Old December 15, 2003, 22:15   #61
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 10:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
To Witt.

Snotty - every streak has to end sometime. I hope ....
Old December 16, 2003, 07:56   #62
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Snotty
You write an article as good and relevant as that and it deserves to be linked. Hopefully a lot of people are going to be coming to multiplaying with C3C, and thats the kind of thing they need to read.
Thanks Wittlich. Thanks Snotty...I appreciate that.

I'm glad MarkG is promoting the multiplayer tournaments aggressively.
Old December 16, 2003, 11:42   #63
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:17
3900BC Turn sent to J2K.
Old December 16, 2003, 16:36   #64
j2k
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 06:17
3900 to McMeadows
Old December 16, 2003, 18:56   #65
McMeadows
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 16:17
3900 BC sent to the UK
Old December 17, 2003, 03:47   #66
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 15:17
Sent on
Old December 17, 2003, 03:51   #67
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Beta, I've sent you a PM
Old December 17, 2003, 07:51   #68
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Sent to SlightlyMadman.

Let's see if I got you before you left for work! I'm off to work myself...
Old December 17, 2003, 08:55   #69
SlightlyMadman
Warlord

Local Time: 09:17
Now, that one hit my spam catch. I'll have to train it not to do that.

*sigh*, this is one of the few times I'm thinking it would be really nice to be expansionist, even on a small map

Ah well, over to beta.
Old December 17, 2003, 09:16   #70
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

to Wittlich.

Snotty - got your PM and responded.
Old December 17, 2003, 13:29   #71
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

3850BC Sent to J2K.
Old December 17, 2003, 14:06   #72
j2k
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 06:17
3850BC sent to McMeadows
Old December 17, 2003, 18:12   #73
McMeadows
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

3850 BC sent to Snotty
Old December 18, 2003, 03:58   #74
Snotty
King

Sent on
Old December 18, 2003, 07:46   #75
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

3800 to SlightlyMadman
Old December 18, 2003, 08:47   #76
SlightlyMadman
Warlord

Methinks things should start getting interesting soon. To beta.
Old December 18, 2003, 09:20   #77
McMeadows
Emperor

Unfortunately I don't have a scout unit. For me it's been hitting the spacebar and send on these first few turns... From this it probably won't be long before I'll have someone knocking on my door. All welcome to celibrate X-mass in AMsterdam, but don't make a mess please...
Old December 18, 2003, 09:36   #78
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

There are several of us that are new to multiplayer. Before contact is made I wanted to discuss something...to make sure we all agree. I will make several statements and feel free to post if you feel differently.

1. No discussions about game specifics with other players until you meet them.
2. No making deals that you would ordinarily not be able to make playing single player.

This would include informing another player of geography before having printing press.

What about MPP type agreeements or embargos?

Any thoughts?
Old December 18, 2003, 09:38   #79
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

I sent you a PM McMeadows....not game related.
Old December 18, 2003, 09:40   #80
McMeadows
Emperor

Yesterday indeed, to which I have replied. I hope you have received it as well...
Old December 18, 2003, 09:53   #81
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

These PMs flying around are starting to make me nervous....

But on a lighter note, I concur with your two points Shogun. Concerning MPPs - I couldn't see why not, as long as the civs in question are in contact with one another in the game itself.
Old December 18, 2003, 10:00   #82
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

okay...if that's how it's normally done. I just want to make sure I stayed within the rules of fair play....

Sidebar discussions allowed once you've met the civ
Alliances are okay.
Embargos are okay.
Exchange map info is not (until both having printing press).
Old December 18, 2003, 10:01   #83
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by McMeadows
Yesterday indeed, to which I have replied. I hope you have received it as well...
I did not receive...
Old December 18, 2003, 10:06   #84
McMeadows
Emperor

It trully wasn't game related. He noticed my sign up date and from still being a settler concluded that I must have been away from the forums for quite a while.

First of all I never "talked" much. I read a lot on (civ II) strategy by Xin Yu, Ming, Rah, MWHC and their game talk. I noticed I was nowhere near their level and there wasn't much to add to their stories.
My interest faded away from civ II, got revived with civ III and now again with C3C. Although I started playing Civ I around 1990 (in the holidays on my dad's computer), the long envisaged ultimate civ experience in playing against human intellect is still under exploration.
Old December 18, 2003, 10:23   #85
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Oh cool, McMeadows... somewhat similiar to my experience....

At first I was a lurker, then a real bad poster - My first interactions posting with anyone was with this guy "Smokey da Nuke Man" who advocated firing off nukes whenever possible. The first Civ3 caused me to lose some interest, but PTW and C3C really brought me back.

Now, McMeadows...what about the plan to gang up on Wittlich?

Kidding Just kidding ha ha ha
Old December 18, 2003, 10:25   #86
Beta
lifer
Deity

to Witt.

SG - I concur with the guidelines you have posted. I recall posting or discussing these when the game started - but now I can't remember where they got to.

The critical ones (and I think you had the main two) are:

1. No communication between players until they have in-game communications.

2, No out-of-game map trading until you can trade maps in-game. (some have even argued that out-of-game map trading should note be allowed - but screenshots have become generally accepted as a way of communicating military straategies and the like.) btw - I am a bit of a purist and wouldn't mind out-of-game map trading banned, but that is nor the generally accepted approach by most games in progress.

3. Play to win. This may seem obvious - but I think it was Dominae who put it best when he described not bringing previous grudges into a game. In other words, it would be unethical, and not a lot of fun, if one players sole goal was to prevent person X from winning. So, the premise is, all players are intending to win the game by some means.

4. No reloading saves. Which is obvious.

5, And then the exploits - of which there are a number of lists going around (eg the galley chain, fortfify all, city swapping, GL harvesting) - and which ones are OK and which ones are not.

I was pushing to have a topped thread which would lay out the generally accepted Poly guidelines fron MP games, including the list of exploits.
Old December 18, 2003, 10:27   #87
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

Now, McMeadows...what about the plan to gang up on Wittlich?
Count me in!

Old December 18, 2003, 10:33   #88
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

You guys are funny!

3800BC Turn sent to J2K.
Old December 18, 2003, 11:09   #89
McMeadows
Emperor

Knock knock knocking on Wittlich's door...
2004 remix
Old December 18, 2003, 14:04   #90
SlightlyMadman
Warlord

I should be more or less considered as being new to PBEM (I've played a few games, but it was in the PTW beta, so we never made it very far), so I have a quick question about the map trading issue.

What about general geographical information? Like if I wanted to negotiate with an expanding neighbor and say "There's some incense to your north, you can have that, if you let me take the dyes to your west, then we can trade." Or something along those lines. The same could be said about contact trading. I could tell my neighbor that they'll meet the Romans to the North, and they tell me I'll meet the Greeks to the south. When you think about it, neither of these things would require the appropriate technologies, from a realism standpoint.

I guess there's lots of gray area items that simply require a bit of good judgement and honesty, but I was wondering if there's a rule of thumb for things like that?