Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010

Boris -
Quote:
Just go to the frickin' dictionary, people:

cap·i·tal·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kp-tl-zm)
n.
An economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately or corporately owned and development is proportionate to the accumulation and reinvestment of profits gained in a free market.
I did, but we're dealing here with Kid so the definition has to be repeated several times. looks like you used the same online dictionary I used.
Old December 12, 2003, 02:00   #62
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 06:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker

Boris -

I did, but we're dealing here with Kid so the definition has to be repeated several times. looks like you used the same online dictionary I used.
If you think there aren't any free markets in the US then I can't tell you anything.
Old December 12, 2003, 02:20   #63
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Quote:
Where did you get that def? A govt that doesn't intervene is no govt at all.
Sorry, government nonentervention in the market.

I thought that would be obvious in the context of an economic system
In Apolyton debates, I guess nothing is taken as being obvious.
Old December 12, 2003, 02:46   #64
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:19
Quote:
Take note of the words in bold. Once the market is not free, it is no longer capitalism.
1. According to who? Smith? Ricardo? Marx? Keynes?
2. Define "free" market.
Old December 12, 2003, 03:12   #65
Berzerker
Emperor

UR, according to the dictionary. Boris and I have supplied the very same definition...

Kid -
Quote:
If you think there aren't any free markets in the US then I can't tell you anything.
You're Kid. The definition of capitalism has been offered in response to your challenge and you've been refuted; resistance is futile, don't fight it, accept it, embrace it, just don't blow a gasket trying to avoid it...

As for whether or not there are any aspects of the US economy the Republicrats haven't distorted with taxes, regulations, or subsidies (we were debating this? No, you're changing the subject), I'm sure there are a few but the corporate welfare being discussed here - contracts handed to Halliburton - is not one of them. Got that? Sheesh!
Old December 12, 2003, 04:48   #66
Ned
King

Just say a story on the news about extremely long gas lines in Baghdad. It takes a full day to tank up. So the option for the US military to buy from the Iraqi's is a non starter. They would only make the shortages worse.

Just seeing the gas lines tells me a lot about the prices the Iraqi's themselves are paying. Obvioulsly, they are way too low, otherwise they would be swiming in gas.
Old December 12, 2003, 08:21   #67
uh Clem
King

Local Time: 08:19
Headline in today's Times: U.S. Sees Evidence of Overcharging in Iraq Contract

This just in: Sun rises in East
Old December 12, 2003, 10:29   #68
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:19
Quote:
UR, according to the dictionary. Boris and I have supplied the very same definition...
Government nonintervention does not make a free market. In fact, a free market is one where a government keeps monopolies and cartels from forming.
Old December 12, 2003, 13:20   #69
Ned
King

As the facts come out, it appears that the problem is that Halliburton is buying gas in Kuwait at $2 a gallon while Kuwait is selling it for $1 a gallon to others.

Kuwait is gouging the United States!
Old December 12, 2003, 16:18   #70
Edan
Warlord

Local Time: 10:19
Bush: Halliburton Must Pay for Overcharge
Old December 12, 2003, 16:21   #71
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Just go to the frickin' dictionary, people:

cap·i·tal·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kp-tl-zm)
n.
An economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately or corporately owned and development is proportionate to the accumulation and reinvestment of profits gained in a free market.
Oh yes. I always use the dictionary to describe a complex and masive system of social organization. Yeah, that "definaition" isn't tainted by ideoogy at all.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 12, 2003, 16:23   #72
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I'm debating you and when poly communists deny that Stalinism represents communism, you've agreed (don't ask me to track down a quote because I can't/won't).
3-year old debates don't count.

Quote:
Now, you didn't answer my question about public schools, are they capitalistic?
They can be.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old December 12, 2003, 20:00   #73
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
Government nonintervention does not make a free market. In fact, a free market is one where a government keeps monopolies and cartels from forming.
Free Market - An economic market in which supply and demand are not regulated or are regulated with only minor restrictions.

"Minor restrictions" can be vague and in the eye of the beholder, but corporate welfare is not a regulation, it's a handout to favored businesses.
Old December 12, 2003, 20:02   #74
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Free market = a market which is regulated by the rich, by the rich.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 12, 2003, 20:07   #75
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:

Kid -

You're Kid. The definition of capitalism has been offered in response to your challenge and you've been refuted; resistance is futile, don't fight it, accept it, embrace it, just don't blow a gasket trying to avoid it...

As for whether or not there are any aspects of the US economy the Republicrats haven't distorted with taxes, regulations, or subsidies (we were debating this? No, you're changing the subject), I'm sure there are a few but the corporate welfare being discussed here - contracts handed to Halliburton - is not one of them. Got that? Sheesh!
Have you taken any introduction to economics courses, or read any introduction textbooks? Corporate Welfarism is not an economic system. Period. The US's economic system is capitalism. Everyone knows that except you and your padiwan.
Old December 12, 2003, 20:32   #76
Berzerker
Emperor

Kid -
Quote:
Corporate Welfarism is not an economic system
Corporate welfarism is similar to mercantilism, not capitalism. And yes, mercantilism is an economic system. As for the US, capitalism requires a free market and a free market allows at most minor regulation. Therefore, some aspects of the US economy may qualify as capitalistic while other aspects are not because they are highly regulated. But if you think corporate welfarism is not an economic system and capitalism is an economic system, why would you argue corporate welfarism is capitalism?
Old December 12, 2003, 20:50   #77
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Kid -

Corporate welfarism is similar to mercantilism, not capitalism. And yes, mercantilism is an economic system. As for the US, capitalism requires a free market and a free market allows at most minor regulation. Therefore, some aspects of the US economy may qualify as capitalistic while other aspects are not because they are highly regulated. But if you think corporate welfarism is not an economic system and capitalism is an economic system, why would you argue corporate welfarism is capitalism?
Corporate welfarism is not an economic system, period. Go look at a chapter in any intro to econ textbook titled comparative economic systems.
Old December 12, 2003, 20:57   #78
Berzerker
Emperor

Kid, why do you keep ignoring my questions? If corporate welfarism is not an economic system and capitalism is an economic system, then why would you argue corporate welfare is capitalism?

Mercantilism is an economic system and it has alot in common with corporate welfarism.
Old December 12, 2003, 21:09   #79
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Kid, why do you keep ignoring my questions? If corporate welfarism is not an economic system and capitalism is an economic system, then why would you argue corporate welfare is capitalism?
I'm not arguing that corporate welfare is capitalism. I'm arguing that there is no such economic system as economic welfarism and therefore the US is not corporate welfarist. Corporate welfare normally exists in a capitalist system. That doesn't mean that it is capitalism.