Old December 17, 2003, 16:02   #151
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 09:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
No it hasn't. The Republican Party is not for slavery, for segregation, or for States Rights in the sense that the South was for Stated Rights. The Republican party is for private enterprise, for patriotism and for a foreign policy designed to spread democracy, for family rights and for more conservative social practices, and for freedom of religion. Most Southerners today identify with the Republicans because they agree with these core issues.

You should also understand that the Republican Party was always in favor of civil rights legislation while the Democrat Party opposed it. Johnson allied with Dirksen, the Republican leader in the Senate, to get the Civil Rights act of 1964 through the Democrat filibuster lead by Al Gore's dad.

Democrats are truly fond of rewriting history to somehow paint themselves as holier than thou, when in truth, the history of that party has largely been despicable.
what i'm referring to is that republicans were once radical.

then after the civil war, they became the establishment.

for a long time, the democrats had nothing. they provided nothing.

they splintered into dixiecrats and northern democrats. it is the dixiecrats who opposed civil rights legislation.

it is now the democrats who are more radical.

besides, until recently, the impression the republicans gave was always somewhat... frosty... to minorities, even if that wasn't the intention.

===

Quote:
Well, vote for John McCain then -- or Colin Powell if he runs.
still not a republican at heart. i disagree with over half of their platform; i'll stay independent.
so soon after our argument over reagan, too.
Old December 17, 2003, 16:22   #152
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:41
Well, Templar, the issue of weed is front and center and illustrates the problem of the over-extension of the commerce clause.

Marshall said that the power to tax is the power to destroy. Even if he said this in determining the scope of a state's power to tax, the principle is equally applicable to the Federal government power to tax the states. It does not exist.

Although Special Revenue Sharing has been upheld by the Supremes, I still believe it is unconstitutional as it is an indirect way of taxing the states. As we have seen, what has happened since Nixon began Revenue Sharing is the gradual takeover of most State functions by the Feds. No one can today truly dispute that Revenue Sharing has severely erroded the effective sovereignty of the States.
Old December 17, 2003, 16:27   #153
Ned
King

Ask Saddam or bin Laden, who is more radical, Bush or Clinton?

Last edited by Ned; December 17, 2003 at 23:08.
Old December 17, 2003, 16:33   #154
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:41
Ned,
It doesn't take much to see that the parties have largely switched sides. This is because the traditional Southern Democrats, i.e., the Dixiecrats, began leaving the party in opposition to its support for Civil Rights and started joining the Republicans when Nixon trotted out his Southern Strategy. The Republican Party of today is dominated by largely unreconstructed segregationists.

Interesting factoid I read in Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, the Christian Coalition controls the party apparatus of the Republican Party in 44 states.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 17, 2003, 18:07   #155
MrFun
Emperor

Has anyone ever read the book, "Race and Reunion" written by David W. Blight, published in 2001??
Old December 17, 2003, 18:43   #156
chequita guevara
Emperor

Titles are always italicized (except for articles). And you want to be an academic.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 17, 2003, 18:45   #157
Q Classic
Emperor

is that a no?
Old December 17, 2003, 18:46   #158
chequita guevara
Emperor

In my extremely *****y way, yes.
Old December 17, 2003, 19:24   #159
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
GePap,

This is actually a very positive thing.

Although I still believe that secession was and is Constitutional.
How about expulsion? Now there would be an exciting idea!
Old December 17, 2003, 19:25   #160
chequita guevara
Emperor

YEEEEEE Haw!
Old December 17, 2003, 19:38   #161
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

[W]e may, ere long, see filled with another Supreme Court decision, declaring that the Constitution of the United States does not permit a State to exclude slavery from its limits....

Such a decision is all that slavery now lacks of being alike lawful in all the States. Welcome, or unwelcome, such decision is probably coming, and will soon be upon us, unless the power of the present political dynasty shall be met and overthrown. We shall lie down pleasantly dreaming that the people of Missouri are on the verge of making their State free, and we shall awake to the reality instead, that the Supreme Court has made Illinois a slave State. To meet and overthrow the power of that dynasty, is the work now before all those who would prevent that consummation. That is what we have to do. How can we best do it?"
There was a great deal of hope in the south that the Dred Scott case would do exactly that, negate the rights of the free states to outlaw slavery within their borders. In the summary of the case the Supreme Court however made it very clear that the decision should not in any way be construed as interfering with the rights of states to make slavery unlawful. Undismayed southern lawyers filed a number of lawsuits which sought to use Dred Scott as a means to overturn free state laws abolishing slavery. They were resolutely turned away by the Supreme Court, and southern newspapers bristled with cries of betrayal. Incredible as it seems both sides eventually felt betrayed by the Dredd Scott decision.
Old December 17, 2003, 20:43   #162
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Titles are always italicized (except for articles). And you want to be an academic.

Hey smart*ss, I always use italics in reports and essays, but since this is a public forum, I'm not that formal with conventions.
Old December 17, 2003, 20:45   #163
chequita guevara
Emperor

So we're not good enough for you to do your best?
Old December 17, 2003, 20:46   #164
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
finno-ugric is sometimes put under the vast ural-altaic group.

this is a matter of debate.

sometimes korean and japanese are also stuck under the ural altaic group.
The Ural-Altaic language family fell out of favor a while back. It's now more common to group Finnish, Hungarian, etc. in a Uralic family group seperate from the Altaic group made up of Turkish, Mongolian, various Tungusic languages, Korean and probably Japanese.
Old December 17, 2003, 20:47   #165
MrFun
Emperor

I give up -- tell us what has REALLY been bothering you this past couple of weeks or so.

And then maybe we can all spam away in peace, in the spirit of the holidays.
Old December 17, 2003, 20:53   #166
chequita guevara
Emperor

You really want to know?
Old December 17, 2003, 21:16   #167
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
It's now more common to group Finnish, Hungarian, etc. in a Uralic family group seperate from the Altaic group made up of Turkish, Mongolian, various Tungusic languages, Korean and probably Japanese.
What are Tungusic languages?
Old December 17, 2003, 21:20   #168
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
What are Tungusic languages?
Languages spoken by various native tribes in central and eastern Siberia.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~trg/languages.html
Old December 17, 2003, 21:53   #169
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
You really want to know?

Old December 17, 2003, 21:56   #170
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:41
Thanks for the link, Drake.
I'm way too exhausted to read the whole site tonight, but the foreword makes it sound very interesting
Old December 17, 2003, 21:58   #171
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
but the foreword makes it sound very interesting
It's not. I'm interested in liguistics in a general sense, but the details (which that site is full of) tend to put me right to sleep.
Old December 17, 2003, 22:52   #172
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:41
The CSA stuff gets a little silly. We have to deal with that here in Richmond as the site where I work forbids wearing the flag or bringing it on plant. And we have weekly protests from the confederistas. My favorite sign..."honor Black Confederates". Come on...man.
Old December 17, 2003, 22:53   #173
MrFun
Emperor

Am I the only person who has read the book I asked about here??
Old December 17, 2003, 22:54   #174
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

have you taken your historiography. I DON'Tt want to have to spank you again. Unless you like that. err...ezpecially not if you like it.

Last edited by TCO; December 17, 2003 at 23:12.
Old December 17, 2003, 22:57   #175
MrFun
Emperor

Will you PLEASE stop patronizing me and oogling over me as if I'm a grade school student???
Old December 17, 2003, 23:03   #176
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Will you PLEASE stop patronizing me and oogling over me as if I'm a grade school student???
No.
Old December 17, 2003, 23:04   #177
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
In the last month I've read, Bushwhacked, Big Lies: The Right-Wing Propaganda Machine and How It Distorts the Truth, and Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them. Now I'm reading The Great Unraveling. I'm surper pissed about the whackjobs who've taken control of the Repugnent Party and the Dumbocrats who have refused to stand up to them.
Old December 17, 2003, 23:11   #178
Ned
King

Quote:
Ned,
It doesn't take much to see that the parties have largely switched sides. This is because the traditional Southern Democrats, i.e., the Dixiecrats, began leaving the party in opposition to its support for Civil Rights and started joining the Republicans when Nixon trotted out his Southern Strategy. The Republican Party of today is dominated by largely unreconstructed segregationists.

Interesting factoid I read in Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, the Christian Coalition controls the party apparatus of the Republican Party in 44 states.
Which is it, Che, the segregationists or the Christians who control the party - or, is it your contention that the Christians are segregationists?

The truth is that there are no more segregationists. That issue is settled as is slavery.
Old December 17, 2003, 23:11   #179
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

In the last month I've read, Bushwhacked, Big Lies: The Right-Wing Propaganda Machine and How It Distorts the Truth, and Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them. Now I'm reading The Great Unraveling. I'm surper pissed about the whackjobs who've taken control of the Repugnent Party and the Dumbocrats who have refused to stand up to them.
But you're a COMMUNIST. You shouldn't worry about stuff like that. unless Democrats are communists?
Old December 17, 2003, 23:16   #180
chequita guevara
Emperor

I know that, you know that, but my heart doesn't know that. It still loves America and wants what's best for the country, and it's dying cuz these theives have kidnapped it and are raping it to death.