Old March 20, 2000, 18:02   #1
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 02:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Big Huge War Thread: OOC Discussion
OK, this is the place for OOC discussion that are long (ie: issues of unrealism, drastic ones) so we don't clutter up the real thread. This is to keep others in line, etc.
Old March 22, 2000, 18:18   #2
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

OK, well, since no one wants to post here, I'll start. My first proposition includes referendums. I think that people in IC could post to "oversee" the referendums in a nation if ones are to be held, perfably more than one nation in a referendum. Like, in Bill's case of blatantly annexing parts of Canada. Instead, I propose that he ask other nations to oversee it. Other nations will post the results of the referendum, not him. So that way, it's equal and not only one nation has the deciding factor. That's about as close to a real referendum we're gonna get.
Old March 22, 2000, 18:23   #3
Scott F
Prince

Local Time: 01:17
I agree with Mao about the referendums
Old March 22, 2000, 19:01   #4
BasV

So do I. And you can always annex them if the referendum doesn't work out

Old March 22, 2000, 19:10   #5
Napoleon Bonaparte
Prince

Local Time: 06:17
I also concur...

------------------
Almighty ruler and Resident God!!
Old March 22, 2000, 19:10   #6
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Well, if the referendum doesn't work, then it'll have to be taken by force
Old March 22, 2000, 22:26   #7
Bearcat
King

What about Hodad? He just blatantly took Chile. Scene from Post - CHILEAN PARATROOPERS DROP INTO QUITO. ALL OF ECUADOR NOW CHILEAN. I've been fighting Ecuador for about a month game time? He shouldn't be able to just drop troops into their capital and take em.

Scene - CHILEAN TROOPS OOCUPY NEW ZEALAND. Did someone make a final decision on that?
Old March 22, 2000, 23:38   #8
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I don't know, we'll have to ask JT3 or Scott. I agree with you, no way in hell he should take those two
Old March 23, 2000, 15:38   #9
Hodad

Yes. I did.
There is no invasion.
And how come you're fighting Ecuador for a month?
Their power is puny!
Fine then, the Ecuador thingy is off.

Old March 23, 2000, 15:46   #10
Scott F
Prince

*sigh*
The point of a story thread is to have fun, Hodad, not conquer things quickly and try to rule the world. Bearcat is having fun by slowly chipping away at Ecuador.

The power of Ecuador is indeed puny, but no one said that Bearcat was throwing his entire army at them.

And despite their "puny" power, you could never get enough paratroops to conquer them in a single post like that.
Old March 23, 2000, 16:08   #11
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 03:17
One more supporter for referendum!

candidate and probable future president of argentina:
I am Nestor.
Old March 23, 2000, 16:09   #12
Hodad

You're right Scot.
My mistake.
(have you repaired your e-mail?)

Old March 23, 2000, 16:15   #13
Scott F
Prince

My email is fixed now Hodad. There was a problem with sending files through the university email server due to a crash, but they have fixed it.

I will try to get it to you this weekend. I have had several assignments this week and have not had a chance to send it out.
Old March 23, 2000, 16:27   #14
Hodad

Thanks.

Old March 23, 2000, 18:34   #15
Bearcat
King

And another thing Hodad I got tired of posts I was seeing that said their country had attacked some small country like Turkmeistan.At the end of their post it seemed like they had half the country. That made me disgusted so I decided to go slower with Ecuador.
Old March 23, 2000, 23:16   #16
gscott23x3
Prince

Hey all!! I liked Bearcats style of posting in combat with Ecuador, it resembled the way i think South American warfare would be with all the jungles and mountains and stuff, slow and hard even against under equipped troops and nations.

Another thing, my whole country thing is a joke on Fascist nations of WW2. Though i may bash or even attack your nation, dont take it to heart, especially not the bashing, i call the bigger nations the Lords of the Eart in my fascist way. So far, noone has taken it to heart and that is good, just a little comment!!
Old March 23, 2000, 23:44   #17
Captain Kirk

Yeah although I think that in Peru and Ecuador it would be more mountain combat. Which would make for harder combat. Seeings that enemy soldiers could hide in the mountains and rain artillery shells down on your troops.

------------------
Damnit, Jim I'm a doctor not an animal psychologist
Old March 24, 2000, 18:07   #18
Lord Sigma

I find it absurd how quickly France is loosing. France is a modern power with a strong military and simply would loose that fast. Against Germany and Italy, France wouldn't win but it would put up a better fight that this.

And in the USSR, how is jools loosing completly? Sure he can't win but he has the advantages of terrain and also the people in the area are pro-USSR. He probably wouldn't win but he wouldn't be crushed this fast!

All wars should go much slower than whats happening especially against player controlled nations. If germany and russia could so quickly conquer mountainous terrain why did it to so long for me to conquer new england when i had no standing army opposing me?

Ok, thats my rant for now. While Germany and Russia would almost surely win the wars they are in in real life, it would take much longer. Much longer as in years. And casualties for french forces should be lower than those of the attackers since they would have the advantage of fortifications and a friendly civilian populace.

Old March 24, 2000, 19:02   #19
BasV

Well, although the German advance is going pretty (maybe too) rapidly at the moment, the Indian advance is utterly ridiculous. There's no way India could get enough troops over there in such a short time span, and even then, they would have a very hard time fighting off the French, Spanish and North African troops in North Africa. In fact, I'd say that Spartan should be able to drive them back pretty easily. The capturing of such a large chunk of land on the Iberian peninsula is even more ridiculous. But I haven't seen Spartan posting for the last few days anyway, so I guess that he needs to be contacted first to see whether he'll carry on with the war or not. I propose a time-freeze on the conflict until it is known whether Spartan will actually fight back.

Old March 24, 2000, 20:55   #20
Scott F
Prince

As I have pointed out before, the military situation for the NSF, which was once Franco-Spain is poor.

At the start of the thread, Franco-Spain lost a war to Italy (which was then controlled by Spartan). Spartan, partly due to the fact the Du can't battle post if his life depended on it, was able to smash the army and navy of Franco-Spain.

Since that time, Du did nothing to rebuild his military. In fact, he sold many tanks, planes, and ships to other nations (mostly Brazil). Du then spent all of this money on high speed railroad lines, rather than rebuilding his military.

Du sent much of his Army to defend Quebec.

Du left Franco-Spain, which Spartan then took control of. Spartan proceeded to loose Quebec. He had many troops there. They were badly mauled by the CW, as was what was left of his navy and air forces.

Spartan started to withdraw from Quebec. He never withdrew all of his troops from Quebec, however. Spartan started a program to rebuild his military, but it will take a while.

The IRL nations of the NSF can field 600,000 men. Germany can currently field 1,500,000 men. Spartan has few tanks and planes left. He still has most of his army. Two-thirds of it remains at large in the field. The rest is holed up in Paris. The forces from Quebec are one their way to Algieria, according to Spartan (with the immigrants). You could assume that they have arrived already.

France has no fortifications. World War Two proved that fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man, in any event.

Now for the clencher. When France is in a war with Germany, it ends one of two ways. It is either over very fast, or it drags on for years. Given the poor military situation for the NSF before the German attack, I would say that this will end very fast. And Sigma, I never even mentioned the casualty numbers. I am not as much of a numbers man as DV is.

As for the speed of the German advance, you will notice that the NSF Armies have been badly damaged, not destroyed. They are falling back to regroup. I expect that future advances will face more organized resistance.

I don't know about India. I question the ability of India to transport such a huge amount of men and equipment and keep them supplied. Given that most of what Polaris took in Africa is nothing but desert, he could overrun it easily.

I do not really think he can grab so much of Spain and Portugal so fast.

Now for Scandinavia. In all, the RL nations of Scandinavia can field at the most, 500 tanks or two divisions. I attacked them with four. Their air force is small, as is their navy. Coug did nothing to change this. Jools still has all of unoccupied Norway west of Hammerfast to play with. He also has partisans in Northern Norway and Finland to cause harassment.

The population density in New England, Sigma, is much higher than that in Scandinavia.
Old March 24, 2000, 20:59   #21
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I agree with Bas. It's not fair just to overrun someone's country while they have no time to respond. There is not "you snooze you lose" during wars rule in story threads. It's only fair that you give him time to respond. Maybe he's sick or something. How would you feel if you had half your country overrun because you were on vacation or were sick.
Old March 24, 2000, 21:03   #22
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

About Iberia: There's no way India has the capability to land troops on a hostile plane of battle. They simple don't have the landing ships for it so they can't land. They would have to capture a port, which they can't do because NSF still has a navy and air force to defend against him. It would take a hell of a lot longer. India currently doesn't have enough landing ships to bring that many troops to take that much land anyway. You have to build them, and it took me a year and a half to equip an army.
Old March 24, 2000, 21:06   #23
Scott F
Prince

Mao does make a good point.

I will halt the German advance where it stands until Spartan posts again, or someone hears from him.
Old March 24, 2000, 21:10   #24
Lord Sigma

I guess your right on the Scandinavia and French fronts. I just don't like france crumbling so quickly especially with Spartan apparently sick or on vacation.

The whole indian thing on the other hand is dubious. Polaris could easily cross the sahara but it would take time. For one thing, tanks don't cross sand dunes very well. The same goes for heavy trucks, hell all vehicles would have a hell of a time. Then you also consider logistics. Getting enough oil, food, and especially water for a large army to cross the worlds largest desert would take quite awhile. I don't think indian could even have done very much in northern Africa let alone capturing much of Iberia. Well thats just my $.02 anyway. Like i said, i don't really like a large modern world power crumbling in less than a month......

Old March 24, 2000, 22:08   #25
Bearcat
King

I don't want to be rude to Spartan or anything but when I went on vacation I told you guys. I was in a war with the CTA and the UDSA and I didn't want to get screwed like what's happening to Spartan right now. If you're sick it's one thing but I think it should be general knowledge to let people know if your going on vacation so you don't get your butt kicked while you're away.
Old March 24, 2000, 22:45   #26
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Bearcat, you have to remember that this is for fun, and that we should allow everyone to have fun, and getting your butt whooped while you can't post for some reason is not only not fun, but it's also unfair. You have to give the player you're attacking time to respond, only common courtesy. If Spartan quit, then he should post his resignation and then we'll treat it like a NPC.

Scott, this is how the referendum thing worked in W99, and how I believe it should work here:

Country A, the country trying to annex country B, will ask some countries in character to oversee referendums in country B. Country B will then be divided up into a number of regions pending on how many nations are to oversee the referendum. After a certain amount of time (let's say a month or so) the overseer countries report on their regions and the vote numbers (ie: X% supports annexation and Y% oppose it). If the majority of the regions go for annexation, the country gets annexed.

Now another thing could happen after the votes too: If the number of regions for annexation is very close to the number that oppose it, the country could be split into an independent region and a colonial region. Or a civil war could start. A civil war would be a good place for Jools to enter the thread again (*hint hint*), but the conflict between the two factions will be the responsibility of the moderator(s) to decide if it is feasible to happen or not.
Old March 25, 2000, 09:20   #27
BasV

I propose doing such referenda in the African countries which have been recently annexed by the CW, IMO there's no way they will join the CW voluntarily.

Old March 25, 2000, 11:15   #28
gscott23x3
Prince

Well i wasnt annexing them willingly...i am planning to attack and occupy them but we can try out the referendum if you want to...yeah thats a good idea...it would give us a chance to try it...i will have the referendum now!
Old March 25, 2000, 14:37   #29
gscott23x3
Prince

I asked for the referendum on the UN General Assembly floor...please respond all posts there!!
Old March 25, 2000, 17:01   #30
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Hey everyone, I am thinking I might like to join, but I have one or two questions. . .

What year is this?

What is the political situation of Imperial China?

What is the current state of Tibet and religous freedom in China?