Old January 8, 2003, 19:59   #1
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 10:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Apolyton University PBEM
This thread hosts the PBEM section of Apolyton University, and the AU MP mod.

Apolyton University is a school of strategy, where students sharpen their Civ3 skills and share their experiences in a series of thematic games. When playing an Apolyton University game, gaining and sharing knowledge is more important than getting a high score, or even winning the game. Participants are encouraged to share their strategy after the game, and even to try several attempts.

For single-player games we have developed the AU mod, whose main purpose is to challenge the player with a need for deeper strategy. To accomplish that goal, the mod tries to improve the AI and present the player with more strategic decisions, while changing as little as possible.

Apolyton University for PBEM games is slightly different than for single-player, because participants compete directly against each other. However, the primary goal of the game is still to share knowledge with the community, as opposed to win a competition. Therefore, players report their adventures and strategy for everyone to read after each game is over. Since the AAR of the game is there to read from each player's angle, there could be more lessons in good strategy to be learned from a loser's account who got a bad starting position or fought against a stronger alliance and almost won, than from the actual winner.

The multi-player version of the AU mod features additional changes (or in some cases a return to the original rules), that were not included in the standard mod because they handicap the AI. The latest version is attached at the end of this post.

Here are some rules to keep in mind when playing an AU MP game:
  1. Due bugs in PTW 1.14f, not loading the game the proper way can reveal map information to the player that should not normally be available, change the difficulty level, or switch the game to Accelerated production. To be safe, always load the game after you have started a fresh PTW session, and always from the main screen. Loading from the "Multiplayer" screen can change difficulty levels and AP, while loading the game from the main screen without having just started PTW may reveal map information.
  2. Never save the game in the middle of your turn. Reloading the game in the middle of the turn immediately makes the game go through a production phase, so you get additional income, shields, and culture. If you accidentally get a save where the previous player forgot to end his turn, you should have that person play his turn again from the beginning and resend it - don't end his turn for him.
  3. Always follow in-game mechanics for diplomacy. For example, don't contact other players until you have actually met them in the game, don't trade mini-maps until you have Map Making, and don't form military alliances until you have embassies.
  4. If you do something that would be generally considered cheating, like replaying your turn, using an external program to view or change the save, or accidentally viewing another player's turn, report it to the other players.

Typically, there are several games active at one time. See the PBEM thread for details.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip au mp mod 1.01.zip (30.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by alexman; February 7, 2003 at 15:47.
Old January 8, 2003, 20:11   #2
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: Apolyton University PBEM
Wow, this is really good "marketing" for AU. Hopefully the effect will be more regulars involved in both SP and MP games.

Quote:
Originally posted by alexman [*]Always follow in-game mechanics for diplomacy. For example, don't contact other players until you have actually met them in the game, don't trade mini-maps until you have Map Making, and don't form alliances until you have embassies.
I'm all for this rule, but the last point introduces a difficulty: how can you tell if a player's actions are the result of an alliance, or whether they're just "being nice" to one other player in particular? The AI is coded to attack an ally's enemy, but us humans have no such restrictions. So, what is required is a new defintion of 'alliance'.

Dominae
Old January 8, 2003, 20:17   #3
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 08:11
Re: Re: Apolyton University PBEM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
The AI is coded to attack an ally's enemy
I'm not sure of this.
All I'm sure of is that an Alliance requires the AI to declare war.
I've seen AIs "join" my alliance and then go happily along as though I'd just given them a gift.

I may merely have been unlucky, though.
Old January 8, 2003, 20:19   #4
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 15:11
I like it. It says all what has to be said, and is short and clear. As for the alliances... I don't know. I would understand it like not to conspire by email against another player until you have embassies and your alliance is official and visible in the diplo screen. No "silent alliances". If two players by chance attack the same opponent, it should be ok as long as they don't share information, like between allies.
Old January 8, 2003, 20:23   #5
DaveMcW
Prince

Local Time: 09:11
Edit: Alright, I understand now. The goal is to roleplay alliances and map trading.

I assume that if two civs are at war with a third, they must sign an in-game alliance before sharing information or coordinating attacks.

Last edited by DaveMcW; January 8, 2003 at 20:29.
Old January 10, 2003, 02:53   #6
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

After some difficulties with changing levels in the first PBEM game, I updated the proper way to load the game in the initial post. Note that the recommended way is now from the main screen, just make sure you have a fresh session of PTW (and never load from within another SP game in progress).
Old January 10, 2003, 03:12   #7
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Looks like a great learning experience, and a lot of fun! I also agree that the in-game diplomacy should be kept "realistic."
Old January 10, 2003, 19:04   #8
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 16:11
Of course making AU PBEM would FREEZE AU rules for a lot of time (several months).
Old January 17, 2003, 17:24   #9
Dominae
Emperor

Well, there are two games underway already, and room for plenty more!

If you're interested in playing a PBEM game against the regulars of the Strategy forum here at 'Poly, come and check out the third Strat PBEM thread in the PBEM section. All are welcome, because this is above all a fun and learning experience.

Although the first two games are being played with the AU mod, this is not a requirement for this new game.

So sign up, state your preferences, and we'll begin!

Dominae
Old January 22, 2003, 08:51   #10
eklektikos
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Chieftain

As a longtime lurker in this forum I'd certainly be interested in taking part in the next of these games, if that's no problem
"In general, someone is a thing of value if and only if he or she is willing to submit to whatever degradation and abuse is required to preserve that position. Anything less betrays a lack of commitment." - Steve Albini
Old January 22, 2003, 09:10   #11
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by eklektikos
As a longtime lurker in this forum I'd certainly be interested in taking part in the next of these games, if that's no problem
Definitely not a problem, but there is the problem that there are no new games available at the moment. If anyone is interested in starting a new Strat PBEM, please post here! eklektikos, stick around, another one is bound to start up eventually.

Dominae
Old January 22, 2003, 10:43   #12
BigDork
Prince

Local Time: 14:11
Hi all. I'm sure I'd learn a lot gettin' my butt kicked all over the place by you experts So if there is any room in a new game lemme know. Thanks

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old January 22, 2003, 19:05   #13
Dominae
Emperor

Well, we've got two people interested in another game. Anyone else?

Dominae
Old January 23, 2003, 11:27   #14
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Haven't MP'ed yet, but am willing to!

Fill me in!

AJ
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old January 23, 2003, 12:55   #15
Dominae
Emperor

Ok, that's three. So far we have the following players who are interested but are not involved in a game yet:

ZargonX
eklektikos
BigDork
AJ Corp. the FAIR

Could you all post a second time to verify that you really want to get a game going? It would help to include a short description of your game type preference (small Pangea, large Archipelago), just to see if you're all up for the same type of experience.

Dominae
Old January 23, 2003, 14:24   #16
eklektikos
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Chieftain

I'm not particularly worried about the world map setup... anything's fine by me
"In general, someone is a thing of value if and only if he or she is willing to submit to whatever degradation and abuse is required to preserve that position. Anything less betrays a lack of commitment." - Steve Albini
Old January 24, 2003, 01:25   #17
BigDork
Prince

As it's my first MP I'll leave the decisions up to someone else. Oh, one thing, no raging barbs.

BigD

Old January 24, 2003, 02:45   #18
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

I'd prefer small/standard, pangea/continents settings.

Beware that I'm not a 'pc wizard' and that I'll probably need some background advice to play PBEM (will check out the manual and the forums though).

Won't it be a 'problem' that we seem to live in different countries?

One turn per day?

That's not much IMHO.
(but might be necessary playing by email in different timetables)

Looking forward ...

AJ
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old January 24, 2003, 04:38   #19
BigDork
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR
Won't it be a 'problem' that we seem to live in different countries?
Well, I'm currently in Germany so that's what, an hour ahead of you? Something like that. Shouldn't be a problem for me.

BigD

Old January 24, 2003, 04:39   #20
BigDork
Prince

Actually, now that I think about it my work schedule may be a small problem, we'll see. I work 2245 local to 0700 local. I usually don't get up until at least 2000. I'm sure we'll figure something out.

BigD

Old January 24, 2003, 08:22   #21
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

The Story of the Tragic End of Rightful Iroquois Domination
moved to where it was supposed to be

Last edited by jshelr; January 24, 2003 at 10:00.
Old January 24, 2003, 08:29   #22
BigDork
Prince

Umm...I think you may have the wrong thread. Unless this is your AU PBEM game, then give'em all hell.

Actually, give'em hell anyway

BigD

Old January 24, 2003, 09:27   #23
Dominae
Emperor

AJ Corp., BigDork and eklektikos, I'm going to start a thread for a fifth strat PBEM game (in the PBEM section here on 'Poly) later on in the day. Hopefully it will attract one or two more players, which will make your game a little more interesting.

Civ3 PBEM is easy. No need to worry. 1 turn per day is not a lot, but if you organize things well with your group you can get about 5 turns instead. In Strat PBEM 1 (which is now 4) 4-5 turns per day was standard.

Dominae
Old January 24, 2003, 15:14   #24
Dominae
Emperor

The three players interested in a new game (listed above), there's now a new thread entitled 'Strat Forum PBEM: Game 5' in the PBEM section. Check it out to select your civ and such. The earlier you do this, the earlier you get to start!

Dominae
Old January 24, 2003, 19:15   #25
BigDork
Prince

Great. Thanks Dom

BigD

Old January 24, 2003, 23:53   #26
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

checking it out ...
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old January 25, 2003, 00:19   #27
Dominae
Emperor

BigDork (gee, I feel guilty saying your name...), could you post your preferences on the Strat PBEM 5 thread?

We only need one or two more players and you guys can get started.

Dominae
Old February 7, 2003, 15:50   #28
alexman

Updated the AU MP mod, based on the single-player AU mod version 1.16