Old December 16, 2003, 13:07   #1
ericdave
Settler

Local Time: 14:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AI COmbat
From what is gathered on the forum, i assume that the AI will avoid attacking a stack defended by several high defending units such as infantry, does that apply to cities as well? As observed, AI will always skip arnd to find the least defended city to attack, and when that particular city is bolstered with units the next turn, AI simply turn around .. IS this the Main strategy of the AI? Taking the least Risk? WIll it ever attack a city by virtue of its strategic position, rather than its relative vulnurability?? Thanks.
Old December 16, 2003, 18:13   #2
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 08:43
IIRC, at least in an older version, one of the advantages the AI has is they know your troop strengths at specific locations...so if City X is on the border and defended with 20 Infantry but City Z is 10 tiles in, but undefended, they'll move for City Z instead of City Y.

This can be too easily used to **** around with their strategy...I don't know if it's been removed in C3C yet, or it was in a patch for PtW (or civ3 even? Am I that bad on keeping up with the times?)
Old December 16, 2003, 20:13   #3
steven8r
Prince

It still seems to work in C3C. The AI will move past heavily defended cities toward undefended ones. You can play around w/ the AI units marching through your lands, but I find that if you have enough Artillery units, you can wipe them out before they move very far into your land.
Old December 16, 2003, 21:35   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:43
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Interesting to know that.... the propensity of the AI to go hell-for-leather for any lightly defended target of yours was supposed to have been one of the things addressed by changes for Conquests...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 16, 2003, 21:42   #5
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Interesting to know that.... the propensity of the AI to go hell-for-leather for any lightly defended target of yours was supposed to have been one of the things addressed by changes for Conquests...
They still seem to do that.

I don't know if you can make their units yo-yo back and forth between cities in your area like you used to could, but you CAN definitely still 'entrap' the AI's by 'dangling' an undefended city 'bait' in front of them--they WILL go for it.
Old December 16, 2003, 22:27   #6
YC4B4U
Warlord

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: November 3, 2010
AI with a strategy - surely you jest!

In my current game I couldn't tell where the AI was going. It was very good at razing an area of land with rifleman etc but every other unit seem to move about aimlessly. I admit that I did have a fairly rock solid defence with at least four units in each border city and other units on montain tops.