The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 09:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Mel Gibson's The Passion: "It Is As It Was."
Quote:
PEGGY NOONAN

'It Is as It Was'
Mel Gibson's "The Passion" gets a thumbs-up from the pope.

Wednesday, December 17, 2003 1:06 p.m. EST

Here's some happy news this Christmas season, an unexpected gift for those who have seen and admired Mel Gibson's controversial movie, "The Passion," and wish to support it. The film has a new admirer, and he is a person of some influence. He is in fact the head of the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Pope John Paul II saw the movie the weekend before last, in the Vatican, apparently in his private rooms, on a television, with a DVD, and accompanied by his closest friend, Msgr. Stanislaw Dziwisz. Afterwards and with an eloquent economy John Paul shared with Msgr. Dziwisz his verdict. Dziwisz, the following Monday, shared John Paul's five-word response with the co-producer of The Passion, Steve McEveety.

This is what the pope said: "It is as it was."

Officially the Vatican has avoided formal comment on the film because its contents have been a matter of recently famous dispute and argument. The movie has been accused of being harsh toward Jews, and Mr. Gibson, the film's director, has been accused of anti-Semitism. This summer a group of scholars associated with the U.S. Bishops Council obtained an apparently stolen copy of an early draft of the script and came forward to denounce it as scripturally incorrect and potentially injurious of Christian-Jewish relations. Mr. Gibson protested, and the bishops more or less fled the scene, but the damage was done.
Since then, church officials have tended to treat the film as if it were a car crash that happened down the street: It can complicate your life to go there, and it can get messy. Six weeks ago, at a diplomatic reception in Rome to mark the 25th anniversary of John Paul's papacy, I spoke to an important American cardinal about the controversy and urged him to see the film and come to his own honest conclusions. He blinked anxiously behind thick glasses. No, he said, he shouldn't, the movie is a matter of "dispute." (The church is very odd these days in that it dodges those controversies on which it has known authority and expertise, and seems to embrace those controversies on which it seems to have nothing to add but airy non sequiturs. See the comments this week of Cardinal Renato Martino, who said it was not compassionate of U.S. forces to publicly search Saddam Hussein's head for lice. Yes, how brutal. Why, it was like what Saddam himself would have done with a captured foe, except once he was done with him he wouldn't have a head. But never mind.)

John Paul II, who even with the challenges of his current illness has more good sense than many of his cardinals, knew of the controversy surrounding Mr. Gibson's film, and wanted to see it. Producer Steve McEveety, who had flown to Rome uninvited to show the film to as many Vatican officials as he could, gave the DVD to Msgr. Dziwisz on Friday, Dec. 5. The monsignor and the pope watched it together. Where did they watch it? I asked Mr. McEveety in a telephone interview this week. "At the pope's pad," he laughed. In the papal apartments. "He had to watch it late in the evening," Mr. McEveety said of John Paul. "He's pretty well booked. But he really wanted to see it."
Afterwards, Msgr. Dziwisz gave Mr. McEveety the pope's reaction. The pope found it very powerful, and approved of it. Mr. McEveety was delighted. Msgr. Dziwisz added that the pope said to him, as the film neared its end, five words that he wished to pass on: "It is as it was." The film, the Holy Father felt, tells the story the way the story happened. A week later Mr. McEveety was marveling at what he felt was the oracular quality of the statement. "Five words. Eleven letters." (I asked the pope's veteran press spokesman, Dr Joaquin Navarro-Valles, if he knew if the pope had said anything beyond "It is as it was." He e-mailed back that he did not know of any further comments.)

"I was kind of relieved--it's a scary thing," said Mr. McEveety. "But Billy Graham saw it and was very supportive, and now JPII. The amazing thing is they're in agreement on the film."

Why is this news? Not only because John Paul has, it seems, broken free of the Vatican apparatus to see the film, and not only, obviously, because of who he is, but also because of his history, the facts of his life. He is a scholar, a poet and former playwright who loves the drama and himself considered acting on and writing for the stage professionally.
And no pope has done more for Jewish-Christian relations than he. He has had a profound engagement with Jews and Judaism both since his elevation and before it. He would know cheap when he sees it, and he would know anti-Semitic, too. His approbation would not be given lightly.

Michael Novak, a scholar of this pope, summed it up for me. He said John Paul's life has been marked by "a profound sense of the irrationality and barbarity which fell upon the Jews in World War II, which he saw and experienced, which suffused his desire thereafter to pitch his life close to the Jews. One sees it in his lifelong friendships, in his visit to the Jewish community in Rome, in his unforgettable visit to Auschwitz, and in his deeply affecting visit to Jerusalem. His prayerfulness, his reverence for those who have suffered, and his acute wish that this suffering will be lifted by the grace of God, have been visible and moving to all who have observed him."

"It is as it was."
I don't know if those words will settle the matter. But for me they do, and for many they will.

I saw a screening of "The Passion" in Washington last July with about 50 writers, editors and activists. I worried that it might seem to be anti-Semitic, that it might rouse passions in viewers in a way that would cause pain to Jews and others. I came away reassured. It is a moving film, and what it moves you to is tears, and thought. It doesn't rouse, it seeps in and inspires introspection and consideration. It is the story of a Jew who was the Messiah; it is the story of his loving Jewish mother, his ardent Jewish followers, and his Jewish opponents, who saw him as heretical and dangerous.

He is brutally put to death by non-Jewish Roman soldiers, who are portrayed as sadistic in a businesslike way, on the acquiescence of a tired, non-Jewish cynic who then sought to wash his hands of culpability. It is a film that leaves the viewer indicting not Jews and not Romans and not cynical bureaucrats. It leaves you indicting yourself: it leaves you wondering about what your part in that agonizing drama would have been back then, and what your part is today.

I'm glad the Holy Father chose to see it; I'm glad he has spoken; I'm glad his judgment was, "It is as it was." If this ends the controversy, or quells it, and I believe it should, that would be a beautiful gift to everyone this holiday season.

Ms. Noonan is a contributing editor of The Wall Street Journal and author of "A Heart, a Cross, and a Flag" (Wall Street Journal Books/Simon & Schuster), which you can buy from the OpinionJournal bookstore. Her column appears Thursdays.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/column.../?id=110004442

This should, at the very least, put a damper on those who claim it is the product of a breakaway catholic cult who have twisted "the truth".

Has anyone here seen it yet?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 18, 2003, 02:48   #2
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 15:48
Does Mel still consider JP2 to be an Anti-pope?
Old December 18, 2003, 03:12   #3
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:48
I only wish someone would distribute the film. It is about time we got to see it.

What is the problem here? The film has been so widely publicised that it is bound to draw large audiences.
Old December 18, 2003, 03:19   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:48
how does the pope know how it was?
Old December 18, 2003, 03:44   #5
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Own Goal.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 18, 2003, 04:09   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

was he alive back then?
Old December 18, 2003, 04:28   #7
The Mad Monk
Emperor

He is old.
Old December 18, 2003, 05:11   #8
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 10:48
Re: Mel Gibson's The Passion: "It Is As It Was."
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
This should, at the very least, put a damper on those who claim it is the product of a breakaway catholic cult who have twisted "the truth".
Except for those of us who consider current Pope himself to be part of a breakaway Catholic cult who have twisted "the truth."

(But I am very eager to see it; whatever its politics and theology, at least it sounds like an ambitious, original film made from a genuine feeling for the material -- something in short supply in most movie theaters.)
Old December 18, 2003, 05:12   #9
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yes I may be interested in it as well. I usually hate religious films, but I like Mel Gibson. But Gibson isn't actually in it, is he? Hmm.
Old December 18, 2003, 05:15   #10
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 14:48
Cool, I'm allowed to like it now.
Old December 18, 2003, 05:34   #11
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

As its a Mel Gibson film I'm sure the evil English are to blame
Old December 18, 2003, 05:51   #12
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 16:48
I'm sure they are.
Old December 18, 2003, 06:26   #13
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
I'm sure they are.
Yes Pilate was actually an upper class English Toff who had risen up the ranks of Roaan culture through duplicity and evil cunning and drinking lots of tea
Old December 18, 2003, 06:29   #14
Bereta_Eder
Settler

No, you're actually saved for this one. You were hanging from trees at the time.
Old December 18, 2003, 06:32   #15
Bereta_Eder
Settler

English people circa 34 BC
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	lala.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	59921  
Old December 18, 2003, 06:36   #16
TheStinger
King

Quote:
No, you're actually saved for this one. You were hanging from trees at the time.
Thats not how good ol Mel would see it.

The Celtic people living there at the time were I think sort of average iron age people's who gave the Romans a reasonable fight. Not that they have anything to do with the modern British people.
Old December 18, 2003, 06:43   #17
TheStinger
King

Re: English people circa 34 BC
Quote:
And what connection do you have (other than geographical) with the people who lived under Roman rule in what is now known as modern Greece.

It is just as likely that your ancestors were Turks as Greeks.
Old December 18, 2003, 06:45   #18
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
Not that they have anything to do with the modern British people.

That's true.

An average Englishman
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	lola.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	59922  
Old December 18, 2003, 06:48   #19
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Re: Re: English people circa 34 BC
Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger

And what connection do you have (other than geographical) with the people who lived under Roman rule in what is now known as modern Greece.

It is just as likely that your ancestors were Turks as Greeks.

The obvious effects of malnutricion.

A MAD english cow.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	cow4.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	59923  
Old December 18, 2003, 06:53   #20
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:48
i thought that was miss greece

Mis Novias
Old December 18, 2003, 06:55   #21
Bereta_Eder
Settler

No it's an english mad cow. The cattle are kept in big sheds and raped by Welshmen which is why they go mad.
Old December 18, 2003, 07:03   #22
TheStinger
King

Thats not a slur on the english then is it. I'm sure if you were kept in a shed and raped by welshman you would go mad.

Don't confuse the welsh with English it causes upset
Old December 18, 2003, 07:07   #23
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Honestly, how hard is it to remember the year of Christ's crucifixion?

Last edited by Drake Tungsten; December 18, 2003 at 07:20.
Old December 18, 2003, 07:07   #24
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Who wouldn't?

I've heard confusing Scots with English causes even greater upset.
Old December 18, 2003, 08:50   #25
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Pope John Paul II saw the movie the weekend before last, in the Vatican, apparently in his private rooms, on a television, with a DVD

I thought they stopped doing that in an attempt to prevent piracy.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 18, 2003, 10:05   #26
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

i am to lazy to google...so when was jesus crusified? 24 AC?

i am kinda wondering what are the popes favorite programs and films he watches...
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old December 18, 2003, 11:10   #27
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Look, when the guyyuo have playing Jesus is struck by lightening on two seperate occasions during filming, I think that God is trying to send a message about your film.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 18, 2003, 11:28   #28
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Very true Che.

I wonder what JPII reads into that. People have played Jesus before, and done it in a deliberately slanderous way and they never got struck by lightening. Why this one? Maybe it hit too close to the mark, and its like impersonating a police officer.

If I were a flamboyantly gay stripper in a cop uniform, I wouldn't get in trouble. But if I was really trying to pull off the part, and get people to believe I was a cop then I'd be charged with impersonating a police officer. Maybe thats the problem...

The next thing to worry about is where did the Pope get that copy of the movie? I can just see next week's headlines: "Pope found using Kazaa, RIAA files suit"

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old December 20, 2003, 04:44   #29
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Did anyone actually read the article?
Old December 20, 2003, 10:14   #30
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
Honestly, how hard is it to remember the year of Christ's crucifixion?
Since nobody knows for sure what year it was, if it happened, 34 BC is as good a guess as any!