Old December 19, 2003, 07:13   #1
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 3, 2010
*lurking deactivated*
Greetings, all folk.
They call me Enigma_Nova, and some of you may know me.

For those of you that don't, I recently connected to the internet (see join date) and started exploring Multiplayer possibilities for Turn-Based strategy.

Armed with only my analysis and willpower, I ventured forth in search of experience and wisdom.
Now I arrive to mesh my mind with some of the world's greatest.

There are some things I need to know first:

1. Black Hole Bug. This eats valuable information.
I could get around this by doing a searck for all threads in this forum, but would need to search the forum.
How do I do that?

2. Saved games.
I'm not going to get a good feel for this game by seeing a screenie and trying to clairvoyantly fill in the missing bits.
I want a loadable example of what the game is currently like - so I can see the place for myself.
Is this possible?

3. Comments.
I, like all the other folk here, have a mind and want to use its great potential.
I wish (after viewing the save) to post analyses, thoughts, ideas and other such things vital to a strategy game.
What is the proper procedure for doing this?
I also would like "Online Hive Chat" when it becomes available - especially with minds like that of Kody.

4. Questionable ethics
What's the list of all the disallowed actions in the game?
Or, rather, where can I find it?

5. What's my place?
Obviously I am not the sole participant in this game. I need to know who's doing what, and to whom I must answer.
I also require information on my duties as a Hiverian - how often do I attend here and when? When and where are the chats?

6. Unwritten Law & Flaws of man.
Not that I'm likely to care...
What are the social axioms and paths to respect in this place?
How do I manage to get my analyses and opinions valued?
Also, what part(s) of this place can I question, and what do you consider sacred?

Yes, I'm the smartass that tried to take over the ACPSG. I have ideas, and like them to be actively considered - too many people have prejudiced minds, and I suppose I'll leave it at that.

I have a lot of catching up to do.
Old December 19, 2003, 08:01   #2
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
1. Black Hole Bug. This eats valuable information.
I could get around this by doing a searck for all threads in this forum, but would need to search the forum.
How do I do that?
A far as I know the best way to deal with this is to set options to order the threads ascending then descending. Hopefully you get all the posts.

You can't search private forums at apolyton.
Quote:
2. Saved games.
I'm not going to get a good feel for this game by seeing a screenie and trying to clairvoyantly fill in the missing bits.
I want a loadable example of what the game is currently like - so I can see the place for myself.
Is this possible?
The game can be downloaded from the turn tracking thread.
Quote:
3. Comments.
I, like all the other folk here, have a mind and want to use its great potential.
I wish (after viewing the save) to post analyses, thoughts, ideas and other such things vital to a strategy game.
What is the proper procedure for doing this?
I also would like "Online Hive Chat" when it becomes available - especially with minds like that of Kody.
The proper procedure is to read things, and give comments. The hive has a pretty bad problem with infiltration, so a fair amount of the strategy happens behind the scenes.

The online chat is usually on MSN, if you can get MSN then contact me
Quote:
4. Questionable ethics
What's the list of all the disallowed actions in the game?
Or, rather, where can I find it?
The list of disallowed actions can be found in a topped thread on the main forum. There are other issues, and if you get into more complex stuff you have to ask find out whether it's illegal or not.
Quote:
5. What's my place?
Obviously I am not the sole participant in this game. I need to know who's doing what, and to whom I must answer.
I also require information on my duties as a Hiverian - how often do I attend here and when? When and where are the chats?
Talk to other people's and try not to put them down... too much. Your actions decide what you end up doing. We had a very loose command structure before. I'm currently trying to tighten it up. Voltaire is currently the head of the hive. However, HongHu and myself have been running the day to day business the last few days.

As a Hiverian you have no duties, aside from making your presence known every once in a while.

Chats are on MSN. However, we never could get a formal time set, so generally many of the chats happen spontaneously. Forums generally hold much of the decision making.
Quote:
6. Unwritten Law & Flaws of man.
Not that I'm likely to care...
What are the social axioms and paths to respect in this place?
How do I manage to get my analyses and opinions valued?
Also, what part(s) of this place can I question, and what do you consider sacred?
This forum has very few social axioms. I guess my only suggestion is to not piss anyone off, and watch what is happening to figure out how this place works.

At the moment almost all posts in the hive gets read. If you're not completely off track you'll get a reply.

Can't think of anything we hold sacred.

A question of my own. Why didn't you bother to check here back when you first joined?

Bear with me the departure of the university has some ramifications, and it will have to be discussed. If you manage to get on MSN I'll include you in the conversation.

Also I had a suspicion that you were an infiltrator for the cycon. So I'm probably going to have a discussion with some of the others on how much access privilage to hive strategy you'll get initally. It's mainly the diplomancy that is the most important to keep secure so shouldn't be a problem to let you browse the turn. I assume you're interested in the turn so I might ask you to run an analysis to see what ideas you have.

As we get more used to you around, and you show how you can contribute I'm sure reservations will disappear.

Last edited by Kody; December 19, 2003 at 11:57.
Old December 19, 2003, 08:31   #3
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Infiltrator for the Cycon:

Take one look at my avatar and tell me what gives you THAT impression.

If I know correctly, MWIA is in the CyCon, and we were allies in the ACPSG. Not any more, mind you.

Laurentius tried to stinge some details out of me, so I basically told him that I was unauthorised to give information
(and that if I were I'd rip him off so very badly)

I have the save game.
I'll need the PASSWORD to open it, you know!
Plus I'm not too sure what to, and what not to do with these save files. Say I move something by accident - I'd not want to interrupt the game in progress.

MSN? How do I get onto that?
(Better yet direct me to the site - I'm a smart fellow and can probably figure it out)

Couldn't come straight back because I was busy with the ACPSG.
Now that's gone in a handbasket I guess I need a new way to increase my postcount.

I repeat: Turn has password. Please help.
Old December 19, 2003, 08:37   #4
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Yes partly that, also because one of the cycon recently came up with information about the hive that he had no right to know.

I'm inclined to give you the password as generally a infiltrator keeps quiet and you haven't been recently, but I want to double check my decision with one of the others first.

You can download MSN here.
http://msnmessenger-download.com/

With fiddling with the turns, it's mainly that you're not doing exploring with save files.
Old December 19, 2003, 11:43   #5
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 08:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well Kody has answered your questions very thoroughly. Just want to say that every ideas and suggestions are valued here. I've been actually very hopeful from the beginning that you would become a major contributor. So again welcome on board.

My msn address is hhu003 at mchsi.com.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 19, 2003, 12:53   #6
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 14:51
I'm j_maunders at hotmail dot com

Nice to have you with us

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old December 19, 2003, 19:09   #7
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 15:51
Well, I don´t think I need to introduce myself after yesterday´s chat

Good to see you´re active, I almost gave up hope regarding our recruiting program...
Old December 19, 2003, 22:03   #8
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Well, you'll eventually get someone that knows what they're on about.

I'm still working out what thing's doing what in this game, and will probably sit back and watch for 3 turns or so.
Old December 19, 2003, 22:53   #9
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:51
Welcome, Comrade Enigma. Glad to see you around.

On the Hive's political situation:

Chairman Voltaire (all hail him forever!) is the guy in charge, though he only really sits around, telling us that he's writting a new constitution. Last I checked, he was working on our third one.

Other than recognizing the power of a figurehead, there's really no limits on the jobs you can hold, and how you can assist the Hive. Some do as little as sit around and tap out the occasional message, while some analyze the game to a complex level. As I see it, this is a very informal atmosphere.

The only real limit on a person's power is the will of the people as a whole. Discussion of game issues is key, though it sometimes does slow down.

And, feel free to spam. :P