Old December 7, 2003, 18:57   #1
larsenex
Warlord

Local Time: 13:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Advice for my game...
I am using the apolyton pack. I will give as much info as I can. My gov is Republic. I created four new settlers as i have only 11 cities right now and wanted to get up faster (am I wrong?) by faster I mean a larger prodution and such civilization. I have cease fire treaties with england and america (there are three other civs out there but cant see em yet) I have gunpowder units ( infantryman and cannons). I was going to build invading armies and attack england (whos civ is larger than me by having 14 cities..) No other civs have gunpowder yet. My real question is should I wait for more modern units OR attack now. AND.. what should my attaking/invading forces be made up of. I have seen posts about early attack forces but nothing about infantryman and knights or such. Please help. I am wondering if I should make stacks of say 4 infantryman 4 samurai and 4 knights but I am not sure. and another stack of just cannon for softening up the cities. England currently has three 12 stack units hanging around my borders and I feel I may need to deal with em first. Sorry for such a long post. Please advise as you can, if you need more info please tell me and Ill get it.....

Lars.
Old December 7, 2003, 19:21   #2
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:50
Go Fascism then Cavalry Tactics and destroy them with Cavalry.

edit/ i would also get more cities, maybe 25/30 and build mines on hills and mountains to support your Cavalry hordes.
Old December 7, 2003, 19:23   #3
larsenex
Warlord

Ah ok..but...
Ok go fascism and get cavalry. Um do you have advice for attack stacks? I have seen some posts as to 2 knights 4 infantry and 6 cannons. Do you like this stack? By the way would building Pikemen be better than samurai, or neither and stick to knights/infantry and cannons? Thanks Maq....

Lars
Old December 7, 2003, 19:44   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Okay if you want to go without Cavalry,

To attack you might use 6 Knight and 6 Mounted Archer or 8:4, this maybe outdated but it moves fast and causes trouble in unguarded cities, of course 12 Cavalry is preferred. Try to keep fast moving units together and slow together.

Pikemen are better than Samurai because they have lower support cost (4 pikemen/5 samurai) Pikemen also have shorter build time and Samurai will get killed fast in big fights. Samurai move 2 but Knights move 4, so Samurai are Ancient age unit.
Old December 7, 2003, 19:49   #5
larsenex
Warlord

hey Maq..um what do I use infantryman for and/or when. Do I use em to attack. For example I know where the capital is and you are planning to attack it. You know that the enemy has units (4catapults 4pikemen and maybe knights or samurai) in there. What would you bring to the party? I have cannons and infantry but was on the fence on when/how to use em. You say ideally I want all cavalry?...hmm
Old December 7, 2003, 19:58   #6
Maquiladora
Emperor

Infantryman is a tricky unit rarely used for me because gap of research between Gunpowder (Infantryman) and Fascism (Fascists) is very short because i go into Fascism gov so i build Fascists instead and then Cavalry when i get it, but if youre stuck you could go 6 Infantry 6 Cannons with another 12 stack of Cannons nearby and bombard, throw some Knights in there to keep them confused and pillage logistic roads.
Old December 7, 2003, 20:05   #7
larsenex
Warlord

Thanks Maq...
I am currently researching 'banking'? Should I change and try to rush to fasiasm and get the fasciast. By the way is the fasciast an offensive ranged unit? So to recap you would rather forgo infantry and head right to another tech and get cavarly asap..correct?

Thanks again

Lars
Old December 7, 2003, 20:14   #8
Maquiladora
Emperor

Make Fascism your research "goal" then go Cavalry Tactics.

Fascists are a defensive unit, think of them as an Infantryman with slightly better ranged ability, which means they can attack from back row in 12 stacks, but they are weak at back so use Cannon. Only build Fascists if you need units fast, otherwise Cavalry.
Old December 7, 2003, 20:19   #9
larsenex
Warlord

Why fasism....
Why fascism.. is it good ..um what are the bennies for getting it. Or is it just to get cavalry faster?

Lars
Old December 7, 2003, 20:29   #10
Maquiladora
Emperor

Fascism is much better than any previous gov, much better production is the main improvement, which means you can support more troops, make more public works and build things faster. When you discover Fascism go to compare government feature in "Empire Manager" and compare it to Republic.
Old December 8, 2003, 09:04   #11
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Well you should also ask yourself if you want to be in control of a fascist state?

I find i like to stay with monarchy(to get on the road to knights), untill i've got republic or communism. It may mean i get less of a technical advantage, but it sits better with me
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old December 8, 2003, 17:22   #12
Maquiladora
Emperor

and i bet you never once used a slaver either right
Old December 9, 2003, 06:45   #13
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

well i try to avoid the temptation of course(which means i have) - i dont use them in my armies(too powerful an option IMHO), just as standalone units and if the AI doesn't start a slave war on me first i dont slave back. If i have been slaved against, then the gloves are off, although i see it as freeing my caught slaves - i go for the cities with the slave symbol over them

So i would often get my a*se kicked in MP if playing someone less scrupelous than myself(unless i hosted the game and used the 'exclude' options)
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old December 11, 2003, 18:41   #14
larsenex
Warlord

Of what use are slavers? Please elaborate. Why is it something that is overpowered? I have never used slaves nor slavers in any game. What am I missing?

Lars
Old December 11, 2003, 19:15   #15
Maquiladora
Emperor

You can stack Slavers with an army and if that army wins any battle a slave will go to your closest city. Or you can just use Slavers on their own to "Slave Raid" cities, but this isnt as good because it can fail if the city has a city wall especially and the slaver will die.
Old December 12, 2003, 09:21   #16
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
You can stack Slavers with an army and if that army wins any battle a slave will go to your closest city. Or you can just use Slavers on their own to "Slave Raid" cities, but this isnt as good because it can fail if the city has a city wall especially and the slaver will die.
one slaver in an army ensures that one your cities will increase in population every time you win a battle. In some mods you have to have slavemasters though.

Some people like to have a couple of small armies designed specifically to go after barbs and incrrease popultion quickly. It is also useful to have slavers in border cities so that you can see when other slavers are coming to attack you, 'cos they can see all units. Slavers are also good to use as sentries watching for attack.

Last edited by Boney; December 13, 2003 at 19:35.
Old December 12, 2003, 11:43   #17
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Slaving = big time cheese tactic.
Old December 12, 2003, 12:46   #18
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 15:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Boney
Some people like to have a couple of small armies designed specifically to go after barbs and incrrease popultion quickly. It is also useful to have slaves in border cities so that you can see when other slaves are coming to attack you, 'cos they can see all units. Slaves are also good to use as sentries watching for attack.
I hope you mean slavers and not slaves Boney, or do you consider slaves as a plague who are spreading around and around like zombies?

-Martin
Old December 12, 2003, 13:00   #19
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

/me laughs, and almost falls off his chair
Old December 12, 2003, 16:03   #20
Maquiladora
Emperor

double postage.
Old December 12, 2003, 16:04   #21
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
Slaving = big time cheese tactic.
so true....

In MP i saw someone once let one of their own cities get captured by barbs and they then sat 3 stacks with a slaver in each around the barb city and killed a barb every couple of turns that barb city produced a warrior. I wont play with slavers in MP anymore.
Old December 12, 2003, 17:03   #22
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 08:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
so true....

In MP i saw someone once let one of their own cities get captured by barbs and they then sat 3 stacks with a slaver in each around the barb city and killed a barb every couple of turns that barb city produced a warrior. I wont play with slavers in MP anymore.
That is just sooooo evil
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old December 12, 2003, 17:56   #23
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

I actually considered suggesting that slaving be reduced two ways...

First by removing all barbarian slaving. Its cheesy. (basis: they always fight to the death)

Second by instituting a (hidden to the player) points system for slavery... I.E. if you capture a one stack.. you get one "slave point"... a 12-stack, 12 "slave points"

Maybe allow razing of cities, and the city size goes to points.

Then, have a (modifiable.. by government perhaps) value required to gain a slave... like... say.. 6 points. Every 6 "slave points" you get... a slave is generated in your empire.