Old December 16, 2003, 21:46   #1
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 10:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A Classical Diplo?
I found a really cool map, and I'd love to give a diplo a try on it. Its a map of the classical world, based around the Mediterranian. But much better than the prepackaged one. Its really big, but much of that land is desert. Of the good, fertile land its not excessively big.

I made some slight modifications to ensure all the civs have a special in their beginning radius (except the French/Gauls, but they've got great land anyways). And I've closed the Suez canal.

We'll have to wipe huts before this one starts, cause that was just be too unbalancing on such a big map. Also, since there is some really good land in the Southern part of Africa we'd need to stick some unbeatable barbarians down there or something, cause its too damn far away from everyone else for a player to start there, and the land is just too good to let sit down there.

So what do you all think?

Greeks vs. Romans vs. French/Gauls vs. Carthaginians vs. Egyptians vs. Babylonians/Arabs/Persians vs. Turks/Trojans/Byzantines.

Who's with me?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old December 16, 2003, 21:48   #2
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

The Map
Attached Files:
File Type: zip classic1.zip (4.9 KB, 7 views)

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old December 16, 2003, 21:51   #3
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	classicmap.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	59828  

Old December 16, 2003, 22:27   #4
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 14:44
Good morning or evening as it may be, folks.. Ozzy and myself have been quite excited tinkering with new ideas for a Eurodip - and hope there's the right amount of participation available out there to make it a reality.

Talking of past contributors to such games, we'd love to make an open invitation available to talented, dependable players simply wanting to civ on yet another occasion of the week. It would be great if we could get the likes of the below to join:

Deity
Frank J
Ljube
Berz
Attawa
(Ozzy)
(Zylka)

While we'd also like to leave at least a spot available for the interested up & comers/trainers, ie:

Dylan Baker
Raz
Boris Gudonov

This will be a dip game, so anyone outside of the list is welcome - but be sure to expect cheesy stories and wonderfully adventurous roleplaying!

I'll load my own proposed map here shortly, with the following theme: "Rise of lesser Europe". Would be most helpful if y'all would care to give your own input regarding game settings and our productions so far..
Old December 16, 2003, 22:34   #5
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 07:44
I'm interested, dependant on what day/time you wish to play.
Old December 16, 2003, 22:38   #6
Zylka
King

Wow.. I missed Makeo :embarrassed:

didn't think you had much time lately.. just let us know your schedule, as with everyone else. we'll work from there
Old December 16, 2003, 22:45   #7
Makeo
King

OK. Sunday and Monday nights are the best anytime from 5pm Mountain until midnight.

I could also do Wednesday and Saturday 5pm-9pm Mountain.
Old December 16, 2003, 23:27   #8
Zylka
King

Alright, here's my proposed map - with basic starting positions laid out and general tactical terrain looked after according to the slim body in the middle meant to draw the more space expansive power into the middle and (minor) conflict. The north eastern edge of the map has been made less hospitable so the ol' Russian area mega machine isn't a late game problem.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	eurodiplesser.gif
Views:	53
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	59852  
Old December 16, 2003, 23:35   #9
Zylka
King

Basic resource tweaking will be finished tommorrow - but for now here's the proposed concept for the latest Eurodip: Rise of Lesser Europe

Roleplaying is given a chance to follow a new storyline outside of the same old France, England, Germany, Russia, Italy thing.. I think it would be interesting if one of our scenario makers could alter it by theme according to other nations expanding through a more abstractly fictional European history - with the basic mid sea body variable thrown in for more interaction and chance of conflict.

Anyway - Proposed civs are as follows:

Yellow - Portugese or Basque
Green - Irish, Welsh, or Scottish
Orange - Dutch, Belgian, or Luxembourger
White - Sicilian, Corsicans, or Sardinian
Purple - Danish, Polish, or Lithuanian
Blue - Serbian, Turkish, or Israeli
Turquoise - Ukranian

Each specific civ has it's own little perk while maintaining the basic strategy of overall color location, as I will explain in depth later (with the finished map as visual aid). I believe myself and Ozzy are pretty much willing for the two leftovers, so start considering your picks as they'll be handed out once we have a full roster

Oh.. and those little tentacle penis things coming out of the italian islands are supposed to show available land routes, in case anyone was (probably) wondering.
Old December 17, 2003, 00:08   #10
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Hmmmm.....

Old December 17, 2003, 00:12   #11
Makeo
King

Hey Zylka you got a downloadable version of that map? If playing that map, I'd like the Welsh.

If playing Ozzy's map I'd like the civ that starts in Egypt. If so I'd prefer less hospitable land than barbarians. Since Barbarians would only effect the Egyptians.

But I'm easy.
Old December 17, 2003, 00:13   #12
Makeo
King

hehehe
Old December 17, 2003, 00:26   #13
Zylka
King

I'll get the *finished* map for you tommorrow.. Welsh are a little contained, but have moderate offshore access to Scandanavia, Brittany etc - and a few added NW islands, extended shetlands etc. to play with. Actually.. sounds like it would fit your playing style

ok.. back to work
Old December 17, 2003, 01:48   #14
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Hmm, i dunno about that Euro map. Changes too drastic for my anal geographic self to accept.

Old December 17, 2003, 01:50   #15
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

basically i'm thinking the barbarians would just sit there. High defence no move units defending small cities. Basically I don't want anyone to build cities down there (cause it'd be unbalancing) but i don't want to do something dumb like man an ocean in the middle of africa, or make it all tundra.

Old December 17, 2003, 02:51   #16
Zylka
King

change is good for some, especially in fiction..

as for yours - if you don't want Africa there, why not just lop it off and put more focus into middle europe?
Old December 17, 2003, 13:32   #17
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 16:44
I would be interested in a diplo but the only time I can commit for a longrunning game is Euro weekday evenings.

Sounds interesting though, I would prefer to play either the Dutch on the euro map or else the Celts on the other map.

/me
Old December 17, 2003, 16:34   #18
Zylka
King

Ok. Rise of Lesser Europe: The map
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	fullmap.gif
Views:	39
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	59889  
Old December 17, 2003, 16:35   #19
Zylka
King

The file
Attached Files:
File Type: zip lesser.zip (4.1 KB, 3 views)
Old December 17, 2003, 16:54   #20
Zylka
King

~The civs~
Old December 17, 2003, 16:56   #21
Zylka
King

Dutch, Belgian, or Luxembourg

A nice, even yet defensive home pocket - all three of these choices rest with naval ability for interaction in the near British atlantic - as well as the snaking mid continent body.

The Dutch have the clear initial advantage resource wise of the three, with a whale and silk - and they also have quick and easy access to the Atlantic for any planned off-shore exploits. Belgian location suggests a quick route exploit of northern France as home - while still maintaining dominancy of the *near* east from any severe Dansish/Polish approaches. The Luxembourgers are a specialty choice - movemnt to nearby specials would likely be followed up by a sudden claim to thwart Sicilian/Corsican/Sardinian claims to the rich, defensive Alps region.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	beldutlux.gif
Views:	39
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	59891  
Old December 17, 2003, 17:02   #22
Zylka
King

Basque or Portugese

At first glance - not much is seen as benefit of this pick, but what lies just outside of the mainland grasp is near assured for one or the other choice. Portugal is a super defensive, isolationist power with a rich, medium sized offshore island to offset relative distance from thick grasslands. One playing Portugal is almost sure to capitalize at least a third of the hospitable North Africa, after a quick boatload is made across the Gibraltar straight.

The Basque will likely take on an entirely different settlement tactic - assured control of the rich south of France and biding claims for the rest of the east with (Orange) and (White). At the same time, they can be near sure to leave behind dry Spain and its rich island for eventual return when things get cramped and hostile in the east. North Africa is further away and into (White) hands, but still an option.
Old December 17, 2003, 17:03   #23
Zylka
King

~
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	portbasque.gif
Views:	35
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	59892  
Old December 17, 2003, 17:11   #24
Zylka
King

Sicilian, Corsican, or Sardinian

A trade friendly spot for anyone who wishes to control the mediterranean and have southern access to the inner snakeway - these picks are a little isolated initially but do not remain traditionally as islands. Sicily is the bulk spot focusing on the connected mainland - with a fair start of a whale and a fish to make use of. The Sardinans have two near spot choices combining a whale and pheasant (between 2 whales, 1 pheasant) - and are logical for quick land passage to the Tunis area or route to the mainland. Corsica focuses more on the mediterranean shore, with direct route to the rich Marseilles/Nice/Monaco area. All are varying degrees of desired isolation or expansion.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	corsarsic.gif
Views:	34
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	59893  
Old December 17, 2003, 17:25   #25
Zylka
King

Serbian, Turkish, or Israeli

Greatest range in choice; these options offer either a head on, interactive and assertive Serbian force, a midway & conservative yet still able Turkish Empire; or a chance to re-create Israeli history in less than conventional location.

Serbians should be considered only by one able of direct conflict - as run ins with the near all mainland civs are possibility by many a shared border (especially the Ukranians). They are a little cramped in comparison to other mainlands, but opportunity to leave the Turkish hills and middle east for late colonization is option - although proportional to (White) and Ukranian aims.

The Turkish are pseudo isolationist - but will see a fair bit of contest between (White) and the Ukranians. A more assured dominance of the middle east and even Egypt is seen with them.

Israeli's are the toughest choice by far - able and beneficial only by hands of some of the most specialty method players. Early isolationist can only be applied in description - as their specific type, location and amount of growth space can in time skyrocket to the top and expand outwards with dominance.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	serturisr.gif
Views:	32
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	59895  
Old December 17, 2003, 17:32   #26
Zylka
King

Irish, Scottish, Welsh

If one plans not to have super large trade hubs with one of these civs, there is little room for option elsewhere. Differences between civs here are mainly roleplying, added that the well centered Welsh only recieve a whale in vicinty, the Irish a whale and nearby coal - and the distant Scots a pheasant and wine. Each option should be looking for early claims in Brittany and even West Scandanavia; lest the isles and their bonus surrounders seem enough territory to please.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	welirsco.gif
Views:	33
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	59896  
Old December 17, 2003, 17:42   #27
Zylka
King

Polish, Danish, or Lithuanian

One of the most well rounded of colors, choices under purple provide for a larger, more army based culture with adequate navy and trade. The Danish option is for one adament on settling Scandanavia with little contest - yet willing to (an extent) set the vast green fields of greater Euope temporarily aside. The Polish are highest recommendation of choice, not only for secure and prosperous chance of radial growth - but to preserve balance of claims in central Europe. Lithuania is choice for those always fearing the great Eastern tide - a slight benefit in direction of settling European areas open for the Ukraines; yet at definite cost of westward expansion.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	poldanlith.gif
Views:	32
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	59898  
Old December 17, 2003, 17:52   #28
Zylka
King

Ukrainians

Last and certainatly not least - the all powerful, mega populous Ukraine. Of course this isn't definite outcome of such location, but the vast open fields of the breadbasket open for settlement & accented by rich food resources suggest so. Even with modifications making the eastern north far less hospitable - this civ will likely still take crown in land area as well. The only problem is trade bonus, so one had best be looking for offshore exploits and general fear to make up the difference. The Ukraine are quite able to control the Eastern half of the snakeway with an iron fist - for instance; so don't rule it out as a techburb quite yet.

(I as well might add one or two hill islands in the Caspian for those fish - for contest between the Ukraine and [Blue] - ideas?)
Old December 17, 2003, 17:54   #29
Zylka
King

~
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ukranian.gif
Views:	31
Size:	170.0 KB