Old January 10, 2004, 00:41   #151
flipside
Warlord

Local Time: 15:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Oh, and stupidly we ran out of drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, and sexual partners some time ago.
Old January 14, 2004, 12:42   #152
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 08:23
Re: How important is your Apolyton identity to you?
Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex
I'm curious about several aspects of being a member of an Internet community, especially Apolyton (of course!).

What do you all think about the following (I've just grouped the questions for expositional clarity, feel free to answer in any way you like)?

I. Your Apolyton alter ego and your real life

Is it important to you to be noticed at the forums? That someone replies to your posts, read your threads? In short, to be "somebody"?
No, not really...

Quote:
If you feel neglected at Apolyton, does this influence your real life?

I'm by nowhere a "somebody" but I'm not neglected either...

Quote:
For example, if you feel attacked by another poster, does this make you sad in real life or you don't care?
Not sad... I just return fire...

Quote:
Similarly, if you feel that someone (who you've never met!) likes you, does it make you feel good IRL?
Why not? My 'poly friends are still my friends, just because I don't literally see them does that change.

Quote:
II. Apolyton for Apolyton's sake

Is your Apolyton alias something you treasure?
Treasure in what way? On Yahoo, or MSN, or ICQ, or AIM, or other online communities I'm easily found as flameflash there too. Makes life simplier for me... I treasure that...

Perhaps I'd be FlameFlash if I ever woke from this Matrix, who knows?

Quote:
Do you want to be respected by other Apolytoners or are you just out to wreak havoc in the fora?
eh? No on both counts.

Quote:
Do your posts reflect a desire to be liked or do you want to drive people nuts? In short, do you have a purpose with your Apolyton identity, are you creating a "brand name"?
Nope, it's just a way of representing me with my online name. The IRL self and the online self aren't different though.

Quote:
III. Your Apolyton identity and yourself

Does it reflect who you really are or are you just living out dark sides of your personality that you'd never show in real life? For example, extremely timid and nice boy named Sean uses MalevolantLight to get those scary EyesofNight...
Who I really am.

Quote:
Well? The psychoanalyst's couch awaits you...

Carolus
Not for me!

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old January 14, 2004, 20:16   #153
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:23
"No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself, and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be true"
-*Nathaniel Hawthorne

Interesting thought.
Old January 15, 2004, 11:42   #154
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 14:23
I well remember the strength of my desire to be accepted here when I very first began to post. I would not be surprised if other commited turn based strategy game players had not felt similarly. As soon as you find the place it is easy to see that you have found a whole bunch of very worthwhile potential friends.

When I have made a contribution on a thread the first thing I often do on re-visiting it is to find my own post and quickly scan through what follows to see if others have responded or developed the ideas I sought to express. And I am disappointed when no one has shown any interest. But not strongly disappointed. because a good deal of the satisfaction from posting is to give expression to the notion. To some extent it is a bonus if the result is to attract responses.

Which does not prevent me harbouring a respect for those posters who have the happy knack - AH is one such, for example, who never seem to start a thread but that it rapidly grows to 100 plus entries.

I suspect we are all willing to reveal more of ourselves on internet forums than elsewhere - it is often easier to make frank disclosures to strangers than to family, friends and close acquaintances.

I also find I am bolder here about tendering advice. That is partly because: in my day to day life I do not associate with youngsters much; partly because advice is often exptressly asked for (see point above); but also, I think, because the advice stands or falls on its merits - and can be the more easily rejected if of no use - than is the case when advice is solicited or tendered in rl.

One of the joys of internet boards - and Poly is an outstanding example of this - is the terrific range of information and expertise available. I know no mathematicians - except here - I know no physicist - except here - in respect of many countries the only people I know who live there and can speak authoritatively about that country's culture and geography post here. And I could go on. There are some threads so informative and interesting it is a privilege to read them.

Many boards are seriously undermined by youthful trolling and invective. But Poly has always been extremely well moderated and I have noticed on my present visit that the level of bad manners has dropped even further than the moderate level it used to reach. The standard of manners exhibited currently is nothing short of excellent.

I have met upwards of a dozen fellow Apolytoners in rl and in each case there were some mild initial surprises. But after that wore off the poster was plain to be seen in the real person. So I suspect that most of us do, whether we are aware of it or not, post in much the same persona as we ordinarily wear.

Quite why the convention grew up of posting behind an assumed monicker rather than over a straightforward signature I don't know. But it is clear that Internet convention is now deeply entrenched. I use one other name on the internet "Furious" but I would not part with East Street Trader" here. And I would as little do anything to bring that name into disrepute as I would my actual name.
Old January 15, 2004, 13:14   #155
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

East Street Trader,

Another exceptional post from you with some terrific insights. I especially like your point about RL person being reflected in the online persona.

Way back, in the last century, I started lurking here; waited a few years to register and another long time before I ever posted. I only looked in on the Civ2 Strat forum in those days, and thus, I missed out on these other sections. Which is only relevant in this context: I always read your postings there with great interest and I expect most others felt the same, even if there was no direct response. So, when I saw your name here after some years, the feeling was of rediscovering an old pal. Glad to see you are still envolved with our common "mistress".

Monk
Old January 15, 2004, 13:37   #156
East Street Trader
Prince

Local Time: 14:23
Thanks, Monk. I'm glad you finally decided to join in fully.

Although it would be kind of interesting if a committed "lurker" broke silence for just long enough to post to this thread. A pure observer might have a different slant on how individuals relate together within the community created by the site.

During a biggish chunk of the time I was not visiting I was spending unconscionable periods on-line playing an internet game called Earth 2025. The game itself is limited but it has spawned a gothic world of clans which are great fun (even though they tend to take over your life).

But I never forgot Poly nor doubted that some time or other Civ would come out of its box and I'd find myself back here.

It is a testament to what has been created here that there was no doubt that upon returning I would find the place still buzzing.
Old January 15, 2004, 18:39   #157
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 15:23
Fine sentiments
Old January 20, 2004, 02:26   #158
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Re: How important is your Apolyton identity to you?
Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex
I. Your Apolyton alter ego and your real life

Is it important to you to be noticed at the forums? That someone replies to your posts, read your threads? In short, to be "somebody"?
No.

Quote:
If you feel neglected at Apolyton, does this influence your real life? For example, if you feel attacked by another poster, does this make you sad in real life or you don't care? Similarly, if you feel that someone (who you've never met!) likes you, does it make you feel good IRL?
No.

Quote:
II. Apolyton for Apolyton's sake

Is your Apolyton alias something you treasure? Do you want to be respected by other Apolytoners or are you just out to wreak havoc in the fora?
Wreak havoc.

Quote:
Do your posts reflect a desire to be liked or do you want to drive people nuts? In short, do you have a purpose with your Apolyton identity, are you creating a "brand name"?
More toward drive ppl nuts. yeah.. guess im a troll.

Quote:
III. Your Apolyton identity and yourself

Does it reflect who you really are or are you just living out dark sides of your personality that you'd never show in real life? For example, extremely timid and nice boy named Sean uses MalevolantLight to get those scary EyesofNight...
Kinda reflects who i am. I think.