Old December 20, 2003, 02:12   #1
Leusugi
Settler

Local Time: 14:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Grunt rush! Momentum strategy go!
Hello all, I discovered the Apolyton Moo 2 forums a while ago and it helped my gameplay tremendously (thanks Originalbork!!) and I noticed there is some very good information on these forums as well for SMAC.

My favorite way to play SMAC in SP is to be highly aggressive; trying to win in as few turns as possible. I believe that type of strategy is called a 'momentum strategy' around here? I am wondering if any brutal warlords here could give me some pointers?

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but my favorite faction is the Spartan Federation.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

Leu
Old December 23, 2003, 17:32   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 07:54
My recommendation is to switch to herbal tea, take up yoga, rid yourself of your destructive aggressiveness and start playing the Gaians more often.

But if that doesn't work...
I personally find the Hive, Drones or even the much maligned Cult as more natural momentum factions.

The Police Planned version of the Hive lets you build lots of stuff and you don't have to worry about drones much. You can crank out a ton of units with your great support rating.

The biggest problem I have with the Spartans is that it takes forever to build stuff. The Cult has the same problem but at least you can capture a native army quickly.

Vel's strat guide is a good starting point for improving your game, but if you really want to get good you have to bite the bullet and start doing some MP games.
Old December 23, 2003, 20:19   #3
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 15:54
Yeah Santi's momentum can hardly be described as grunts considering how much more expensive they are, and for the sake of that little extra morale i'd say stuff it and go with the Hive or Drones, attack weapons normally outnumber defensive armour by enough so that you don't need morale anyways.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old December 23, 2003, 23:48   #4
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I have heard of Miriam going early with the rush 1-1-1's. Her support and +25% fanatical attack may allow for this.

Personally I think it a dangersous gambit. A lot of factions have decent early defensive capability.

Morgie can start with synth.

Yang is hidden behind perimeters.

Zak researches so quickly that by the time you find him he is bound to have something that counter mere 1 weapon strength.

and so on.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old December 26, 2003, 21:42   #5
JustinSane
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 10:54
With his natural defensive tactic (probe conversion) taken away, and considering his support problems, predisposition to FM/wealth and the expense of Synth defenders when compared with scout patrols, I'd think the Believing scout rush would simply bury Morgan, level two armor notwithstanding. Two attackers could take out one defender, and three would be overwhelming.
Old December 27, 2003, 10:56   #6
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Yes, Morgan can't produce Synth Garrisons fast enough to beat a 1-1-1 rush from Mim, if she's on the same continent. I find the CyCon. however, with the starting tech for 2-1-1 units, also very good for an early rush. The best time to rush is almost always with impact rovers howver 4-1-2 units are pretty unstoppable when used enmasse at the right point in time.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old December 27, 2003, 15:55   #7
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 15:54
Yeah, having 40 impact rovers going crazy is fun

(though even 5 or 6 really early do the trick, considering you'd need a perim+plasma to even slow them)
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old December 28, 2003, 00:25   #8
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 09:54
Naw, you just need one probe team to stop them. And a little energy.
Old December 28, 2003, 00:44   #9
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:54
I don't care for playing too aggressively, and often concede to the AI's wishes. I just don't like short games.
Old December 28, 2003, 01:06   #10
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I'm all up for long games. Conquering all but a size 1 base in a polar desert and surrounding it with 20 units to stop it gathering resources.

Then I take my sweet time transcending.
Old December 28, 2003, 14:38   #11
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 16:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
I'm all up for long games. Conquering all but a size 1 base in a polar desert and surrounding it with 20 units to stop it gathering resources.

Then I take my sweet time transcending.
Why don`t you just disable Total war rule? Then you can transcend in peace.
Old December 29, 2003, 04:49   #12
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:54
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Game seems to pronounce me as the winner when I'm the only person left on the map.
Old December 30, 2003, 14:28   #13
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Local Time: 16:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
Game seems to pronounce me as the winner when I'm the only person left on the map.
Even if you have disabled military victory right from the start?

I remember game giving you message on about uniting the planet under you banner (monument), but it didn`t recognise it as a victory if the Total war rule is disabled.
Are you sure that the game name you a winner even if the Total war rule is disabled?
Old December 31, 2003, 15:36   #14
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 04:54
I use "rolling wave" attacks.

Send in the obsolete units first, like Impact Infantry, followed by Missile Infantry, followed by Chaos Infantry.

While having that many units is a drain on your economy, its fun to watch a sea of your units rolling over the hill while you have Lal screaming at you via comlink and......well, I've said to much.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis