Old December 7, 2003, 20:43   #31
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yes a mercedes or BMW is a superior car to a Hondai- but not in proportion to the price increase.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but you've got to remember that's no absolute truth, it's just your personal judgment. Others might place an higher emphasis on places you won't. I dare to say that if you develop interest, knowledge and personal experience with regards to wine, the importance of buying the right one will increase dramatically.

If you can afford the BMW and it increases your well-being, you should go for it. I grant you can always find some scumbag out there who bought his BMW to show off, but you're treating him like he's representing everybody who purchases expensive cars.
Old December 7, 2003, 20:45   #32
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Wait, maybe we better stop it here. I keep forgetting it's totally unrelated to everything else in the thread.
Old December 7, 2003, 20:46   #33
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 06:50
yes, we would never want to threadjack a thread.
Old December 7, 2003, 20:47   #34
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Old December 7, 2003, 21:01   #35
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:50
BMWs, Mercedes, etc, etc...I have noticed that judging by their arrogance that the most drivers of German cars ARE scumbags. The rudest drivers on the road IMO.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 7, 2003, 21:03   #36
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:50
I'm glad you're ok, Starchild

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old December 7, 2003, 21:18   #37
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

hell, I would have just given the kids the beer . That's why I have never worked as a cashier any time during my life. I'd be too much of a nice guy. Why should I care if some guys walk out with some Fosters?

I would have preferred they walked out with some good american beer. No that isn't an oxymoron.
Old December 7, 2003, 21:33   #38
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
because they are French or like the French
Actually the most expensive wine we have is Penfolds Grange Hermitage, an Australian wine.
Old December 7, 2003, 21:48   #39
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 09:50
... made from kangaroos
Old December 7, 2003, 22:02   #40
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

I'm glad you're alright, but this "back in the closet" thing and the other stuff you mentioned certainly is worrisome...
Old December 7, 2003, 23:47   #41
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:50
Quote:
Back in closet to family
I'll the second the "how the hell is this possible" question made earlier.

Good to hear that no good beer was harmed.
Old December 8, 2003, 00:04   #42
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Glad you're alright, but how common is armed robbery in the UK anyway? Here is the USA they shoot the cashier whether it's necessary or not.
Old December 8, 2003, 02:57   #43
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Monk
I'd be genuinely happier, healthier and more productive if I had more money. I'm pretty sure the same applies to you guys. I'd buy myself an expensive car but I'd do it to increase the levels of comfort, efficiency and personal safety. If you don't think there are substantial differences between the quality of wine or cars that generally correspond with the prices, you're the ones in need of a reality check..
I agree. The point is though the increase in price far outstrips the increase in quality. The $3400 (local currency) scarf at Escada is probably better than the $99 one at Tie Rack, but not by that much.

This reminds me of the Stupid Rich (courtesy of Dilbert).
Old December 8, 2003, 03:01   #44
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Actually the most expensive wine we have is Penfolds Grange Hermitage, an Australian wine.
Is it still Penfold's or is it now Southcorp?

Anyway, the Grange is good, but again, not worth the price IMO.
Old December 8, 2003, 03:07   #45
Mr. Harley
Prince

Happy you're okay - Echo the thought of others - How does one go back in the closet?
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old December 8, 2003, 03:12   #46
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 16:50
Good to hear you're fine. Won't repeat the closet question, since it seems annoying.
Old December 8, 2003, 07:16   #47
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I agree. The point is though the increase in price far outstrips the increase in quality. The $3400 (local currency) scarf at Escada is probably better than the $99 one at Tie Rack, but not by that much.
Which, in turn keeps you just as warm as the one you bought from the street venders

It always amazes me when people work so hard to get money that they never have time to enjoy it. I'd rather have a $10,000/year Trust Fund or something and settle down to do amateur writing and lots of sleeping in some place with low cost of living then work my ass off and have literally everything. Right now I'm only working full time because I need to save money to get a Master's Degree which'd get me a nice cushy uni job where'd I'd have long vacations and plenty of time to lounge in bed.
Old December 8, 2003, 07:24   #48
Chemical Ollie
King

Sounds more like simple shoplifting than robbery
Old December 8, 2003, 08:33   #49
Solly
Emperor

Er, Rich, don't you drink John Smith's? Why not get bottles of supermarket brand bitter instead?
Old December 8, 2003, 08:51   #50
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 16:50
Glad you're ok.

Next time though you coud utilize some of those karate chops to the neck of the baddies and drop them like flies.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old December 8, 2003, 08:54   #51
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I'm glad you're alright, but this "back in the closet" thing and the other stuff you mentioned certainly is worrisome...
Sounds good.

Good luck with the switch
Old December 8, 2003, 09:24   #52
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Hey Stew, didn't want sympathy from you. You can go back under your bridge now.

In my town, robbery in general is rare. Armed robbery even more so. I mean, the police don't even carry guns. However, in Ipswich, the nearest big town, there have been an increasing number of robberies involving knives at off-licenses.

As for my family....It's kind of a don't ask, don't tell thing going on. I mean, let's admit it new sweethearts, I'm camp. Usually not flaming but I'm no manly "grunt grunt, Beer. Women!" kinda guy. I'm a drama queen, I listen to disco, I always talk about my girl friends but never mention a girlfriend. That type of stuff. I'm *sure* they know I'm gay but they'll never say it and neither will I cause it just makes life easier. My mum, who does know I'm gay, can't actually bring herself to ever say the "g"-word. It's always "if you still feel that way...." when I talk to her on the phone.

This is the same woman who told me, at 16 years old just after coming out, that she hoped it was a phase. Love her but ****ing hell, I'm never forgiving her for that.

Anyway, I have very recently gotten back in contact with my biological father. Very nice guy but doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that will be joining PFLAG anytime soon. He thinks vegetarians are "strange people" so only God knows what he would think about a gay son. So I'm firmly in the closet with him at the moment.

Oh and how annoying is this: Started seeing this guy. Went extremely well. I accidently left my scarf in his car after one date. He stops calling me. I get this odd excuses when I manage to get through to him (which only happens when I call from a number he doesn't recognise as being mine). He has my scarf!! ARgh.

Oh, thanks for the good thoughts. Love you all. Except you Stew.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 8, 2003, 10:47   #53
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Love you all. Except you Stew.
Naturally.
Old December 8, 2003, 11:01   #54
Theben
Deity

Doesn't sound like you were in any particular danger. Still, it is well that you are well.

If they are caught they should be taken to a public square and thoroughly mocked for their stupidity. Fosters...jeez...

So are u now "trying to not be gay"?
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old December 8, 2003, 11:50   #55
Zkribbler
Deity

Man, Starchild, you are really on a lousy streak. Hope all this crud is merely the prelude to you going into a terrific streak.
Old December 8, 2003, 18:47   #56
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
My good streak was a month ago when I had a cute new guy in my life who wanted a relationship, a nice job with lots of money, and was having the time of my life. This is the consequence of that.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old December 8, 2003, 19:17   #57
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Starchild. At least you didn't get hurt in the robbery.
Old December 9, 2003, 06:05   #58
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Boshko
Which, in turn keeps you just as warm as the one you bought from the street venders
Oops, forgot to mention that it's a silk scarf, so the main purpose is to look good, not to keep warm.
Old December 9, 2003, 07:01   #59
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Oops, forgot to mention that it's a silk scarf, so the main purpose is to look good, not to keep warm.
What's the point of paying for a scraft that looks good? Its cold out and silk's not too warm.

Pretty much the only concession to aesthetics I've ever made are shaving occasionally, keeping the cute plant watered, and making sure my shot glass look cool and my posters are in good taste. And I'm damn proud of it
Old December 9, 2003, 07:45   #60
Solly
Emperor

Men + scarves = NO!!