View Poll Results: Where did you found your city?
Right at the start location (on the Wheat) 6 14.63%
One tile South of the start location 10 24.39%
South-West 1 2.44%
East 12 29.27%
North-East 2 4.88%
North-West 5 12.20%
Some other location (please specify) 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 11, 2003, 20:56   #1
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AU302: One City - Strategy, Spoilers and Comments
Post your results for the One City scenario here.

If you have the patience, keeping a log of your actions during the game and posting it here would be nice addition. You're not doing much during your turns, so keeping even a detailed log is easy.

By the way, it is possible to win this game via Spaceship (on Emperor); I got close enough to know that it can be done (and that was enough for me!).

Dominae

Last edited by Dominae; April 11, 2003 at 21:32.
Old April 12, 2003, 12:35   #2
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 15:08
SPOILER - Don't read this until you have explored a bit

I have certainly enjoyed this so far - it is a challenge (for me at least) not to REX and not to resort to war.

I am playing the PTW 1.14 version at Monarch level.

First issue - which civ. I concluded commercial was useless for one city and industrious not much better since there were only so many tiles to improve. Militaristic didn't offer much so that left religious, scientific and expansionist. I didn't know it was an isolated continent where scouts made no difference so I went for the Babylonians. That turned out to be a good choice as my bowmen easily dealt with the barbarians.

Second choice - where to found Babylon. I went NW to the hill. I decided I did not need to be on the coast but would be better off forgetting about coastal improvements and have 20 land tiles around my city to work. Again it seems to have worked as other civs founded cities and built harbours so I can now trade with everyone.

With the place to myself I got all the goody huts (no need for expansionist). I researched warrior code and then beelined literature for the Great Library. I managed early contact with the Koreans as a Bowman spotted a city of theirs just to the south of the starting continent. They sold contact with me to the Indians and I was behind on tech. I completed the GL in 90BC and still sold literature to the Koreans and Indians. Eventually the other three civs made contact and my free research proceeded nicely - except that they all went for education rather that gunpowder so my free ride on research came to an early end.

I was able to get the furs early and the Indians have not expanded Karachi yet to take one - I should keep the other and both iron permanently. I had a colony exploiting ivory (I can't remember ever building a colony before!) but the Koreans built a city and squeezed me off all the ivory.

As the picture shows I am slowly using surplus workers to build outposts around my border to stop units from civs I am not at war with wandering across my land. Maintaining ROP's proved too expensive.

The main bonus (I hope!) of my city location is that if there is any coal around I will get it and build Ironworks (please!)

After losing the GL I fell behind on tech again but was able to catch up by trading Printing Press and have just (990AD) finished Copernicus. I managed the Hanging Gardens on the way as the AI's were slow to build it.

Things are going quite nicely as the AI's are fairly peaceful. I hope to research Democracy first and trade for the techs they have and I don't. The only problem so far is that I didn't get a religious GW so I won't get a GA in this game unless I build the Internet.

It is also interesting to consider the wonders, both great and small, that you can't build or are pointless with only one city
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	au302 - 1000ad.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	42300  
Old April 12, 2003, 12:39   #3
BigDork
Prince

Local Time: 14:08
Hi everybody...

Well since I had to stay up for a few hours after work this morning I decided to download the game and fire it up. I'm playing the second edition AU302 with the AU mod on regent. I decided to play as the mighty Ottomans. I figured a lot of people were gonna be Babys or Greeks and I wanted to give someone else a try.

Well it's been a kind of intersting game I guess. I'm kinda coming to the conclusion I don't like OCC but I'll probably give it another go or two seeing as how it is so quick. I've played for maybe 3 hours and am almost to 1800AD. Oh yeah, and I turned off domination victory. Probably a good thing too the English will probably get close to it if the ever mount an overseas invasion.

I started out by building the city right where we started. I considered moving to the hill to the NW and probably will next time but decided against it this game. I quickly started kicking out some warriors to explore what's around me. I definatly didn't get much luck on the huts.
1)Barbs
2)Barbs
3)Settler
4)Map
5)Pottery

Obviously I just integrated the settler into my city. But I was still surprised to see just how fast my city grew. Both with the land around the city and the fact that I wasn't churning out settlers as fast as possible.

I actually ended up making colonies on the ivory and the fur not wanting to wait until my borders encompass it. But soon enough I had them.

I was also surprised to see how quickly I ran out of stuff to build. Even while grabbing wonders. I used the Pyramid as a pre-build for the GL and actually timed it well. One turn after I got lit I had the GL built. Off the top of my head I've also built the Oracle, Newton's, Sun Tzu, Hoover, ToE, Universal Sufferage.

The Koreans pissed me off early on. The put a city one east of the furs and after long their cultural borders took the other one too. But other than that they have been pretty good neighbors. There was a small misunderstanding that occured not too long ago but I'll go into that later.

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old April 12, 2003, 12:53   #4
BigDork
Prince

I've come to the conclusion that I suck at being a tech broker. It just doesnt' suit my playing style. It took a while to get used to checking the diplo screen every turn. And I don't know if this happens a lot but in my game it seems like at least two civs are getting the techs at the same time. And everyone else is broke so I can't buy a tech and then sell it. This is making it hard to keep up. I'm think I would try going for a domination victory once I got tanks but seeing as how I turned that off it isn't gonna happen.

England is kicking major butt. They killed off the Celts and are pushing the back the Romans. As I said earlier if they can actually cross the seas and get a foothold they will definatly be kicking some butt. Hey, can I conquer a city and then quickly give it to the English so that way they'd have that foothold? No, didn't think so.

My little misunderstanding with the Koreans happened during a war between them and India. With almost every war that's happened so far I've been asked if I want to join. Obviously I always decline. Well Ghandi send over a message asking if I want in on their side against Wang and I accidentally clicked yes.

Well I made a mistake but I must go on. So I sent my three siphai I had over to that damned city Wang had built next to the fur. It was a perfect opertunity to get back what's mine. Well it didn't go so good. I killed one rifleman but went into the red and used my last movement point to get away from the city. My other veteran siphai was defeated by a conscript rifleman. WtF?!? Anyway I built up a few more and took out the city. By now India has made peace and I'm in the clear to do the same. Unfortunatly Wang was broke and only had cities to give. Well that doesn't do me any good.

I'm getting screwed on techs. I can't tech broker because only Lizzy is being a b-i-t-c-h. She is asking way too much for the techs and everyone else is broke as hell so it wouldn't do me any good. So I'm trying to research the techs the AI isn't going after first in hopes to do some trading of my own. I really wish I could kick some ass with tanks. Oh well.

So that's about where I am. It's a race to get tanks right now. I'm not to thrilled with OCC but it makes for a quick game. I've never been this far along in techs so early in the game. Also it's only been 3 hours and probably only need another hour or so. I doubt I'm gonna win but will try again. I so hate to lose. I'll let you all know how it ends.

BigD

Old April 12, 2003, 13:09   #5
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
I doubt I'm gonna win but will try again. I so hate to lose. I'll let you all know how it ends.
This will probably be a humbling experience for people not used to OCC. Try not to let it get you down.

Dominae
Old April 12, 2003, 15:46   #6
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

My first AU game!!

Here's sort of a log of what I've been doing up till now:

Playing on regent.

I chose the Carthaginians to play in this game. One big reason is that I imagine the city will get pretty big, and the commercial/industrious combo should be good for extra trade/shield. Also, I won't have to upgrade to pikemen in the early middle ages.

Built a city on the starting tile.
Starting tech = bronze working.
Moved worker to grassland and mined then roaded.
Sent first exploration warrior south; found coast; went west. First goody hut = 25g
Next worked tile is shielded grassland 77 from city. Mine than road.
Second warrior goes east; finds coast, then goes north.
Third warrior stays in Carthage; start prebuild for temple.
Next tech is Ceremonial burial - I want to get lots of culture so that I can get those luxuries just outside the city radius.
Third worked tile is 69 from Carthage; last river grassland.
Two more huts popped; empty + barbs.

So... I see we are on a peninsula... aha!!! I decide that I'm going to go for literature and the great library. Writing in 23 turns. Next worker move is irrigation on flood plains. Next build is a Numidian Mercenary; I'm going to disband the defensive warrior so that I don't spend any gold on unit maintenance. After the Mercenary, I start on pyramids, a prebuild for the GL.

Worker: builds road to an ivory then mined 99 grassland of city.
Another 2 villiages; 25 gold and deserted.
Finally, 2110bc; the culture finally expands and Ivory makes my city happy . Building a road to furs currently.

1950bc: I make contact with the Koreans, who build a city across the small straight to my continent. I trade masonry + 35 gold for warrior code and pottery. By this time, my city is pop 6.

1725bc: I make contact with the Indians, who want to trade Iron working for Writing. I decide not; because I am only a few turns away from the Great Library. I note that they only have 2 cities, while the Koreans have 3.

1550bc: I get literature. 9 turns until Great Library. Research goal is mysticism, but I set research all the way back to 10%. I'm going to be really mad if any AI gets GLib before me!!

1400bc: I don't have much to say, except that I think I should have moved my capital next to the ocean. Going 2 from the start spot would probably have been good.

1325bc: I complete the Great Library, giving me Iron working and the wheel. I start building the pyramids again, a prebuild for the Oracle. I pump up research just enough to give me the Oracle just after I get mysticism.

950bc: I get mysticism; 7 turns until the Oracle. Boy, you can build alot when youre not building settlers!!

850bc: Map Making from the GL. I'm running into quite a few barbarians now.

825bc: Trade Indians world maps. 1 Turn until Oracle.

775bc: I'm building a swordsman because my warriors can't seem to handle the volume of barbarians. I'm not positive if a barracks would be a good investment, so I might just replace my warriors eventually with better units. After swordsman, I'm going to start prebuilding the hanging gardens.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old April 12, 2003, 16:16   #7
BigDork
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
My first AU game!!
Welcome to the club.

Quote:
950bc: I get mysticism; 7 turns until the Oracle. Boy, you can build alot when youre not building settlers!!
I have to agree. I was also surprised to find just how quickly you ran out of stuff to build, including wonders.

Quote:
775bc: I'm building a swordsman because my warriors can't seem to handle the volume of barbarians. I'm not positive if a barracks would be a good investment, so I might just replace my warriors eventually with better units. After swordsman, I'm going to start prebuilding the hanging gardens
I too found that there were a lot of barbs running around. Popping them out of two huts didn't help. Dom, what level you got the barbs on?

BigD

Old April 12, 2003, 16:26   #8
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
I too found that there were a lot of barbs running around. Popping them out of two huts didn't help. Dom, what level you got the barbs on?
I'm quite certain Barbs are on Roaming. It feels like there's more of them because: 1) the landmass around your capital is not being claimed as fast as in normal games, because you're not expanding and the AIs need Galleys to get to it, 2) you're not building as many military units as you normally would.

Keep up the good work, Panzer32 (and BigD)!

Dominae
Old April 12, 2003, 16:49   #9
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 15:08
I certainly didn't find the barbarians a problem but I did build a barracks early and replace my initial warriors with vet bowmen.

I have lost this game. It went fine up to the early industrial. I managed to add Shakespeare to my list of GW's. I was spending a lot of time producing wealth when I had nothing to build.

Steampower showed up the coal and I built Ironworks - thank you Dominae!

Suddenly I just dropped right out of the tech loop as the AI's shot ahead. I actually built US although I was way behind the AI's in starting it but with a factory, ironworks and coal plant I could build it in 9 turns.

The Celts went down to the English so there are 4 AI's left. I know I am not going to win as I am only two-thirds of the way through the Industrial era whilst the Koreans have built the UN and are busy overrunning the Indians using MA. I can't buy techs from anyone so I am simply researching at 100% (and still in surplus!!!) but it is slow going. I may play this through to see if I can survive to the end.

It has certainly been interesting but I think I don't really like OCC - once you fall behind a little bit you are just about finished. I might try a 5CC on a small map where some war is viable or it would be easier to keep up with the AI's.

Thanks for setting this up Dom, it has been well worth playing.
Old April 12, 2003, 16:59   #10
BigDork
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
Suddenly I just dropped right out of the tech loop as the AI's shot ahead. I actually built US although I was way behind the AI's in starting it but with a factory, ironworks and coal plant I could build it in 9 turns.
Some thing happened to me. And my guess is it's only gonna get worse. I'm hoping to get the UN first and force a vote but with the Koreans furious with me after our accidental war I don't know if I'll win. Here's hoping anyways.

Quote:
once you fall behind a little bit you are just about finished.

Thanks for setting this up Dom, it has been well worth playing.
I agree and I agree. Dom, you're awsome, and a little evil.

BigD

Old April 12, 2003, 17:40   #11
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

530bc: I'm going to build the pyramids before I get monarchy, so I waste 29 shields to build a library. Then I'll build the hanging gardens. Barbarian hunting is netting alot of gold; 372 right now.

510bc: I get philosophy from the GL. I'm beginning to like the great library now!

350bc: First foreign units on my island. Korean warrior and settler combo found on souther peninsula. 11 Turns till monarchy.

250bc: Code of laws from GL.

130bc: I get monarchy. I chose to leave switching for a couple of turns, until the hanging gardens is built. Researching mathematics at only 10%.

90bc: Hanging gardens built. I decide to build a granary... nothing else to build, and maybe I can get a big city sooner (currently size 10).

50bc: Revolution. Change into monarchy. I decide to research at full steam, heading for construction. I want a colleseum!! I also just noticed an Indian city at the chokepoint for the southern peninsula of the island. Treasury at 522 gold.

70ad: Granary done; barracks to be built before colleseum, since it is 16 turns until construction. Wealth afterwards until colleseum prebuild can begin.

130ad: I trade Indians worker for worker (along with other stuff) so I can have less unit upkeep; and most of the tiles are already improved.

270ad: I establish embassies (forgot to earlier), and find out the Koreans and the Indians are at war. I don't know how long this has been going on for.

310ad: Get construction; currency at 10%. 4 Turns until colleseum. I will build another mercenary after that, and then I'll just go for wealth until some oppertunity presents itself.

380ad: Koreans and Indians make peace. No power shift - they're pretty evenly ballenced.

400ad: Republic from GL. Another revolution. Just a question: I've got GL, and know of 2 civs that have HBR, but I'm not getting it (later note: I got it in 580ad). Does anyone know why?

740ad: Finish currency; go into middle ages. Researching monotheism (18 turns). There is now 3 Korean cities and 2 Indian cities on the island.

870ad: Have bought monotheism and built marketplace. 7 turns until theology; prebuilding Sistine chapel.

960ad: Got Feudalism from GL. Researching printing press at 10% (Hope to extend GL life some )

1140ad: Built Sistine Chapel. Now going for cathedral; 23 turns till PP.

1150ad: Koreans built Leo's workshop. I think they switched when I got Sistine last turn, so I got Sistine by one turn!!

1220ad: Done cathedral; now there's no unhappy people in the city. Maybe in my other games, maybe I'm underestimating the power of Sistine! Building a courthouse, and then wealth. I want to go for democracy quickly.

1255ad: I get Chivalry from the GL. I hope to get Engineering as the last GL tech soon.

Thats it for now...
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old April 12, 2003, 17:40   #12
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 16:08
This is my first AU. Being an old Civ2 OCC veteran I could't resist Now if anyone will write a Civ3 Paulicy...

I didn't keep a detailed log but from the top of my head:

One thing I learned from Civ2 is that you really need your city to be on the coast, so I moved my settler to the hill SW and my worker to the hill north, just to see what the surroundings where like. Right! On the coast, next to a lake and a cattle tile.

Got the GL, Col, Oracle, Gardens, Sist Chapel.

The Indians settled on my continent and declared war Only thing was that they forgot to defend their cities, so after my one legion(!) razed two of their cities they begged for peace.

Right now I'm half way the medieval age, way back in techs, a size 12 city and no clue what to do. There's no way I'll get any of the science wonders

But, playing emperor I'm doing okay I guess
Old April 12, 2003, 18:35   #13
Dominae
Emperor

Great job guys! At least you all tried it, and now you're a better Civ player because of it (I hope!).

Everyone seems to be having the same problem: techs. OCC is all about techs. You need to fight fight fight to get those techs; in the diplomacy screens, you have to become a tech warmonger.

CerberusIV, any strategy comments or things you've learned for this game? I believe you'll find 5CC suits your playstyle more; military endeavours are not really a part of OCC (in my experience).

Dominae
Old April 12, 2003, 18:48   #14
BigDork
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
1220ad: Done cathedral; now there's no unhappy people in the city. Maybe in my other games, maybe I'm underestimating the power of Sistine! Building a courthouse, and then wealth. I want to go for democracy quickly.
Courthouse? Just going ahead and building everything. I think the courthouse is the one thing I haven't built.

BigD

Old April 12, 2003, 19:06   #15
Hueij
Emperor

A Courthouse is the one thing you don't need in OCC

Anyways, I've been focusing on the happines wonders. Size 12 and all happy, with luxuries on 10%. Maybe going after the science wonders would be a better approach.
Old April 12, 2003, 20:15   #16
BigDork
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Hueij
Maybe going after the science wonders would be a better approach.
That was my thought. I did get Newton's University but was beaten to Copernicus. It was built by the English before I even had contact.

BigD

Old April 12, 2003, 20:31   #17
Hueij
Emperor

I just looked at the poll. Am I the only one that founded my city on the hill on the coast SW of the starting position? I thought that having your city on the coast is one of the most important things in an OCC game. When I started I send my worker to the hill north because I thought that would be a better place to found my city and my settler to the hill sw just in case that it would be an even better place. It paid off, but even if not I would have lost at most two turns.

Any thoughts?
Old April 12, 2003, 20:39   #18
BigDork
Prince

I'm thinking of giving domination a try. And if I do I'll probably build my city on the hill you started because without boats it's a no go.

I'm gonna see just how powerful the siphai are. I'm doubtful that I'll actually pull it of but I think it's worth a try.

BigD

Old April 12, 2003, 20:40   #19
BigDork
Prince

Okay, I'm stupid. Can't dominate if you can't build more than one city. I guess it's conquest. That's definatly gonna be hard.

BigD

Old April 12, 2003, 20:48   #20
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:08
Ok guys, so far here goes:

Played on Monarch, using AU mod, PTW 1.14.

Right now I'm in the year 1350 AD. I just entered the industrial age and am exactly on par technologically than my rivals.

I have tried concentrating on wonder building, and have been very successful. I got the Colossus, Great Library, Sistine Chapel, Copernicus Observatory, Shakespeare's Theater, and Newton's University built (basically all the ones I need). My city has every improvement except Granary and Courthouse.

True to a warmonger like myself, I could not resist in undertaking at least SOME military enterprise, in this case two wars with the Indians. The first time was because they placed a city right on top of the Ivories, it had to be destroyed. Fortunately, that city diverted a major barbarian uprising before I captured it myself

As for my start, I poped all the huts around the city, true to my traditional goody hut bad luck, I got 2 free settlers (why don't I get these in my PBEMs??) and pottery among those. Only good one was getting CB.

As for the international situation, Korea went to war with India and left them with 3 cities, making them a superpower right next to me. The Romans took out the Celts too, so only 4 of us remain. All 3 of my rivals are relatively equal in strength.

My next objectives are not staying too behind, getting sanitation, Theory of Evolution, and stock markets. That should pretty much pave a way for a possible spaceship victory later on.

BTW, I don't remember if I disabled diplomatic victory... I think I did but is there a way to check? (or to hack it in case I didn't?)

Anyway: here's the map of my city, Megalozenopolis, and you can see the ruins of Karachi and Jaipur up north. Who says warmongers can't have fun in OCC??
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au302.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	42335  

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 12, 2003, 21:18   #21
De Gaulle
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Hueij
I just looked at the poll. Am I the only one that founded my city on the hill on the coast SW of the starting position? I thought that having your city on the coast is one of the most important things in an OCC game. When I started I send my worker to the hill north because I thought that would be a better place to found my city and my settler to the hill sw just in case that it would be an even better place. It paid off, but even if not I would have lost at most two turns.

Any thoughts?
I agree 100% with you Hueij.
This is the single most important move of the game IMO.
This move provides us with the coastal location needed to build two improvements that give us enough trade to get a reasonnable chance a keeping up in science: Colossus (vital in OCC I think) and commercial docks.

At the same time it is also important to be close to fresh water in order to grow freely to size 12 in the ancient age. This is really useful for building wonders and other improvements quickly enough.

I sent my worker up that hill to get a better idea of the map and the fresh water lake/coast/wheat/cow/fish/fur combo that this position provides was too good to pass up...

Additional benefits from that position were the defensive bonus (hill) which can come in handy when you look like such a juicy target with more wonders than units defending them... and the close proximity to Ivory. If you build enough cultural improvements early enough (my build queue (Babylon):temple/worker/defenders/library/GL...) you can control them culturally (you also need to place military units on positions not yet covered to prevent AI settlement too close). Having these 5 ivory patches has proved invaluable in the tech race: it is 1800AD and Babylon is five turns away from building the UN while researching computers.
Looks like diplo or cultural are possible but I want to try space race. I think I'll lose that though... Unless I start World Wars to keep AIs busy while avoiding being smashed at the same time...

" Oui, c’est l’Europe, depuis l’Atlantique jusqu'à l’Oural, c’est l’Europe, c’est toute l’Europe, qui décidera du destin du monde ! "
De Gaulle, Strasbourg, novembre 1959.
Old April 12, 2003, 21:34   #22
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The hill south of the starting position is IMO the best site. It offers fresh water (the lake) and is on the coast. The immediate benefit is that you can build the colossus ASAP. The next benefit is that you can reach size 12 without an aqueduct.

Coast also makes you able to find your neighbors. There's a nice "sea lane" which makes for reaching the Celts easy using suicide galleys (I lost like 4 ) but the advantages of getting contacts (especially since I had the GL) was immense.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 12, 2003, 21:44   #23
De Gaulle
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

Coast also makes you able to find your neighbors. There's a nice "sea lane" which makes for reaching the Celts easy using suicide galleys (I lost like 4 ) but the advantages of getting contacts (especially since I had the GL) was immense.
Exactly! I did that too and it was worthwhile even if it didn't last until navigation...
In my game the Indians built the great lighthouse and were able to reach the other continent fairly quickly unfortunately...

Master Zen: were you able to build the Great Lighthouse and play the tech broker until Navigation?

" Oui, c’est l’Europe, depuis l’Atlantique jusqu'à l’Oural, c’est l’Europe, c’est toute l’Europe, qui décidera du destin du monde ! "
De Gaulle, Strasbourg, novembre 1959.
Old April 12, 2003, 21:48   #24
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by De Gaulle

Exactly! I did that too and it was worthwhile even if it didn't last until navigation...
In my game the Indians built the great lighthouse and were able to reach the other continent fairly quickly unfortunately...

Master Zen: were you able to build the Great Lighthouse and play the tech broker until Navigation?
De Gaulle:

I did not build the Great Lighthouse, I decided to get the Great Library and hoarded $$$ while I let the AI do its research for me. Immediately after Literature I started researching Map Making so I could try and get contacts. I say that "sea lane" and decided to explore. After 4 lost galleys I finally saw the Celts and they later traded my contact with others so I got to see them all. With the GL I got their techs.

-MZ

Old April 12, 2003, 22:09   #25
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 09:08
My first OCC try
Hi everyone!

I had a little free time this afternoon so I turned on my computer and started my OCC game. In fact, I finished it too. It was pretty frustating, but let me tell you how it went...

I'm playing the Babs on regent, AU mod. I was aiming at a 20k cultural victory all along, and the Babs with all those cheap culture buildings were an obvious choice. I might try it again later with another civ though...

I agree, the first move is probably the most important of all game. I decided to move one tile SE, in order to be near the river and on the coast. I think the last point is a priority, as it allows easy commerce with the other civilizations. In retrospect, I think I made a good decision. Maybe not the best one, but a good one.

Going for culture with a religious civ, my initial build was a temple. With culture doubling at every 1000 years, it was a priority to get a temple ASAP, when the turns are worth a lot of years...

I made a couple of mistakes in the early game, the worst one being shown in the screenshot attached. My 3 warriors were out exploring the continent and my capital was producing the Colossus. It was only guarded by a conscript warrior I popped from a nearby hut. It got defeated and I lost all of my production. I was 5 turns away from completion... I lost that wonder to the Indians...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	untitled-8.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	42340  
Old April 12, 2003, 22:22   #26
Konquest02
Prince

My research path was a bit screwy too. I researched mysticism to have the opportunity to build the Oracle. In fact, I only used the Oracle as a shield-holder for the GL. I then beelined for Literature and I managed to build the GL succesfully. I got a couple of techs from it and it was worth it.

I managed to build the Lighthouse, GL, Sistine, Shakespeare, Leo's and JS Bach's Cathedral. I also built every single improvement except for a courthouse, which was mostly useless... I also have the IW and the Military Academy. At the end of the game, I got 4338 culture points from the GLibrary and my ultra-early temple gave me 1812. Not bad!

Things were going good, I had the ivory monopoly, I traded it for a lot of gold and luxuries. I even got 4 luxuries and 3 resources from the English for my ivory, near the end of the game.

So culture was piling up for the people from The One and Only. Things were doing great because their great culture blinded them from the world around. When the AIs hit the modern times, I was 8-9 techs behind. At that point, I did what I should have done a while ago, set my research at 0% and buy the techs from the AI's. I was doing pretty good and I counted the turns seperating me from the 20k culture victory...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	résumé.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	42341  
Old April 12, 2003, 22:28   #27
Konquest02
Prince

But then, I got this message...

Quote:
We are disgraced!

You have sufferd an embarrassing space race defeat.

Time spent: blah blah blah...
WHAT ?!?

Screaming at the pixels began... and stopped after the steam went out... I lost with 3 turns left until my victory. I was really frustrated.

I'm probably gonna start another one, with another civilization, later, when school is over (in 2 weeks! )

--Kon--
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	untitled-4.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	42343  
Old April 12, 2003, 22:45   #28
Dominae
Emperor

Nice try Kon! Maybe you could have used all that money on Espionage missions to ensure that ship never got into space on time...

Dominae
Old April 12, 2003, 22:46   #29
Konquest02
Prince

Things I learned...
- Don't mess up in the early game. It's really important. Try to think about every single move you do. Try to think of a better move each time. If you can't come up with a better move, then you have the move you gotta do.

- Diplomacy is really important. Check the other leaders EVERY TURN! You don't know when they'll discover a new tech you can buy or sell...

- Research only the techs you need. In OCC, your biggest enemy is tech lag. By skipping unnecesary techs (Navigation, Military Tradition, Economics(?), Nationalism(?), Espionage and Communism are the ones I can think right now.

- Free Artistry IS useful... You can't underestimate the power of 8 content citizens... and a lot of culture!

- If not aiming at a diplomatic win, try to get the AI at war against each other. They will probably fall into communism and you might have a chance to catch them up...

- After you lose (which will probably happen at your first tentative), don't be afraid to restart the same game if possible. That way you can correct some mistakes and maybe win this time around! That's what I'll do for sure!

- Korea got really powerful but England amazed me during the game. Looking at the replay, I notice they got a settler really early (i.e. 3000bc) They became a real killer AI, crushing the Celts and the Romans. Good job Dom...

--Kon--
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	minimaps.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	42347  
Old April 12, 2003, 23:11   #30
BigDork
Prince

Kon...

The only real problem I see with where you chose to start is that you won't have control of the furs. Mind you it isn't a big problem but it's more more luxury you can control.

Okay I have a kinda OT question. It's something I noticed from Kon's games. How do you get the alternate terrain graphics while playing an AU game. I really don't like the standard one but can't figure it out. Thanks. Also I finally found a program to replace Photoshop so I'll be posting screens again soon. Yay!!!

BigD