Old December 6, 2003, 22:31   #1
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 08:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
i need you to tell me
why exactly life is worth living.

sorry to be so overdramatic, but. i'm not in danger of hurting myself or anything, but i need to get these thoughts out of my head pronto, before they start festering.
Old December 6, 2003, 22:33   #2
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 07:48
To change the world for the better

No, really, I mean it

QUIT LAUGHING DAMNIT

Old December 6, 2003, 22:33   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

It beats the alternative

Whether there is some kind of life after death or not... I'm in no rush to find out...
Old December 6, 2003, 22:34   #4
Q Classic
Emperor

how does it beat the alternative? so much easier, quieter, and there are no problems...
Old December 6, 2003, 22:37   #5
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

IMHO... anything is better than nothing
Old December 6, 2003, 22:37   #6
MrFun
Emperor

Re: i need you to tell me
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Q Cubed
why exactly life is worth living.
[QUOTE]

Because guys like us need to stay around to keep conservatives in their proper place -- you're liberal, right??
Old December 6, 2003, 22:38   #7
MrFun
Emperor

Since when do mods have HUMBLE opinions, Ming?
Old December 6, 2003, 22:39   #8
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Since when do mods have HUMBLE opinions, Ming?
Good point...
Old December 6, 2003, 22:41   #9
MrFun
Emperor

See how power corrupts one's ego?
Old December 6, 2003, 22:43   #10
Q Classic
Emperor

moderate, mrfun. still, i am against a lot of rabid conservatives.

===

anything is better than nothing? the choice is looking like once between an agonizingly slow death and a merciful quick one. i'm tired of it.
Old December 6, 2003, 22:44   #11
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 13:48
Because you can decide what to do. You may feel that there is no reason at the moment, but that's probably because you're working towards a time when their will be. You're still at uni, right? Think of what you can do when you've finished. Have money to do what you feel, go out, have fun, etc. Get a job that fulfils you, either by helping others or by sheer enjoyment. Think of the possibility of falling in love, even kids maybe. There are many joys you can experience, and if you are at a stage when you do not feel them, remember you are probably doing the hard graft before you can get the next experience.

Life could be easy, quiet and without problems, but it would also be utterly boring. Remember, you are in control of what you do, so if you don't like your life at the moment, change it, do something different that you do enjoy. There will be times when you feel that nothing is preferable to whatever your doing, but there will be times when you don't, and if you quit during a bad time you'll miss any subsequent good times.

This is all a very flowery way of saying that, overall, life is generally better than the nothingness a non-religious person generally believes is the alternative. Even if not all the time, overall it should work out like that, and if it isn't, then change what you're doing.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 6, 2003, 22:46   #12
connorkimbro
Emperor

i don't know why YOUR life is worth living, that's something you'll have to figure out on your own.

I'll just say that MY life is worth living because I enjoy it.

-theonion.com
Old December 6, 2003, 22:49   #13
Ming
lifer
Retired

Most problems in life are temporary... things always change... Death doesn't. It's permanent
Old December 6, 2003, 22:50   #14
MrFun
Emperor

I'm going to enjoy Civilization III right now -- catch all of you philosophers later.
Old December 6, 2003, 22:50   #15
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Cherry Cheesecake!

In all seriousness, I would say because there is always something new out there that you might just enjoy quite a bit.
Old December 6, 2003, 22:55   #16
Q Classic
Emperor

[edit]

Last edited by Q Classic; December 6, 2003 at 23:35.
Old December 6, 2003, 22:57   #17
Q Classic
Emperor

[edit]

Last edited by Q Classic; December 6, 2003 at 23:35.
Old December 6, 2003, 23:00   #18
Q Classic
Emperor

[edit]

Last edited by Q Classic; December 6, 2003 at 23:36.
Old December 6, 2003, 23:03   #19
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirnwaffen
In all seriousness, I would say because there is always something new out there that you might just enjoy quite a bit.
Good advice... I've had points in my life where everything has looked black and dark... And things changed... Life is made of ups and downs... That's the way it is. Why cheat yourself out of the next wave of good
Old December 6, 2003, 23:06   #20
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 13:48
Forget disappointing family and comparisons to others. That's not who you are. You feel like that now, but the point of life is that you won't in the future, and you'll look back on this and be glad that you kept trying, even possibly laughing at what you would have missed if you had. As for the thanksgiving comment, as a therapist, she probably can't assume anything. Some American's may not celebrate thanksgiving.

You do have a reason to feel the way you do, otherwise you wouldn't feel it. The fact you feel life is that desolate is a reason to feel depressed. But you don't need to justify it, you don't need to explain to people that there's a reason for it, and you don't need to live up to whatever they may want. You only have to answer to yourself.

It's been said a lot, but the reason to carry on is because you won't always feel like this. You have years of life left and though at the moment, it may feel like life isn't worth living, you would give up all the later years because of feeling bad now if you quit. The long life that is left is the reason to carry on living now. You may feel like your dying a slow death, but so does someone with the flu, but they recover, and have a long time of wellness afterwards. You're getting help, you're trying to sort it, it takes time and effort but it will not last forever.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 6, 2003, 23:09   #21
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 09:48
Lemme see if I got this straight...

You had a tough time at a university which is world famous for being both difficult and impersonal.

You may have lost the one great love of your life, which may be repairable, or, at worst, reduces the field to a mere 3 billion other females.

You are a dissapointment to mom not for having been strung out on drugs, burnt down the house, or knocked up the minister's daughter, but for....?

You feel yourself an utter failure in comparison to others, which is the one sure way to make yourself nuts.

Perhaps a healthy dose of pespective is in order. It sounds to me like the plusses greatly outweigh the minuses.

As for me, I hate to leave a movie in the middle because I want to see how the rest of it turns out.
Old December 6, 2003, 23:19   #22
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
technically i'm at a uni. i had to take a leave of absence on account of health; my last two quarters there were so ugly that i don't qualify for finaid, and i have doubts as to whether i can afford going back for a spring quarter after winter.
How do you know if you're going to continue having issues for the rest of your life? You're only in uni. Tomorrow, you might win the lottery. Or your health might mysteriously get better. Things change. Death doesn't.

Quote:
as for love, well, **** it. i had something precious, and now... i can't give her the relationship she deserves because i'm being forced to choose between her or family.
If either one of them is worth a half ****, they'll forgive you.

Quote:
i'm a ****ing disappointment to mom, i'm an utter failure in comparison to others, and i have no ****ing reason to feel this way because by all rights and reasons, i should have nothing to ****ing ***** about.
Get this, pal. Successful suicide commiters are ALWAYS failures and WILL BE FOR ALL ETERNITY. Those that don't however, can have a sudden turn of events and work themselves back up.

If you really have nothing to ***** about but you're feeling this way, seek medical attention, please.

Quote:
i thought i had this ****ing thing licked. or at least beaten back. i'd been going to a therapist, i've been faithful with those little pink pills, but the therapist doesn't understand me at all because she had ****ing ask if i, an american, celebrated thanksgiving. i guess my slanted eyes confused her or some **** like that.
Oh. So I guess you already do then, okay. Don't worry about it, she just had a moment of extraordinary stupidity. Everyone does. As long as she doesn't spit out the **** any more, then disregard it. As I like to think when people piss me off, "Three strikes and they're out." Sounds like a first strike. (Hopefully )

Quote:
and i hate the fact that i can't talk to anyone right now, and that i have to try to eke out something from an online community that about as tangible as the ****ign window that i'm writing in.
Find someone to talk to, man. There's gotta be someone.
Old December 6, 2003, 23:29   #23
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

A gambler doesn't leave the table while he still has chips. You have a huge pile of chips....even if it's just your potential.

I'm sure you can do all the things you want in life -- it's just a matter of how easy or how hard it will come.

Remember, your ultimate success is what you and others will remember, not what you are feeling right now.
Old December 6, 2003, 23:33   #24
Q Classic
Emperor

the uni wasn't too difficult nor impersonal. one day i just wasn't able to leave my room and step outside. and then it turned out to be a few weeks later. my friends there offered to help, but self-reliance. i should be the rock others can stand on, i shouldn't ahve to lean on anybody esle. nobody will stay around, forever, but if i can for some people, that would be something. but i can't.
and i couldn't leave my room. i kept my blinds closed. i don't remember what i did. no drugs, i'vebeen straightedge all my life, aside from a spot of social drinking where i've never really gotten durnk.

she happens to be the granddaughter of two presbyterian ministers, btw. and she's not just the great love, but my best friend, too. we were planing.

disappointment because calling someone a michinnum (crazy) is almost as bad as telling them to go **** themselves and their mothers in kroean. and besides, even if i were depressed, i'm sure others have been, they managed to slog through it and keep functioning. why can't i? why did i end up getting stuck and unable to leave my room and why is it that once you **** up everything after it snowballs and keeps ****ign up ?

i didn't take the breather on account of physical health. i suppose that much is obvious now.

i'm sorry for doing this here. it's shameful and embarassing.

but i'm starting to rebalance. not as hysterical, i guess.
Old December 6, 2003, 23:36   #25
Ming
lifer
Retired

There was a period in my college days where life didn't look very promising... but I hung in there... transfered to a different school... Made changes in my life for the better... and if I hadn't, my two beautiful daughters would never have been born... two miracles that would never had had a chance...

Things change... you can count on it!
Old December 6, 2003, 23:53   #26
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
i should be the rock others can stand on, i shouldn't ahve to lean on anybody esle.
And you applied for this job exactly when?
Old December 7, 2003, 00:01   #27
mrmitchell
King

Take a breather, think of good things. Like the song connorkimbro linked to in the other thread. Or waking up refreshed after a good nap. Or a really good joke on TV...or a cold drink.

Go to the Onion, have a laugh. Play a game of Civ. Take a walk. Or a deep breath (then count to ten of course! ) Read a troll and laugh. Read an informed post, and agree.

When you get in the shits, for no reason at all, just an awful day or you're in some deep blue funk, think of good things that are on up there, that make you happy and vice-versa. You won't be in the shits for long, pal.

EDIT: I hope I didn't sound too cheesy
Old December 7, 2003, 00:03   #28
Q Classic
Emperor

it's always been a part of my self image.

my apologies for being so hysterical.

if a mod could lock it, please?
Old December 7, 2003, 00:04   #29
Q Classic
Emperor

btw, thanks all.

i'm feeling a lot more in control, and a bit better. that was... a kind of free=fall, i guess.
Old December 7, 2003, 00:06   #30
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
if a mod could lock it, please?
NP