Old December 19, 2003, 00:53   #1
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
OUCH! Widow Indicts Bush For 9/11
On Hardball with Chris Mathews, the widow of a man killed when the #2 World Trade Center collapsed laid blame for her husband's death squarely at the feet of Bush, Rumsfeld et al. When asked what she would have done to prevent the totality of 9/11 she said the Bush administration could have warned Americans about the potential of hijacked airlines being used as missiles based on prior intelligence, including a plot to use an Egyptian airliner as a missile a few years back. Instead, Bush sat before a group of children for ~25 minutes and Rumsfeld sat at his desk for ~45 minutes until the Pentagon was hit...

Not only would the occupants of the second tower (actually both towers) been given advance warning so they could have started evacuating immediately instead of wondering it the attack on the first tower was an accident, the passengers on board the other planes would have had warning and could have prevented the hijackers from accomplishing their missions ala UA 93... And that's just for starters and doesn't rely on what could have been done via airport/airline security, just the information that hijacking airliners for use as missiles was possible given intelligence at the time...

I don't know, I've been reluctant to blame Bush for 9/11 but this woman has obvioulsy been studying what happened and she put into words the ineptness with which the Bush administration acted before and during the attack...
Old December 19, 2003, 00:55   #2
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:51
Yeah, hindsight is great, isn't it? I bet the Catholic church is still kicking itself about how it failed to prevent the Reformation.
Old December 19, 2003, 00:58   #3
Space05us
King

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I know, lets put her as head of security, whatever the title may be, and see how she fares.
Old December 19, 2003, 01:03   #4
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 08:51
If you ask me, it was her fault for letting her husband go to work.
Old December 19, 2003, 01:42   #5
Berzerker
Emperor

I don't agree, it's not like the intelligence community was oblivious to the potential of such an attack inspite of Condoleeza Rice's claim no one could have predicted the use of airliners as missiles. I suspect we weren't warned because of the impact on the airline business, etc. But I'd call the failure to warn Americans negligent... People in those towers and on those airliners had no information about what was happening and that was a result of the government not informing us about what Al Qaida had in the works... Hell, I hadn't heard of Al Qaida until 9/11...
Old December 19, 2003, 01:49   #6
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
If you ask me, it was her fault for letting her husband go to work.
Maybe if the government had warned people that airliners might be hijacked and used as missiles, your sarcasm might be somewhat valid. Then had her husband remained in the 2nd tower based on the belief the 1st tower was just an accident he would carry some responsibility for his choice not to evacuate immediately...
Old December 19, 2003, 01:55   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

They wouldn't have evacuated all highrises in America on a tip like that.
Old December 19, 2003, 02:00   #8
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:51
But the people in the building told the employees to go back into the second tower. Someone should have told them to evacuate the second building after knowing two things:

1.) This was probably the terrorist attack that intelligence had indicated would happen

2.) They knew that there were other planes that had diverted from their flight paths
Old December 19, 2003, 02:04   #9
Space05us
King

okay so what if someone said Al Qaida is going to use an airplane as a missle. okay, and they could use a van to blow up a building. Or a person can walk into a bar with a bomb strapped to his chest and blow himself up. But that doesnt mean that we're going to inspect every van, and person who walks into a night club. So what if we had been informed that they could use an airplane as a missle, whats that mean?
Old December 19, 2003, 02:08   #10
rev
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:51
It means someone would have done something when four hijacked airliners start heading for the biggest metropolises in this country.
Old December 19, 2003, 02:12   #11
Space05us
King

I never heard anything about the control towers having the knowledge that the planes were hijacked, as far as I understood they were simply off course and not responding to communications.
Old December 19, 2003, 02:30   #12
MrFun
Emperor

shoulda, coulda, woulda

yadda, yadda, yadda
Old December 19, 2003, 02:34   #13
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I bet the Catholic church is still kicking itself about how it failed to prevent the Reformation.

Space05us and MrFun are right on this issue.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 19, 2003, 02:35   #14
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
I bet the Catholic church is still kicking itself about how it failed to prevent the Reformation.

. . . . . . . and MrFun are right on this issue.

You feeling alright there, Imran??
Old December 19, 2003, 02:40   #15
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Even a blind horse can find water sometimes.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old December 19, 2003, 02:40   #16
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Even a blind horse can find water sometimes.
Ha -- that was soooo not funny.
Old December 19, 2003, 02:42   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I thought it was... and that is all that counts .
Old December 19, 2003, 02:49   #18
Berzerker
Emperor

Quote:
They wouldn't have evacuated all highrises in America on a tip like that.
Not before the attack, but at least people would have some reason to react appropriately after the first tower was hit and not just assume it was an accident. And the passengers on board all the planes would have had a clue about their fate, not just the people on board UA 93 which was diverted away from it's intended use by informed passengers...

Sheesh! Listening to you guys you'd think it was perfectly reasonable for the people at Pearl Harbor to be caught off guard, yet commanders in charge there did get blasted for negligence... I've agreed with your view in the past but the more I learn the more I'm getting the impression our government royally screwed up. We were treated to decades of warnings and education about what to do during the cold war but 9/11 was...well...a total surprise. Why? Because the government apparently decided we shouldn't be informed... Not good... I have to agree with this woman inspite of the 20/20 defense...
Old December 19, 2003, 03:08   #19
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

WOW!
Old December 19, 2003, 08:19   #20
Q Classic
Emperor

cool. can we blame bush for other things, too?

it's his fault that i have this goddamned flu.
Old December 19, 2003, 10:38   #21
GePap
Emperor

Blah- the president was supposed to hear of the attack, rush to a phone and order the evactuation of the second tower? Why? Giulliani, the chefi of NYPD and FDNY would deserve as much blame if that is the charge.

If she whishes to Blame bush for it she can blame him for not following up post-haste against Al Qaeada as the outgoing Clintonites asked for, but not the very events as they happened that day.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old December 19, 2003, 10:48   #22
The diplomat
King

Hind sight is great but let's be fair. What do you really think the reaction of the american people would have been if before the attack (when nobody believed such an attack could happen), Bush et al. had suddenly gone around warning people not to fly and not to got to work because terrorists may try to crash jets into a building? Bush would have been ridiculed and accused of creating a false sense of panic!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old December 19, 2003, 10:53   #23
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Bush would have been ridiculed and accused of creating a false sense of panic!
Normally I think you are a loon (), but you are spot on with this. I mean, remember all the warnings and the lights and all that jazz after 9/11 and every little bit of info was checked out. People mocked it viciously. Can you imagine what it would have been like prior to 9/11?
Old December 19, 2003, 11:43   #24
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I dislike Bush, but what that lady is saying is unfair. He's the President, not a psychic.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old December 19, 2003, 11:54   #25
VJ
King

"Ouch"? Some greedy hag wants to use his dead husband as an excuse to earn $$$BIGBUCKS$$$ from wherever there is money, using the laughing stock of the whole worl justice system of the United States. I wouldn't call this news.

In other words, who cares?

Quote:
Yeah, hindsight is great, isn't it? I bet the Catholic church is still kicking itself about how it failed to prevent the Reformation.
Old December 19, 2003, 12:14   #26
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

What she is saying is correct, but her specifics are wong.

Let me lay out for you the sequence of culpability. This stretches over four administrations and twenty years, but it doesn't really get interesting until Clinton.

Clinton, in order to appease the Republican Party, appoints a Republican to head the FBI, Louis Freeh (or however his name is spelled). Freeh hates Clinton's guts, and is a rather insuborindate leader. Clinton should have sacked him, but doesn't.

Despite mounting evidence that terorists are no longer targetting Americans, but rather America, LF continues to harrass and dismiss the anti-terorrism experts in the FBI. Most of the FBIs efforts are expended on drug interdiction. Despite this, the FBI manages to foil several major plots, including the millenium plot, Ramsey Yousef's plot to blow up mutliple airliners, etc. Clinton asks for more anti-terrorism powers, and Congress refuses some but grants others.

Then Khobar Towers. Then the embassies are attacked. Clinton relatiates by firing missiles, some of them destroying a pharmasuetical factory the US still insists was a chem weapon factory. Camps in Afganistan are also hit. When the USS Cole is bombed, Clinton orders a comprehensive policy created to deal with terrorism. It is completed in Dec., 2000. It is handed to the Bush team and they are told that the most important threat they will have to face in their coming Administration is al-Qaeda.

The plans include creating a special task force to coalate and coordinate all anti-terrorism efforts in the US, creat a department of homeland security, make anti-terrorism a primary effort in both the CIA and FBI, more cooperation between the agencies, etc.

They are ignored. Then plan is shunted aside. All invesitgation into the Saudi sources of AQ are stopped, by orders from above.

Aug 6, while setting records for spending the most time on vacation for a President in history, Bush is briefed at his Crawford ranch that AQ is planning to hijack multiple airlines. The AG, Ashcroft, considers the threat serious enough that he stops flying on civilian airlines.

Several of our allies, including both Israel and Germany, are telling the US that they have intel that AQ is planning a major attack on the US in the very near future.

They are ignored.

9/11, the Bush Administration finally takes its head out of the sand, but not before flying 150 prominent Saudis out of the U.S. (including two of bin Laden's brothers) before the FBI can question them.

They pull out the Clinton plan and begin to use it.

Had the Republican Party not so hated Clinton and completely dismiss his administration's effort, had they followed up on the plan that had been handed to them, and had they not quashed the FBI's invesitgations into the Saudis, it is possible that 9/11 could have been, if not prevented, at least mitigated.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 19, 2003, 14:12   #27
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Che, Che, Che... is everything political to you?

Quote:
Sheesh! Listening to you guys you'd think it was perfectly reasonable for the people at Pearl Harbor to be caught off guard, yet commanders in charge there did get blasted for negligence...
Actually, it is very reasonable not to expect the inconcievable, even if you are warned. Nobody really expected the Japanese to bomb Pearl Harbor, and nobody would've really believed that there would be a foreign terrorist attack on US soil.

Didn't your parents ever warn you about something to which you replied (in mind if not by mouth) "bullshit", only to find out they were right? If not, consider yourself incredibly unique.
Old December 19, 2003, 15:01   #28
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Of course, John... and in the end, of course, the leftyish Dems are right and the Republicans are always wrong... it is che we are talking about .
Old December 19, 2003, 15:12   #29
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Where was this overriding concern with terrorism supossedly held by the Clinton administration people keep harping on? I never saw it in thier actions.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 19, 2003, 15:22   #30
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 06:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
I never heard anything about the control towers having the knowledge that the planes were hijacked, as far as I understood they were simply off course and not responding to communications.
In the most tightly controlled commercial airspace in the world, and you have two aircraft in the air at the same time that deviate from course under control, but do not repond to communications? If that doesn't raise alarm bells to to 38,000 ****ing feet, then someone really had to have their heads up their asses.