Old December 16, 2003, 00:48   #1
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
5th Destroyer Squadron
“I am only reporting the one sighting, sir” the leading seaman barked.

“One, that is a turn up for the books” replied Destroyer Captain John O’Malley, “Lets get the rest of the squadron into ‘set 17’ positions, it may well be only one squib, but it is also a great time for more training. Mr Johannson, lets us bring the group to Battle Stations.”

At this the young officer of the deck stood straight and pround, flicked a switch at shoulder level and set the klaxons blaring three fast tones, then “battle stations, battle stations, this is not a drill”

Next a short prepared message was laser lighted directly throughout the squadron of 9 destroyers, bringing them instantly to Battle Stations and letting them know their Commodores wishs of position ‘Set 17’.

Captain John O’Malley, farm boy, who did not even see water wider than a river until he was 20, had come along way in the past seven years. Some would say that promotion is always easy to secure in the time of war, which would be an easy statement if we were actually losing ships and crew.

The 5th destroyer squadron had orders to patrol along the Chinese coast looking for any German activity. The goal would be the pocket battleship ‘Hiedelburg’ or the Heavey Cruiser ‘Munich’, either of which are rumoured in these waters at this time. These German raiders had been nothing but a thorn in the side of our Chinese Allies.

So far we had taken out three German submarines, a long distant patrol boat and four destroyers along with three auxillary ships – tenders of various sorts. Today we had another single destroyer in our sights.

The 5th Destroyer squadron expertly formed into position, quickly taking their respective positions. Various messages were sent advising the German unit that surrender was still an Honourable option in the face of such odds. This was answered as expected, the German destroyer increased speed and headed straight at its nearest enemy, and with a puff of smoke from it’s deck the first volley was fired.

“O’Malley to all ships, hold your fire. McNaow (Captain of the ‘Background’) fire a full set.”

With this the ‘Background’ opened up its guns in introduction.

The German destroyer continued in, and continued to fire.

“O’Malley to all ships, ‘Set 17 Delta, I repeat Delta’ all fire.”

With this order seven of the squadrons destroyers opened fire, while the remaining two dropped back to conduct a clockwise circle of the group.

Within moments the German Destroyer was listing badly, taking water from several holes, then fires and think smoke started to raise themselves.

“O’Malley here, cease fire, all ships cease fire.”

“Mr Johannson, get word to the ‘IrishBanga’ that she is to secure for survivors. Then word to ‘Call Centre Command’ on this matter.”

“Mr Johannson, lets us bring the group down from Battle Stations now, and we will resume our course as soon as the ‘IrishBanga’ has completed collecting the survivors. I will be in my ready room if you need me.”
Old December 16, 2003, 17:10   #2
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:41
Looks interesting, has the potential... most certainly.

Keep it up.
Old December 18, 2003, 02:27   #3
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

The dirt hung in the air like leaves on a tree, seemingly just swaying in place. Your head rolls to the left, then to the right, your lips start to part. Your neck twitches, causing your face to hit into the rubble. Your eye lid opens, you scan around and realise you are lying down and nothing looks right. As you suck in some air you are racked with a fit of coughing, pain, lungs, pain, throat, even more pain in your eyes. As the coughing subsides, you start to stand up, you double over and slam into the ground. Several minutes later you make another attempt to at standing, this time taking care in your movements.

In the distance your eyes are attracted to movement, and in the space of minute’s men in very black suits surround you. They are talking to you, but you can hear nothing. They are reaching out and touching you for reasons that feel strange. Looking around, you notice a bluish carpet amongst the rubble, seeming to be important to you. Then you spot the first limb, then a torso, more covered in dirt and stone than in blood, but it is a decimated body. Looking around you soon realise that there are more body parts than are needed for one body, actually that dress over there looks vaguely familiar. You start to sit again, but strong arms reach out and support you. One of the men again looks you in the eye and you see his mouth going up and down, but nothing makes any sense. Who are these guys, where are you and are they gun in their hands are the only thoughts flooding your brain now.

Then suddenly you are lifted by three of the team; they carry you expertly through the rubble, past destruction that is so hard to describe. It does not take these determined men long to bring you to a secure doorway that is in the floor. As the group approaches the door bursts open and another 5 dark suited men emerge and take up positions around the doorway. As they carried you down the long wide stairs you realised that there are uniformed men along the walls, several looking away from the entrance and silently nodding at you and smiling. Where are you? Where are they taking you? At least the air is clean here.

Soon the men come to a halt, doors open and you are taken in to a medical room and sat upon a bed. At this the men stand back to be replaced by several people in white coats. They spend a few short minutes trying to get through to you and looking you over. Then one of them flips the screen on his pad and writes, ‘Mr Vice President, can you understand these words?’ Placing this in front of you to read.

Your eyes widen, your heart thumps, you sit back and try to speak, but only a groan escapes. The doctor steps closer, advising you with his hand to not talk. He then writes some more on the pad ‘Please lie down and allow my team to examine you thoroughly. You have several injuries and we need to determine how many.’ For the next ten to fifteen minutes you are thoroughly examined. You lay there through this process, trying hard to put it all together.
Old December 19, 2003, 13:22   #4
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 15:41
Good stuff Paddy most intrigueing Just one thing you seem to have jumped to a different scene in the second post and I have no idea where this part of the story is taking place!

I would hazard a guess that its at the nations palace or government HQ but which Nation and which city/palace ?

Only minor details but it would be better if you could clear these things up
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 19, 2003, 13:52   #5
Paddy
Prince

-----------------------------------------
Ahhh Chris, you are onto me here, glad you like the intrigue, that was my main intention in starting this story.

Thanks for the feedback. As to not giving much information on locations etc in the 2nd post, well I was trying to show it from the individuals perspective, and 'he' had no idea where he was, or what had taken place.

One of my goals of this story is to give a few points of view of one period. It is my hope that this will be intriguing and coherent enough to lead readers to coming back for posts 5, 7 & 10 etc.

A passion of mine is reading the daily newspaper, and through them I am constantly aware of all of the different things that are happening at the same time. Usually they happen in different places, but not always. So I am trying to show this story from a few perceptions, and my goal is to lead / tie them all together in a common framework ie: The 5th Destroyer Squadron

Should be some more on this in the coming days. I have no hurdles in front of me at the moment to hinder any writing. Enjoy
-----------------------------------------
Old December 19, 2003, 14:10   #6
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

As long as you know where your going thats good enough for me Cant wait to see how this unfolds so bring it on Paddy
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 19, 2003, 14:16   #7
Paddy
Prince

hahaha, yeah, my girl made me do out a 'roadmap' of my story... should be interesting
I even have permission to throw the story into 4x4 every now and then if I feel like it.

I understand that the 'roadmap' is just so I can keep to some sort of track and fill in the gaps as the game progresses.
Old December 24, 2003, 08:01   #8
Mickeyj
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

Looks good Paddy, I reckon once you're finished all the "articles" tie them all together and give it one last edit to ensure the framework works.
Old December 26, 2003, 06:26   #9
Rubychaser
C3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG The Horde
King

oh so the pom writes as well as plays badly

story makes no sense yet
Old December 26, 2003, 17:27   #10
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:41
I like this kind of format. If done properly, it gives you a "wow!" feeling when it all comes together. So far this appears to be a very intriguing and interesting start. Can't wait to see more Paddy!
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old December 26, 2003, 20:15   #11
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Okay we're waiting to see how these connect and if that naval situation will be resolved. Be careful about Chrisius, he'll predict your story because he's a real fart smeller.... oops... I mean smart feller.

Paddy the Scot, have another beer.
Old December 27, 2003, 08:54   #12
Paddy
Prince

****Captains Personal Log****

The report of nuclear actions throughout the homeland has hit the squadron hard. We are to come along side Admiral Aileffe’s Third Fleet in the next 16 hours. It is my understanding from the flash traffic that Third fleet is going into Harms way, we are sailing for Exacting Bay. As I have studied my maps on Exacting Bay, I can see how much of an issue we are about to be to the Germans.

With the combined forces that I expect will be undersail Admiral Aileffe’s Third Fleet we will really be placing the Germanic Horde in a bind. The placement of Exacting Bay allows us to be within missile range of 16 major cities, including “das capital.” Yet I do not believe that we will let the nukes fly. If Missile Command were letting the Nukes out, we would be heading in the other direction is the best I can surmise.

Third fleets main asset is the 15 Long-Ready Transports, that hold several battle hardened Armies and assorted units. I should also add that I believe the 19th Carrier Group will be also in attendance. The powers that be are going to put on quite a show. I wonder if we will be an occupying force or a force of destruction.

It is my understanding that the squadron will remain intact when we merge with Third Fleet. Although for how long this will remain to be seen. Administration Major-General Mary Sosu Ewing will have model out her standards and be more than will to chop and change the fleet configuration to meet Admiral Aileffe’s requirements. It has been my pleasure to guide the Squadron through the last years, and the many engagements that we have fought.

Drills have been running well; the crews have a renewed vigor, which I solely place at the feet of the explosions. At our last Captains meeting, the air was quite thick with a grim sort of determination that except for the level of professionalism could have bubbled into a very vicious anger.

We are little sad that we did not get a chance at the Munich, but we are honest enough to understand that our squadron would have been severly mauled if we had of been the group that did take the Munich Battle Group on. As it was, several of our ships were damaged beyond repair and were scuttled after the battle. The only justifing factor is that the German Battle Group were also put to the bottom of the ocean.

On a lighter note, CPO Belinda Green has delivered a beautiful baby girl, Samantha Rose. Our second birth in 6 months, we now have 11 children in the Squadron. It is hard being in a combat situation, knowing that we have civilians on board, adding to this that 11 of them are under the age of 13 does not really help me. Yet I must say, that crew moral definitely lifts around the time of each birth and child’s birthday. I know that on board here I have 27 hearty souls who were born into the fleet on the high seas and have stayed on, I must look over the files of the Squadron for how many we have in total.

I am quite looking forward to seeing my nephew Harrison. He is a Jump Sargent in 335th Tank Regiment that is a part of the Third Fleet. I get a good laugh with him as to he being a Wetface (Navy) while having signed up and deployed with the Ants (Army). The 335th has spent more time at sea than on land in the last 20 years.

****End Captains Personal Log****
Old December 27, 2003, 10:32   #13
Paddy
Prince

The training had been intense; the situations had been always so in-depth. The planners liked to go further than required. So much detail, just so much detail. Then you also had to get your official functions preformed, sometimes wondering if you were wasting time on all of these role-plays. And then it happens for real, no acting this time, no people just sitting around acting dead because the Marshall’s say that they are. Real bodies, real limbs, real lives. And that really is a decimated capital city that you were evacuated from last week. So much destruction, so much lose, so much hatred in our people. The face of war is getting uglier by the year.

Looking around you are facing a small group of advisors and 6 massive wall monitors, some showing maps, one a Fleet cutting through an ocean, another a satellite image of a gigantic bay. A bay that you are being briefed on at this very moment. Yes there he is, some unknown General, oh yeah what is his name, droning on about the size of the Fleet.

“… and we expect less than 27% casualties in the first landing. This landing will be followed up by a further 2 landings at the same location as now highlight on screen Echo. As you can clearly see the 19 Carrier Group has joined in with the Third Fleet…”

Yes he really is droning on. Looking around you notice that the Battle Command Room is really well proportioned, and the colours really are conducive with making decisons. You then get an Airman’s attention and request a refill of coffee, reaching for a sandwich you signal the General to continue.

“Well Mr. President, It should be noted that we will have quite a sizeable force on German soil. We have sketchy intelligence as to their full battle composition in the Hordelands, but we do expect quite a bit of opposition. To this end we would like your final approval to immediately remove all of the transports from Exacting Bay to the Chinese Peninsula. As discussed with you earlier, we would then embark the many units that we have rushing to that location at this time. These would then be transported from China to the Germanic Hordeland. If you could look to screen Beta. We have prepared the following diagram of the events. Please note that the newly commissioned Eighty Fifth Fleet will be able to rendezvous with the transports shortly after there arrival at the peninsula, this allows us to be able to dispatch only a small covering force for the transports journey from Germany to China. Thus leaving the Third Fleet to range havoc and supporting operations with our ground forces.”

“General Marc’s,” the Minister for Power and Water, Gerald Robertson started up again “will we really be able to get enough forces to the peninsula in time for them to arrive in Hordeland and be effective, or have we bitten off more than we can chew?”

Ah, now there goes Robertson again, he is keeping this tinshoe Ants in line, lots of questions, always probing. You sit back and observe this group interacting for the next while. It is good to let experienced professionals cover off the options.

Robertson starts to really get under the skin of the General, he has quite a few notes in front of him, calling statistics for food, ammunition, even some special engine oil for the tanks of the 335th Regiment, that will be deployed at Exacting Bay.

Air Marshall Nicola Hanworth then wades fully into the briefing. Having sat quietly and allowed General Marc’s to get through so much she is right back at Robertson with her own well prepared notes. She is even relaxed enough to quote Admiral Naggahama’s own report on the Naval Departments current status, much to the good grace of Admiral Naggahama.

With a gentle nod of your head you speak up. “I see that we have many details that will need to be fine tuned, but the current point on this meetings agenda is,” looking down you read off point 7 of today’s ‘Battle Command Agenda’

“The resupply and support of the Landing at Exacting Bay. Unless there are any serious objections, I would like to see the transports dispatched with appropriate cover for the Chinese Peninsula as soon as possible, thus meeting up with the Eighty Fifth Battle Group, Taking on board all who are able to make there way to this location.”

Looking around the room, all eyes are on you. Reaching for your pen, you tick the item off. “OK moving onto item 8 – We have a request for further food and medical aid from the Zulu people. How are we going to assist them at this time….”
Old December 27, 2003, 14:27   #14
Paddy
Prince

Exacting Bay
Water, more water, water overthere, outthere water, even water in here, that is all I can see at this level. Occasionally the landing craft is thrown by a wave and I see the black clouds in the sky. They are bumper clouds up there, as if the heavens know our purpose this day, and are preparing there own bombardment on both sides of the engagement.

As an Operations Major of the 359th Tank Regiment you could possibly hope that I would be up in the tower readying details of some sort or another. No, not today, we are locked and loaded, every tank and carrier is ready for the doors of this landing craft to crash open and for us to disembark. I am sitting at one of the forward gun slits in this mighty metal monster, the pride of our nation, the Bleacher 2Z Battle Tank. I am in the first tank on the 9th lander of the second wave. The Jump Sargent has been on the radio notifying all crews that we have 65 mins to go before we hit beach 77359AASD, or Hordeland. We are going in, this is real retribution for so many injuries of this war, of them exploding such devices in the land of our children.

I am not sure of the casualties of the first wave, but is understood that a beachhead has been secured. We have our operational orders, basically we are to get onshore asap, then group at the Gamma site, then moving in Full Combat mode to the northern line of the landing site. Then we are to dig in and await further orders, to rush to someone’s assistance, defend at all costs, or move out it the surrounding countryside.

If / when we do get orders to move out, our group will be heading over to Hiedleburg, and sizable city on the Northern edges of the bay. Some intel of what we are going to be facing would be good, but in this situation that would be very hard to come by.

I know that we will mate up with the 299th Mech and the 355th Tank as we have in many previous engagements. My report stats that we will also be joined by 3 extra tank groups and 2 artillery groups from the third landing wave.

It is understood that the third wave will disembark directly from their Long-Ready transports. But no timetable has been scheduled for them joining up with us, basically because we have never landed in Hordeland before. I hope that we are not waiting on them too long.

Above I can here the high powered whirl of our Airmachines, they are heading back out to the fleet, they have the life… ok so I would not trade them a moment of time, hahahaha

The Bleacher is a great machine, hard tracks that have conquered many a terrain, able to put serious shells into enemy position and provide us with plenty of thick armoured cover. I bet those flyboys would like some of this under their seats.

Ah now all I need is patience, just a little patience. Turning I reach for a headphone and crank up the music a bit more…
Old December 27, 2003, 14:46   #15
Paddy
Prince

For six days now we have pushed these tincans through the water, ever changing our patterns, ever trying to cover the thirteen remaining Long-Ready Transports as we transit from Exacting Bay in Germany to the Jang Peninsula in China.

The convoy started out with fifteen Long-Ready Transports and my nine Destroyers of the 5th Destroyer Squadron. It was nearing dawn on the 2nd day when the German subs pounced, swiftly sinking one Transport, and mortally wounding another. Oh how the Captain and crew of the second Long-Ready Transport fought to save their vessel, but eventually I had to declare it gone, remove the crew and scuttle it.

All the while searching the waters for the terrors of the deep.

We have hit a speed run with good water, I have a screen running before us, actively bombarding the water with sonar. I am not running quietly for sure, but my mission is to get these luggers to the Jang Peninsula ASAP.

We have good comms with the on coming EightyFifth Fleet. They have sent forth several of their available vessels, into our cruise path, hunting any prey that may be trying to hide from us. Also the Chinese have let lose a pack of their submarines into the area hunting any Germanic vessel they can find. It is hoped that there will not be any incidents between our two allied nations at this time, but we are all running very tense at this time.
Old December 27, 2003, 22:44   #16
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:41
The tensions and anticipations of war seem to be growing nicely. Can't wait to hear more!
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old December 28, 2003, 12:04   #17
Paddy
Prince

WORLD DISPATCH NEWS
the paper of the people

The Peace Corp prepares to fly 200 tonnes of aid to victims of English Invasion of the Germanic Hordeland.

The International Committee of the Peace Corp has said it had 200 tonnes of medical supplies, tents, blankets and bedding based in Scopute and ready to fly to Southeastern Germany for survivors of the invasion. Peace Corp spokesman Tteete MacBride said an Extra-Large aircraft chartered from Zululand’s national flag carrier, Spear Air, would start shuttling between the Scopute, and the devastated countryside of Germany on Wednesday. "Twenty-five Tonnes of supplies have already been loaded," he said.

Mr. MacBride added that helicopters had already made the 700 kilometre journey from bases in the nearby Greco Kingdom, with more loads to follow soon. The supplies had been stockpiled in the Greco Kingdom for just such an occurrence in the British – Germanic War. He went on to add that they were being delivered to the outside the ruins of the former city of Marxburg.

for more see page 5

Negotiations with Russia must start from scratch – Fortress Ironfield

Any negotiations with Russia must start from scratch rather than resume at the point where they were frozen nearly six years ago, Air Marshall Nicola Hanworth told Tuesday’s cabinet meeting.
Questioned about the possibility of a withdrawal from the Russian State of Prroo, occupied by the British for some 70 years, to the Jang Peninsula in the Chinese lands. Air Marshall Hanworth said that any negotiations with St Petersburg "are to go back to the very beginning".

Air Marshall Hanworth, known for her tough stance on the war with St Petersburg, refused to go back to the position adopted by her predecessor which had envisaged the full destruction of the Russian nation.

Air Marshall Plaid had, however, insisted maintaining control over the main rail conduit from Russia into China, with a presence on a narrow strip of land along the far side of the two nations to the Jang Peninsula.

Russia has been demanding a resumption of negotiations "at the point where they were stopped" some years ago.
At the beginning of December, Russian Speaker Anddrinotof on the Zulu nation to exert its support for renewed negotiations with Britain and China, so as to normalize the two neighbours' relations.

"Negotiations should be resumed from the point at which they had stopped simply because we have achieved a great deal in these negotiations," Mr. Anddrinotof told the Bulging Waggler.

In the aftermath of Mr. Anddrinotof ‘s interview it was found that the offer to revive talks was encouraging but insufficient yet still the bulk of British troops have definitely decamped and have been seen moving in great convoys across these two large nations to the Jang Peninsula.

for more see page 17

Three German children and a British soldier killed in Heidleburg bomb blast

An explosion in the Germany City of Hiedleburg has killed one British soldier and three Germany children. A British military spokesman says at least 53 other people were injured in the roadside blast.

Colonel Sam Black states that the explosion took place in a central buss terminus. He says the home made bomb was detonated as a convoy was passing by.

"British soldiers were on a mounted patrol and that's when the home made bomb was detonated. At 11.47am (local time)," said Jump Sargent Harrison O’Malley of the 335th Bleacher Tank Regiment.

"Three children were killed along with one British soldier", Mr. Smedley said.

Sixteen British soldiers, several Germany interpreters and numerous commuters were also wounded in the attack.
Earlier a military spokesman had described the attack as a dastardly attack.

for more see page 3

Robinson rejects Manutes Poisoned Water claims

The Minister for Power and Water, Gerald Robertson has thoroughly denied Ernesto Manutes claims of several waterways throughout our nation being attacked via Bio Chemical weapons.

It has been reported throughout the Carthaginian press that the British press has been ordered to suppress any stories on this subject. They go on to announce that areas of the British homeland are quarantined from such outbreaks. These reports are untrue, we have not been requested to suppress any such story at 6this time, and we also know of no area within our country that has been quarantined.

Ernesto Manutes made his controversial claim that there was massive evidence of a huge cover-up within our nation.
Those comments, have been questioned quite heavily and dismissed from many quarters.

Mr. Robertson stated that the opinions of Mr. Manutes are not that of the ruling government, and that it appears that Mr. Manutes comments were aimed at undermining the government for his own purposes.

story continues on page 2
for more see page 5
for more see editorial on page 23

Last edited by Paddy; December 28, 2003 at 12:11.
Old January 2, 2004, 19:03   #18
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Excellent stuff Paddy, tell me has any one story you have read here given inspiration for this piece ?

It reminds of one of WTE Ozwolfs epics.

Very much looking forward to seeing where you go with this
Old January 2, 2004, 19:14   #19
Paddy
Prince

I am glad that you are enjoying this. I must get into the archives for WTE Ozwolfs epics. They do not spring to mind, but there have been so many great stories here over the years that I am more than sure various styles have rubbed off.

I have been a fan of Tom Clancy for some years, and enjoy the way he shuffles about with his stories, so in some ways I am trying to get that feel.

As to the content, I found that with "The People of the Valley" I had spent so many years in the dark ages, those ancient years, that I wanted to dispense with the history and get right into the modern day. And this was a messy game. I have tried to stay true to the game, but that is not always possible.
Old January 4, 2004, 11:00   #20
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Dude, hurry up with the hordeland fight and never mind all this petty terrorism. I wanna see some gunfire and slaughter.
Old January 6, 2004, 20:39   #21
Paddy
Prince

The radio squawked “13th Artillery here, firing in 5 minutes” blared from the speakerphone. We looked at each other. Was this foxhole big enough, were the men dug in well enough, what about the green replacements making up Charlie Company. Would our artillery guys shot over us and into the enemy positions? So many questions.
The radio squawked “Regiment here, code 17, code 17, ready all for plan alpha…”
The radio squawked “Hillary Hamstead hear, can I talk with Sgt Matthew Hamstead, please?” “Ah, Mrs Hamstead, to be sure this is not a good time.”
The radio squawked “Boondoggie patrol here sir, I have a sighting in the northern wood, you were right sir, they are moving through there.”
The radio squawked “Dog Company to Able Company, Dog Company to Able Company, we are preparing to pass through your position…”
The radio squawked “Charlie company all dug in sir”
The radio squawked “Dog company, bark sir”
The radio squawked”Able company all dug in sir”
The radio squawked “Dog company ready to roll sir”
The radio squawked “3rd Battalion to Regiment, 3rd Battalion to Regiment, we are under small arms attack..

Artillary fire sounds behind you, shells explode to your front….

The radio squawked “… all over the…than we can…could you… let us..

The radio squawked “355th Bleachers moving now…

The radio squawked “Charlie campany here sir, we have movement all along the line”
The radio squawked “Able to Dog, Able to Dog, all quiet here”

The radio squawked “Dog company moving now”
The radio squawked “417th Mountain Rangers CHARGE…..”

The radio squawked “Charlie company under heavy attack”
The radio squawked “Bravo, Bravo, move forward to reinforce Charlie”
The radio squawked “Bravo here, did you want something?”

The radio squawked “Bravo, Bravo, move forward to reinforce Charlie”
The radio squawked “OK, no need to get your nickers in a twist”
The radio squawked “This is Charlie, our Captain is dead”
The radio squawked “It is alright son, hold your lads, Bravo is on its way”
The radio squawked “Wilkie here, can we have some mortar support?”
The radio squawked “what is your ref Wilkie?
The radio squawked “Hill 04013909PR1 east”
The radio squawked “355th approaching the 15th line”
The radio squawked “3rd Battalion to Regiment, all holding well here”
The radio squawked “Help, we are being over run, where is anybody”
The radio squawked “Who are you son, which unit?”

The radio squawked “…lie and we need help”
The radio squawked “where are you Bravo?”
The radio squawked “beautiful work, with mortars”
The radio squawked “Bravo just entering Charlies positions, encountering german troops”
The radio squawked “Bravo here, send reinforcements, quick”
The radio squawked “Bravo, status”
The radio squawked “Charlies position is being over run. The germans are attacking here in force”
The radio squawked “This here is the 558th Mountain Rangers, we are approaching that position, would yas like us to swing by”
The radio squawked “558th, go get ‘em lads”
The radio squawked “ArchAngel Julie here, we are above your position, how can we help?”
The radio squawked “Capt Hallow, Bravo company, anything you can on postion 1775Kilo”
The radio squawked “Roger that we are inbound”
The radio squawked “Bravo digging in with Charlie”
The radio squawked “Dog here, we are moving forward with the 355th as per”
The radio squawked “558th moving into your positions from your flank”
The radio squawked “Able company moving up behind Dog and the 355th”
The radio squawked “ArchAngel Julie here, we see artillary setting up 5 repeat 5 miles to the North of your position”
The radio squawked “Thanks ArchAngel”
The radio squawked “Bravo to Battalion, did you get that?”
The radio squawked “We are on it Bravo.”
The radio squawked “3rd Battalion to 13th Artillary, we have a new target for you.”
The radio squawked “13th here, go ahead”
The radio squawked “Reference 0401070511PR1”
The radio squawked “All received, you will hear us soon”
The radio squawked “Bravo here, Charlie company is a mess, you had better send as many medeic as possible. The Mountain men have really done marvelous work, they are chasing the germans across the field now, do you want us to join them.

Artillary fire sounds behind you, shells explode off somewhere to your front….

The radio squawked “Fox company, move into Charlies position with your entire team.”
The radio squawked “Medics on there way, Bravo just hold the liner for now.
The radio squawked “Dog here, we are encountering light fire. We see able to our rear. 355th are smashing the buildings we come across. We do see quite a number of workers gathering in the distance, they are like scared rabbits…”

The radio squawked “3rd Battalion move out, move move move….”

Last edited by Paddy; January 7, 2004 at 05:23.
Old January 7, 2004, 01:01   #22
Paddy
Prince

The join up with the Eighty-Fifth Battle Group has been most reassuring for the Long-Ready Transports that are with us. Also quite inspirational for many of the season hands amongst my crews. It was a great sight to come across these gleaming new ships of the line, our fine nation sure can build beautiful ships. The crew of the Battleship Belmont even presented themselves to our group in their dress whites, which was quite an inspiring site. The Germans really have trouble heading their way if our new recruits and new vessels give the old hands such inspiration.

We are currently along the Jang Penninsula. It is good that the Eighty-Fifth Battle Group has a full TOE, allowing my crews to refurbish some much required items. Adding to this our Chinese allies have more than generously sent many provisions out to the squadron. It is wonderful to have fresh meat and vegetables on my plate, such simple fair, yet so needed. We have filled all but one berth on the transports, with the multitude of Battalions and Armoured Regiments that were waiting for us.

Soon we will sail back towards the Germanic Hordeland. I expect to receive orders that the squadron will be running as the lance of this convoy. I have great faith in my crew, my ships and my executive team. I also have great faith in the fact that the Horde will know that we are a great big target and that we will be on our way soon. We are far to big a battle group to hide on any horizon.

Tonight the Admiral has called for all Captains to meet onboard his Flag ship the BB The Three Weeds. I fully expect that we will not be sailing back to Exacting Bay, that this mighty fighting force will be landed further up the Hordeland coast. Until tonights meeting…

Old January 7, 2004, 05:52   #23
Paddy
Prince

~~~~SECURE COMMS~~~~

Lake Awabakal Naval Operations Centre
by order of the Chief of Naval Forces

To 'DD RN Bandit'

Captain O'Malley,

you are here by promoted to Rear Admiral of the Fleet.

You will remain commander of the 5th Destroyer Squadron

We hereby further your responsiblities at this time with another squadron. You will be met in the coming weeks by the 13th Destroyer Squadron.

These are yours now. Look after them in tha fashion we know you will.

Admiral James B Walker
Chief of Naval Forces

~~~~

On a personal note John, I am sorry that I am not on hand for this occasion, accept my congratulations and best wishes, James.

~~~~

To Rear Admiral John Arthur O'Malley

I am delighted again to see you in the dispatches.

Congratulations on your appointment.

Paddy
Prince of Wales
Fortress Arundel

~~~~

~~~~End Comms~~~~
Old January 7, 2004, 10:05   #24
dannubis
King

Local Time: 16:41
very nicely written. Me like ...
Old January 7, 2004, 14:17   #25
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:41
Hey Paddy....a very interesting approach you are taking on this story. Its quite a challenge to unify all these story lines...looking forward to more!
Old January 7, 2004, 14:32   #26
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Superb stuff Paddy keep on trucking and have some more beers
Old January 8, 2004, 09:16   #27
Paddy
Prince

never a frown, with gloden brown
The ‘Bandit’, my ‘Bandit’, my crews ever faithful ‘Bandit.’ ‘DD RN Bandit’, my first command, my home… now my Flagship, just bloody amazing mate.

Looking around the fly bridge I can see my crew quietly getting on with the job of keeping this a highly functional ship. Raising my binoculars I can clearly see six vessels of my 5th Squadron, all efficiently preforming their onerous tasks of running the lance screen for Task Force 72.

“Admiral” chirps up Mr Johannson, now that is taking a little of get used too… “Captain McNaow of the ‘Background’ is just sending through those images of object 4311. Would you like a copy brought through to you sir?”

“Mr Johannson, I will be in shortly, have them displayed in the CDC.”

Somewhere from within the ship I can hear the soulful strains of Michael Hutchense and his band INXS. Music, such a fantastic method of talking to the internal spirit. We have quite a collection of great music that can be found playing at the most amazing times in the most amazing places within the squadron. Some of the lads on board the ‘JasonFlyerBoy’ have even tricked up a special mix that they throw out through the sonar, that can be clearly heard within subs… I have had reports that their mix has really disturbed several of our own sub Captains when they find out it is not their crew pumping up the volume. At least with my promotion my lads do not have to be concerned with some wandering Admiral going off the rails with them.

Turning my thoughts to object 4311 brings me Commander Mason of the ‘Storm Crow.’ It was only two hours ago that I dispatched the ‘IrishBanga’ and ‘Storm Crow’ on a speed run off to our west. I hope to have them swing out and around Macanation Island then head back into the on coming Task Force with all of their sonar lit and ripped. Thus anything in between us should not be able to hide, well that is the theory.

Mason is quite an ideas man, and quite old for Commander rank… I must look up his packet again, yet I am sure that he is in his sixties. He has the stamina that puts many in the squadron to shame. With prizes like him, it has been an absolute pleasure to intergrate the 13th Destroyer Squadron in amongst the 5th. I think that Mason is in for a promotion, that sort of experience and wisdom needs to be utilised. When we have delivery these transports to the Hordeland, and move onto the next mission, I think I will give him three ships as an independent patrol to work along side of the two squadrons. Yes, I like that idea. Ha, maybe I can trade him some of my whiskey for another of his old sea diaries of the British Japanese wars of four centuries ago.

Ha, is that the Flowers playing now… right they are called IceHouse now… yes “Walls” excellent song, ah well so much for day dreaming, I better get down to the CDC before Johannson brings me coffee and slippers out here….
Old January 8, 2004, 10:59   #28
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Interesting little insight into the mind of this character as he passes time thinking
Old January 9, 2004, 18:03   #29
Paddy
Prince

Contact
Object 4311 sure looks interesting to a farm boy, but to a sailor at war, we will have to pass up this opportunity to learn of our past. It has been marked on the map, and maybe someday in times of peace, someone will come and have a look.

The ‘Storm Crow’ and the ‘IrishBanga’ have traversed the far point of Macanation Island and are steaming back to the fleet. So far there has been no Horde activity to report.

The Task Force is spread out over quite a bit of sea. This is not the way I would have got the job done, but then it was not my decision. The 5th Destroyer Squadron and elements of the 13th are running point. We are the lance to make sure the waters are clear.

I was reading through the lists of units we are shipping to Hordeland, all quite amazing. These brave souls have rushed from all over the Chinese lands, and even from beyond, to meet up with us on the Jang Peninsula. The organization of this is really impressive.

“Storm Crow has a contact Sir” came a yell from within CDC.

Turning, I moved the six feet to the battle chair “Bring it up on the screen Donaldson”

“Aye Sir”

And there before my eyes was a clear symbol, with a designation number already attached.

“Cleary, get the word to the Task Force now”

“Aye Sir”

“Incoming traffic: Commander Mason has sent a message through asking if you have any particular orders Sir”

“Very good Cleary. Let him know that it is his target at this time.”

The change in the CDC team was always a dual edged sword to me. A pleasure to see them operate so smoothly, sadness that they are such a precise brain for a killing machine.

“Cleary, I want the ‘IrishBanga’ to stay in close to the ‘Storm Crow’”

“Aye Sir”

“Donaldson lets review the other suspect contacts for the last 5 hours, quickly…”

The screen suddenly broke into three parts. One half was dominated by the current contact with the ‘Storm Crow’. A quarter was given over to the Task Force, and the last quarter was used to review all of the last contact. As I said before, these guys are smooth.
“Cleary, I want the ‘NoxBridge’ to swing out and join the chase, and then bring the ‘Hitangy’ over to fill her spot.”

“Miss Rai, I see you have been keeping this team at their peak, my congratulations to you all. Let’s see if we have any others out there.”

There is a torpedo in the water sir.”

“Main screen”

The ‘Storm Crow’ was on the job and the torpedo missed. We watched as the two of them zigged and zagged, sometimes loosing all sight of the sub, yet no matter how I tried to second guess the situation Commander Mason came out in the right place when contact was reestablished.

As the chase developed, I let the ‘IrishBanga’ slip away a little, leaving the ‘Storm Crow’ with more operational ground. I am not sure if it was just luck or some kind of 2nd sight, but as the ‘IrishBanga’ completed a turn suddenly a new symbol jumped on the main screen. Yes we had another live contact. Now we were getting interesting.

“Captain McNaow reporting a live contact in his ranges Sir”

“Cleary stay in touch with the ‘Storm Crow’, Johns you are comms for the “IrishBanga”

“Aye Sirs” rang out.

“Word to the entire Task Force, that we have two confirm targets.”

“The Storm Crow” has taken a hit sir, they report that it is under control, but they are definitely hit.”

Picking up my personal comm, I called up to the Fly Bridge “Mr. Johannson, how go your eyes in those binoculars? We have just had word that the ‘Storm Crow’ has taken a hit. Can you see anything there?”

“Negative from here Sir.”

Turning my attention back to the monitor I could see the ‘IrishBanga’ moving in on its target.

“Johns, I want you to bring up the ‘IrishBanga’ CDC on speakers only, not to loud now son.”

And then we heard it…”move further forward, bring it around now, fire fire fire… silence... the sounds of shells exploding as the leave the barrels’ the sub must be very close to the surface. “chief, I am going to need more speed soon, yes that is correct, O’Rielly you are shooting fine today…”

“Thank you Johns, which is enough of that for now”

Swinging in my chair I get up a lean over Mr. Donaldson’s Op. He is the true magician of my CDC, and he knows all the tricks.

“Jimmy, very soon, I want to get a message out to the ‘JasonFlyerBoy’ but I want it to be completely cryptic, just them and us to know about this”

“Right you are Sir”

Picking the ‘JasonFlyerBoy’ helped Donaldson in getting my desires completed; it is one of his best mates in the opposite chair on the ‘JasonFlyerBoy’.

Then Cleary spoke up “the ‘Storm Crow’ reports that the contact has been broken”

Looking up at my screen I could only see one Hordeland sub symbol, this was not looking good.

“It’s the ‘Dog Swamp’ Sir, they have taken a hit, and they are not sure where from”

Now that is bad, the ‘Dog Swamp’, like us, is holding a spot in the line by themselves, not what either I or the crew of the ‘Dog Swamp’ needed at all.

“They have been hit two more times sir, the contact is now on screen Sir”

Yes, there it is, but is it the same one that the ‘Storm Crow’ lost? Or a third one.

“The ‘Dog Swamp’ is going down sir” came Cleary’s very calm voice; you could almost hear ice forming on his words.

The ‘Dog Swamp’ held a position in the line directly in front of ourselves, so we would be in their water in only minutes, yet I can not be thinking of these things now, nor can I spare the time to swing the ‘Bandit’ after this predator.

“Prepare the ‘Bandit’ for recovery detail”

“Aye Sir, came the words of Mr. Johannson.

“Let the ‘Werewolf’ take target Z98. I want that sub now.”

In my mind, I could here the order arriving in the ‘Werewolf’s’ CDC, I could hear their engines roaring to answer commands, I could smell the sweat of the crew as the entered the chase.

“Have the ‘Scoundrel’ stand by to assist us with the recovery if needed.”

“Sir, Commander Nacchete requests permission to kill the sub as it is passing toward him” Johns reported.

“Permission granted, all other vessels to stay their course”

“Werewolf reporting a hit on the sub, it is raising Sir”

“The ‘Jarrah” is laying into him as well Sir, yes they are reporting that the sub is breaching and breaking up. Commander Nacchete sends you his compliments Sir.”

“And Johns, please send mine to Commander Nacchete on the ‘Jarrah’ and captain Fontaine on the ‘Werewolf.’ A good day’s work.” Looking around I could see I was in a room of professionals, a team of well trained naval experts. “Cleary, any word from Commander Mason?”

“No Sir.”

I sat back and looked over the monitor. The ‘IrishBanga’ still had contact with target Z97, and I toyed with the idea of sending another ship out to assist, but decided not to.

Where was target Z96? Were Z96 and Z98 the same boat? How bad was the ‘Storm Crow’? How were recovery operations going on the ‘Dog Swamp’?

“Mr. Johannson, do they need more assistance with the ‘Dog Swamp’?”

“No Sir, all under control.”

“Mr. Cleary, what condition is the ‘Storm Crow’?”

“Sir, she is taking some water, but still very operational.”

“Sir, ‘IrishBanga’ reports one dead sub” came a strong yet calm voice of young Mr. Johns. Listening to him, I knew that the team had brought and trained a good lad.

“Miss Rai, Mr. Donaldson, do we have anything on the possible threat board that we need to discuss now?”

Mary Rai calmly looked up and said, “Not for the next 15 minutes Sir, we will need to discuss two items at that stage. We have clear waters at this time.”

Professionals, you can not beat working with them.

“Mr. Donaldson, we can hold off on that comms to the ‘JasonFlyerBoy’ for the time being”

“Aye Sir”

I turned then to my Op desk in the corner, well actually it is almost a spare, but I claim it when ever I need it. Anyway, I brought up a picture of the two subs just prior to the destruction of Z98. I need to see what I may have missed… I have men in the water, and others in harms way, yet this Task Force must get through.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	5th destroyer - macanation island.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	61334  
Old January 15, 2004, 00:59   #30
Paddy
Prince

Onboard the RAG – Royal Airforce Gatherer

Was this another exercise, you remember being on board this plane before. The same sorts of people were here then; the situations had also been so in-depth. You have some fuzzy memory of strategic planners really going overboard in their presentations of issues. So much detail, just so much detail. Then you also had to get your official functions preformed, sometimes wondering if you were wasting time on all of these role-plays. Yet, for some reason this may be different, some soft voice in the back of your head is telling you that you should pay attention, that this is different, there is no acting this time.

Looking around you are facing a small group of advisors, 7 windows either side of the cabin, and a wall monitor on the bulkhead which was flashing up maps, faces of various people, a Fleet in a harbour, another bombarding some coastal location, a gigantic airbase, that could very well be where we took off from, and look yet another shot from a satellite. These people really like those satellite photos.\

“… and we expect far more casualties in the coming weeks. The Horde have repulsed fourteen units in the last 36 hours. And as you can clearly see the 5th Carrier Fleet is actually cut off along the Horde Channel. We are rushing units to this location, but unless we have a miracle, they are greatly out numbered. You see the Horde are well named…”

Oh, he is looking at you, yet you are unsure if you are supposed to comment on this now, yes they are all looking at you again. Taking a stern expression you look intently at the man, he is wearing Naval whites, good, looking around the table you see another in Naval whites, and that badge says “Naggahama” “OK, then Naggahama what do you really think we should do in this situation?” Ahh that was a good save, wasn’t it is all you can wonder.

The conversation heats up, some lady starts intoi the naval bloke, then another, then another, yet he gives back quietly, yet strernly, quoting facts, figures and really poutting on a good show. This Naggahama bloke has really come prepared for this game.

You then get an Airman’s attention and request a refill of coffee, reaching for another chocolate you offer the plate around the group. This suddenly stops all of the conversation, they just look at you, some seem quite dumbfounded by your actions. Looking at them, you realise that this is possible the resposibilty of the Airmans and you are stepping on his toes, how good of these people to subtly let you know. Sitting back you pick up your green covered report that they have all been argueing over…

“So what is your final comment Sir?” you ask Admiral Naggahama.

“Well Mr. President, It should be noted that we do have quite a sizeable force on German soil. The intelligence of the battle composition of the surrounding Hordeland units is very reliable, in some ways it is so good that it is working against us.” Sitting forward the Admiral looks straight at you and contionues “Bottom line Mister President, we can not relieve these troops. At best we can hope to fly some out, but we do not believe that they can make it. It is my belief that these troops need to fight, and fight toi the death, or until they can fight no more.”

The room was so quiet, only the hum of the engines outside of this so secure of rooms…

Reaching for another Chocolate, you seem to be considering this awful situation.

“Well so be it” standing you push your chair in “I am going upstairs.”

As you walkout you hear the room erupt, your only thoughts are how good it is that they are taking this war game so seriously.