Old November 15, 2002, 13:22   #1
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 10:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AU 205: The Power of Gold Revisited
From the golden hills of your homeland you shall rise once again, and enrich this new world with your culture. Let the Golden Age of our Civilization be forever remembered as the Golden Age of humankind!

Welcome to another class at Apolyton University. This time, the goal is to become familiar with Play the World. If you took AU 105, try to observe differences in gameplay, AI behavior, and PTW-induced strategy from that game. Just to be consistent with AU 105, try to maximize your Golden Age and show how it leads to the win. All victory conditions are acceptable.

The map, resources, and starting locations were randomly generated, with minor tweaks to make the game strategically more interesting. Only the new PTW civilizations are playable by the human.

The attached zip file contains two bix files. Both files are scenarios with the same map, but one has almost standard rules, and the other has a first attempt at a killer AI. Play the latter at your own risk, as it has not been tested yet. I say almost standard because there is a bug in the AI in the stock version of PTW: prior to tanks, the AI builds 6-6-1 guerillas for attack instead of 6-10-1 infantry. The solution is to increase the attack of Infantry (and Paratroopers and Marines, to be consistent) by one.

Use the old AU 105 thread for Q & A and tips.
Post spoilers in the spoiler thread.

Use the power of gold wisely!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip au 205.zip (73.9 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by alexman; November 15, 2002 at 15:48.
Old November 15, 2002, 13:33   #2
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 08:00
Thanks alexman!

Will there be a new Tips thread, or should us new folks use the old 105 tips thread?

Wheee!
Old November 15, 2002, 15:28   #3
badman
Warlord

Local Time: 16:00
Will there be any more AU's that don't require PtW? Or was AU201 the last AU with the original version of Civ3?
Old November 15, 2002, 15:28   #4
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki
Will there be a new Tips thread, or should us new folks use the old 105 tips thread?
I just started a new Results and Spoilers thread, but it probably makes sense to use the old Q & A thread since mostly the same strategy ideas should apply this time too. Thanks, Ducki, for dredging it up.

Nathan
Old November 15, 2002, 15:33   #5
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by badman
Will there be any more AU's that don't require PtW? Or was AU201 the last AU with the original version of Civ3?
The ideal in the future would probably be to release both standard Civ 3 and PtW versions of the AU games as long as there is significant interest. Of course since this game is copied from an earlier AU game, that would be a bit redundant this time around. But if you haven't played 105 yet, you can consider that the non-PtW version of this one.

Nathan
Old November 15, 2002, 15:47   #6
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Thanks. Just concluding PTW game one and the timing of this could not be better!!
Old November 15, 2002, 16:47   #7
nbarclay
Emperor

If you played 105, I would recommend playing this on the same difficulty level even if you would otherwise choose a different one. That provides the best basis for comparison.

Nathan
Old November 16, 2002, 15:01   #8
Killerdaffy
Warlord

Local Time: 15:00
Location: in other words a gang leader aspiring to Presidency
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
If you played 105, I would recommend playing this on the same difficulty level even if you would otherwise choose a different one. That provides the best basis for comparison.

Nathan
Duh! I didn't pay attention and played Emperor instead of Monarch like the first time...

****Bug Report*****

Something is wrong with culture in this game: My 2000 year old library in Istanbul gives 3 culture, my palace (5000 year old) 1 culture. A brand new library on the other side of the world provides 2 culture (??!?). So

a) the culture for old buildings didn't double and
b) a new library gives only 2 culture instead of 3 even though the settings are correct in the .bix file (I checked)

Strange... And it messes up my Master Plan !
Old November 16, 2002, 15:56   #9
Killerdaffy
Warlord

This gets stranger: The problem disappeared after I made peace with the Iroquois. Everything is back to normal but the accumulated culture is still shows that I received less culture during the war. Now, that's not normal, is it?
Old November 16, 2002, 20:40   #10
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Were you mobilized for war? I'm pretty sure that mobilizing cuts your culture production in half.
Old November 16, 2002, 20:45   #11
Killerdaffy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by BRC
Were you mobilized for war? I'm pretty sure that mobilizing cuts your culture production in half.
Makes sense but funny that I never noticed. And that after taking nearly all AU classes and playing the game for a year.
Old November 16, 2002, 21:50   #12
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Killerdaffy

Makes sense but funny that I never noticed. And that after taking nearly all AU classes and playing the game for a year.
I've seen very little about mobilization in the AU threads, so my impression is that most of us usually have too many non-military things we want to build in our less developed cities to use it. It's handy in certain types of situations, though.

Nathan
Old November 17, 2002, 00:06   #13
Killerdaffy
Warlord

I use it regularly, especially when I know that a war is going to be short (or I have a AI OCC punching bag handy... ). In terms of military production its another GA. I never noticed the culture effect but in certain games this could be significant.
Old November 17, 2002, 00:10   #14
ducki
King

I've never used it either, and I'm with Nathan in that I've usually got non-military stuff I'm trying to catch up on.

I'd probably be tempted to use it, though, if I were dragged by MPP into a massive worldwide war with a superduper-power and my armies were too small to defend myself.

Or if I got surprise attacked while underdefended. Yeah.
But I like my culture, so now I'd be even more wary of using it.
Old November 17, 2002, 10:55   #15
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 16:00
You Yanks enjoy yourselfs with PtW. I might try AU 105 (which I didn't play the first time around for reasons I can't recall).

I wonder why they don't release the game simultaneously in all countries. Isn't Infogrames French? Why are they holding the game back from their home market?
Old November 17, 2002, 13:19   #16
ducki
King

Translation takes a really long time, especially for games that are specifically built for multi-lingual development(which is a lot of extra up-front development).

So you have to add in translation, retesting, translation fixes, re-retesting, mastering a new gold copy, replication, and THEN distribution.

Not to mention the fact that they have to find another distributor.

Yes, it sucks, but until games are developed with double-byte language translation in the original architecture, you'll continue to see this.
Old November 23, 2002, 16:43   #17
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
OK, I'm about to start... any problems with the killer AI version?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old February 18, 2003, 23:25   #18
nbarclay
Emperor

I figured I'd give this a bump since there's been a bit of talk about it.
Old February 25, 2003, 01:06   #19
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Thanks

E_T