Old January 16, 2004, 09:09   #361
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
My mistake... you're in game 2... haven't been all awake while reading this thread for the last few days...
Old January 16, 2004, 09:12   #362
Iron Jackson
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Prince

Local Time: 15:54
Hey conmcb , you´ve got the save.
You´re in game #2. Enjoy it.
Old January 16, 2004, 09:20   #363
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 10:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Jackson
Hey conmcb , you´ve got the save.
You´re in game #2. Enjoy it.
Roger that! Thanks! To both of you.

We have a game thread correct? Ill check right now.
Old January 16, 2004, 09:22   #364
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by conmcb25
(Sorry to see you leave Sir Ralph)
I don't leave. I said, if they want to restart, restart without me. There a difference between that and "I leave". Meaning, if they don't restart, I stay in the game.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 13:51   #365
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 14:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Ask anyone in the games I play, if I am a slow player. You hardly will find anyone who'd say this, at least being serious.
yeah SR is probably the fastest player I know, you be wise to keep him in.

Anyway I'm dispointed to have missed this whole tourney thing, if anyone drops out I'd be more than willing to take their place.
OPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 13:53   #366
Conqueror
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton UniversityC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
King

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
Anyway I'm dispointed to have missed this whole tourney thing, if anyone drops out I'd be more than willing to take their place.
OPD, you still can join, check out the 1st page of the thread, i think that there is 1 slot open on game #6
Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 15:48   #367
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

What is the status of the other games? I'm on the list right?
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 16:54   #368
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:54
Quote:

I don't leave. I said, if they want to restart, restart without me. There a difference between that and "I leave". Meaning, if they don't restart, I stay in the game.
If that's the case I would vote to not restart. 3800 BC to ET.
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 17:09   #369
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by SirOsis
What is the status of the other games? I'm on the list right?
SirOsis, it looks like you are in Game #6, but Game #6 is still one person short. So I guess when a fourth player is located, your game should launch.

As a matter of fact, if OPD is still interested, he could join Game #6 and then you'll have a full game.
Old January 16, 2004, 22:06   #370
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:54
Sent some info to ADG concerning me in game #5.
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 22:21   #371
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Guess I should look at the first page more often. I'm GMT-8.

What is the password for?
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 22:36   #372
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by SirOsis
Guess I should look at the first page more often. I'm GMT-8.

What is the password for?
You PM or Email Octavian X with the password you want to use (mention the game you're in). Then when he sets up the game, he enters everyones password for their turn. The then skips everyones turn (to make sure all starting locations are basically fair since he's the one whose is making the maps). Finally, Octavian will then send the initial game save to the first person in the group - and you're off!
Old January 16, 2004, 23:35   #373
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
O.k., first we vote to restart, so that Sir Ralph will be happy with the turn order, no big deal really, as the game has just started and it's no real problem to accomidate him. So, now, I have another turn that I can (and will) play and send on, but at this point, should I?

The thing that is "not fun" to me, is not knowing if we now need to get someone else to play Sir Ralph's part or not. Because, Now I'm really uncertain as to if he'll 'stay the course' or not. I was wanting to see now things went for the first few days, and to me, they have gone very quickly, despite the e-mail problem at the very first. I had received 4 saves in a 36 hour period and sent off 3 (not counting the first with the e-mail Issue) saves in 24 hours and could have sent off another if I wasn't working on this post.

Granted, we want to try to get these games going and over with as fast as we can. But not knowing if someone is going to leave because of some order of play issue, that MIGHT not have any effect on how fast this game will go (2 days from now or 6 months from now, as NYE was saying OR 2 years) because it MIGHT actually be better the way that it currently is. You don't know until you try. With the strange scheaduals that both Paddy and I are both on, it MIGHT actually be slower going the correct way. So, I didn;t vote against you, I voted to keep going and see how it goes for 5 turns or so. And up to this point, it's been going much faster than I even had reason to expect. Great!!

But then Sir Ralph grouses about it a little bit more and I finally agree to have this game restart, because I want to see it finish (and hopefully win it ). And now you want to leave because we are finally accomidating you. My post was, for one thing, after I had just gotten home and happy that I had played my 3rd turn in under 27 hours and was looking forward to another 1 to 2 turns in the same time frame, just before going to bed after working 12 hours (at 8AM, mind you). Then I had read Sir Ralph's post and I then reluctantly agreed to restart, even though, in all appearances, it will slow things down and not speed them up (do the math based an actuals and not theorticals).

Now, I'm uncertain as to if we will even have him playing at all. Can I say for certain that he won't get 'tired' of this game, because of something or other that he might not like? Maybe not now, but 6 months down the road? And I want to be as serious as possible when it comes to this (and the following games) and I don't want to deal with this daily uncertanty.

So, to that effect, I would rather that Sir Ralph find another game and lets replace him with someone else. I know that OPD wants in, and we can just have Sir Ralph (or the Donut Preist) give him his password and he (and us) can continue to play.

I will play my turn and send it to both OPD and Sir Ralph. If Sir Ralph wants to play, then I'm all ready to play. And, If he doesn't like it, then we can continue with OPD.

Sir Ralph, the ball is in your court.

E_T
E_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 00:53   #374
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:54
Oh brother. That was really uncalled for E_T. SR does not quit. He has said he will not quit. You can take the fact that he would not quit something like this once started to the bank, more so than any other person I know on Poly.

Is he prickly? Yes. Is he a bit of a curmudgeon, like me? Yes. Is he unsatisfied with the state of C3C as it stands? Yes. Actually, I think you can chalk up most of his comments to that last item.

Will he quit? No.

Let's leave this alone. Your game can make its way and best of luck to all of you. There is very little need to hold things up while we squabble.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 01:49   #375
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 06:54
game 3 is nearly done with 3900 BC
smellymummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 04:21   #376
Conqueror
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton UniversityC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
King

Game 1 stalled almost immediately after it started = ADG cannot load the game in v.1.12

Anyone got any great advice ? I'd really hate to play with 1.00 and have to suffer the extreme penalty from (even accidental) RCP build and non-working FP.
Old January 17, 2004, 05:18   #377
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Does it make much of a difference if I play the game with 1.00, while the other players uses 1.12 Beta? I can fine load the game, so I don't think it'll make much of a difference... only the gameinfo when being viewed might not be correctly on my computer, but all the calculations will be happening on the last (or is it first) player's turn anyway...
Old January 17, 2004, 05:39   #378
Conqueror
King

/edit: removed obsolete information

Last edited by Conqueror; January 20, 2004 at 09:26.
Old January 17, 2004, 05:45   #379
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Updated player list:

Game 1:
ADG (GMT + 1) a_grau AT hotmail DOT com
Conqueror (GMT +2) conqueror AT mbnet DOT fi)
Rommel2D (GMT - 6) jwala AT fastmail DOT fm
predesad (GMT - 6) predesad AT yahoo DOT com

Game 2:
Iron Jackson (GMT +1) warrenlynch AT gmx DOT de
conmcb25 (GMT - 5) conmcb25 AT bluemarble DOT net
GhengisFarb (GMT - 6)
Soltz (GMT - 8) jsosiak AT shaw DOT ca

Game 3:
Wittlich (GMT - 8) wittlich AT sbcglobal DOT net
smellymummy (GMT - 7) sm AT inethighway DOT com
notyoueither (GMT - 7) notyoueither AT hotmail DOT com
CerberusIV (GMT) CerberusIVciv3 AT aol DOT com

Game 4:
BigFree (GMT - 8) bigfree1 AT comcast DOT net
Sir Ralph (GMT + 1) sirralph AT gmx DOT com
E_T () royparrish AT earthlink DOT net
Paddy the Scot (GMT + 11) paddythescot AT hotmail DOT com

Game 5:
Beta (GMT - 5) brucehynes57 AT rogers DOT com
Arnelos (GMT -5) arnelos AT aol DOT com
SAMUEL2904 (GMT - 6) samuel2904 AT hotmail DOT com
Master Zen (GMT - 6) civ AT masterzen DOT net

Game 6:
SirOsis (GMT - 8) sirosis AT hotmail DOT com
Trampler.se (GMT + 1) trampler_civ3 AT yahoo DOT com
OPD

Dropped players: (Missing to send their password within the timelimit)
Tarquinius (GMT + 1) redmar_damsma AT hotmail DOT com
rogerurb (GMT) rogerurb AT netvisao DOT pt

Civs:

Game 1:
Conqueror (English)
ADG (Dutch)
Rommel (Zulu)
Predesad (Celts)

Game 2:
Iron Jackson (Spain)
Conmcb25 (Germany)
Ghengis Farb (Russia)
Soltz (Rome)

What are the Civs for the other players?

Last edited by Adagio; January 17, 2004 at 07:41.
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 06:12   #380
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 23:54
Game 4:
Big Free (Dutch)
E_T (Persians)
Sir Ralph (Koreans)
Paddy T S (Japan)
Old January 17, 2004, 06:46   #381
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 14:54
I'm sorry E_T but please don't involve me in any disagreements like this, especially when I have friends on both sides of the fence.
So don't send me any saves.

SR will likely play, he's probably just a bit concerned that you and BF are going to gang up on him.

Anyway what do I have to do about game 6? Can we start it with 3 players????
Old January 17, 2004, 07:14   #382
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by E_T
O.k., first we vote to restart, so that Sir Ralph will be happy with the turn order, no big deal really, as the game has just started and it's no real problem to accomidate him. So, now, I have another turn that I can (and will) play and send on, but at this point, should I?

The thing that is "not fun" to me, is not knowing if we now need to get someone else to play Sir Ralph's part or not. Because, Now I'm really uncertain as to if he'll 'stay the course' or not.
I never ever was the reason that a PBEM game died, and I never will be. I always stuck it out, be it fun or not.

Quote:
I was wanting to see now things went for the first few days, and to me, they have gone very quickly, despite the e-mail problem at the very first. I had received 4 saves in a 36 hour period and sent off 3 (not counting the first with the e-mail Issue) saves in 24 hours and could have sent off another if I wasn't working on this post.
That says nothing. I have seen PBEMs going around in a one-hour pace (for all four players!) and up to five turns in a day around ~3500BC, which slowed down later to a one turn per week pace.

Quote:
Granted, we want to try to get these games going and over with as fast as we can. But not knowing if someone is going to leave because of some order of play issue, that MIGHT not have any effect on how fast this game will go (2 days from now or 6 months from now, as NYE was saying OR 2 years) because it MIGHT actually be better the way that it currently is.
Ok, seems you didn't understand it yet, so I repeat it for the tenth time: The turn order is not a problem, it is at most a minor annoyance. In fact, I'm upset about carelessness and the "Let's get this thing running despite of flaws" attitude more than about the turn order issue itself. And I don't blame it on Octavian X. Everybody makes mistakes.

What I have a major problem with, is the game itself. When the tournament discussion started and I decided to join, it seemed as if the next patch would fix it thoroughly. Then came 1.13 and 1.15, and the opinion grew that all this so far is a gigantic beta test and the game in its final state will be something completely different. Sorry, but I don't have fun neither to play with a beta version (and thus, having to keep it and to take care that I switch every game to its own version, which I can't be arsed with) nor to build an empire with one corruption rule and have later imposed other rules on it by upgrading.

Sorry, but the game is not in the right state for a tournament now. I will gladly discuss and probably play in another tournament, that may start about a month after an official patch, when the majority says "That is it!"

Quote:
So, to that effect, I would rather that Sir Ralph find another game and lets replace him with someone else. I know that OPD wants in, and we can just have Sir Ralph (or the Donut Preist) give him his password and he (and us) can continue to play.
What is a Donut Priest, and why do you call me so?

Quote:
I will play my turn and send it to both OPD and Sir Ralph. If Sir Ralph wants to play, then I'm all ready to play. And, If he doesn't like it, then we can continue with OPD.

Sir Ralph, the ball is in your court.
I stayed in the game so far, and would have stayed in it till the end, mainly because I was asked to. But this solution has its merits. So unless the other players in my group object, OPD is it. More power to OPD . Don't stick me in another group. Count me out of the entire tournament.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 07:33   #383
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Oh I see I was dropped out
Sorry for being so sloppy not to respond timely in this thread. I slowed the entire process of starting the games..
Good luck to all players
Old January 17, 2004, 12:28   #384
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
What are the Civs for the other players?
Game #3

Wittlich Playing as the Indians

smellymummy Playing as the Americans

notyoueither Playing as the Persians

CerberusIV Playing as the Spanish
Old January 17, 2004, 12:49   #385
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
What is a Donut Priest, and why do you call me so?
OctX, as he bows down and worships the almighty donut,. i.e. a priest...

E_T
Old January 17, 2004, 14:48   #386
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 09:54
While I'm not upset about the beta testing process (SP is better than ever as far as I've seen) the glitches in PBEM continue to disappoint me. When I loaded the save from game 1, it showed me the end of ADG's turn without asking for a password. After I played my turn, it sent me on to predesad's turn without saving and ending mine (all without passwords). I reloaded the turn and everyting worked like it should, but I know about all the other players' starting positions and would like a restart.

Anyone have an idea if this bug is related to ADG passing me the turn from his unpatched version? Octavian X, did you start the game with v1.12? It is supposed to start seafaring civs in coastal locations.
Old January 17, 2004, 15:02   #387
E_T
Emperor

I see that I need to point out a few things

First off, It's been a very rough last few months for me. I've been out of work more than I've been working. I was about Evicted in November because I couldn't get my rent payed. But we worked out an arrangement, that I'm still paying off.

My Domestic Partner is Disabled and gets very little money from the Government. So, I work my @SS off making sure that we keep a roof over our heads and power. phone (so that we can stay online with our DSL) and water. And maybe food to eat.

In all of that time, I've continued to play Civ and have been very busy with the ISDG. My work has changed, but I'm now looking like I'll be in a job that will be long term, with a good chance of getting hired permanently. So, I expect to be working this kind of shift for a long time.

This tournamant comes along and I'm looking to pit my skills against all of these other people, in a manner that I can try to do my best and hope that they will do the same. We hash this out and finally get the game going, although there is a small problem with the turn order. But we go to see how it will go before we decide to restart it. And it does go much faster than resonably expected. So, there is no apparent reason to change something that is working, because of the different things that are all involved. I've only gotten a couple of turns more done in the same time frame, with the people that I've played with all being online at the same time, so this looks like it will work. But then Sir Ralph still wanted to change the order, because he doesn't know what will happen 6 months down the road, then I finally agree, although I felt that we were making a mistake.

And yes, I'm not too happy with the state of C3C, especially after all of the beta testing that was done before it's release. But I'm still playing it, because it will get fixed. And everything will be o.k., but not right at this moment.

AND at the same time, the day before yesterday, my DP (who has been having major back pains), tells me that the tests that the doctors have run shows that he very might have a degenerative condition in his lower spine and might (at the worst case) have to ultimately be consined to a wheelchair. Of course, this would also require us to move to another location that is more wheelchair freindly, not even 6 months after we had moved into here. He will be going to see a specialist and we hope that extra calcium and other drugs can help prevent any further problems.

Because of all of this, my patience has run a bit thin.

So, when Sir Ralph had said that he didn;t want to be included, if we did restart, and all of his other posts about the game, that was, to say, the last straw. I'm playing this, to help keep my sanity and to see who I'll fair against all of these other heavies. To throw that additional element of uncertanty. I don't need it. I want someone I can count as being dedicated to playing, so that, win or lose, I can say that I played against their bests plays. I can't say that with certanty with all that I've read from Sir Ralph the last few days.

So, I did what I did. I do Apoligize to Sir Ralph, but I'm not in the mood to coddle someone over a GD game. I don't have the time nor the energy to deal with his whining over a possible non-issue or some perceived affront, either now or in the future. I want to play this and do my best and assume that my oppenents are doing the same. That's all, plain and simple. I don't need anything else to cludder that. And Frankly, at this point in time, I won't stand for it.

I know that Sir Ralph had been a "gold list" PBEM'er, but I can't truely say that I can be my best, IF I can't say that he's not giving his best. If I win (or lose) this game, I can't look in the mirror and say that I did it all against their whole hearted best, if there is that uncertanty that they didn't give it their all. With everything else going on, I don't need that uncertanty.

Again, sorry that this has happened, but I felt that it was needed.

E_T
Old January 17, 2004, 16:11   #388
predesad
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 08:54
ET, i am truly sorry 2 hear about all ur problems & have included u in my prayers, hope & pray the best 4 ur situation.

Can't we all just get along?

All I am saying, is give peace a chance.

Make love not war!

I propose that this whole issue be dropped, ended right onw 4 the sake of the tourney. Sir Ralph, stay in the game. All members of that particular game make a decision to restart or not, Sir Ralph, stay in regardless. Remember, this is just a game. I am in 10 different PBEM's ask any of my fellow players, i dont whine, i dont complain, i just play. in fact, those games in which there is none of this are the most enjoyable, even one where i seem to b the person who will most likely get wiped out first. because unlike my real life, this is just a game, its not truly important, its just a game. let's enjoy it.
predesad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 16:37   #389
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 20:35   #390
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
SR does not quit.

Quote:
Is he prickly? Yes. Is he a bit of a curmudgeon, like me? Yes. Is he unsatisfied with the state of C3C as it stands? Yes. Actually, I think you can chalk up most of his comments to that last item.
This wasn't particularly clear from his post.