Old August 26, 2003, 00:28   #1
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AU209 DAR6: Everything else
Use this DAR thread to report on everything that happens past DAR5.

Last edited by Dominae; September 2, 2003 at 22:59.
Old September 12, 2003, 04:04   #2
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:04
DAR 6: from ToE to Victory (or Shame)

1730 AD: Flight, Mass production, radio (in 10 turns) and Motorized Transportation: these were the techs our Sages informed us we had to build before a New Age.
The Japs and Otto were at peace (for once!), but the Babs were at war with the Germans and the French, the English with the Otto and Germans. I had a 3-3 tech lead or equivalent techs (electronics vs. Mass Production) with every other civ. And 4’700 gold.
1740 AD: another Dodo for the museum: the English.
1798 AD: the Modern Times (with Fission) and Russia is the first one. Japs at war (again!) with France, Babs with Germany. Going to research Ecology in 12 turns at -130 gold/turn. We can afford it, since our treasury is at 13’500 gold.
1788 AD: The Japs are Dodo. No week of celebration, there is a secret programme running!
1800 AD: researching Synthetic Fibers at -250 gold/turn in 12 turns. Everybody is at peace. We should be worried.
1840 AD: Rocketry in 1 turn. Overall tech parity (but only for this turn!). Some good news: the Germans are at war with the Babs.
1842 AD: the French joined the Germans against the Ottos! Interesting way of committing suicide…
We just discovered that a civ can send military advisers to another one. Do you want proof? Very well: far to the south, near Shimoneski (tha last Japs city the French captured, don’t ask me why) the French would sent a Battleship to bombard an Ottos road, on which are 3 Workers are ready to repair it. Three bombers would then reduce the Battleship to 1 HP and it would limp back to its harbour. Next turn, a new battleship would…. The French did it for at least 15 turns. If this is not proof that the French navy was instructed by German military advisers…
1868 AD: the Apollo Programme is finished. Our spies stole Nuclear Power from the Germans (they were busy elsewhere). It is time for our cities to stop producing useless MA (to replace even more useless MI!) and start working on the Ship components.
1922 AD: end of the game.

MS notes: the easiest part. Just manage your research and the way you exchange/sell the techs.

In general, the first part of this game has been quite frustrating. Playing a non-commercial AND a non-industrious civ is a real pain for me.
Wonders: just to be on the safe side, I just built ToE and Hoover Dam. I didn’t bother to collect the rest from the other civs. I played it safe…
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1922ad.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	53071  
Old September 12, 2003, 10:58   #3
Dominae
Emperor

Well done, Mountain Sage, and congratulations on being the first one to finish this beast!

One small note: you seem to have taken very long to Mine the Mountains around the starting area. With so much Food, I was expecting players to crank out Workers and tackle the Mountains in order to get some Shields. Any thoughts on this?

Dominae
Old September 13, 2003, 20:54   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I give.

Clearing the decks for AUSG101, I suppose.

I am just waaaaay too far behind. I'm about to complete Steam Power, my first industrial tech (missing Republic, Demo, and MT), while the friggin' Babs are working on the UN.

And LOOK at Japan... that is a KAI if I ever saw one.

Next.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	209-1670ad.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	53227  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 14, 2003, 12:00   #5
PeaSoup
Warlord

Local Time: 07:04
Well, I was the first one to post the first 5 DARs for this AU course, but it looks like I'll be the last to post the last DARs since everyone has moved onto AUSG

Anyways, I didn't get a chance to play the game for over 2 weeks.. and I'm gonig to try and finish it in the next day or so.

My game is on diety. I started slow, but I'm moving along pretty well now:

1450AD
Stole Steel from Germans

1455AD
Hoover built, whoop!! my 2nd wonder

1475AD
Traded Electronics to Germany in exchange for Ivory, Rubber 90gpt and 450 gold

Damn Japan has 4 sources of Rubber, and I'm stuck with none.. grrr

1520AD
Germany:
Got Dyes, 134gpt for Radio

England:
Got 43gpt and 263 gold for Radio

1530AD
Researched Combustion

1575AD
England:
Got 228gpt and 1153 gold for Mass Production

Germany:
Got Ivory, Rubber and 800 gold for Mass Production

I'm 3 turns away from being able to build tanks, then I'll be one tech away from the modern ages.

Japan is looking mighty strong and ripe for an invasion, so I plan accordinly:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	peasoup_dar6_02.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	53262  
Old September 14, 2003, 12:12   #6
PeaSoup
Warlord

Japan is 2 techs behind and is lacking Mass Production and Radio, that doesn't give me a lot of time to build up my forces and invade.

my current trade deal with Japan will expire in 8 turns, my plan is to build up enough forces to attack in about 8-15 turns.

What worries me is Japan's large fleet of ironclads. I will enlist the help of Germany and England in a MPP deal to give the Japanese fleet more targets so my coast line doesn't get decimated.

And because Japan's sole source of oil is not conected (I have a unit sitting on it, and will be able to capture the city next to it on the first 2 turns), getting Germany and England to fight Japan will eliminate 2 sources of oil. And since Babs and Japan just finished a long war, I doubt the Babs will trade them oil.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	peasoup_dar6_03.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	53266  
Old September 14, 2003, 12:23   #7
PeaSoup
Warlord

The purpose of the war is to weaken Japan and "liberate" former Ottoman-Carthage cities that Japan has captured.

Dispite Japan's high culture, those cities have not had the chance to grow culturally and should not flip too easily.

However, Japan has the largest army and navy in the world. Currently, they have 144 infantry, 21 cavalry and 35 ironclads. They have roughly 30 cities, and 1 city on the other continent, so that means I'll be facing at most a 91 unit Stack of Doom (TM) consisting of infantry and cavalry.

I'll need my arties to defend my coast line, so I hope to be able to build enough tanks to hold them back..
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	peasoup_dar6_01.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	53269  
Old September 14, 2003, 13:15   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

PS, what are your thoughts on stealing techs? I've never really done it much...

What are acceptable costs, when do you risk failure, are certain techs better to steal then others, etc.?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old September 14, 2003, 14:51   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It cost so much to steal, that you may as well buy, unless it is one they will not sell. The failure rate is high enough, that it is often worth letting them have the money (IMO). I only steal if I must have the tech now and no one will make a deal.
Old September 14, 2003, 15:40   #10
PeaSoup
Warlord

1590AD
Signed MPP with Germany for 180 gold
Signed MPP with England for 25 gold

Japan discovers Mass Production.. ugh!

1595AD
Researched Moterized Transportation, Flight at 100% eta 7 turns

1605AD
Paid Germany 550 gold to continue embargo against Babs, might as well have them hate each other

1620AD
Germany discovers Amphibious War.. umm.. go marines? Japan is still in Monarchy dispite not fighting any more wars. What is the AI thinking?

1630AD
Researched Flight, progressed to next age. Got Rocketry for free, researching Computers at 100% and -230gpt, eta 10 turns

1635AD
Japan aquired/discovered Radio, damn radar towers will slow down my invasion. I've built 35 tanks so far, will have to double that amount before I can declare war.

1655AD
Japan (currently cautious towards me) demanded Moterized Transportation, well.. it's a few turns earlier than I planned (waiting for Computers in 4 turns), but the happiness bonuse and lessened WW is well worth it, so I refused the demand. Into WAR we go!

My well planned MPP pulls Germany and England into the war against Japan.

The AI should value survivability of it's units more than what a city is 'worth'. Instead of sending its first stack of about 30 units towards 4 of my lone cities seperated from the rest of my empire, the AI sent the stack towards the heart of my empire, ending the turn on grasslands and plains. Target pratice for my tanks and great chance to get some elites. Thanks!

Dispite having 55 tanks, my army is still average compared to that of Japan's

Russian forces not shown in screen shot:
29 Medieval Infantry

Japanese forces not shown in screen shot:
35 Irconclad
9 Bomber
10 Guerilla

well, it's time to kick some ass!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	peasoup_dar6_04.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	53288  

Last edited by PeaSoup; September 14, 2003 at 17:48.
Old September 14, 2003, 16:00   #11
Theseus
Emperor

Go get'em, PS!!

Old September 14, 2003, 17:06   #12
PeaSoup
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
It cost so much to steal, that you may as well buy, unless it is one they will not sell. The failure rate is high enough, that it is often worth letting them have the money (IMO). I only steal if I must have the tech now and no one will make a deal.
I have a different look towards stealing techs.

There's no sense in stealing ancient techs since the research costs are pretty low, but stealing middle and industrial age techs can often put you back to parity.

I rarely research the ancient techs myself, instead I use a single scientist and buy widespread techs. Most players will use the extra gold to upgrade units for a rush of some sorts, but the starting terrain in this AU course was so poor for production, I decided to spend my gold somewhere else..

Perhaps stealing suits my playing style better since I hate giving the AI any sort of advantage. Gold to them will go towards research, rushing, trading or alliances and none of those will help me achieve victory. If an AI is backwards and small, I'd want to keep them that way since they'll never be able to contribute much in trades. If an AI is more powerful or on par with me, then more gold will just make them stronger.

Of course stealing techs is not my first choice of strategy, but for this AU course, I was facing an unbeatable enemy in Carthage (ok, so I didn't bother fighting them, but they had well established cities (on grasslands.. grr), and doubled their size by defeating the Ottomans.

So what was I to do? Well, aquire gold related techs and build gold producing improvements only. Even though Russia is scientific, I didn't bother building libraries and universities till I did my own research. So the gold saved from having to maintain scientific buildings plus the small upkeep required to maintain a very small military meant lots of gold saved up. Being a stingy trader also helps get that extra gpt.

I haven't actually done the math, but provided that you succeed on your first attempt at stealing on 'safely', it is often cheaper than if you were to purchase the tech from the AI. I'd say the success rate on safely is around 65%-75%, and I've only seen the AI declare war once when I failed to steal on safely.

Of course, stealing techs is based on luck, but you have to know when to steal and who to steal from. A hostile AI that lives next door? Don't bother. And sometimes when I'm really bold, I would steal a tech 'immediately'. I would rate the success rate on immediately at around 15%-25%, and war declarations depending on who you've stolen from.

Having played Civ3 for so long, I guess it's possible to kinda perdict AI behaviour and outcomes.. I donno, call it a 6th sense if you will..

And of course the first thing I do after stealing a tech is see if I can trade it around for more gpt. Using the amount of gold the AI was asking for before I stole the tech, factor in AI bonus and the trade bonus, I can figure out how much the tech is worth to the AI and try and get as much gold as I can by umm.. (whisper) talking with each and every civ each single turn..

There are some other little things I did in this game to make sure I had cash flowing in to found my thieving ways, such as making sure that I had something else to trade to the AI when the current incoming gpt deal runs out.. well.. checking deals every single turn helped with that

And in this game, the AI fought each other constantly and ignored me for 5000 years which allowed me to play this way. Otherwise my civ would've been crushed in a matter of a few turns. When they noticed me, it was too late since I had already pulled ahead with TOE.

Damnit, look at my culture... shouldn't gold worshipping count towards something?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	peasoup_dar6_05.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	53295  
Old September 14, 2003, 17:57   #13
vmxa1
Deity

PeaSoup I agree that no strategy works in all cases and we must be willing to adapt. I will steal at times, but not very often. The exact reason you gave. I hate to give them money and I hate to throw money away, if the steal fails. I find middle age techs are the easiest to steal, as you do not have to use spies. After spies, it is much harder to steal and cost a lot more. Since by them I am usually not behind or at least not far, I do not steal. Now like you say in a tough spot, all bets are off. I will be looking for any method, that I can to get back in the game.
Old September 15, 2003, 07:00   #14
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
Well done, Mountain Sage, and congratulations on being the first one to finish this beast!

One small note: you seem to have taken very long to Mine the Mountains around the starting area. With so much Food, I was expecting players to crank out Workers and tackle the Mountains in order to get some Shields. Any thoughts on this?

Dominae
This is what I wanted do do in the beginning, but then it was 2 workers busy for 18 turns+6 vs. 1 settler. I wanted to grab as much land as possible since Carthage was expanding in my direction. At the end I build 1 worker/city. This is why I mined the desert first, then the mountains and irrigated the desert over the mines later. Non-industrious workers are a real pain.
Old September 15, 2003, 10:20   #15
Dominae
Emperor

Build more Workers.

Dominae
Old September 15, 2003, 12:20   #16
PeaSoup
Warlord

1660AD
Captured Istanbul (Pyrmids), Bursa, Edrine and Iznik from Japan

Took care of Japan's first stack of attackers without any problems

Because of the MPP with Germany and England (ends in 6 turns), both countries now no longer have Wines, Silks and Gems. Signed embargos against Japan with both. England is also lacking coal which Germany cannot provide. Will have to work out new deals when current trade deals expire in 3 turns.

1665AD
Generated my 4th leader, Lenin. I don't have any wonders to rush, and my palace jump target city is still in Japanese territory, so I created an army instead.

AI stacks are getting smaller already.

War is going well for me, especially when the AI does not even try to punch through my single unit defensive line to get to hills and mountains. I guess AI units like to rest on flat surfaces better..
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	peasoup_dar01.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	53336  
Old September 16, 2003, 06:51   #17
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Build more Workers.
Dominae
Well, yes, but in this case pop-wise 2 workers=1 settler, and I hade the feeling I needed more lebensraum.
Old September 16, 2003, 10:37   #18
Dominae
Emperor

But you did stop expanding at one point?

Enter: Workers.

Dominae
Old September 17, 2003, 15:04   #19
PeaSoup
Warlord

1665AD
Looks like Germany or England will discover Moterized Transportation soon, so I decided to do some trading.

Germany:
Got 33gpt and 429 gold for Moterized Transportation
Germany got Computers for free, which brings my own research down from 3 turns to 1 turn

England:
Got 510 gold for Coal
Got Dyes and 30 gold for Wines, Silks and Gems
Got 1461 gold for Moterized Transportation

1670AD
Researched Computers, researching Ecology eta 10 turns. Upgraded 34 Infantry to MI before the turn started so I can use them right away.

My army is now strong compared to Japan's; however, they managed to build 4 tanks. I have to take out their oil source right away.

1675AD
Babs signed an alliance with Japan against Germany. This'll be the end of the Babylon empire

Captured Carthage (Sun Tzu's), Konya and Rusicade

1680AD
Got my 5th leader, Trotsky. He will be used for the palace jump

Captured Antalya, WW is starting to settle in

1685AD
Captured Utica, I now have access to spices

1690AD
Captured Matsuyama and Carhago Novo

1695AD
Captured Hadrumetum and Nora

1710AD
Germany demanded Spices and I called their bluff

Captured Cadiz

WW is getting out of hand now, signed peace with Japan for 37 gold and 146 gpt, I guess they were really hurting after losing so many cities and denied access to Oil, Rubber, and finally Saltpeter

1720AD
Captured Nineveh (JS Bach's) from Babs, too bad I won't get the wonder bonus on my home continent.. but worse for the Babs to lose the city!

I now have my own source of Incense

1740AD
Nineveh flipped back to Babs, but I anticipated this and stationed troops outside to retake the city. Babs have 3x the culture, but it's worth the trouble for the Incense

1756AD
Traded with Germany:
Got Amphibious War, Ivory, Dyes, 1278 gold and 422 gpt for Rocketry

England:
Got 730 gold and 31gpt for Coal, Wines, Spices, Silks and Gems

Babylon:
Signed peace with Babylon and got 7 workers in exchange for ROP, 80 gold, world map, and not kicking their butts

I don't care much for the Babs, but I don't want Germany taking over more of their land, I traded them Motorized Transportation and Radio in exchange for 7 workers, 252 gold and 44 gpt

and to stop German advances, I formed a line to block German units from getting to the Babylon cities worth saving

No Germans beyond this point:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	pea_asdf.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	53464  
Old September 19, 2003, 04:42   #20
PeaSoup
Warlord

1764AD
Researched Synthetic Fibers, starting Space Flight, eta 8 turns
Gifted Flight to Babylon, they got Computers for free

1770AD
Used my GL to move my palace to Konya

1776AD
20 turns of peace with Japan is over, they were interested in extending peace.. but I was not. Japan still lacks oil and rubber, and I have a healthly supply of MA. It's time to take another chunk out of the Japanese empire

1778AD
England signed peace with Babylon, well.. they've been fighting since the 1200's
Germany signed peace with Japan

Got my 6th GL, not much use for him. Probably use him to rush the pentagon or spaceship parts

Captured Leptis Minor and Theveste

1780AD
Researched Space Flight, Satellites in 7 turns
Germany discovered Fission and is building both the UN and Manhattan

Captured Satsuma

1782AD
Razed the Japanese city built on the 1-tile island

1784AD
Captured 2 more Japanese cities and razed 1

Gifted Horses, Iron, Saltpeter, Incense and Spices to Babs

1786AD
Germany declares war against England!! Bismarck will probably come after me next.
Gifted Computers and Saltpeter to England. Lizzie has 1350 gold, hopefully she'll upgrade to some MI soon
Captured 1 Japanese city and razed Koyto

1788AD
Captured Tokyo and Sistine's

1790AD
Captured 2 more Japanese cities and razed 1, 1 more left

1792AD
Eliminated Japan, Russia now controls the entire eastern continent

1794-1836AD
Too lazy to write detailed DARs, basically, Germany reduced England to 4 cities. My wall of units worked and protected all but 1 Babylon cities from German advances.

After 800 years of constant war, the world is finally at peace!

Spaceship launched at 1836AD!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	pea.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	53547  
Old September 19, 2003, 11:28   #21
Dominae
Emperor

Very very nice, PeaSoup. Quite late for a SS launch on Deity, but hey, this was supposed to be a tough game.

Dominae
Old September 19, 2003, 11:52   #22
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Congratulation PeaSoup. You're one of the the few and the proud to complete AU209. I keep meaning to restart this game to get beyond the place where the Ottomans Sipahi-Stomped me, but I haven't been able to yet.
Old September 19, 2003, 12:23   #23
PeaSoup
Warlord

Quote:
Very very nice, PeaSoup. Quite late for a SS launch on Deity, but hey, this was supposed to be a tough game.
The world had been at war (by my design ) ever since 1150AD. Shortly after, the AI civs all changed to gold-poor, wartime governments. They never switched back to demo or republic... and I didn't bother trading away techs unless the AI can afford my price..
Old September 19, 2003, 16:25   #24
vmxa1
Deity

Yes thanks for the report and holding up University.
Old September 19, 2003, 18:29   #25
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
But you did stop expanding at one point?

Enter: Workers.

Dominae
Ooops! late reply.
Yes, I was not playing at Warlord...
That's when I started building more workers, and re-arrange the landscape (again)
Old September 20, 2003, 11:21   #26
Tall Stranger
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
Warlord

Man I'm ticked off. I spent a lot of time last night drafting my next DAR, and I somehow managed to lose it. My effort to recreate it follows.

At the end of my last post, the year was 1575 and I had just completed ToE and was one turn from Hoover. I was beating up on the Japanese, seeking to destroy their power and get them to give me the one square island city of Yokohama.

1580 Hoover built in Carthage.

1585 Begin artillery bombardment of Kyoto.

1600 Kyoto falls.

1605 Peace with Japan. I'm pleased to get not just Yokohama, but also Izumo, a worker 117 gold and 3 gpt. Japan is no longer a meaningful power, down to 2 measly cities.

At this point, I considered going north again and starting a war with the Ottomans, but I decided against it. I had been fighting virtually non-stop wars with Japan and the Ottomans since 920 AD. (I probably had all of about 5-6 turns of actual peace during that time.) All that war had caused me to delay infrastructure, and my road network and city buildings were not where they needed to be for the next big push. Therefore, I decided to spend some time reconstructing, and make the next big war sometime after Motorized Transport.

1655 Complete research on Refining, and discover to my glee that the Ottomans have no oil. No tanks for Osman!

1735 Ottomans and Germans sign an MPP, which is not good news for me. War with the Otts is coming, and I wanted to stay on Bismarck's good side until I had control of this continent. Oh well, no going back now. Same turn, the MPP is triggered, and Ottomans go to war with Babylon. At least Osman will waste a lot of time sending troops over there; fewer I have to kill.

1745 Complete research on Motorized Transport and start cranking out tanks.

1752 Germans demand Motorized Transport. Since war with them is coming anyway, I refuse and he declares. Not a big deal, since he has his hands full with the Babs. In fact, we never fought a single battle.

1764 I enter the modern age, getting Ecology as my tech. It doesn't really matter, since I lead the tech race now. (All those inter-AI wars have really slowed down their researching.) I also declare war on Ottomans, and start moving my troops forward. Assault force consists of about 20 tanks, 5 infantry and about 8 artillery.

In the Ottoman counterattack, a valiant solitary elite infantry unit repelled two brutal Sipahi attacks and generates Trotsky. Tall Stranger smiles. Unit is attacked by another Sipahi and dies bravely, ending Trotsky's brief lifespan. Tall Stranger weeps.

My initial goal for this war was simple: the complete destruction of the Ottoman race. The complicating factor was that I could not seize Istanbul until after I completed the UN, as it held the Pyramids. This forced me to go after all the cities around Istanbul, and made life a bit more challenging. As you'll see below, my strategy changed based on an unexpected event.

1768 Seize the city of Konya, and surge the 12 healthy tanks to the mountains near Edrine (see map below). In my attack on Konya, Marshall Zukhov is created. Great, now I don't have to waste any of Carthage's production on the UN.

1770 I am appalled to see the first Ottoman tanks. That scumball Bismark must be selling it to him. I shall not forget this outrage.

1772 Edrine falls, cutting off one of the Ottomans' two sources of rubber. Begin surging towards Bursa, the other Ott source of rubber, and Adana.

1776 I seize Adana. After my turn, the Ottomans conduct a surprisingly meaningful landing of about 10 infantry, 3 guerillas and 2 sipahi far to my south, near Tokyo. Fortunately, I still have enough infantry to garrison in the 3 cities at risk, a good number of artillery I can redirect to the area and 4 tanks which will be completed next turn. The forces are destroyed by 1778.

1778 Bursa falls and I gain Sistine's.

1784 Uskudar falls.

1786 Research of Fisson is complete, and I use Zukhov to rush the UN. Forces are poised near Istanbul and on the island to seize Kafa.

1788 Well, one out of two ain't bad. Istanbul falls, but I fail to seize Kafa, which is now the Ottoman capital.

As I look around the map, however, I discover something I hadn't noticed before. Osman has somehow managed, during the war with me, to seize two Babylonian cities on the other continent. A new, much better idea hits me. Rather than eliminate Osman NOW, I will seize Kafa (driving his capital far away and thus making culture flipping unlikely) and demand the other city on the continent for peace.

1798 Finally get overwhelming force onto the island, and Kafa falls. I cut a peace deal with Osman, gaining the town of Nippur and 235 gold. I also make peace with Germany, getting 3 gold and 2 gpt.

1804 I rush build a airport in Nippur, planning to use it as my base of operations in the new world.

My plans for the future: It's now time to destroy the Japanese. Osaka has Sun Tzu's, and they're down to two cities anyway. Taking a short breather, then Tokugawa is history. I'll then wait until the peace treaty is over before destroying Osman. Now that I have a foothold on this continent, this game is basically over. I've got 3 modern techs already, and the rest haven't even entered the modern era. The only question is whether I want to attack the Babylonians (easier) or the Germans (more satisfying). We'll see.

The map below is from my current save (1812) and shows the old Ottoman lands. It should give you a sense of how the campaign went.
Old September 20, 2003, 11:23   #27
Tall Stranger
Warlord

Let's try this with the map attached, shall we?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ottoman lands.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	53614  
Old September 20, 2003, 14:46   #28
vmxa1
Deity

Sorry you had to redo it, but it looks good. I do a copy in the browser before it submit. Then if it fails I can slap the thing into a notepad to try later.
Old September 21, 2003, 21:59   #29
Tall Stranger
Warlord

OK, here's the final segment of my AU story.

1820 My peace treaty with Japan expired, so I resumed my war with them, seeking to take their final two cities.

1822 Osaka falls, and I finally get Sun Tzu's. After my turn is done, I see a couple of Babylonian cities fall. I know the Germans must have recently (finally) discovered Motorized Transport, and their panzers are kicking in.

1824 Kagoshima falls, and Japan is no more.

1828 By this time, the Germans are coming very close to overrunning the Babs. Looks like I'll need to fight them to finish the game off. Looking forward to slapping Germany around. To prepare, I give Flight to the Babs, and get an ROP and 81 gold.

1834 I begin moving MI over to Nippur.

1838 After my turn, Bismarck seeks to renew our peace treaty. I consider agreeing and then stabbing him in the back, but what's the point? I have 5 MI and a couple of infantry in Nippur. Let him take his best shot, since it will be the only one he gets. His panzers take out 2 MI, but take horrific losses.

1842 I seize the ciities of Ur, Babylon and Kish (see attached maps if you want to follow along). After my turn, the Germans start using Ottoman territory to attack me. I'll not tolerate that, and I'm itching to destroy Osman once and for all.

1844 I take Lagash, Izibia and Larsa.

1846 After massing troops just outside Ottoman territory, I declare war on him and take Ellipi and Ankara, eliminating him from the game. (I love MA!) I also take the cities of Norwich, Samara and Nimrud from the Germans.

1848 The cities of Tours, Liverpool, Dover and Stuttgart join the Russian empire.

1850 The city of Kish flips to the Babylonians. Fortunately, I hadn't stationed anything there, so no real harm is done. To make myself feel better, I seize Paris, Lyons and Oxford.

1852 Terrain is becoming a hassle and some of my units need to heal, so I only seize Warwick this turn.

1854 Cologne, Hannover, London and Newcastle all fall.

1856 Orleans and York are mine.

1858 Domination victory.

Overall comments: Great game design, Dominae. Good mix of challenging civs. I was more fortunate than some of the other players who've posted here. Germany didn't sieze most of the continent early (as it did with some players), and the AI was almost constantly at war with one another, making the tech race pretty easy to win. By the late industrial, I was signifcantly ahead in tech. Getting Nippur on the other continent was also a boon, as it made an annoying naval buildup unnecessary. Nothing like being able to upgrade 30+ tanks to MA, and the next turn be able to airlift more than half of them to Nippur!

The screenshots below show the layout of the second continent at the end of the game, plus my victory screen. (Can someone tell me how to attach more than one file to the posting? It won't seem to let me use CTRL-click to add multiple files.)

Thanks to one and all for using my suggestion as an AU game. I sincerely hope that everyone who played it found it fun, interesting and a real challenge. I know I did.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	continent 1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	53743  
Old September 21, 2003, 22:01   #30
Tall Stranger
Warlord