Local Date: November 2, 2010
El Awrence
Old December 9, 2003, 14:53   #63
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:09
Larry Horse says those damn Argentine's should be happy the Brits didn't bomb their dopey country back into the stone age.
Old December 9, 2003, 14:54   #64
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 17:09
What was the total casualty count on both sides?
Old December 9, 2003, 14:56   #65
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

two teacups
Old December 9, 2003, 15:05   #66
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 15:09
... and about 1000 people (about 750 Argentinians and 250 Brits IIRC)
Old December 9, 2003, 16:42   #67
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 11:09
I'm pretty sure the casualty count was quite larger than 1000 all in all... IIRC something like five hundred souls went down with the Belgrano alone...
Old December 9, 2003, 16:49   #68
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 16:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Unspeakable Horror
---
they are our islands after all.
---
First, we can´t go there, there´s an exclusion zone that doesn´t allow us to go near the islands, unles we want to star another war
Could you make up your mind?
Old December 9, 2003, 17:41   #69
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

What´s so hard to understand? They are ocupying them now but that doesn´t mean they don´t belog to us.
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!
Old December 9, 2003, 17:48   #70
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

El Awrence, 323 deaths are from General Belgrano and 770 survived.

Argentina
• Deaths and MIAs: 635
• Wounded: 1.068

• Totals: 1.703

British
• Deaths and MIAs: 255
• Wounded: 777

• Totals 1.032

Edit: Forgot it was in spanish.
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Last edited by Unspeakable Horror; December 9, 2003 at 18:01.
Old December 9, 2003, 17:56   #71
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 10:09
would it make sense to establish the South Atlantic as a nuclear free zone? I mean given that US and Russia have cut back our respective ballistic missile sub fleets, do they need as much Ocean to remain hidden in? And if theyre not there, no good reason for nuclear depth charges, etc. Might even be possible to do something in the south pacific - make the Kiwis happy - but China might have something to say about it.
Old December 9, 2003, 19:07   #72
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 08:09
Quote:
What´s so hard to understand? They are ocupying them now but that doesn´t mean they don´t belog to us.
Unspeakable Horror, do you actually believe the British are "occupying" your God-given little hellholes called Falklands?

Argentina started a war to capture them, and Argentina lost. What more is there?

According to http://www.yendor.com/vanished/falklands-war.html as well, it looks like Britain captured 10,000 prisoners. Hot damn, I don't think you really should be acting all big, should you?

Also from that page.
Quote:
The islands' position was debated by the UN committee on de-colonization. Argentina based its claim to the Falklands on papal bulls of 1493 modified by the Treaty of Tordesillas (1494)
Oh, wow, am I going to go by a 500 year old treaty or a nation that's POSSESSED AND RULED IT FOR 150 YEARS!?

I thought this might explain the Argentinian arrogance.
Quote:
Virtually every child in Argentina, to this very day, is made to believe that the islands are Argentine, the people living on the islands are virtually non-existent (and if they do exist, they are not considered a party in the conflict) and that the so called "imperialistic injustice"
It says in the same paragraph that Britain would've handed over the isles, but the Falklanders never consented.

It's worth reitirating that ARGENTINA STARTED THE WAR and it LOST. Now, if it had won and it somehow slipped into Britain's hands, then I'd care. But it never won. It suffered defeat, and by the way, silly Argentinians, you don't gain the territory when you lose, but when you win.

Old December 9, 2003, 19:36   #73
Drake Tungsten
Deity

My friend told me that the fist sign you see when you cross over the border from Brazil to Argentina is something like "The Falkland Islands are ours" in Spanish.

Silly, brainwashed Argies...
Old December 9, 2003, 20:56   #74
Chilean President™
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

Although Chile helped in some very small way the British in that war I find tasteless having fun with the 'Argentine lost'. It was a terrible war for Argentina and I cannot find anything amuzing about it.

I'm not saying it wasn't a mistake the invasion but come on don't laught about it.

Aguante Argentina
Old December 9, 2003, 21:06   #75
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Give Antofagasta back to Bolivia, you imperialist bastard! You're no better than the Brits.

Silly Chilies...

Old December 9, 2003, 21:09   #76
Chilean President™
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Give Antofagasta back to Bolivia, you imperialist bastard! You're no better than the Brits.
I'm tired of those Bolivias saying all the time that they are poor 'cause they don't have sea...

Silly Bolitas
Old December 9, 2003, 21:27   #77
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Although Chile helped in some very small way the British in that war
Under-Chilean-statement of the year.
Old December 9, 2003, 21:35   #78
Chilean President™
Deity

Put it in your sig.
Old December 9, 2003, 21:56   #79
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
Although Chile helped in some very small way the British in that war I find tasteless having fun with the 'Argentine lost'. It was a terrible war for Argentina and I cannot find anything
I'm only laughing at the hilarious troll about the Falklands being "occupied" by the British.
Old December 9, 2003, 22:13   #80
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Troll???? Me??
You know what I meant by "occupied" I never said they had 40.000 soldiers armed to the teeth with 1000 Battleships and 500 nukes waiting for us!

In fact IIRC they have an small military base with only 2000 and probably some small ships, I don´t know the correct word to describe this so I said "occupying forces", couldn´t find a better description, token? symbolic?
They know that under a democratic government nobody (sane) would declare war (it was a stupid war that both governments tried to take advantage of), they are there just to remind us that they are under british rule now... and for a long time probably.

Old December 10, 2003, 00:13   #81
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

mrmitchell, get your damn facts straight:

It's not about a papal bull, it's about the fact that the British withdrew from the Falklands in 1774, at this point the Spanish went in and settled it. When spain lost it colonies in 1820 an Argentinian expedition went in and made the first Argentinian settlement on the island.

Enter the USA. A US warship in 1833 bombed and destroyed the Argentinian settlement after a group of US fishing ships were arrested in the island. Afraid that the US was going to take control of the island, the Brits came in and occupied it and sent settlers.

I don't know how, and I don't know why the UK believes it has a "right" to those islands when a sovereign nation (Argentina) went and settled it before. Regardless of the 1982 war, and regardless of the current stupid apology, only a blithering idiot would not see that this was stolen territory from the start.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old December 10, 2003, 00:19   #82
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
I don't know how, and I don't know why the UK believes it has a "right" to those islands...
The people living on the island don't want to be part of the basket case that is Argentina.
Quote:
only a blithering idiot would not see that this was stolen territory from the start.
This matters in what way? You're not getting Texas back either.
Old December 10, 2003, 00:42   #83
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I was speaking with my Spanish teacher about this the other day and he said a couple of things (he's Argentinian ex-pat, btw, living in Falklands when war broke out):

#1: The Argentine Media was far far less accurate than the BBC
#2: The people of the Falklands want the British to stay in the Falklands (vote)
#3: Falklanders don't like the Argies

The reason the British still own territories is because the people being ruled over like it that way. There is a thing called the Statute of Westminster that allows any territory under British rule to declare its own independance. 99% of Gibraltians want the British there. Almost the same in the Falklands.
Old December 10, 2003, 00:49   #84
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes, because the current falklanders are descendants NOT of the British settlement of the 1600's, but of the 1833 settlement after the Argentinian settlement was destroyed by the US.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old December 10, 2003, 00:51   #85
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
This matters in what way? You're not getting Texas back either.
And the point behind your typically retarded statement is...?

Old December 10, 2003, 01:06   #86
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I don't know how, and I don't know why the UK believes it has a "right" to those islands when a sovereign nation (Argentina) went and settled it before.
Because the Argentines don't settle it anymore, and the UK does? And that territory is recognized as British soveriegn territory by the rest of the world?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 10, 2003, 01:14   #87
JCG
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
The reason the British still own territories is because the people being ruled over like it that way.
Because they are basically Brit-descendants who wouldn't want it any other way.

"Nice" strategy though...kick out the people who are actually geographically close to the place, settle it with your own people, who will evidently never want to change things, and then bingo! the land's yours forever (or at least a very long time) even if your nation's thousands of miles from the place.
Old December 10, 2003, 01:16   #88
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
And the point behind your typically retarded statement is...?
Poor attempt at mixing a joke with a serious statement. I was basically asking what possible signifigance Argentina's claim has when they are lack any coherent legal arguement or the military force to back it up?
Old December 10, 2003, 01:50   #89
mrmitchell
King

Quote:
Enter the USA. A US warship in 1833 bombed and destroyed the Argentinian settlement after a group of US fishing ships were arrested in the island. Afraid that the US was going to take control of the island, the Brits came in and occupied it and sent settlers.
Britain reoccupied it before Argentina did. On top of that, Argentina attempted to reclaim it and Argentina failed. As a prominent mod here would say, "Case closed".
Old December 10, 2003, 03:49   #90
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Because the Argentines don't settle it anymore, and the UK does? And that territory is recognized as British soveriegn territory by the rest of the world?
Because the Argentines CAN'T settle it.

Take ANY piece of land in the world, kick out its native inhabitants, now bring your own settlers and settle it for the next 100 years, now ask those settlers if they want to join up with the old native country, gee, what do you think the answer will be?