Old December 5, 2003, 17:39   #1
Kilian Vassar
Settler

Local Time: 14:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'm a newbie. Play with me?
Um ... hello.
I am new to this site (luckily I'm not new to Alpha Centauri) and I would like to play a few seperate games with some people to test my skills. I haven't been able to find SMAX around, I'll keep on looking. So I can only play normal SMAC games. Anyone interested?

Kilian Vassar

p.s. I ALWAYS play with "blind research" deactivated.
Old December 5, 2003, 18:41   #2
AgentSubversion
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of Technology
Warlord

Local Time: 08:43
I'll play ya, gimme a email @ XXagentsubversion@aol.com (without the x's)
Old December 5, 2003, 20:08   #3
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Same here if you're looking for a head to head, got some spare time to fill.

XXKris_no1@hotmail.com

any other setts in mind ? are we gonna use a CMN or just a random generated map ?
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old December 6, 2003, 11:38   #4
Kilian Vassar
Settler

OK. I can hardly wait to finally play with some REAL enemies. It's party time!

Random map is fine to me, I usually play on a huge map but I think smaller would be better if it's only the 3 of us. It'll be my first multiplayer AC-game though, so I don't really know how to start it. Can you explain me?

-KV
,,In the end we will find that intelligent life is always built up in the same way : the core ruling the cell, the brain ruling the body, and : the intellectual elite ruling the masses within a society. Human community-based behaviour is nothing less than behaving exactly as our body behaves." - Kilian Vassar Al'acada, State of the Body : Body of the State
Old December 6, 2003, 14:43   #5
AgentSubversion
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of Technology
Warlord

There's still enemy AI in a 3 player, so a huge map ain't a bad thing. I'm poised to create and send off the first turn, if you don't mind. Who wants who? I want University if it's old school SMAC. Any thoughts?
Old December 6, 2003, 14:49   #6
Kilian Vassar
Settler

Yep, it can only be SMAC 'cause I don't have the expansion. I'll take the Gaians - mindworms rock! I don't really understand what you mean with create and send off the first turn. Could you explain?
,,In the end we will find that intelligent life is always built up in the same way : the core ruling the cell, the brain ruling the body, and : the intellectual elite ruling the masses within a society. Human community-based behaviour is nothing less than behaving exactly as our body behaves." - Kilian Vassar Al'acada, State of the Body : Body of the State
Old December 6, 2003, 15:04   #7
Lazerus
King

I'd say get 4 players if we're doing a team game, otherwise it ends up a 2v1. Also i'm up for a CMN creating the game so nobody gets stuck on an island with 16 tiles and has no realistic chance of doing well.

If we're playing SMAC then i'll take the Hive.

Average everything is fine with me, or low erosion i like. Since we have a Gaian player I guess i'll have to settle with the damn average fungus
Directed research ON
Steal tech when conquer base, maybe turn this to encourage a more aggressive game ?

As for map size i'd say shrink it to normal at most, otherwise its just gonna be a zak vs morgan builder game.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old December 6, 2003, 16:09   #8
Kilian Vassar
Settler

So we got : gaians, university, hive, normal map, low erosion, average fungus (), steal tech when conquer, blind research off, anything else? It all looks fine to me so far.
-KV
Old December 6, 2003, 18:55   #9
AgentSubversion
Warlord

The way play by email works is much like a chain letter.
You get a password, and a turn in your email. You take your turn and save it (it'll prompt you). Then you email the turn to the next player.
A CMN is someone who creates the game and ensures all have a 'good' start point. I like the random aspect. It was a crash landing and all, maybe you DO land on an island. And all the factions are pretty balanced, it's never manifest how it's gonna turn out. Univ vs Morgan deadlock isn't how a game will turn out because of map size.
If random is alright, i can create at any momet. Lemme know.
Old December 6, 2003, 19:49   #10
Lazerus
King

If all factions are balanced why are you university everytime? Try playing with the believers or hive on a huge map with nobody around you it ain't pleasant when people are transcending while you're rubbing sticks together

ok though, if you're desperate to get started i'll hope for the best with a random placement.
We launching with 3 i assume then ?

Also Kilian we need your email.

I generally get on the computer everyday between 17:00 and 19:00 GMT after work just incase you want to arrange some sort of placement, though it only seems Kilian is GMT+1 so it wouldn't make too much difference between us.
Old December 6, 2003, 21:04   #11
AgentSubversion
Warlord

I like that tone of voice, I tried beleivers yesterday. I'll take Sister Subversion. Mmmmmm
Old December 7, 2003, 08:37   #12
Kilian Vassar
Settler

Ok my email is (keep it a secret please) xxReinder_R@hotmail.com (everyone puts xx before his mail for some reason, so scrap the xx please ) A game via email sounds perfect to me, I can find some time to play every day, probably just not when you guys are around. It's gonna be just the 3 of us? All fine to me. btw I REALLY hate sitting on an island, so please please please put me on a good inland spot.
-KV

p.s. do I have to have special software or anything to play an email game? Any patches?
Old December 7, 2003, 10:45   #13
Lazerus
King

Yeah you should go download the latest patch, gets rid of a few bugs and stuff but other then that nothing special is needed.
The positions are random Kilian, thats why most games are started by an independant player,CMN, who checks that everybody has a fair start.
Old December 7, 2003, 10:53   #14
Kilian Vassar
Settler

Ok where can I find this patch? And is there anything more I should know? When are we going to play?
-KV
Old December 7, 2003, 10:53   #15
Kilian Vassar
Settler

And how can I put a picture next to my name ?
Old December 7, 2003, 20:30   #16
AgentSubversion
Warlord

It's on the official Alpha Centauri webpage, and check your control panel for pictures.
I'm an unhappy drone!
Soon as i hit 500 posts i'll be something else....
So, since we got no CMN, random with low amounts of H2O?
Old December 8, 2003, 14:17   #17
Lazerus
King

SMAC
Random map
Standard size
Average fungus
Low erosion
Low rainfall (if you want, doesnt bother me, aint tried it before so will be interesting)
Low/Average oceans
Directed research
Steal tech when conquer base

Lazerus - Hive
AgentSubversion - Believers
Kilian - Gaians

I assume we're playing transcend aswell

I think that about covers it. Start when ready
Old December 8, 2003, 15:22   #18
Kilian Vassar
Settler

Do we really have to play on transcend level? I wouldn't mind a little bit easier...
Old December 8, 2003, 21:59   #19
dacole
ACDG The Human HiveBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 13:43
Hey guys need another player? Stinks that all the good factions for a smaller map are already taken (hive uni gians) would say the believers could be good but the way probes are done in a multiplayer game makes them kind of impossible. If you need another player I would take Lal. Would love to have a larger map if possible but will take what I can get. Let me know oh and Kilian transcend is the only way to go believe me, if we go any lower well it won't be pretty...
Old December 9, 2003, 09:20   #20
Sebed
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

If it's not too late, I wold like to play with You too.
I can take Morgan if it's still free.
Old December 9, 2003, 09:22   #21
Kilian Vassar
Settler

OK! 2 more players. Now we're talking.
Larger map's fine to me, I need a little more time to download that patch- haven't looked yet. Lazerus or AgentSubversion, will 1 of you create the game? I don't know how.

KV
Old December 9, 2003, 09:38   #22
Kilian Vassar
Settler

Ok I got the patch (I think). Is it smacp4e.exe from the firaxis site? And let's summarize the rules one more time:

Large or Huge map suggested
directed research
Small oceans - large land mass
transcend level (unfortunately )
Low erosion
I propose medium or large rainfall
average fungus
kilian - gaians
sebed - morganites
dacole - peacekeepers
lazerus - hive
agentsubversion - believers

Does everyone agree?
Old December 9, 2003, 09:44   #23
Sebed
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

i agree to your propsition about rainfall - low rainfall makes terrible boring game.
Old December 9, 2003, 19:52   #24
AgentSubversion
Warlord

I concur
Old December 10, 2003, 04:17   #25
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 06:43
I was wondering if I might also join in, I am also a PBEM virgin and will likly need some pointers. I have created a new E-mail account specificaly for this game

xxxxImpalerWrG@yahoo.comxxx (without x's ofcorse)

I need to know adsactly what version of SMAC we are using, how do I determine what version of SMAC I have and how to update it it its old.

I will also need to know about all these "common" PBEM rules. I am fairly familar with the games bugs and flaws and know too avoid most obvius exploits but I dont know much about other rules and codes of behavior.

I like all environmental options at average
Size less then Huge
Directed Research
All victory conditions
Tec steal is ok, as is survey thingy but are not musts
I like random events on and for their to be lots of Pods.

I am usaly a Builder and love Lal, but as he is taken I will indulge my Evil side and take Santiago.

Now we just need a University for a full game! (Zak picked last, this must be a first)
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old December 10, 2003, 13:36   #26
Lazerus
King

Can i just point out here if everybody wants to go ahead with this 6 player game that we get a CMN to make the start positions fair and this game will last AGES, literally 2years even with a good pace, just so you all know what you're getting yourselves in for with being new so please make the commitment and stick with it if you start.

About the map size aswell, i'd still like it at average size, with how slow this game is going to be its going to take months before anybody meets and we can actually start the interesting part of diplomacy.
Old December 10, 2003, 15:44   #27
Kilian Vassar
Settler

Good! The sooner we get started, the better. And remember, go easy on Lady Deirdre please, she's new

-Normal land size
-lots of rain
-little erosion
-average fungus
-large land masses (no 16 square islands )
-unity pods everywhere & map survey (if you want it off, now's your last chance to say
-kilian - gaians - xxReinder_r@hotmail.com
-lazerus - hive - xxKris_no1@hotmail.com
-agentsubversion - believers - xxagentsubversion@aol.com
-dacole - peacekeepers - xxImpalerWrG@yahoo.com
-Impaler - Spartans - xxxxImpalerWrG@yahoo.comxxx
-sebed - morganites - I NEED YOUR EMAIL
-steal tech when conquer, directed research, no tech stagnation (so the tech won't slow us down to much either)
-transcend level

Ok check all the above and correct your email if necessary. It's wednesday with me today, I'll (try to) create the game coming friday. Any changes can be given until then! Sebed give your email. Everyone, log in to agree please. We'll start off friday, ok?
Yours powerfully,

Kilian Vassar Al'acada
Old December 10, 2003, 15:50   #28
Kilian Vassar
Settler

How do you like my new end-of-message title? Impressive, eh? Shall we play a game some time in which everyone creates his own ideal state? But first, we're going to play the game we've been creating for some time now. Everyone ready?
-KV
Old December 10, 2003, 20:00   #29
Lazerus
King

The idea of a CMN is for an independant player to create the game and set the passwords, he can then check the starting positions of everybody and if people want add nice tweaks like starting with 3 colony pods and 2 scouts rather then the usual, or stuff like that.
Old December 10, 2003, 20:11   #30
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 06:43
Several things

You double listed my E-Mail, both for me and for Dacole (fotunatly its obvious who it actualy belongs too).

Would prefer errosion/rainfall at average (if not both then just one if thats possible)

Map size is good

Why not get a 7th players, it shouldnt be that hard. A lone AI would get so beat up and abused.

What version of SMAC do we need to have?

Is it ok if I upload all my saves to the forum rather then E-mail them (I am having trouble sending but I can recive).
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche