Old December 16, 2003, 04:12   #1
Space05us
King

Local Time: 02:41
Local Date: November 3, 2010
A question about Morrowind
will it run on a computer with a NVIDIA GeFrorce2 MX/MX 400?

on the official website is says the minimum is:
32MB Direct3D compatible video card with 32-bit color support and DirectX 8.1 compatible driver

and recommended is:
NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS, or ATI Radeon 7500 or faster video card.
Old December 16, 2003, 04:46   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 10:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yeah, I believe it will. Whether it'll run well is another story .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 16, 2003, 06:27   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 14:41
Re: A question about Morrowind
Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
Yes it will, however due to the...badness of that card, it won't run well unless you have other system resources to make up for it. When I "upgraded" to an GF4MX, I did notice quite a bit of an improvement.
Also, since the MX has no native support for Pixel Shading, the water won't look as good.
Old December 16, 2003, 07:22   #4
Space05us
King

well all of my other system specs are at or above the recommended level. Leave it to Dell to make a good yet bad computer.

I was just asking because Im thinking of getting it for my computer since the X-Box version not only leaves a lot to be desired but it also likes to freeze at least once a day to tell me my disk (which is practicaly brand new since I've been babying it) is dirty. Stupid microsoft is moving into making consoles buggy too, I wonder when the upgrade software will hit the market.

Old December 16, 2003, 09:18   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
well all of my other system specs are at or above the recommended level. Leave it to Dell to make a good yet bad computer.
Sorry, but "at or above" isn't going to cut it. What are your specs?
Old December 16, 2003, 14:58   #6
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 06:41
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Actually the biggest thing to increase Morrowind's performance is processor speed. The game runs so many freakin scripts at once it kills the framerate. With my system, changing the resolution doesn't affect the framerate at all, but running anything else while morrowind is up will kill the framerate (more processor used).

I wouldn't really bother playing on anything less than a 2 gig + processor and a GF4. You'd just be missing out on too much w/o that. More than half of the quality of the game is graphics.
Old December 16, 2003, 15:47   #7
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Its runs decent enough with my GF3 card. But it did see an improvement when I upgraded to a P4 2.4ghz CPU system (from Celeron 850mhz).
Old December 16, 2003, 17:44   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:41
Re: A question about Morrowind
Quote:

on the official website is says the minimum is:
32MB Direct3D compatible video card with 32-bit color support and DirectX 8.1 compatible driver

and recommended is:
NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS, or ATI Radeon 7500 or faster video card.
I have the same exact card, and I have Morrowind.

The answer is yes. In fact, I have many of the features turned on. It's not choppy at all.

Now if I could just get over the fact that combat is boring for me in that game, I might actually finish it
Old December 16, 2003, 17:48   #9
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

2 gig! you guys are crazy!!

The game runs almost flawlessly on my P3 700 with 256 megs of RAM, and my geoforce 2 MX/MX 400

and I turned on all the options the game allowed me to turn on. It's not choppy at all. It does freeze when I'm transitioning areas. But I'm assuming because it's loading the new area from the hard drive- not because my video card is slow.
Old December 16, 2003, 18:26   #10
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
2 gig! you guys are crazy!!

The game runs almost flawlessly on my P3 700 with 256 megs of RAM, and my geoforce 2 MX/MX 400

and I turned on all the options the game allowed me to turn on. It's not choppy at all. It does freeze when I'm transitioning areas. But I'm assuming because it's loading the new area from the hard drive- not because my video card is slow.
Diss, I used to have the exact same specs (except 390 something RAM) and it ran VERY choppy. Heck, if I were to turn everything to max I would be running 5-10 FPS, while everyting ot off would run 15-30 (Outdoors and indoors respectively)

Quote:
More than half of the quality of the game is graphics.
Um, no. Or else I wouldn't have played for as long as I did

Quote:
Actually the biggest thing to increase Morrowind's performance is processor speed. The game runs so many freakin scripts at once it kills the framerate.
This is true. Morrowind has this "small" problem of not being able to unload it's scripts. Meaning if you were to play the main quest from start to finish...each quest would result in less and less framerate.
But remeber: It was playable on my system, it will be playable on yours! I highly recommend above 1.5GHz and above a Geforce 3 to play MW AND above 512MB Ram(Pulling this out of my head though), but...do what you will.
Old December 16, 2003, 18:40   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I didn't pay that much close attention, but I cannot remember any problems. Only when transitioning areas would the game freeze up to load something.
Old December 17, 2003, 00:17   #12
Space05us
King

Win XP
P4 1.6 GHz
256 RAM

Quote:
If that were the case I would have thrown away my X-Box copy a long time ago, I dont play games for pretty pictures. thats what art galleries are for.
Old December 17, 2003, 02:23   #13
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I wouldn't really bother playing on anything less than a 2 gig + processor and a GF4. You'd just be missing out on too much w/o that.
Bull... I got a 1.7 gig and a GF4 Go card and it runs very well.

Quote:
What a hater

Definetly not! The graphics are nice, but the quality of the game is by far the world. It feels like an actual living world and you get a sense for the size and breath of it. In most RPGs you go from place to place quickly and easily and it feels like you are playing in little buildings, not in a world. Morrowind feels like a massive world where you can trudge into the wilderness and explore.

Great stuff . And the story is pretty fun as well.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)