Old October 2, 2003, 23:55   #1
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 07:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AUSG101 – Opportunist Team DAR 4
This is the DAR (“during action report”) thread for the fourth turn block of 30 turns (550bc –50ad) for the opportunist team. Please post your DAR of the next 30 turns, including thoughts of why you did what you did in the game, along with a screenshot at 50ad and a savegame at 50ad. Please name your save with your nickname, team name, and the time (i.e. rhoth-opportunist-50ad).

Team registry:

Dominae
Arrian
Nor Me
BRC
Godking
Platfuss
korn469

Current voting (by domination team)

Nor Me: 1

Total votes: 1 of 7
Attached Files:
File Type: sav nor me 550 bc.sav (149.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Rhothaerill; October 12, 2003 at 01:30.
Old October 3, 2003, 15:37   #2
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 14:12
Just a word of warning about my position for those who didn't read my AAR too closely:

1) I believe that Barad-Dur will build the Pyramids in 2 turns. Then Washington should switch and build the Hanging Gardens or the Oracle straight away

2) Our troops are well-placed to take Washington Next turn

I think that might be worth emphasising. Don't sue me if that isn't quite what happens as I haven't played yet.
Old October 7, 2003, 15:33   #3
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Anyone from the opportunist team out there? Voting begins tonight and there hasn't been a single save posted for this team yet.
Old October 7, 2003, 17:24   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:12
Oops, sorry, haven't played this at all. Don't know if I'll have time tonight.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 7, 2003, 17:52   #5
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

I'm playing it. Up to 30AD so far. The save and AAR should be up before the deadline.

Someone else had better next time though.
Old October 7, 2003, 20:11   #6
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

My objective for this set of turns was to attack Mordor with Ansars as fast as possible. I was going to finish America and attack and possibly kill Japan. Getting wonders and leaders was to be more important than doing that fast. In particular, the great lighthouse would make a huge difference to the main objective. A well-placed FP would be nice. If I didn't get a leader, I would have to continue with Kufah's prebuild in a less than perfect position.

I started carrying on the American attack while leaving Washington for a turn until it built a wonder. I sold Map Making to Japan in 530BC for a token price. They already had Monarchy so that would allow them to switch to two of the three 300-cost wonders.

In 510BC, Barad-Dur built the Pyramids as expected. The other AIs didn't switch straight away so I had to delay the attack on Washington again. Philosophy was discovered and Feudalism started.

Wasington built the Oracle, conveniently just before it's capture. That left 5 cities in with a chance at the Great Lighthouse, Kyoto, Osaka, New York and Ur. From what I knew of this continent, I expected New York to be behind the Japanese cities so didn't bother sparing it from the advance.

The Americans proved to be lightly defended. The only offensive units I'd seen were the warriors I'd killed before this block. Every city had 1 or 2 spearmen. I have things like 3 cities falling in 1 turn.

In 430BC, Osaka built the Great Lighthouse and Kyoto followed with the Hanging Gardens in 330BC. In the same turn, a Japanese horseman was sighted. I expect the Japanese to put up more of a fight.
So when I discovered Feudalism in 310BC, I actually bothered to upgrade the remaining non-elite sworsmen and warriors. War followed in 250BC. It took almost that much time to move those swordsmen.

230 BC: The Americans are eliminated. As their last city falls, Uthman decides to make an appearance. That's an FP then. As the Americans seem to have tried to fit in with our 3,5 distance RCP, the best site is Washington, where it was rushed in 190BC.

Meanwhile Kufah, which was pre-building the FP was changed to the Great Wall. This has a large denial value in the AU Mod. But the main reason for building it was to trigger our GA. The Great Lighthouse was capured in 210BC, providing expansionist to the Oracle's religious. So our Golden Age began in 150BC. It seemed like a good idea to use the GA to bring our Ansar rush forwarads. Once we were already figting with them, it would almost be wasted.

The Indians and Babylonians payed 96 gold between them to continue our alliance. You'd almost think the war was their idea. Plans for intervention were already underway. 5 or 7 galleys moved up the west coast, offering what assistance they could against Japan.

130BC: Monotheism was discovered, revealing that Chivalry in 4 would still leave +15gpt. FPs and Gas require some adjusting to.

70BC: The last Japanese city falls. Another dead civ, another leader. I could have saved it for the other continent but 10 of my cities were building barracks. Sun Tzu's in Kyoto came at exactly the right time for the 2nd core to start military production.

50BC: With Chivalry in 1 turn, I have 39 horsemen. I started the crossing. Immeadiately, I run into a Barbarian welcoming party. Luckily their 3 galleys don't manage to scratch any of mine, leaving me with more HPs than I started with. The 6 horseman also prove reluctant to do anything. But they looked good.

30BC: After Chivalry, I thought that Engineering with 1 scientist would be a good idea. I needed gold for upgrading immeadiately and am not even sure of the long term merits of research any more. We can build Ansars, galleys, temples, courthouses, the odd marketplaces and cathedrals. What would anything else be useful for? I started upgrading and convoying my troops.

I know that Sauron doesn't look like an infidel but evil is deceptive.
For five centuries have we been at war with the black land but containment is no longer an option. Should he get pikemen, he will become unstoppable. We have the capacity for pikes ourselves but know that using them would only lead to our own destruction. On the face of it, the black land looks far from pikemen as they still lacks philosophy and currency from this era but the latest intelligence suggests that they already have a secret pikemen program. In particular, there is a pike precusor plant on a mountain near Barad-Dur, deep within Mordor itself. We should go to this mountain and prevent Sauron from ever getting pikes. Only then can he be utterly defeated.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ausg1 50ad.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	54690  
Old October 7, 2003, 20:21   #7
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Code:
Nutrition Information:

Wonders:                              5
Ansars:                              37
 (of which on the other continent):  10
Horsemen:                            10
 (of which elite)                     2
Galleys:                             15
 (of which at the crossing)          11
Income:                          323gpt
Attached Files:
File Type: sav nor me 50 ad.sav (202.8 KB, 9 views)
Old October 8, 2003, 00:04   #8
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Due in part to 'Poly's problems with downloads, etc. and partly to the fact that there aren't that many turnblocks submitted, I am officially extending the deadline for DAR4 until Thursday at 23:59 eastern time. At that time, no matter what the status of 'Poly, the discussion phase will begin.
Old October 8, 2003, 09:51   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Wow, NorMe has this thing practically wrapped up. Well done!

Sorry, I've gotten sucked in to the demogames lately, which is why I haven't played my round.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 9, 2003, 18:20   #10
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

RL. I live, but outside of my computer. I haven't had a chance to even sneak a peak onto poly for the past 5 days... and doubt I will again for the next 3 or 4.... sorry guys. Count me out this and probably next time as well.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 10, 2003, 00:16   #11
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

It is almost midnight EST so I'm going to go ahead and officially declare the fourth turn block over. Now we will start the process of deciding which saves will begin the next turn block. For this turn block the domination team would choose for the opportunist team and in turn the opportunist team will choose for the spaceship team.

In the spaceship DAR 4 thread please post your preference for the next turn save for that team. It is also encouraged, though not mandatory, to discuss and critique the individual saves while posting your preference. The time period for discussing and posting your preference will last until 23:59 EST Saturday, and the next turn block will begin on Sunday.

I will keep a running count of the voting updated in the first post of this thread. The choice for the next savegame will be posted in this thread and a brand new DAR 5 thread for the third turn block on Sunday.
Old October 10, 2003, 14:00   #12
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Just in case I have uploaded Nor Me's file so people can download it safely.

Nor Me's save
Old October 10, 2003, 14:42   #13
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Did I miss something or is this the only canidate? I am not complaining as it makes it easy for me.
Old October 10, 2003, 15:19   #14
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Yep Nor Me is the only candidate unless one of the others can get their save posted soon.

BTW, the domination team is the one voting for the opportunists, so they're the ones that have it easy.
Old October 11, 2003, 01:18   #15
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:12
Gee... as it is it's kind of a no-brainer!

I'll wait till tomorrow to see if someone else posts. Otherwise, Nor Me automatically gets my vote. I'll comment tomorrow on his save regardless, the feedback might be useful.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old October 12, 2003, 01:38   #16
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

The voting for the fourth turn block is finished and Nor Me is the choice. Congratulations Nor Me. The fifth turn block will be posted in a new DAR thread. Everyone will have 10 days to complete the fifth turn block. That means the DARs will need to be posted by 23:59 EST Tuesday the 21st. This is being done for three reasons…one to get back onto the normal schedule, two to hopefully draw back the people who have stopped playing by giving them more time to play, and three I will be gone from the 16th through the 20th.

I am now going to forgo the prior way of doing things and say that Nor Me will still be eligible for his save being picked next turn block. This is in part due to the fact he was the only one who submitted a savegame last turn block and partly because vmxa1 is correct that it is unfair to discourage those who submit excellent turn blocks.