View Poll Results: What kind of changes can a mapmaker make to the map?
No modifications 7 38.89%
Only land modifications, no resource modification 1 5.56%
Land modifications and minimal resource modification (i.e. not equal, but not totally uneven) 8 44.44%
Land modifications and large resource modification 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 7, 2003, 23:17   #1
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 09:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
If we do an EPIC should we hve a Premade or Random Map?
OK How many changes should the map maker be allowed to make to a premade map? Or should it be totally random or somewhere in between?
Old December 8, 2003, 00:14   #2
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:52
Who would this mapmaker be?

Frankly, I wonder if we can find an impartial map maker for an ISDG. I'm leaning towards "no modifications"
Old December 8, 2003, 00:41   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 07:52
I am totally opposed to a mapmaker, there is no way everyone can be sure of someone being unbiased in this.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2003, 00:43   #4
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
Who would this mapmaker be?

Frankly, I wonder if we can find an impartial map maker for an ISDG. I'm leaning towards "no modifications"
One of the three nuetral mods at CDG.

Striker, Eulidicus and one other guy, it might be bootstoots

One of those three will "make" it and the other two check.
Old December 8, 2003, 00:45   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Well I know Eulidicus and bootstoots and they would be fair................

Isn't CDG going to have a team though? I would suspect them screwing 1BC and Gamecatcher if they screwed anyone.
Old December 8, 2003, 03:07   #6
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Like Ghengis says, CDG isn't exactly neutral with respect to GCA. I wouldn't feel threatened as poly by those guys, but I doubt GCA would be happy.

But yeah, isn't CDG going to have a team? They're the guys who started this all...
Old December 8, 2003, 09:21   #7
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Hmm - I voted for no modifications. No matter how impartial folks may be - someone will gripe down the road. Let's leave it up to the vagaries of the game to decide starting positions. Luck of the draw.

We could also have someone review the start to ensure no one is really screwed by a bad start - but as we know - that is not perfect either. I say - leave it to chance. And may the godz of civ grant you three bonus food tiles and iron nearby.
Old December 8, 2003, 10:46   #8
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
Like Ghengis says, CDG isn't exactly neutral with respect to GCA. I wouldn't feel threatened as poly by those guys, but I doubt GCA would be happy.

But yeah, isn't CDG going to have a team? They're the guys who started this all...
First of all GCA ISN"T Happy about it at all

Second of all yes they are going to have a team but all three Administrators have taken a pledge to be impartial. And with virtualy every site out there taking part what else can we (The whole group not just Apoly do?)

Eidiclus (sp?), the Admin for CDG has assured us that no one will access to private forums they are not supposed to have access to.

So hopefully this work. Those three volunteered and you all pretty much know what a thankless job it is, so Im noit sure what else we can do.

And it is a mute point anyway because a majority of the teams have already approved them. So protesting at this point will get us nowhere and cause nothing but Ill Will.

We are currently about a week or so behind the power curve, we need to catch up and get on to the next issues which are these polls.

Old December 8, 2003, 11:33   #9
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

He he. I have no problem with this at all. I never liked GCA or 1BC that much anyway.
Old December 8, 2003, 11:38   #10
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 06:52
It seems like "No Modifications" is winning. I have a question for you all though. Would you be happy if we end up on a small island with bad terrain?
Tassadar500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2003, 13:00   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
It seems like "No Modifications" is winning. I have a question for you all though. Would you be happy if we end up on a small island with bad terrain?
You mean like GoW's one tile desert island start in the PTWDG?

No. But I would still play.
(But then I have a rep for playing it out to the bitter end due to my Stubborn trait.)
Old December 8, 2003, 15:01   #12
Kloreep
Emperor

I voted no modifications. But I think the map maker should generate a new one if someone gets a bad start (I don't want to try playing a So Very Cold game in MP )
Old December 8, 2003, 15:18   #13
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:52
I'd like to know that no one has been shafted with a bad start. These game involve so much time and so much effort that each team should have at least a chance, so the mapmaker should be allowed to make "small" mods to ensure a somewhat level start.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Togas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2003, 16:09   #14
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
I'd like to know that no one has been shafted with a bad start. These game involve so much time and so much effort that each team should have at least a chance, so the mapmaker should be allowed to make "small" mods to ensure a somewhat level start.

--Togas
This is what Im leaning towards.

The goal IMHO anyway to to have a fairly level playing feild for at least the start of al CIV's. That way you are competing fairly against one another.

Someone doesn't get an enormous advantage because of the luck of the draw.
Old December 9, 2003, 02:20   #15
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:52
What's the problem with someone making the map, but not assigning start locations? That way the map can be made "equal" but no preference's could be given. Isn't there a way to do this?
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote