Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 11:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Gamespot confirms Civ IV
Look here.

Quote:
Civilization IV confirmed

Firaxis attributes devoted fans and sales of Civ III: Conquests as tipping points.

One of PC gaming's most revered franchises is back--or at least, on the way.

Responding to reports that Firaxis is not only deep into development of Pirates 2, but also prepping the next installment in its Civilization franchise. A Firaxis spokesperson confirmed to GameSpot today that, "We are in the early planning stages of Civilization IV ... truly the very beginning stages."

The spokesperson pointed to high sales of the Civilization III expansion pack, Conquests, and interest noted among fan sites as being the primary reasons behind the studio's decision to go another round with the Civ franchise. "Based on sales of Civ III: Conquests, clearly, people continue to want more Civilization. As long as people continue to want more, we'll deliver."

By Curt Feldman, GameSpot (POSTED: 12/08/03 12:56 PM)
Old December 9, 2003, 00:40   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:14
That's cool but we already heared it straight from Firaxis.
Old December 9, 2003, 05:52   #3
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 09:14
Hopefully they'll set the city limit for this one so rediculously high that I'll never have to see that damn "can't build" message ever again.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 9, 2003, 13:22   #4
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
That's cool but we already heared it straight from Firaxis.
Just reinforcing. I heard some people saying that this wasn't true.
Old December 9, 2003, 13:27   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 08:14
Alright, early stages huh?

FIRAXIS: PLEASE ALLOW SCRIPTIBLE EVENTS FOR SCENARIO WRITERS THIS TIME.
Old December 9, 2003, 14:05   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Just reinforcing. I heard some people saying that this wasn't true.
well, I guess you know who to ignore now.
Old December 9, 2003, 14:53   #7
gunkulator
Prince

Woohoo!

Old December 9, 2003, 15:16   #8
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

well, I guess you know who to ignore now.
i sure do.

Now where is Rasb... er... never mind.
Old December 9, 2003, 21:37   #9
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 08:14
Another update on Civ 4:

As posted at CivFanatics by Jeff Foley of Atari (bolding added by me):

Jeff's post

Hi folks!

As usual, glad to see all the interest and excitement. I consider myself spoiled to be able to start off marketing a new game with so many people talking about it. Sometimes gaming journalists complain that there are too many sequels out there. But is it any wonder, when games like Civilization have such a following?

A few things here, before we get ahead of ourselves. First of all, this wasn't even a product announcement, this was only a brief mention of the kind of irons Firaxis keeps in the fire. Sid Meier, Jeff Briggs, and their hardworking crew of artists, designers, and programmers, have built up a solid development studio with a strong track record and a wealth of experience. In a world where many development studios are startups struggling to make payroll, it's a luxury to work with a studio like Firaxis that's capable of running multiple product teams, shifting resources as necessary, to keep a steady stream of high quality games.

One of the reasons that Firaxis creates such amazing games is the aforementioned prototype phase. I'll tell you, it can play a bit of havoc with long-term planning, not knowing when a game will be ready! But it's instrumental to their creative process -- invent, and reinvent, and reinvent again, until everyone knows it's a winner. Only then do they go into production, and we (Atari) start to get into the loop.

Who would we be fooling if we said there would never be another Civ game! But suffice it to say there are currently no plans for any Civ sequels in 2004. Any other clarity on the release date for a sequel would definitely be premature. Please -- enjoy Civ 3, enjoy Civ Conquests, and while I'm sure the Firaxis folks appreciate the various suggestions being posted in Civ 4 threads, I cannot emphasize enough that it is early, early, early, and you'll likely not hear anything official about future Civ products for a long time.

In the meantime, we'll be focusing on Sid Meier's Pirates! and recreating a legendary game. We're currently expecting a Q4 2004 release, but anything's possible -- remember the whole prototype process? -- because we want to make sure to do this thing RIGHT. You'll begin to see more information about this game as early as January.

Happy holidays,
Jeff Foley
Atari

Additional post by Jeff in the same thread

quote:
----
Originally posted by Grey Fox
Thanks Jeff, that sounds real reassuring. Not that I doubted Firaxis or Atari, it's just that It's good to hear that kind of thing from an official source.

And really, really, please make them take their time. I don't know how much impact you have on that Jeff. But please, don't rush the game out . If there is going to be multiplayer and modability, include that from the start, and have it finished, Please!

-----

Thanks, Grey Fox. I think Atari & Firaxis learned a lot from the Play the World release, and I think you saw the impact of those lessons in the Civ Conquests release -- we are not afraid to delay a release on behalf of quality. Going forward, we have the advantage of continuity, since a lot of the same faces are working on these projects. While the reality is that there will always be some time pressure -- without it, most games would never be released at all! -- I can assure you that the team in place puts great emphasis on the quality of our releases, and Pirates! will be no exception.

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari
Old December 10, 2003, 15:57   #10
Alex
Emperor

wow, an atari executive admitting that PTW was rushed out the door!

re: civ4. now the damage is done, and the news spread like fire...
Old December 10, 2003, 16:12   #11
Shadow Dweller
Settler

Local Time: 14:14
My question is aabout the "Legandary game" part. Is pirates the legandary game or could they hopefully be talking about MoM2?? We all know Arati has rights to that game and I'm hopeing the're gonna give it to a deserving company(we all saw what they(quicksilver) did to the MoO series...
Old December 10, 2003, 17:42   #12
Alex
Emperor

i think he was referring to Pirates.
Old December 11, 2003, 07:47   #13
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
wow, an atari executive admitting that PTW was rushed out the door!

re: civ4. now the damage is done, and the news spread like fire...
no i think he was admitting PTW should have been part of Civ 3 opriginally not an XP.. The first civ3 was rushed out....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71