Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 08:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell

But only if Clinton is on the quarter.
I'm sure the Chinese wouldn't mind putting him on their currency.
Old December 9, 2003, 08:03   #122
Mr. Harley
Prince

Local Time: 09:43
The reason I said that Gorbachev was a great man is because he didn't take the easy way out that most totalitarian governments do - shoot the protestors. The entire system he had been raised in supported exactly that. He chose not to kill people, knew he was taking a risk (his generals told him from what I understand) and at that moment sealed the fate of the Soviet Union. He didn't intend that as a result. But he had decided not to stay in power while standing in a pool of blood. How many rulers with that much power, and the ability to do that, have made that decision? That is why I consider him a great person. How many American presidents have made a moral decision that put their presidency at risk, knowingly? (by the way, they do exist - I'm going to have fun watching the posts )
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old December 9, 2003, 08:57   #123
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 23:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Reagan was president for 8 years in what turned out to be the last gasp of the Cold War, was a great orator himself, and created........ so I can see why people consider him just as memorable as FDR.
Churchill was a great orator. Reagan read scripts. There is a difference.

The fact that people fell for Reagan's manufactured hooey is one of the great mysteries of the eighties, like deely boppers, legwarmers and rah rah skirts, and the success of A Flock of Seagulls. Does the United States have any coins made out of brass? Commemorate the Divine Deceiver on a suitable metal. That or tin, for the hollow sound of a tin can kicked.

Still, at least we have Nancy to channel Ronnie now. Just like in his second term....and his first.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old December 9, 2003, 09:47   #124
Verto
King

Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom

Churchill was a great orator. Reagan read scripts. There is a difference.
Reagan wrote many of his own speeches...
Old December 9, 2003, 09:55   #125
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

And Churchill wrote many scripts.... don't worry Verto, it's another pathetic attempt by the left.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 9, 2003, 10:11   #126
molly bloom
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
And Churchill wrote many scripts.... don't worry Verto, it's another pathetic attempt by the left.

Of course it is dear. You keep taking your medicine, and lighting the incense in front of your votive bust of Ronald the Modern Prometheus, successor to Oatmeal Man, Geraldus of the Ford.

Hilarious, were it not for the existence of the Churchill cult on the Reaganite right. Pity none of them had his ability with words, either in writing or oratory.

" I've occasionally called Cap my 'Disraeli'. But as I think of him and the service he's given the nation in the cause of freedom and peace, more than anyone else, it's Churchill who comes to mind."

Ronald Reagan on Caspar 'the Defensive' Weinberger's retirement.

It's difficult to know what is funniest about this- the ludicrous image of Weinberger (sorry, 'Sir' Caspar) as Disraeli, or that Ronbo actually bothered to find out who Disraeli was, what with all the pressures on his time as leader of the free world consulting astrologists and watching old Disney films, and not, repeat not, tinting his hair.

Old December 9, 2003, 10:49   #127
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Or that your delusions are incorrect and Reagan was much more intelligent that you could have ever thought possible.

It seems you are also bitter that Reagan is acknowledged to have suburb oratory skills... 'Great Communicator' and all. I guess I don't blame those on the left for being so bitter about it .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 9, 2003, 12:58   #128
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 05:43
@ molly bloom
Old December 9, 2003, 18:16   #129
molly bloom
King

Quote:
Or that your delusions are incorrect and Reagan was much more intelligent that you could have ever thought possible.

It seems you are also bitter that Reagan is acknowledged to have suburb oratory skills... 'Great Communicator' and all. I guess I don't blame those on the left for being so bitter about it .
It would be nice to think you could mind read, because as I stated before, there's a job in a carny booth waiting for you.

I'm not bitter that Republican spin doctors managed to create a myth of a great communicator. Communicating what exactly? If someone manages to get across that 2 + 2 = 4 they're simply communicating the perfectly obvious. Perhaps your willingness to idolize the mediocre blinds you to his evident mediocrity. 'Suburb' oratory skills in fact unwittingly (Freudianly?) sums it up. Sound bites catered to feed seemingly meaningful aural pap to people in between advertisements for Bengay and Anusol- probably the right niche for the Thoughts of Chairman Ron.

It's nice you think of me as the Left, although now I see I've been demoted merely to 'on the left'; however my gripe on the oratory issue isn't politically motivated at heart- it's because I love the English language, spoken and written, and the idea that the flatulent huckster for American big business is somehow a modern Demosthenes or Cicero is ludicrous.

'I think of Cap as my Disraeli.' Yeah, sure you do Ronnie. So what does that make Ronnie? Queen Victoria? How ludicrous.

And no, I don't believe Reagan suddenly jumped in intelligence quotient points when he became Governor of California or President- all it meant was that from reciting second rate lines in B movies he went to regurgitating second rate lies in his own 'B Movie'- the scriptwriters just became better paid.

As I said before, and as Gil Scott Heron wrote, the American people wanted John Wayne, but what they ended up with was ersatz True Grit. Hollyweird.

Old December 9, 2003, 18:22   #130
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 07:43
Molly, I think what Imran's looking for is a link saying O Holy Reagan spoke from script instead of his own words.
Old December 9, 2003, 18:37   #131
Verto
King

Let's just forget about dimes and nickels and quarters, and go for a more honorable place for President Reagan.

Old December 9, 2003, 18:38   #132
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

Intelligent??

This is the same president who thought that trees caused pollution!!
Old December 9, 2003, 18:40   #133
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
Let's just forget about dimes and nickels and quarters, and go for a more honorable place for President Reagan.
Put him on the $500 bill? Yeah, that's good. The rich abused his power during his Presidency, why not now too?

Old December 9, 2003, 18:52   #134
Verto
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

Intelligent??

I am tired of you radical liberals and your mythical notions of 'pollution'.
Old December 9, 2003, 18:58   #135
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
As opposed to Carter and his "killer rabbit"
Old December 9, 2003, 19:13   #136
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Sound bites catered to feed seemingly meaningful aural pap to people in between advertisements for Bengay and Anusol- probably the right niche for the Thoughts of Chairman Ron.
Ah the bias is shining through. Did I hit a nerve? If you just saw sound bites because it is more a condemnation of your intelligence . Have you listened to or read his speeches in Moscow State University, Berlin, 1st and 2nd inaugural... and if you do some digging, you'll see Reagan had a substantial role in writing those speeches, making more changes to the speechwriters text than Clinton (who did it a lot as well).

Quote:
it's because I love the English language, spoken and written, and the idea that the flatulent huckster for American big business is somehow a modern Demosthenes or Cicero is ludicrous.
Are you asserting that Churchill is a modern Cicero?

I prefer Reagan as a modern Burke, Madison, or FDR in terms of oratory skills.
Old December 9, 2003, 19:56   #137
Drake Tungsten
Deity

How can anyone question Reagan's oratorical skills? I'm not a big fan of his presidency, but there's no denying that the man had an uncommon gift with words.
Old December 9, 2003, 23:04   #138
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Reagan was president for 8 years in what turned out to be the last gasp of the Cold War, was a great orator himself, and created........ so I can see why people consider him just as memorable as FDR.

At any rate, your original post was about the failings of Reagan, not his successes. I was just pointing out that FDR had his fair share of failings as well.
You forgot to mention what reagan created: what is reagan's legacy? Did he create any great program? or undo any great program or social practice? As for being in office for 8 years...so was Wilson, a man who most certainly deserves to be more on money than Reagan (he was on money once, but bills that large are no longer in circulation) As for the end of the cold war, one can give arguements, but no proof, plus the real end came under Bush senior. As for Great Orator, I doubt Reagan's most memorable speeches, being rather topical, will carry forward as leasons of anything.

You can make great arguements for many other men to be on money, president and not( why not MLK on money?) BUt to attempt to place a man on coin beofre he is even dead? There the repug cult of personality has gone too far.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old December 9, 2003, 23:13   #139
molly bloom
King

Quote:
[

Ah the bias is shining through. Did I hit a nerve? If you just saw sound bites because it is more a condemnation of your intelligence . Have you listened to or read his speeches in Moscow State University, Berlin, 1st and 2nd inaugural... and if you do some digging, you'll see Reagan had a substantial role in writing those speeches, making more changes to the speechwriters text than Clinton (who did it a lot as well).

Are you asserting that Churchill is a modern Cicero?

I prefer Reagan as a modern Burke, Madison, or FDR in terms of oratory skills.
Can't quite see where I compare Churchill with Cicero or Demosthenes, but the Republican right certainly seem to see him in that light- after all they swarm to hang on to the man's literary and political coat tails, having singly failed to come up with anyone of the same abilities themselves. Not surprising given the choices they've made for president.

Yes, I've read Reagan's speeches, and really, they don't compare with good oratory. As for contributing to his scripts- well I should think so! How about actually writing all of them- oh, right, too busy watching his old films. Well, someone had to.

I should hope my bias is showing through- I don't much care for stale fare, and Reagan's collections of received ideas, platitudes and the baldly obvious are like badly photocopied Norman Rockwell prints.

More Anusol dear? Or would you like a vanilla sound bite, only a day old?

Old December 9, 2003, 23:17   #140
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:43
Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom
If someone manages to get across that 2 + 2 = 4 they're simply communicating the perfectly obvious.
Not to Imran, since 2+2 can = 5 for him. Ask loinburger about that whopper.
Old December 9, 2003, 23:33   #141
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
You forgot to mention what reagan created: what is reagan's legacy? Did he create any great program? or undo any great program or social practice?
He did create much of the modern conservative movement.

Quote:
You can make great arguements for many other men to be on money, president and not( why not MLK on money?) BUt to attempt to place a man on coin beofre he is even dead? There the repug cult of personality has gone too far.
I don't want Reagan to be put on any coins. I was just opposing the FDR cult of personality that seems to whitewash all the bad stuff he did as president. He's no better than Reagan.
Old December 10, 2003, 06:59   #142
Mr. Harley
Prince

Drake, did Reagan create it, or did he become the symbol for it? Of course symbols often get more attention than the actual creator.

Modern conservatism, in the US, contains the seeds of it's own destruction. Tax cuts (starve the beast - neocon gospel) coupled to large budget deficits will eventually destroy our military. The large deficit/neocon strategy (please note "starve the beast" is their OWN WORDS for the strategy of large deficits/tax cuts that prevent new spending programs) will inevetably eliminate our ability to maintain our place as preeminent military power, something modern conservatives also believe in.

Whether it was Russian after the fall of the Soviet Union, Great Britian at the start of WW2 (they had no gold reserves - the US didn't believe it, and required them to prove it, it's why we swapped bases for old destroyers), the USA after the Civil War, the examples are innumerable. Trust me, if the neocon "starve the beast" deficits aren't brought into line, then when the US economy tanks, our military won't be far behind.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old December 10, 2003, 09:32   #143
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Drake, did Reagan create it, or did he become the symbol for it? Of course symbols often get more attention than the actual creator.
Does it really matter? He did do something, which is more than GePap and the other Reagan haters here have given him credit for.
Old December 10, 2003, 09:42   #144
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto

That sure looks good to me!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old December 10, 2003, 10:46   #145
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 15:43
Yeah, but they should replace the Mc Kinley inscription beneath Reagan's portrait.
Old December 10, 2003, 10:55   #146
MrFun
Emperor

Some of you guys' slobbering over Reagan is somewhat amusing.

Last edited by MrFun; December 10, 2003 at 11:09.
Old December 10, 2003, 10:58   #147
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 15:43
As is your persistent misspelling of his name.
Old December 10, 2003, 11:09   #148
MrFun
Emperor

Wow, that was like, a MAJOR comeback, Wintson.
Old December 10, 2003, 11:10   #149
MrFun
Emperor

I do have a question for Reaganphiles -- would you lick his shoes if he asked you to??
Old December 10, 2003, 16:20   #150
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Not to Imran, since 2+2 can = 5 for him. Ask loinburger about that whopper.
Hey Boris, perhaps you should check out THIS thread:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=103692

Where two people argue that 2 + 2 does not have to equal 4. Perhaps you can refute them because it is SUCH a whopper . Perhaps I was articulate or knowledgable about mathematics (such as Mod 2), but at least one of those posters is.