Old December 10, 2003, 08:20   #1
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 16:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
CtP2 and the Frenzy AI mod
I have heard many comments about the Frenzy AI file and many of them are talking about a buggy SLIC code. Some modders have even suggested that it should be removed from the mods using it.

I am currently considering removing it but before doing so I would like to know how the Frenzy AI works, what are its effects on the game and what are the bugs coming from it.

Old December 10, 2003, 10:39   #2
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 09:19
Frenzy has the right idea, but it really needs to impliment it much better...

Basically, it looks at your regard relationships with the other AIs, and when that regard drops to a certain point, it will trigger the AI to assemble and march stacks toward the human player's cities.

The settings in strategy.txt will then prompt those stacks to attack. So if the priorities are low for attack, then all the stacks will do is march around and never attack.

I know that Peter has found a host of bugs within the SCLI code, but I'm not sure what those are.

From my playing experience, the greatest flaw within the code is the fact that Frenzy seems to override garrison commands - so oftentimes the AI will vacate a city it has just taken allowing it to be easily recaptured.

In Cradle, assaults on cities destroy buildings and population, so the player still finds it costly to lose/retake cities, but the goal needs to be to have the AI hold onto those cities.

IMO, this is the main issue that I want addressed with CTP2 in general - a more-focused AI in how it addresses military matters - it is probably the weakest area of the game.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old December 10, 2003, 23:49   #3
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 07:19
Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian

IMO, this is the main issue that I want addressed with CTP2 in general - a more-focused AI in how it addresses military matters - it is probably the weakest area of the game.
Absolutely, that is THE WEAKNESS that if fixed, would make the game what it could/should be.
Old December 10, 2003, 23:52   #4
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 07:19
well, that and some changes to the diplomacy model
Old December 11, 2003, 00:11   #5
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 16:19
Thanks for your answer Hexagonian.

I have sometimes noticed how weakly some cities are defended whereas you have a few stacks of units in the wilds.

I think I will disable the FrenzyAI mod and play my next game without it.
Old December 11, 2003, 05:37   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:19
In Call to Conquest (that doesnt incl Frenzy IIRC) the AI defends and supplies its own cities very well, even when im surrounding it with three 12 stacks all bombarding into the city and around it, it tries to surround me and bombard me too. I havent noticed how they defend newly conquered cities yet because i recaptured my city the very next turn, only by one unit remaining, so you cant blame them really.