Old September 17, 2003, 21:54   #1
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 07:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Apolyton University Strategy Guide
Hello everyone There has been an idea of a AU Strategy Guide. And I personally think it's a great idea. I think if the whole AU community comes together will all our different skills I believe we can make the ultimate strategy guide . The idea of this is to assign editors to each section of the guide. And all types of editing will be needed so everyone can contribute something. This thread is basicly for brain storming only.
Old September 17, 2003, 22:33   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

There are already some great threads going right now authored by Vulture and Dexters that have information that would go great in an AU strategy guide. I'd say those are the two places to start with.

Another thing I just thought of. Maybe someone should contact Vel and see how far he got with the strategy guide he was writing way back when. It's probably a bit out of date, but it's another good place to start if he will let us use it.
Old September 18, 2003, 07:47   #3
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:07
as you know, I'm all for it. In fact, I already have assembled lots of stuff about the early game, strategies, level of play etc. out of the best threads.
Unfortunately, since English (or American!) is not my mother tongue, I have some difficulty in putting all he things together, especially that the 'raw materials' are written in lots of different personal styles.
Therefore, if people are willing to put the material in 'flowing English', I will gladly send what I have pasted together from different threads to them.
So far:
Early game strategies (25 short chapters). Vulture's is far better.
Rexing
The care, feeding and... (to be inserted in the strategy chapter).
The Rogue State Strategy (same).
Small is Beatiful Strategy.
Ultimate Power (incl. PUP).
defending your opponent to death (strategy).
Overcoming parity in the Middle Ages.
the importance of geography.
Playing on huge maps.
The industrial Age.
Strategy for Emperor-Deity games.
13 tips for Emperor games.
Strategy for Deity games.
OCC games
OCC on Emperor-Deity.
Changes in PTW.
AI mechanics.

Help yourselves.
Old September 18, 2003, 20:49   #4
Tassadar500
Emperor

I think we should first discuss the different topics. Anyone have any ideas?
Old September 20, 2003, 00:33   #5
Tassadar500
Emperor

Hello? Anyone here?
Old September 20, 2003, 01:27   #6
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

My first suggestion would be to get the early game chapters going. This is where the game is truly won or lost and if you have a good opening game you'll often have a good game. Vulture's thread, and whatever MS has would be good places to start with. Plus there is a wealth of information in Theseus's links thread...especially Winning Early thread. There is much in those linked threads that is directly applicable to writing a strategy guide. It just needs to be distilled down into it's essence without all the extra stuff in the posts.

After that I would think that Overcoming Parity in the Middle Ages, The Importance of Geography, and AI Mechanics are good places to continue with.
Old September 20, 2003, 10:21   #7
Tassadar500
Emperor

I also think there should be something on City Placements.
Old September 20, 2003, 14:57   #8
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:07
I agree about the city placement, but does anythign definitive exist. I mean it all seems unresolved so far.
Mabe AUSG101 will clarify it.
Old September 20, 2003, 15:49   #9
Tassadar500
Emperor

vmxa what are you talking about?
Old September 20, 2003, 15:52   #10
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Probably that we have a large range of starts between the three teams including RCP and camp placement. I don't think any one of them can be considered the "best", but they are valid strategies to lead to the endgame.
Old September 20, 2003, 15:57   #11
Tassadar500
Emperor

I just meant like listing different options and how they are best used ect.
Old September 20, 2003, 16:00   #12
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

I would assume that you were both talking about the same thing, just from slightly different angles. AUSG101 will provide some detailed DARs and screenshots on how city placement affects the game since we do have both RCP and camp style games going right now.
Old September 20, 2003, 16:18   #13
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:07
I thinking the chapter would be using one form or the other as the way to go. I was pointing out that there may be some different points of view about city placement and the AU game could point towards one being better than another. If you intend to just cover the main ones with none getting a preference, then "never mind".
Old September 20, 2003, 16:29   #14
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I thinking the chapter would be using one form or the other as the way to go. I was pointing out that there may be some different points of view about city placement and the AU game could point towards one being better than another. If you intend to just cover the main ones with none getting a preference, then "never mind".
Oh. Sorry I guess I did misunderstand what you meant then. I was thinking a write-up of several of the various "styles" of city placement would be a good idea. Something that works for one person might not be the best thing for another. I confess to knowing next to nothing about camp style city placement so to watch what happens with it in AUSG domination team will be something I look forward to in the turn blocks to come. And it would provide material for a good write-up of camp style. As well, the RCP style used in the other games will provide good material for a write up of the merits of that style of city placement.
Old September 23, 2003, 07:24   #15
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
Hello? Anyone here?
NM,
you can check my thread:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=94379

I also put down the basic chapters for the 'Guide'. Let me know what you thing about it.
Old September 23, 2003, 07:29   #16
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhothaerill
My first suggestion would be to get the early game chapters going. This is where the game is truly won or lost and if you have a good opening game you'll often have a good game. Vulture's thread, and whatever MS has would be good places to start with. Plus there is a wealth of information in Theseus's links thread...especially Winning Early thread. There is much in those linked threads that is directly applicable to writing a strategy guide. It just needs to be distilled down into it's essence without all the extra stuff in the posts.

After that I would think that Overcoming Parity in the Middle Ages, The Importance of Geography, and AI Mechanics are good places to continue with.

I already 'cut and pasted' all these threads (in MS Word), but the result still has the individual 'flavor' of the different writers. As I said before, somebody should take this raw material and put it in a better English.
BTW, vulture's document about the early game is a masterpiece. It contains most of the above stuff.
Old September 23, 2003, 08:31   #17
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 15:07
MS - I PMed you about the early game stuff (with my email address). Did you get it?
Old September 23, 2003, 10:59   #18
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
MS - I PMed you about the early game stuff (with my email address). Did you get it?
Nope, could you try it again please, I'll check this this evening.