Old December 9, 2003, 22:41   #1
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 10:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Blair floats idea of giving 16-year-olds right to vote
Quote:
Blair floats idea of giving 16-year-olds right to vote

ALISON HARDIE POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

THE voting age may be lowered to 16 in a ground-breaking move the government believes would re-engage young people in politics.

Tony Blair ordered a senior political ally to float the idea at the weekend to gauge how popular it would be.

The direct involvement of the Prime Minister is a sign of how seriously the proposal is being taken.

The government is increasingly concerned that the political process has alienated so many people at such a young age it must take drastic action to reverse the trend.

Lord Falconer, the Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs, who is very close to the Prime Minister, said the debate was "vital" and part of the government’s agenda of reform.

He said: "We expect more and more of people in relation to personal participation; we expect more and more in terms of social responsibility, in my view rightly, from young people - particularly young people.

"If we want to engage young people and make them discharge their responsibilities then I think there has got to be a quid pro quo of letting them see greater influence in the political process.

"One might well be able to give teenagers the vote at 16 rather than 18. We need to have a debate about that," he added.

Lord Falconer’s statement follows comments from Mr Blair last week that he was undecided about the current arrangements for the voting age, suggesting he was no longer opposed to lowering it.

The Electoral Commission is due to report on changes to the voting age in the New Year.

The independent body, which advises ministers on how elections can be modernised, began consulting on the voting age in the summer following concern over falling turnouts among young voters.

At present, a 16-year-old can marry and join the army but cannot vote in elections until reaching the age of 18.

In addition, the bar on standing as an election candidate is set at 21 years.

At the general election in 2001, only 39 per cent of 18-24 year olds bothered to vote, according to the pollsters MORI.

That coincided with a survey by the British Household Panel which suggested nearly 30 per cent of 15-17 year olds said they were either very interested or fairly interested in politics - higher than the equivalent figure for the 18-20 age bracket.

Last week, Mr Blair told an invited audience of young people at Downing Street that he had no strict view about the way forward.

He said: "On voting at 16, I’m undecided myself. If you had asked me two or three years ago I would have answered ‘no’. Now I’m not sure about the arguments.

"There is obviously a case for saying, ‘Look, people grow up a lot more quickly - there are many things you can do at the age of 16 - so why shouldn't you be able to vote?’"

When the consultation began in the summer, Glyn Mathias, the electoral commissioner, urged people who were not normally interested in politics to get involved before the exercise closed in October.

The commission sought views from people attending party political conferences, the annual sitting of the UK Youth Parliament and youth interest groups.

The review came after the commission found that just 16 per cent of voters aged under-25 voted in the elections to the Welsh assembly.

Not only did under-25s fail to vote in significant numbers but equally badly, only 21 per cent of the next age group, the 25-to-34 year olds, exercised their democratic rights.

In Scotland, the turnout for the parliamentary elections also fell overall from just over 58 per cent in 1999 to around 49.5 per cent this year.

Matthew Green, the youth spokesman for the Liberal Democrats, backed changing the voting age to 16.

He said: "Denying 16-year-olds the vote because some consider them politically immature is trite nonsense.

"If 16-year-olds can marry, have children of their own, pay taxes and join the army, why should they not be able to vote for the government they want?"

But David Willetts, the shadow cabinet member in charge of policy development, was cautious over the idea.

He told the Sky News Sunday with Adam Boulton programme: "I personally think that 18 has been a reasonable age - I don't particularly see any need to lower it.

"It is important to engage younger people in the political process but I'm not sure that lowering the age to 16 would be the right way to do it."
You guys rock so much! The UK is such a great country for considering this so seriously. I wish the US would catch up.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old December 9, 2003, 22:48   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 14:18
Old December 9, 2003, 22:58   #3
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 08:18
Good, now all they need to do is ditch the monarchy (and blair) and England can become a higher nation....
Old December 10, 2003, 00:08   #4
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 09:18
Good for Blair.
Old December 10, 2003, 00:15   #5
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 10, 2003, 00:40   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:18
not until they can have sex legally as adults I say
Old December 10, 2003, 01:24   #7
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Actually they can at 16. 17 in Northern Ireland and 16 in the rest of the country.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old December 10, 2003, 01:25   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 14:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
not until they can have sex legally as adults I say
I can't tell:

Is Diss against 16-year-old voters, or is he for 16-year-old prostitutes?
Old December 10, 2003, 02:56   #9
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

London:

"In British political news, the most recent polls have shown a large new upswing of votes for "Hugh Jass" and "Jack Hoff""

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old December 10, 2003, 03:10   #10
Zevico
Prince

Local Time: 00:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Compulsory voting, people! Thst's the solution. Sort of. it won't get rid of ignorance though.
Old December 10, 2003, 03:11   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

I can't tell:

Is Diss against 16-year-old voters, or is he for 16-year-old prostitutes?
I like to let other readers guess.
Old December 10, 2003, 03:46   #12
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

bad idea Most 16 year olds are assclowns. Then agian, so are most 46 year olds

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old December 10, 2003, 04:01   #13
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

most British people are assclowns, so that reasoning doesn't work
Old December 10, 2003, 04:17   #14
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

:brwncard:
Old December 10, 2003, 05:23   #15
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:18
Like with most changes in voting status, if you're not the one affected (i.e. a 16-year-old or a 17-year-old), there's one reason to do it - you believe it benefits your party.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old December 10, 2003, 05:27   #16
Bereta_Eder
Settler

No, 18 is the right age. You've had plenty of time to absorb what your father votes so you can vote the same.
Old December 10, 2003, 07:06   #17
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:18
I say extend the franchise to any kid that can identify London on a map and who can name at least one monarch. By doing so, he would exhibit the education level of the average Blair voter.
Old December 10, 2003, 10:59   #18
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

There are lots of good reasons for lowering the voting age. Its just been announced that Congressman Kucinich is in favor of lowering the voting age too.

Old December 10, 2003, 11:05   #19
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 15:18
It will be FAR TOO EXPENSIVE!!!

Give 'em the vote and they will also have to get the social benefits to.

At present, 16-17 year olds don't get state hand outs. This will cost 100s of millions.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old December 10, 2003, 11:07   #20
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Its just been announced that Congressman Kucinich is in favor of lowering the voting age too.
Now that's a great reason.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old December 10, 2003, 13:41   #21
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Well, if you're giving the vote to the animals in the forest, I should think teenagers would get some consideration.