Old December 8, 2003, 10:46   #1
Node
Settler

Local Time: 08:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
No one in my game likes me!
I'm playing a regent level game as the Babylons. I am many many techs beyond everybody else and I have never broken a 20 turn agreement, never declared war on anyone (Greece declared war on me, and I destroyed them, never razed a city), in fact the only bad things I think I ever did was tresspass, and leave the next turn.

I have given each other Civ gold, techs, luxuries, and never asking for anything in return but they will never go above polite with me. I have embassies with everyone and rights of passage. I can't even trade a straight up luxury for luxury without them asking for four techs, 500 gold, my world map, and the luxury!

What can I do in the future to make everyone trade evenly with me? What about getting them gracious? Are there any obscure things I may have missed that might have damaged my reputation?

Thanks
Old December 8, 2003, 11:09   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Your culture will effect how the other civs view you, I think. The higher your culture relative to theirs, the better.

The AI places a higher price on Luxuries based on how much good it will do for you. As the game progresses and your population grows, getting those trades will cost more and more.
Old December 8, 2003, 11:19   #3
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 15:10
Re: No one in my game likes me!
Quote:
Originally posted by Node
What can I do in the future to make everyone trade evenly with me? What about getting them gracious? Are there any obscure things I may have missed that might have damaged my reputation?

Thanks
Fear. Build a more powerful military, identify your most unpopular neighbour - the one who picks on everyone else - and eliminate them. The other AI's will become rather more receptive, particularly if they are, or have been, in a military alliance with you against a common enemy.

Alliances and war are the best way to have friends.
Old December 8, 2003, 11:58   #4
Node
Settler

I had a mutual protection pact with good old Japan, and out of no where good old Abe decides to declare war on them. I guess I should make an example and get everyone else to fear me, but I have only been making one defender per city as a Democracy.

Also, everbody is in awe of my culture.
Old December 9, 2003, 06:19   #5
Node
Settler

Ok heres something odd..

Im trading communism for William's gold per turn, gold, and a map. If I also throw in gems he "would never accept such a deal."

Whats up?
Old December 9, 2003, 15:23   #6
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 11:10
maybe his wife doesn't like jewelry...
Old December 9, 2003, 15:54   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:10
Who said the game wasn't realistic?

Old December 9, 2003, 16:32   #8
Justin69002003
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:10
Had the same problem once, but of course I sneaked attacked everyone, even with a RoP, and took aout about 3-4 civs, but hey I gave them all techs, hehe. Started a world war with everyone against me, and I won.
Old December 9, 2003, 16:35   #9
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Node , did you break a gpt or lux/resource treaty before it expired?
Old December 9, 2003, 17:50   #10
Node
Settler

Nope, at least I didn't break them. Maybe another country broke it.

Also every single time I talk to another leader, my foriegn advisor tells me that I shouldn't trust them because they attacked me. I have ONLY gone to war with two people and not everybody else, and they are all polite towards me.

This game's diplomacy makes NO SENSE.
Old December 9, 2003, 18:01   #11
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

The diplomacy will look like it is screwed up but once you know the details you will find that most of it has an explanation.

And some of it will never be anythng but plain stupid
Old December 12, 2003, 14:31   #12
justjake73
Prince

Local Time: 09:10
I think the following are some factors that affect "like / dislike":

- Trading. If you're trading something with them, they'll like you more.

- Power. If you are less powerful, the more aggressive civs will eye you for possible conquering.

- Alliances and friendships. Treaties with their enemies will sour their mood.

- Tech. If you're "advanced", they're afraid of you and won't wan't to tangle with your army. If you start to fall behind, see "Power."

- Room. Near the end of my "Mesopotamia" scenario, everyone started wars with everyone because they had run out of space in which to expand.

I don't think CUlture has much of an effect unless the difference is drastic.
and in the darkness bind them.
Old December 13, 2003, 08:30   #13
Puma
Warlord

as far as I can tell
If you have amazing culture they tend to like you and you will not have to give an arm and a leg in trades. If you have an average army they will not look down to you. The military advisor will tell you avg/stronger weaker. I pay attention to him, as the diplomacy advisor I think only tells you whether their forces are larger in number or not.
I also think that the luxury trades are evaluated by the AI based on your population.
Regarding the rejection of your gems: Is Will communist? One general strategy I pull is that of progressively taking all the luxuries until my opponents are forced to deal with only 1 or 2 each. Thereafter, if a war occurs they are quickly forced into communism. After that, If I try a generous trade which includes luxuries, they tend to reject it. I am not sure why, but I think it has something with a reduced value for luxuries while in communism. Maybe I'm wrong.
Here's what I actually think *may* have happened. Abe started fighting Japan, so you were forced to declare war on Abe. A couple of turns later you sued Abe for peace and that was the end of that, *but* right there you may have broken the mandatory 20 turn length of the MPP. The game doesn't warn you about breaking treaties when requesting peace. You may have been on turn 17 with 3 turns to go but nobody told you. It happened to me a few games back and I went back through my saves trying to figure out what the hell went wrong because it messed my hopes for a Diplomatic victory. Try to see how the Civs respond when you suggest an MPP with other things thrown in the mix. if someone responds "We all know how you betrayed the Japanese..." then I'm right on the money .
Hope that helps,
Old December 13, 2003, 08:34   #14
Puma
Warlord

Oh yeah, and don't be surprised, the civs get a little bit more irritating and demanding as you proceed to harder levels, it's only normal.