View Poll Results: Should I upgrade Windows 98SE?
Yes upgrade to windows 2000 1 1.92%
Yes upgrade to Windows ME 1 1.92%
Yes upgrade to Windows XP 12 23.08%
Yes upgrade to Windows XP pro 18 34.62%
Yes upgrade to linux (never going to happen for me though) 4 7.69%
Yes upgrade to DOS 2 3.85%
No, do not upgrade- 98SE is fine 11 21.15%
Get a Mac or a banana- they have the same usefulness for computing 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 16, 2003, 09:27   #61
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 09:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
oh, when you install winxp pro.

ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU FORMAT THE DRIVE WITH NTFS!

you don't want FAT32. at all.
Old December 16, 2003, 10:30   #62
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:35
Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever
you don't need anything like 512 to run XP, I've got a laptop with 192 that runs XP Pro just fine
I know it runs fine with 128 MB, since that's what I had when I first installed a late beta... it ran great, no problems... the problems first occured as I also wanted to play Civ3, since it was very slow

And back then I had a Voodoo 3 3000 card, which isn't suported in WinXP
Old December 16, 2003, 10:36   #63
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 15:35
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
And back then I had a Voodoo 3 3000 card, which isn't suported in WinXP
I upgraded to WinXP and have no problems with my Voodoo 3 2000. Am I missing something?
Old December 16, 2003, 12:28   #64
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
what i've done with my dell 8100:

came with 1.7ghz, 256mb ram, 60gb hd, 1 cdrw.

i added a second cdrw and an 80gb hd... those were easy as pie, shouldn't be too hard for you either.

as for ram, i had to order two sticks, which set me back more than i'd budgeted for it (2x256 = 512) for an end total of 768mb, and if i remember right, you'll have to move the power supply to get to the ram sockets. the latch is right next to the green vent for the cpu, and it hinges out.

i haven't changed my graphics card, but i might do that sometime soon. that's just a matter of popping out your old one and plugging in the new one--it *should* work with no problems.
I too have an 8100. I too upgraded the ram to 768 and slapped in a new harddrive. I also added in a new video card. Unfortunately something went horribly wrong and the psu couldn't take the new parts. A day or so after the harddrive was installed, the psu popped a fuse or something. Had to order a new custom made psu from someplace online, as dell doesn't use the standard stuff at best buy. sucked ass. Biggest problem with the pc (second being the expense of the new rdram, ouch)
Old December 16, 2003, 12:34   #65
Q Classic
Emperor

really? my psu's been chugging along fine after being turned on almost 24/7... guess it's luck.

but yeah, most of the big vendors (dell, gateway, hp/compaq...) tend to use customized parts, which is infuriating.
Old December 16, 2003, 12:54   #66
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 06:35
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
I never understood all the ill will towards ME, for my money, it's still the best OS microsoft has ever made.
ME caused a lot of instability issues with a lot of people's computers - if you're lucky enough to have no driver or device compatibility issues, then it probably wouldn't give you a problem, but I found it absolutely horrible with both my SCSI adapter at the time (Adaptec 2940 UW, which is a very common, well behaved SCSI adapter) and with my Wacom pen tablet.

I averaged 5 or 6 hangs and freezes a day with it, on hardware that ran just fine with both Win98 and later Win2k.
Old December 16, 2003, 12:59   #67
Q Classic
Emperor

me is not the best os microsoft has ever put out. it is windows 98 with a few new window dressings, and then dos taken out with a chainsaw.

my dell 8100 came with it preinstalled. the second day i used it--without having installed anything, without having done anything to it except turn it on and register it--it gave me a blue screen, and then never booted right again.

if that's the best os microsoft has ever made, then i'm mystified what xp is, because i've never had a stability problem with xp. its longest uptime has been close to two or three weeks.
Old December 16, 2003, 16:22   #68
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:35
I already upgraded to XP I mentioned in an earlier post. My video card and sound cards didn't work right so I degraded to Windows 98SE again. Xp has a nice feature that allows you to uninstall XP and go back to the previous version of windows
Old December 16, 2003, 16:40   #69
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Dissident: About upgrading...see my post above ^^^^

Asmodean
Old December 16, 2003, 20:19   #70
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 08:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Claiming that people's purchased itunes music would necessarily be wiped if they left the US (Drake is still enjoying his in Japan). That was one of the last ones, there were others.
This is about the 10th time you've used this same example, yet it's also the 10th time that I've debunked it: http://politechbot.com/p-04993.html

I did not make it up, it DID happen. It does not happen anymore because of the backlash. As someone who purports to teaching Philosophy you should be able to understand that because something is so now, doesn't mean it always was. That's pretty basic stuff, actually.

So you've either got the intellectual capacity of a three year old, or you're being a deceptive bastard as you usually are.

I don't think I need to mention how ironic it is that you consistently say I "make stuff up", and you consistently use the same example, and I've consistently shown evidence that I did not make it up. Obviously, it's you making stuff up.

Quote:
Nope. I never invented anything.
And you never will until you show some coherent thought process.

Quote:
*points to Asher's various remarks about other posters' family members, sig others, etc. that started that whole business.
Oh, please. Not this again.
The "remark about other posters' family members" was a retaliation against JohnT for the same. He said people my age have "low standards", an obvious dig at my choice of my SO and an insult to him. I responded that "at least people my age don't have saggy breasts" with a wink. I respond to insults in kind, so don't pull that crap on me. That's why no mod saw it fit for action, because both comments from both parties were followed by winks -- and frankly, JohnT asked for it by making his veiled SO-attack.

Further, you've directly insulted my SO over six times without any provocation of the same kind, and you got a nice long vacation for it.

So please don't take this "high and mighty" view of it, you were the one with the disgusting behavior and childish attacks, not me. It was not fair of you to try to whitewash your role in all of this while slandering me with lies while you thought I would not respond. That's low, and that's very much something I have come to expect from you.

Quote:
I don't care about that idiot anyway, he's on perma ignore if he ever comes back
I've been on your "perma ignore" for months, and I know you're reading this as well. You're not fooling anyone.

Quote:
and UR being moderator will ensure that computer discussions are fun and useful to everyone.
Oh, indeed. Racist moderators who advocate censorship with fanatical support for open source software will ensure fair and fun discussions for all! It's not like UR already has a record for closing threads which would counter his viewpoints on how fast people care their computers are, right?
Old December 17, 2003, 08:28   #71
Q Classic
Emperor

looking for another vacation sometime soon?

and what's wrong with fanatical support for oss?

and i don't disagree with most of the rest, too.

Old December 17, 2003, 08:47   #72
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Old December 17, 2003, 13:11   #73
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 15:35
So far, I haven't... What I did do was grab all the security fixes for 98 before they axed their upgrade link on the MS website.

Mind you, I do have an XP Athlon and 512Mb of RAM, so I don't really notice that it's slow.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old December 17, 2003, 13:35   #74
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Just a litttle reminder... what was in the past is IN THE PAST.

Let's not dig up all the old crap... or some people are going to get restricted...
Old December 17, 2003, 14:37   #75
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
I upgraded to WinXP and have no problems with my Voodoo 3 2000. Am I missing something?
You can run windows, and most games, with a Voodoo card (Or at least: You could... nowadays not much runs on Voodoo, but that's another story), but a few games had problems when using the unofficial Voodoo drivers in WinXP (Graphics looking very weird and such)
Old December 17, 2003, 15:57   #76
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 17:35
He, my w95 still runs well...
Old December 17, 2003, 15:59   #77
Q Classic
Emperor

so does my windows 3.1.