Old January 20, 2004, 23:11   #421
predesad
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 08:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

Maybe we could start a second tournament for those who didn't make it to Tournament one, but I don't think we should start that one before this tournament has been started....
im a little confused, what's the difference between starting a second tournament later and starting a second tournament now 4 the swarms of participants that seem 2 want 2 join this one as opposed 2 adding a game 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ...
predesad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2004, 00:04   #422
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 09:54
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Rommel2D: Spanish
Forget the Sammy Smith's, mas tequila!
Old January 21, 2004, 00:20   #423
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 23:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Rommel2D

Forget the Sammy Smith's, mas tequila!
You would like some TEQUILA ?

As an advocate of all thungs British, I am saddened by your attitude, but as a publican, I am more than willing to help you with your loss.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	one tequila two tequila.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	62398  

Last edited by Paddy; January 21, 2004 at 00:31.
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2004, 06:49   #424
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:54
Quote:
Originally posted by predesad
im a little confused, what's the difference between starting a second tournament later and starting a second tournament now 4 the swarms of participants that seem 2 want 2 join this one as opposed 2 adding a game 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ...
I just wanted to be sure game 5 was in the air before starting a second tournament, otherwise it could end up a little confusing...

Does anyone Volunteer to be the one who starts up the second tournament, and keeps track on who plays which game and such?
Old January 22, 2004, 02:28   #425
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Not me. This one's enough.

P.S.: I've recieved a password from Sir Osis for Game 6. He's the only player I've recieved a pw from so far for that game.
Old January 22, 2004, 02:37   #426
Rommel2D
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Does anyone Volunteer to be the one who starts up the second tournament, and keeps track on who plays which game and such?
I'd say give this tournament a little time to develop and see how the format goes. The official patch will probably be a good time to start another. In the mean time, we can keep record of who is interested.
Old January 23, 2004, 11:10   #427
Rommel2D
staff

Can we include Octavian X's email in the first post, also? Everybody knows about the time limit for turns, right?
Old January 23, 2004, 11:29   #428
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Rommel2D
Can we include Octavian X's email in the first post, also? Everybody knows about the time limit for turns, right?
This is good stuff.

ADG & Octavian have done a great job, and I fully understand why they do not want to volenteer to set up and organise another Tournament at this time. Especially when we are only just getting the initial Thousand years done.

As to someone else coming forward, well it sounds very very quiet out there in the halls.

@ ADG, could the "time limit" for each turn please be added to the initial post on this thread.

Old January 23, 2004, 11:49   #429
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Sure thing
Did we agree on a 24 hour limit?

But I don't remember having seen Oct X post his email, so I can't add it...
Old January 23, 2004, 11:53   #430
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Why couldn't the winners of Games 1-4 play a game and the winners of Games 5-8 (assuming we get than many) play a game?

Then perhaps have a final game between the top 2 of those games.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2004, 11:55   #431
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Because 1 game takes a very long time to finish... two games (played after each other) takes double time... having a third game would then take a much longer time... the winner of this tournament wont be found until at least a few years then...
Old January 23, 2004, 13:09   #432
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 15:54
You have something better to do?
Old January 23, 2004, 22:54   #433
Rommel2D
staff

Well, it would be fitting for an Apolyton tournament to run on a 4 year olympiad schedule, but someone needs to convince me these 2 rounds will be finished in 4 years before I consider that 3 rounds could... :-/
Old January 24, 2004, 00:34   #434
Rommel2D
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Did we agree on a 24 hour limit?

But I don't remember having seen Oct X post his email, so I can't add it...
I proposed a 24 hour limit, a few people said it was Ok, and nobody objected. As I pointed out before, after the time it takes to notice a delay, notify people and resend the save to Octavian X, it will probably end up like more of a 48 or 72 hour limit anyway...

Speaking of which, I just noticed we can't send attachments when clicking on the mail option in a person's posts. How should we send you turns, great torus-shaped pastry devotee?

Um, I know this is all pretty experimental right now, but if someone plays a turn without posting in the turn thread, there's no way to tell if they are causing a delay or if the turn is just slowly making its way around...

Last edited by Rommel2D; January 24, 2004 at 00:49.
Rommel2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 07:28   #435
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Yeah, people should start learning to post a 'sent' message in the turn threads... sure, one can miss from time to time, but missing each turn is too much...
Old January 24, 2004, 17:56   #436
Paddy
Prince

Game 4 - Update
We are into 3450BC

Ok, so I fiqure we are 12 turns for 12 days... 1 turn per day...

Hopefully we will pick up a few turns in the coming week - weeks.

We had a great initial run, then came off the rails for a day...

Basically we doing alright.

Old January 24, 2004, 18:04   #437
predesad
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Yeah, people should start learning to post a 'sent' message in the turn threads... sure, one can miss from time to time, but missing each turn is too much...
i think posting a 'sent' message is a courtesy, maybe i have overlooked it, but dont recall seeing it listed as a requirement 4 the tournament, sure, i'll post the sent message when i'm able, but if i dont i dont.
Old January 24, 2004, 19:09   #438
Paddy
Prince

Quote:

i think posting a 'sent' message is a courtesy, maybe i have overlooked it, but dont recall seeing it listed as a requirement 4 the tournament, sure, i'll post the sent message when i'm able, but if i dont i dont.
I understand what you say here Predesad, as you are your own master etc.

Just a side point, alot of time has been saved several times in various PBEM games, when the people post that they have sent the save, then if it does not arrive within a good period of time, the next person has been able to back track it, and have it resent etc.

So to, I have seen days wasted where no post was made, so the next person politely waited for the save to arrive... and everything ground to a halt.

Yes, it is your option to post 'sent', but I believe that it is a good option, especially in keeping these Tournament games moving along.

Old January 24, 2004, 19:38   #439
Rommel2D
staff

I don't know if the notification went out to everyone in the tournament or just those in his game, but predesad has a herniated disc and will be going in for surgery next week. [Thanks for keeping up with your turns and good luck again.]

This brings up another issue for the tournament; should we allocate a certain amount of 'time off' for players who have vacations or other prearranged absences? Or should it be required that they find a substitute or default to Oct X? Is there a limit on how long a substitue can play for?
Old January 24, 2004, 20:52   #440
predesad
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy the Scot

I understand what you say here Predesad, as you are your own master etc.

Just a side point, alot of time has been saved several times in various PBEM games, when the people post that they have sent the save, then if it does not arrive within a good period of time, the next person has been able to back track it, and have it resent etc.

So to, I have seen days wasted where no post was made, so the next person politely waited for the save to arrive... and everything ground to a halt.

Yes, it is your option to post 'sent', but I believe that it is a good option, especially in keeping these Tournament games moving along.

i agree w/ u here 100%, in fact some games i am in, instead of turn sent post, we send a reply email to the player letting them know we got the turn, it does help, but in my particular case, i am doing good right now 2 take the turns & would appreciate no complaints about my not posting the turn sent, its not like it happens every turn anyway, because it is a courtesy, not a requirement. normally it is something i would do 2 help move along the game, sometimes not always an option.
Old January 24, 2004, 20:57   #441
Paddy
Prince

Quote:

i agree w/ u here 100%, in fact some games i am in, instead of turn sent post, we send a reply email to the player letting them know we got the turn, it does help, but in my particular case, i am doing good right now 2 take the turns & would appreciate no complaints about my not posting the turn sent, its not like it happens every turn anyway, because it is a courtesy, not a requirement. normally it is something i would do 2 help move along the game, sometimes not always an option.
Hi Predesad,

no malice or ill intent meant your way in anyway shape or form.

Old January 24, 2004, 22:04   #442
predesad
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Quote:
no malice or ill intent meant your way in anyway shape or form.
& i took no offense 2 ur comment whatsoever, Mr. Scot, & same 2 u

however this is a problem in game #1, I am the problem, i personally feel it should have been dealt w/ by email, pm, or even posting in the game 1 thread, but instead:

Quote:
Um, I know this is all pretty experimental right now, but if someone plays a turn without posting in the turn thread, there's no way to tell if they are causing a delay or if the turn is just slowly making its way around...
Quote:
the problem was brought to the main tournament thread by two of my opponents and that i resent. obviously i am pissed right now, but-

Quote:
One more time i woud like to ask ... put aside their differences, make peace and play the game ... what i am saying is all the whining, all the complaining, all the crying is making this tourney not fun ...
i think i'll just take my own advice i offered when there was another problem and i'll just shut up about it.

I would like 2 apologize 2 everyone in this thread for any inconvenience or discourtesy caused by the airing out of this problem i am causing in game 1.
Old January 24, 2004, 22:43   #443
Rommel2D
staff

Predesad, I didn't mean for you to be the focus of my comment. I've been watching the other turn threads and a couple seem to be lagging. I'll bet ADG noticed the same thing because some people in them aren't posting at all. AFAIK, this is a completely new process and we should work out the kinks as soon as possible. I think our game is actually going pretty well...

Last edited by Rommel2D; January 24, 2004 at 22:52.
Rommel2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2004, 23:05   #444
Paddy
Prince

Yes, Predesad, you are by not the only person not posting "sent".

Old February 7, 2004, 12:11   #445
Paddy
Prince

Game IV - Update
We are into 2710BC

So I fiqure we are now 26 turns for 24 days. Just up on the 1 turn per day idea...

Basically we doing alright, staying the course.

How are the over games going?
Old February 7, 2004, 14:21   #446
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Game 1 has reached 3000BC, we have had a few small delays, but nothing special... on the other hand, we also have had some great days: One day we managed to play 3-4 turns within a few hours
Old February 7, 2004, 17:08   #447
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Game 3 has reached 2850BC. Seems to be going well.
Old February 8, 2004, 07:21   #448
Iron Jackson
C3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Prince

Game 2 has reached 3450 BC. We had a small problem at the beginning, but now we´re cruisin´ along with a turn per day.
Old February 8, 2004, 21:49   #449
Rommel2D
staff

Game 5 seems to be at 3750BC. The add more players and turn limit ideas are working perfectly.

Maybe we should leave some donuts sitting around in the turn thread...?
Old February 11, 2004, 02:11   #450
Rommel2D
staff

mini-poll
I think we sort of agreed to use the 1.12 patch until the official one came out, but I get the feeling this might not have been followed by everyone. Are some people playing with unpatched or 1.15 versions? I'm wondering if upgrading to 1.15 will affect anything.

Does anyone know for sure if the corruption model is determined by whoever starts the game, refigured by the first player each turn, or what?