading is these days

Asmodean
Old December 18, 2003, 06:34   #154
Space05us
King

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Its called Windows for a reason
I dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but being able to play Civ in a window would be nice.
Old December 18, 2003, 06:46   #155
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:42
I agree, its one of the things that makes civ2 so addictive to play, and easy to hide at work.
Old December 19, 2003, 12:29   #156
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

What I'd like in Civ4:

A new era
Like mentioned in this thread:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=50341

This thread was before PTW's time though, but still valid
Old December 19, 2003, 18:57   #157
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:42
sorry about posting this here too, but I don't want it to get lost and couldn't figure out where to put it:

I would also suggest adding air capacity to the game... basically designating air routes for supplies in the game.
For example: Armor Units in Washington can be put onto a Cargo Plain and flown to the front in Tripoli, or something of that sort.
Old December 19, 2003, 23:24   #158
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

I don't know where to put this so...

I'd like to have the option to create civs out of your own civ. So if your nation becomes too rowdy, you can seperate a part of civ and rebuild your nation.
Old December 20, 2003, 13:45   #159
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Frozzy, I'll take that and add it to the Civilizations section... It's an intriguing idea, although I don't know how much use it will really get... why would someone want to give up part of their nation unless they were going for space victory? or some sort of non-size, non-combat victory?
Old December 20, 2003, 13:56   #160
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

If your Civ is on the verge of revolting against you, you can just cut off the rowdy cities so you can work on making the ones you have better.
Old December 20, 2003, 13:59   #161
DarkCloud
staff

I suppose that makes sense.
Old December 20, 2003, 15:33   #162
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

If we have some kind of vassal feature in Civ4, the newly created civ should be that. After all, they have been given their independence by you, right? If there is no vassal feature, the new civ should at least have very good relations to you for a long time, and be very forthcoming to all oyur proposals.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old December 20, 2003, 15:50   #163
Myrddin
Warlord

Maybe not - how friendly are the ex Soviet states to Russia?
Old December 20, 2003, 17:12   #164
DarkCloud
staff

Actually, many of them are very friendly toward russia and are moving toward an economic union with mother russia... look at the Asian-SSR states for examples of that, Myrddin.
Old December 20, 2003, 17:22   #165
Nikolai
Deity

Well, firstly the ex Soviet states didn't get out of the union with the motherland's blessing... And think of it; If a country is granted independence with the motherland's blessing, don't you think they'd be gratefull?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old December 20, 2003, 18:00   #166
Myrddin
Warlord

The Central Asian states were not very friendly to Russia (or Russians living in them) at the time of the break-up of the USSR - friendliness now has more to do with economic realities
Old December 20, 2003, 19:15   #167
Nikolai
Deity

See my post...
Old December 21, 2003, 02:27   #168
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:42
It's just that a lot of people put a lot of time into developing ideas for Civ 3 and they were unheeded. Some of them might be obsolete by features in the new game, but surely it is easier to update ideas that are thoroughly discussed and polished than to start from scratch?

Maybe it's just my software development habits
Old December 21, 2003, 02:35   #169
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
It's just that a lot of people put a lot of time into developing ideas for Civ 3 and they were unheeded. Some of them might be obsolete by features in the new game, but surely it is easier to update ideas that are thoroughly discussed and polished than to start from scratch?

Maybe it's just my software development habits
It's not just you.

No matter what or if any ideas from this forum are implemented, large numbers of people will be satisfied and large numbers of people will be dissatisfied.

I thought that Wizards of the Coast's Selecting Eighth Edition event would bring people together. Wrongo. The Magic online community is more polarized than ever.

Bottom line: You can satisfy some of the people some of the time and you can't satisfy all of the people all of the time.
Old December 21, 2003, 02:42   #170
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:42
Well, I wasn't exactly saying that huge numbers of people will be disappointed, I was merely saying that a lot of people are going down some well trodden paths over and over again.

It seems that these people will be bitterly disappointed when their suggestions get ignored by Firaxis, like what happened last time.
Old December 21, 2003, 05:33   #171
Nikolai
Deity

We obviously should have learned something by now, though...
Old December 23, 2003, 14:25   #172
art_vandelai
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:42
Changes to city/country model
I'd like to see CIV evolve from the 'found a city with x radius and build everything in that area model.

What I envision is a 2 level map. The main level of the map would be similar to the current map - that would be used to move your units, and administer the game. The second level would be at a higher level of detail (think 10 x 10 for each square).

In the start of the game, there would be fewer cities and more spread out farming type commuinities, until the techs were researched to allow for urban type facilities (granaries, aqueducts, etc.) Buildings would be placed on a square (or number of squares for larger buildings, walls, etc.

An army would not be able to occupy an entire main map square, unless there's enough room there for its units (maybe 10 squares per unit in the beginning) or a barracks/fort in the square to house it.

Instead of moving workers around, use the population in each square to create additional improvements. Building forces, settler caravans, etc. would subtract population to each square
while building farms, granaries, aqueducts, would increase the rate at which a square gained population.

Large cities later on in the game would take up several map squares, and be able to apportion % of the population to various tasks (i.e. 10% agriculture, 5% military, 20% transportation infrastructure, 30% city production, 35% commerce) while the buildings in the vicinity (not necessarily in the same square - would expand with technological development) would add to each square's working effectiveness.

Defenses would be handled by building military facilities (e.g. barracks, forts, in the syquare(s) to be defended, or by moving armies from square to square. At the detail level, you would see the camps, forts, etc. showing multiple battalions.

Roads would take up 1 small square and be continuously upgradable. (pathway, cobblestone, asphalt, highway, interstate) and would increase in effectiveness in terms of moves per turn with each upgrade. Railroads and roads would be mutually exclusive. Armies would only be able to move 1 way on a road or railroad each turn. There would be a significant cost for upkeep of roads at the higher levels, which will ensure that superhighways only get built between major cities, not on every square of the map.

To aid in micromanagement, make a number of map squares selectable at a time (CTRL-click), and the preferences can be set at a global level.

I like the idea of claiming land by settling in the vicinity or having armies stake a claim. If an area is sparsely populated, in diplomacy, other civs could contest your ownership, and even start moving troops in to provoke a war.

I would like to see more buildings/improvements/wonders available, as well as more middle-late game unit types.
Old December 28, 2003, 07:14   #173
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Small Idea: have the AI rename cities
Ell, here is a very small idea that I think would add some spice to the game:

When a Civ has conquered a city, this Civ should give it a new name when the city's culture under the conqueror exceeds the culture there was under the previous ruler

I think it would be a nice addition, and it'll really look like you're waging war to Germany or to the Celts
Old December 28, 2003, 16:21   #174
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 07:42
Spiffor,
Nice.

Did anyone else who played SMAC find themselves suddenly enraged when a base taken by the AI had its name changed? It could be the worst base ever, one that you intentionally left unguarded, and you'd get the message "The So and So have changed the name of FosseLand. They now fasion it, "Discotown."

Suddenly nothing else mattered except getting the base back and renaming it!

It is the little things like that, Spiffor, that really add up.
Old December 29, 2003, 13:27   #175
Bonaparte
Warlord

Last night I started a new game on a random, huge map with a lot of islands. There were only 3 competing AI civs. After a short while I discover that 2 of the AI civs started on the same island as I did, while the other AI civ had the rest of the huge map for there own. The point of me setting up the game the way I did was so that hopfully each civ would start on there own island. In the end I had to start over. So I thought to myself they should have a little box on the set up screen that you can either check off or not check off. If it is checked off then you will be guaranteed that each civ will have there own starting island or continent...and if not checked off then the game will distribute civs in the same fashion it does right now.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:24   #176
vee4473
King

Not sure if this is the place, or if it has been mentioned.

I would like the designers to solve the problem of having to manually reassign city workers after a polluted square is cleaned up.

This is especially a funsucker when you have specialists assigned in many cities, and if you just click the city center, then yeah, the the worker goes back to work, but so do all the specialists.

Then you have to reassign the specialists.

Surely a solution can be found to streamline this process.

I don't understand why the game code ,or whatever, can't automatically send the city worker back to the tile he came from.
Old December 29, 2003, 17:51   #177
vee4473
King

Oh and by the way, this same issue applies to reassigning city workers after you make entertainers to keep the peace during govt switches or before you build an improvement.

then you have to go back in and reassign.
Old December 30, 2003, 23:40   #178
Bonaparte
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473
I would like the designers to solve the problem of having to manually reassign city workers after a polluted square is cleaned up.

This is especially a funsucker when you have specialists assigned in many cities, and if you just click the city center, then yeah, the the worker goes back to work, but so do all the specialists.
I'll second that motion.
Old December 31, 2003, 01:18   #179
Q Classic
Emperor

the old list(s): i have the old firaxis forums wish list for civ3 in a doc format. i'll upload it by next week when i get my computer back.
Old January 1, 2004, 06:23   #180
Merp
Settler

Local Time: 23:42
I think the sooner that multiple threads or a dedicated forum for Civ 4 ideas is implemented the better. I know that the original idea was to start on a single thread, but this thread is already pretty chaotic, with a lot of repeated ideas.

EDIT- OK, I'm a tool who should have checked the rest of the forum first

Last edited by Merp; January 1, 2004 at 10:01.
Closed Thread