Old December 8, 2003, 13:41   #1
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 14:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
ATV riding, did you ever tried it?
I just tried ATV riding in snow yesterday, I had a great time! I never thought it would be that fun. I think it's even more fun than on dirt. Simply because, on hardened snow, you can drift (skid sideways) non stop when you get used to the throttle. After 30 to 45 minutes I really go used to the ATV in snow and managed to drift for about 500 feet in 3 curves (I almost went in the ditch on that one though). I wish I wasn't at work right now so I could go again....

Do any of you like to go ATV riding?

Spec.
Old December 8, 2003, 13:45   #2
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 16:10
I'd rather use the snow for skiīng.
Old December 8, 2003, 13:54   #3
Spec
Emperor

Ok......but have you ever tried ATV riding?

I think that that was the question.

Spec.
Old December 8, 2003, 14:00   #4
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 10:10
I used to when I was young and lived in the country. Now I live in the city, I don't.

But it's super fun.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 8, 2003, 14:04   #5
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
I used to when I was young and lived in the country. Now I live in the city, I don't.

But it's super fun.
Have you ever got in an accident? I did (oh surprise surprise! ). 2 summers ago, I was climbing a steep hill and a tire blew up....The ATV leaned on it's side and rolled down the hill with me.... The ATV rolled on me once and I was all scratched up with rocks and gravel...Ouch. The AtV only had minor injuries, unlike me.

But it's all in good fun!

Spec.
Old December 8, 2003, 14:07   #6
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I've never been in an accident, but the 3-wheelers that I rode on were probably very dangerous.

4-wheelers are much safer. Do they even sell 3-wheelers anymore?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 8, 2003, 14:10   #7
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS

4-wheelers are much safer. Do they even sell 3-wheelers anymore?
No, because they rolled over to much. They weren't safe enough.

Spec.
Old December 8, 2003, 14:11   #8
Japher
Emperor

My neighbor growing up, who was about 4 years older than me, had an ATC (3-wheeler) and we use to mess around on it all the time. My parents told him, my neighbn, not to let me ride it but like kids we ignored the elders. We use to ride around the drainage ditch (maily just a big whole at the low point of the grounds slope, to prevent flooding) in my backyard so you could get good air off the sides - I flipped it and burned my arm pretty good on the engine, I still have a scar, but it was still fun.
Old December 8, 2003, 16:25   #9
Brundlefly
Prince

I went on vacation to Cabo San Lucas once and rode ATV up and down sand dunes that were 3 stories high. It sucked when I got stuck in a ditch of that soft sand though. CSL is on the southernomost tip of Baja California peninsula. I rode my ATV on the Pacific Ocean beach side. It's the only time I've seen the Pacific.
Old December 8, 2003, 16:47   #10
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

I had an atv for about two years then i got bored with it and sold it.
Old December 8, 2003, 18:22   #11
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

If you mean what I think you do, and ATV is called a quad in this country, since it appears like a large motocross bike but with four wheels. I used to ride them quite a bit, I was trained to 'stunt ride' (so it was called) basically doing jumps, skids, spins, wheelies and generally showing off on them. Stopped it when a friend of mine I rode with went over a jump too fast, tried to correct, but when up the next hill sideways (not enough gap between them to correct completely) and rolled the quad over him. He wasn't that badly hurt, but since then I've just ridden them straight. Went through Red Canyon (in Utah, next to Bryce Canyon) in one, which was great fun, and some wonderful scenary, with a guide and my brother. Got to open it up a bit, which was quite nice, and got a grreat pic of us riding into thr sunset, with dirt streams from the back of the ATVs

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 9, 2003, 11:13   #12
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Went through Red Canyon (in Utah, next to Bryce Canyon) in one, which was great fun, and some wonderful scenary, with a guide and my brother. Got to open it up a bit, which was quite nice, and got a grreat pic of us riding into thr sunset, with dirt streams from the back of the ATVs
Wow. Post that pic, would you?

I would love to see the Utah canyons. I've been all through northern Arizona and to the Grand Canyon several times. Awesome.
Old December 9, 2003, 19:05   #13
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Sadly, it is a slide, not a print picture

The Utah canyons moved me far more than the Grand Canyon. We started in Zion N.P., then went to Bryce, via the Red Canyon. All were absolutely breathtaking, especially during a helicopter ride into Bryce Canyon. If I can hijack a scanner, I will upload some of those, as they're on prints.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker