Old December 10, 2003, 18:48   #1
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 10:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Is anyone else surprised WOMD's werent planeted in iraq?
I figured even if we didnt find any, the goverment would of planted them to ensure the war was legitimate.....
Old December 10, 2003, 18:50   #2
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 08:21
Why would they be planted? Iraq had WMDs. You don't need to plant something that is already there.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old December 10, 2003, 18:53   #3
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 09:21
At first, I thought that would be the obvious answer to the problem. But after some more thought, why bother.
A majority of Americans don't really seem to care that nothings been found. The DieHards know we will find something eventually.

But if you got caught, people would care.
Old December 10, 2003, 19:14   #4
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Good point rah... getting caught would hurt the administration.

As you say, the diehard repubs expect us to still find them...

Many people don't care...

And the hard core left will be convinced the US planted them even if they are found.

So why bother... nothing to gain, and lots to lose.
Old December 10, 2003, 19:45   #5
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Whatta ya know. The Twin Terrors make good points.
Old December 10, 2003, 20:58   #6
Q Classic
Emperor

they won't be planted for the simple reason that we don't want our womd there at all. god forbid something goes wrong and we lose track of them...
Old December 10, 2003, 21:03   #7
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 14:21
ok...can someone...US citizens prefered...explain to me why you all dont care about not finding any WMD or that the US didnt have any reason to take over Iraq?
(that is just my opinion ofcourse )

(i really cant believe there is such a difference between US and EU so please try to explain it to me)
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old December 10, 2003, 21:04   #8
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 06:21
Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
ok...can someone...US citizens prefered...explain to me why you all dont care about not finding any WMD or that the US didnt have any reason to take over Iraq?
(that is just my opinion ofcourse )

(i really cant believe there is such a difference between US and EU so please try to explain it to me)
We do of course. These people don't represent the US public.
Old December 10, 2003, 21:07   #9
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 16:21
Americans wouldn't care.

Europeans wouldn't believe it.

Maybe.

Generalizing wildly.
Old December 10, 2003, 21:32   #10
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I don't believe that we would plant WMDs in Iraq...but I also don't believe that any will be found...and even if they are found it won't justify the war.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old December 10, 2003, 21:35   #11
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

I'm surprised.

...and even if they are found it won't justify the war.

Yes, but if they are found, the Bush Administration would look like mere idiots rather than incompetent delusional idiots.
Old December 10, 2003, 21:52   #12
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
explain to me why you all dont care about not finding any WMD or that the US didnt have any reason to take over Iraq
I don't know why everybody else doesn't care, but they don't seem to. I don't care because, strictly speaking, WMD wasn't what the reason that I supported the invasion. In my view, taking down Saddam was unfinished business and we were still fighting Gulf War I.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 10, 2003, 21:53   #13
Ned
King

The conspiracy theorists of the left never cease to amaze me in the intricacies of their paranoia.
Old December 10, 2003, 21:55   #14
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

ok then what is the MAIN reason US citizens think it was right to take over Iraq (

see i didnt even use invade or attack...oh wait i did now...well that is again just my opinion...)

but on a more serious note...i havent met a american lately..except one of my teachers (he helped design a smaller and better version of the cruise missile )...

so i havent had any change to talk about it! HELP ME!
Old December 10, 2003, 21:58   #15
DanS
Deity

Quote:
ok then what is the MAIN reason US citizens think it was right to take over Iraq
What do you want us to say? The polls show that Americans don't care too much, but don't ask why they don't care.

There was a smorgasbord of reasons for taking down Saddam. People chose their own reasons, or combination of reasons. But even though the reasons are unknown, we do know that support for taking out Saddam was very consistent over a 12 year time period -- within the margin of error of 62%.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 10, 2003, 21:59   #16
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
The conspiracy theorists of the left never cease to amaze me in the intricacies of their paranoia.
Says the man who vehemetly defended the theory that NOTHING was wrong in Iraq (cause this one reporter said so) and every other news outlet in the world was lying
Old December 10, 2003, 22:10   #17
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm surprised a little, maybe the Bush administration isn't as dishonest as some think. It would be interesting to see what would have happened if a large majority of Americans did care about this justification for the war. If there isn't a big motive to lie - plant WMD - then why do it? I guess that was pointed out...
Old December 10, 2003, 22:11   #18
DeathByTheSword
King

ok that is something that i didnt know....(about the support to attack saddam)...but then my next question: was there anything in the reasoning of US citizens because of 11-09 or is Iraq a totally different thing? where i am to young for to remember
Old December 10, 2003, 22:15   #19
DanS
Deity

Don't know. 9/11 didn't change the 62% support number.
Old December 10, 2003, 22:16   #20
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

This coming from the guy who believes that Shrub is hiding evidence of a Saddam-al-Qaeda connection to suprise the Dems.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old December 10, 2003, 22:20   #21
Berzerker
Emperor

Many were led to believe Saddam was connected to 9/11 so it's not entirely different. Many people supported the invasion because of Gulf War I, because Saddam is a butcher, and some believe a more friendly "democracy" smack dab between Iran and Syria will help Israel and the ME in general. There are all sorts of reasons to support ousting Saddam and few to mind our own business, so when you combine all the groups with their particular reasons they probably outnumber the dissenters, and even many dissenters understand the rational for invading. And then there's the sentiment of supporting the President in time of crisis...
Old December 10, 2003, 22:26   #22
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Says the man who vehemetly defended the theory that NOTHING was wrong in Iraq (cause this one reporter said so) and every other news outlet in the world was lying
Who, another accurate summary from the unfair and unbalanced.
Old December 10, 2003, 22:29   #23
DeathByTheSword
King

ok..i understand the gulf-war I and even the democracy in the ME...but if saddam is a butcher and the US wants to get rid of butchers why dont they invade in several other countries to...and i dont like the idea of forcing democracy on to people that clearly dont want it...yet...but ok in general I can understand the ideas behind the attack...and i will stop asking now "...tnx all....(still aposed to the war...but 100% for the rebuilding of Iraq after the war )
Old December 10, 2003, 22:30   #24
Japher
Emperor

I'm not really suprised at all. Bush probably thought if he planted Nukes a "nuke-tree" would grow, and who want more nukes in the mid-east?

Seriously, once we saw innocent ppl getting mowed down by Saddam all excuses went out the door. For me - a die hard repub, Bush supporter, past voter of Bush, future voter of Bush, and supporter of our actions there - that was enough of a reason. I think he got lucky, but like my dad always says, "I'd rather be lucky than good any day."
Old December 10, 2003, 22:44   #25
Berzerker
Emperor

Sword - there are people who want to attack countries engaged in genocide or similar activities, the US attacked Serbia because of it's behavior in Bosnia/Kosovo, and the US involvement in Somalia was largely in response to warlords using food and starvation as a weapon against competitors, but when all you have is that one reason, the task of convincing a majority becomes more difficult. With Iraq there were a number of reasons, not just his treatment of Iraqis. Let's not forget most of the Dems and Repubs were not beating the war drums back in the 80's when Saddam was committing atrocities, so they only found Iraq's crimes a convenient excuse once they had other reasons to invade Iraq.
Old December 10, 2003, 22:44   #26
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
ok..i understand the gulf-war I and even the democracy in the ME...but if saddam is a butcher and the US wants to get rid of butchers why dont they invade in several other countries to...and i dont like the idea of forcing democracy on to people that clearly dont want it...yet...but ok in general I can understand the ideas behind the attack...and i will stop asking now "...tnx all....(still aposed to the war...but 100% for the rebuilding of Iraq after the war )
Despite the appearance of omnipotence, we have our hands full as it is with Iraq, Afghanistan and Korea.

We really could use the help of the French, Germans and Russians. But they seem more interested in selling weapons for cash to the enemies of the United States, such as Saddam.
Old December 10, 2003, 22:45   #27
DanS
Deity

Quote:
but if saddam is a butcher and the US wants to get rid of butchers why dont they invade in several other countries to...
You can only do what you can do. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't do anything.
Old December 10, 2003, 22:50   #28
Berzerker
Emperor

Or more accurately, attack those who can't fight back.
Old December 10, 2003, 22:53   #29
DanS
Deity

Well, opportunities are opportunities. You can't attack without an opportunity.
Old December 10, 2003, 23:15   #30
Sandman
King

Local Time: 15:21
It could be that they believed their own lies. It happens quite often to people in important positions.